Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HD broken - concerned about personal data before redeeming warranty

Options
  • 06-08-2014 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

I've got a WD Passport which has stopped working, clicking repeatedly and it doesn't register when connected to my laptop. It's still within warranty but I'm worried that if I send it back, that my personal data will be vulnerable eg sold to some dodgy sod in <insert less than reputable country of choice>.

Basically if it's broken I'm hoping it's really broken?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

where'd ya buy it?

Do you have to send it back?

Ring up and tell them you're gonna drill a hole in it to protect your Data before sending it back. See what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Explain that you don't want to send the drive due to sensitive data concerns. Be polite but firm.

And then.....

pACE3-5734467dt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I got it from PC World, the warranty is up in October. It's actually been broken for three months but I've been weighing up the personal data v the €90 it cost me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I got it from PC World, the warranty is up in October. It's actually been broken for three months but I've been weighing up the personal data v the €90 it cost me

No problem whatsoever then, bring it down to PC World with your own laptop, plug it into your own machine and show that its broken, get a replacement and put a nail through the faulty one. Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Put it in the microwave, very little physical damage on the outside but useless on the inside.

Retailers usually will not replace with a new one unless they get the faulty one back because they need to send the faulty units to the manufacturers for credit themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

davo2001 wrote: »
    Put it in the microwave, very little physical damage on the outside but useless on the inside.

Retailers usually will not replace with a new one unless they get the faulty one back because they need to send the faulty units to the manufacturers for credit themselves.

That will probably destroy the microwave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    That will probably destroy the microwave

Then warranty the microwave....... the circle of life continues :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Mmm, wut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy