Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract cancellation

Options
  • 06-08-2014 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My contract is up in February with Eircom as I feel Broadband is dreadful I am considering cancelling Eircom altogether ,can I cancel my contract now as I feel I am not getting a good service  and as for contacting by phone you are pushed around OR cut off .Eircom customer staff not great .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

My contract is up in February with Eircom as I feel Broadband is dreadful I am considering cancelling Eircom altogether ,can I cancel my contract now as I feel I am not getting a good service  and as for contacting by phone you are pushed around OR cut off .Eircom customer  staff not great .
    Hi Breeda

I am sorry to hear you have not been happy with the Customer Service you have received from Eircom.

It would be possible for you to cancel while under contract but it would be on the basis that you accept the early termination or Cancellation charges. To enquire about Cancelling you should contact the Cancellations department on 1901 (Option 2 and then Option 4).

thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Breeda walshe

My contract is up in February with Eircom as I feel Broadband is dreadful I am considering cancelling Eircom altogether ,can I cancel my contract now as I feel I am not getting a good service  and as for contacting by phone you are pushed around OR cut off .Eircom customer  staff not great .
    Hi Breeda

I am sorry to hear you have not been happy with the Customer Service you have received from Eircom.

It would be possible for you to cancel while under contract but it would be on the basis that you accept the early termination or Cancellation charges. To enquire about Cancelling you should contact the Cancellations department on 1901 (Option 2 and then Option 4).

thanks
    Colm
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

I am considering moving to Eircom broadband who tell me my line is good for 3MB which I am fine with - my current provider Sky have struggled to give me a reliable broadband service since I signed up with them in March ( I sometimes get speeds as low as 200kb..! and mostly at weekends but its a regular problem and bone of contention with me) Sky have done their best and despite two separate call outs by Eircom engineers they confirm my line is 100% and its rated for 3MB..

Bottom line is Sky are releasing me from my contract as they cannot give me what they promised - fair enough to you Sky and they are also refunding my money from the start of the contract - another fair play to Sky to give them credit they accepted they can't supply as part of the contract agreed.

Now in comes Eircom and despite my many times asking the following question they claim that I cannot cancel any contract with them - period 

Question to Eircom.

you claim my line is good for 3MB - I am happy as long as its reasonably reliable - I accept there can be glitches but I am happy to have 2MB given my location so my question is - " if you cannot supply me a reliable broadband service as part of your contract and your technical dept can't sort out any claims I make about low speeds - can I terminate my contract with you Eircom as you have not kept your part of the agreement 

Answer from Eircom ---- NO  I am allowed to cancel the contract !! 

WTF how do you deal with that sort of illogical position ! 

Has anybody experienced this crap

In fairless to SKY they accepted their position and offered me a full refund and a termination of contract after only 4 months - I reluctantly accepted their offer but now back at square one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

eskerman wrote: »
    I am considering moving to Eircom broadband who tell me my line is good for 3MB which I am fine with - my current provider Sky have struggled to give me a reliable broadband service since I signed up with them in March ( I sometimes get speeds as low as 200kb..! and mostly at weekends but its a regular problem and bone of contention with me) Sky have done their best and despite two separate call outs by Eircom engineers they confirm my line is 100% and its rated for 3MB..

Bottom line is Sky are releasing me from my contract as they cannot give me what they promised - fair enough to you Sky and they are also refunding my money from the start of the contract - another fair play to Sky to give them credit they accepted they can't supply as part of the contract agreed.

Now in comes Eircom and despite my many times asking the following question they claim that I cannot cancel any contract with them - period 

Question to Eircom.

you claim my line is good for 3MB - I am happy as long as its reasonably reliable - I accept there can be glitches but I am happy to have 2MB given my location so my question is - " if you cannot supply me a reliable broadband service as part of your contract and your technical dept can't sort out any claims I make about low speeds - can I terminate my contract with you Eircom as you have not kept your part of the agreement 

Answer from Eircom ---- NO  I am allowed to cancel the contract !! 

WTF how do you deal with that sort of illogical position ! 

Has anybody experienced this crap

In fairless to SKY they accepted their position and offered me a full refund and a termination of contract after only 4 months - I reluctantly accepted their offer but now back at square one

Hi eskerman

I can confirm under eircoms terms and conditions of service, broadband cannot be guaranteed. When broadband is delivered speeds are sold and provided on the condition of 'up to' the mentioned speed.

A phone line is required for eircom broadband and as all phone lines come with a 12 month contract it is not possible to arrange a specific condition to where upon the contract can be negated.

I can understand that this is disappointing in consideration of your current position however the existing terms and condition of service cannot be waived in accordance of circumstance and it is ultimately your decision whether to accept them or not.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭eskerman

Thanks Alan

I am still struggling to get my head around the point that seems to be the one selling point used " up to 3MB " ! Its like say the water supply pipe to your hose can take 200ltrs/min however we can only deliver 75ltrs/min 

The landline is of no value to me - its just a vehicle for a broadband connection.

I took this up a few gears and called the following agency's 

Citizens Advice
    National Consumer Agency 
    Comreg 

What I am told is as a consumer I have protection and if a service provider is not providing me with the service that was signed up for then you are protected within your rights and that Comreg would get involved if a service provider did not honour the agreement 

This is as variance to your position 

Or does Eircom hide behind the "up to 3MB" statement which basically means any speed high or low you pay for - if its regularly low hard luck 

Contracts must work both ways - If I don't pay then i am in breach - If Eircom don't provide me with a reliable broadband speed of up to 3MB ( not 300kb) then they are in breach 

Am I missing something here or is it all one sided 

Regards
    Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

eskerman wrote: »
    Thanks Alan

I am still struggling to get my head around the point that seems to be the one selling point used " up to 3MB " ! Its like say the water supply pipe to your hose can take 200ltrs/min however we can only deliver 75ltrs/min 

The landline is of no value to me - its just a vehicle for a broadband connection.

I took this up a few gears and called the following agency's 

Citizens Advice
    National Consumer Agency 
    Comreg 

What I am told is as a consumer I have protection and if a service provider is not providing me with the service that was signed up for then you are protected within your rights and that Comreg would get involved if a service provider did not honour the agreement 

This is as variance to your position 

Or does Eircom hide behind the "up to 3MB" statement which basically means any speed high or low you pay for - if its regularly low hard luck 

Contracts must work both ways - If I don't pay then i am in breach - If Eircom don't provide me with a reliable broadband speed of up to 3MB ( not 300kb) then they are in breach 

Am I missing something here or is it all one sided 

Regards
    Paul
    Hi eskerman

Yes I understand that if service is not being provided then it's not right to charge you for it and equally hold you to a contract however the provision of a phone line (which is needed for broadband) is provided under the terms of it's own merit which does not included broadband - I understand that you will only use it for broadband but this is your choice and ultimately a phone line merit is making and receiving calls not broadband (under eircoms terms and conditions).

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement