Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What have been some really, really bad decisions in the world of entertainment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

TV3's The Box hosted by Keith Duffy.. Ireland's Big Brother indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ItsShane

REC 3: What the hell were they thinking? We wanted to know what happened with Angela! Luckily they're making a 4th and forgetting about the 3rd one.

Exorcist 3

Allowing Hulk Hogan to continue wrestling at such an old age.

The cancellation of Scrubs. OK, I know it went down hill for the last 2 seasons, final one being awful, but I never wanted it to end :(

The strike during Heroes. Bring on the new season next year!

Not getting Hayden Panettiere to do a topless scene in Heroes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Ryan Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    At the complete other end of the spectrum, Simon Cowell also turned down the Spice Girls.
    I thought it was Take That he turned down and told them to get rid of the fat one aka Gary Barlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Twink at the FG (?) Ard Fheis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Rebooting Star Wars. The Phantom Menace in particular is truly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Every movie Schwarzenegger has made since he returned from politics. Especially 'Terminator Genisys'. *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Candie wrote: »
    It didn't bother anyone when the original had all male leads. Don't see the problem with female leads for a change.

Want to place a bet on how much suckage that movie would generate? How absolutely cringeworthy it would be?

We could remake harry potter with an entire adult cast. Or Steel magnolias with an all male cast. Or we could remake How stella got her groove back with...actually, let's not touch that film.

I'm not saying that you couldn't have a female ghostbuster or two, but all of them? That would suck.
    Besides, Melissa Mccarthy is no Aykroyd, Ramis or Murray. They were comedy greats. Ghostbusters had the three biggest comedy writers/actors of the 80's along with one of the greatest comedy directors. To be fair, any remake would pale in comparison and would probably be a huge mistake.

This haircut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Alien Vs. Predator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Stephen King placing a self imposed ban on himself from directing movies.

Stephen King allowing his books to be turned into low-budget TV movies:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

What have been some really, really bad decisions in the world of entertainment? the movies ignoring the internet.

to me this is the cause of so many problems they have today, top actors are making "tv shows" for netfix and the likes. thats great for us the end users, however, going to the movies now is a bit of a pain tbh. we could see big budget movies been a thing of the past. but on the upside plays and theatre are in higher demand. Also if your keeping an eye on computers you'd know that a virtual actor and movie is just around the corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Toy Story 2. - The first movie is an absolute gem from start to finish. It ushered in that CGI/Pixar age. Absolutely brilliant.

Giving Ryan Tubridy air time. - The chap is a horrendous interviewer. Most recently I recall him attempting to interview Brian May (of Queen) and the cast of Anchorman 2. If you want a lesson in how to ask somebody about somebody else, look at those interviews.

Irish Radio in general. Everything about it is so mundane and unoriginal. "Hey, Nova, play some local music instead of Kashmir for the 7000th time today. Cheers!"

Deciding that Jersey Shore deserved anything more than a single season. - I'm not ashamed to say I watched it. It was funny and watching such eccentric people go off the rails was amusing. But then something terrible happened. It became socially acceptable. Instead of being ridiculed it was being adored. Humanity may never recover.

Big Brother. - No words needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

preytec wrote: »
    however, going to the movies now is a bit of a pain tbh.
    Couldn't disagree more to be honest. Offers a level of immersion that's very hard to replicate even without accounting for how it's now a bit of a haven from the countless number of potential distractions there are from properly watching a film in the modern world. There's definitely a place for it.

Big budget movies are hardly dead either.
    It's not like the industry is ignoring the internet regardless, VoD's been pretty huge for smaller films for a good while and they've done plenty of experiments a la Tower Heist's release approach of quickly putting it out on VoD after the theatrical release.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Ghostbusters 3 to have an all female lead cast with the very annoying Melissa McCarthy?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/10346944/New-Ghostbusters-movie-may-go-all-female

This cannot happen!

What have been some really, really bad decisions in the world of entertainment (film, TV etc)?
    Custardpi wrote: »
    Why not? You can be pretty much guaranteed that whoever is in the reboot it won't be a patch on the original film. An all female cast would at least be a bit different, could be interesting.

Steady on there lads it's Ghostbusters not feckin' Citizen Kane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

I reckon the world deserves/needs a really ****e, franchise-killing Ghostbusters so that people will shut up about there being a new one. Ghostbusters 3 has been talked about for as long as I can remember, Ramis is dead but sure if that's not gonna stop them at least losing a ton of money would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Firefly being canceled is basically the single greatest tragedy and mistake in TV history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

stmol32 wrote: »

Not everything has to be! I'm more than capable of appreciating "high brow" & "classic" cinema. However, I also firmly believe that there's room for other levels of creation in the medium, which don't necessarily aspire to be high art but can be extremely well made in their own right. Popcorn blockbusters deserve to be judged within the context of that class of film & can quite legitimately be discussed & critiqued on that basis. Dismissal of them as a whole is just snobbery in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Hoop66

stmol32 wrote: »

Ever seen Citizen Kane? It's boring as fuck.

Yes, yes, I know it was groundbreaking in so many ways, but its BORING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

ItsShane wrote: »
    Exorcist 3

I actually like that one, scared the crap out of me! Now, the second one, that was something I couldn't sit through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

krudler wrote: »
    Let's wait 19 years to make the next Indiana Jones movie! people will love seeing an old age Indy run around with that twatwaffle from Transformers.

I must be the only person in the world who liked that film! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

Gerry Ryan.

It's not often I thank cocaine for improving society but it was a godsend where he was concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Nintendo pulling out of a deal with Sony to create a joint console. The result was Sony creating the playstaion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ghostbusters 3 to have an all female lead cast with the very annoying Melissa McCarthy?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/10346944/New-Ghostbusters-movie-may-go-all-female

This cannot happen!

What have been some really, really bad decisions in the world of entertainment (film, TV etc)?

She won't be the one going down manholes anyways. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The Godfather 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Theta wrote: »
    Nintendo pulling out of a deal with Sony to create a joint console. The result was Sony creating the playstaion.

That was actually a good thing as it led to the creation of one of the greatest consoles of all time, the Playstation 1 - Nintendo were also able to carry on and do their own thing without having both companies merge their gaming products.

If they'd gone with the CD attachment for the Snes I reckon it would have been a huge flop, like every other similar console add on. Might have completely turned Sony off the idea of getting into the console business.

Only down side to it is that they had to cut down Secret of Mana by loads to fit it on a cartridge rather than a CD-Rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Freddie Mercury deciding to stick his winkie up some bad man's bum.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 yip yoke yop yuk

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Big Brother. - No words needed.
    Ah now.. The first few years of it were good, Something different anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Batman & Robin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Jennifer Grey's nosejob.

"Who?", you say? EXACTLY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

That was basically Nintendo just not wanting to move to disc based consoles, wasn't it? That was the number one reason Final Fantasy VII ended up on Playstation, that's probably the worst decision Nintendo has ever made!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Adamantium wrote: »
    An old one:

Fox cancelling Firefly and Joss Whedon not going back to it (with all the grunt he has now as of 2014), instead he is focusing on Marvel shiitee.

What happened to Firefly afterwards with Netflix and DVD/BluRay is akin to what happened to the original Star Trek in the 70's and 80's after it was cancelled, there's a head of steam built for it come back on name alone. aka The Next Generation

There was never any point going back to it because so much of what he had planned for the series from the start, he used for Serenity and the comics. The stories he wanted to tell with it, he simply told in a different (and much shorter) form. Add to that Serenity not doing well enough for the studio to make a sequel, he was better off moving on to other things tbh. As he said himself about trying to keep Firefly alive, "At what point does this stop being CPR and start becoming necrophilia?"

That being said, I agree cancelling the show in the first place was one of the worst decisions in entertainment. The show had an insane amount of potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The mini-series comeback of Red Dwarf a few years back. *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Because Bill Murray.

End of debate ;)

"Yes, this is true. This man has no Dick" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Robocop, the new one. Why oh why do Hollywood feel the need to remake classic films.

Also Spiderman, Ok lets make a film... right that was crap, lets try again.... ok, that didn't work either, lets have another go...

The need for Hollywood to make sequels of anything that is successful, can they not just leave it alone?!

Adam Sandler movies... first few were good but I really have no idea why he is still employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

The Scary Movies Series 1-5, dear lord what posessed movie executives to throw cash at in order to make such inept thrash making crap films :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Ah here, the first one was enjoyable enough. It was at least a bit different when it came out. The rest are obviously utter ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

RoboRat wrote: »
    Robocop, the new one. Why oh why do Hollywood feel the need to remake classic films.

Also Spiderman, Ok lets make a film... right that was crap, lets try again.... ok, that didn't work either, lets have another go...

The need for Hollywood to make sequels of anything that is successful, can they not just leave it alone?!

Adam Sandler movies... first few were good but I really have no idea why he is still employed.

Too much money being made to leave it alone, unfortunately. Here are the top ten grossing movies in the US so far this year:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2014&p=.htm

7/10 are sequels.
    The non-sequels are still based on pre-existing properties: a reboot of Godzilla, a re-imagining of Sleeping Beauty, and The Lego Movie.

And as for Spidey, it's written into Sony's contract a stipulation that if they do not make a Spidey movie within a set period of time, the film rights revert to Marvel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

RoboRat wrote: »

He owns the production company

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Madison_Productions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Transformers 2. Shameful, awful pathetic crap. First one was really good I thought.

Man Of Steel - Biggest letdown in cinematic history for me. It actually changed my expectations now of movies. I just dont buy into hype anymore (which is a good thing). ZS shouldnt have been let near it.

The Scary Movies Series 1-5, dear lord what posessed movie executives to throw cash at in order to make such inept thrash making crap films :mad:

No another teen movie. Epic movie. etc....

They were all so so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Whoever gave kim kardashian and her stupid family a tv show. I'm sick of the sight of each and every one of them

last action hero

It was designed to be a pisstake but the studio took it seriously and put Arnie in it.

Plus the final nail in the coffin. it was due to be released the same week as a Spielberg film. Spielberg hadn't had a huge hit in a while and it was a strange film he was making so the studio weren't worried about it. "Who wants to watch a load of Dinosaurs" was the quote I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Grayson wrote: »
    last action hero

It was designed to be a pisstake but the studio took it seriously and put Arnie in it.

Plus the final nail in the coffin. it was due to be released the same week as a Spielberg film. Spielberg hadn't had a huge hit in a while and it was a strange film he was making so the studio weren't worried about it. "Who wants to watch a load of Dinosaurs" was the quote I believe.

Cult-Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

No another teen movie. Epic movie. etc....

They were all so so bad.

Yeah those spins off were brutal, yeah first Scary Movie was ok, but the rest were terrible, agree with the Epic Movie, that was pretty bad also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭KahBoom

'Lost in La Mancha' - a brilliant documentary about Terry Gilliam's failed attempt at filming a movie based on the character Don Quixote.

It's an A-Z of how anything and everything can go wrong making a movie, yet it's sad because you see there was potentially a good movie to come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Letting Michael Bay make anything

iDave wrote: »
    Letting Michael Bay make anything after The Rock

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Star Wars and whole "midi-chlorians" fiasco

Peter Jackson using CGI orcs over the Prostetic orcs that looked so cool in LotR trilogy

Unnecessary reboots : Robocop, Knight Rider TV show etc

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

FYP

I had to check if Bad Boys came out before The Rock. It did, you're grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement