Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What have been some really, really bad decisions in the world of entertainment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Smurph90

Dont know how anyone can call taken 2 a bad decision. Budget of 45 million with a box office of 376 million. Makes sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Smurph90 wrote: »
    Dont know how anyone can call taken 2 a bad decision. Budget of 45 million with a box office of 376 million. Makes sense to me

Like half the things in this thread are just "people made a financially motivated decision which led to them making lots of money!". Call me crazy but those sound like good decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

:(
    Don't listen to him oh One True God. All of your films are amazing :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Egginacup wrote: »
    Kevin Costner being given an audition.

Ah now Egg, don't be so hard boiled.
    Kevin was brilliant in Dances with Wolves and Field of Dreams.
    Admittedly, it all went a bit downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Don't know if it's been said already, but David Caruso leaving N.Y.P.D. Blue to pursue a film career and choosing the worst roles he could have.

Microsoft's XBOX ONE anouncement/unveiling.

DC Comics films in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

The scripted reality TV genre... Survivor, Big Brother, Ibiza Uncovered, Cops, Sex & Suspicious Parents, Storage Wars, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Spielberg and Lucas going back to their old films like ET and Star Wars to change and add shìtty CGI to them which dated horribly more than the original films' effects themselves.

You know it was a bad decision when Spielberg himself recently said he regretted doing it and that the original ET is the only cut that people should know of, not what he did to the re-release.

On top of making some ropey CGI additions of ET, he edited out guns to put in walkie-talkies for feck sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The farce that is Atari Jaguar is worse.

The Atari Lynx was actually a pretty decent handheld, 16 bit with a colour screen back in 1989. Didn't do too badly too.

Would be interesting to see how it would have done long term if not for the Gameboy dominating the market.

The Jaguar though, what a mess. I quite like collecting and playing terrible/failed consoles for some bizarre reason - christ, does the Jaguar not disappoint in that regard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Some truly awful, awful games for that machine that really showed it's limitations with only very few exceptions.

At least it has a new lease of life as a dental machine now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Thanks, OP. I've spent far too much time this morning trying to cast an all-female Ghostbusters.

I want to get Julia Louis-Dreyfus in the mix somewhere. And maybe Lily Tomlin. Hmm, Christine Baranski?

Perhaps Jane Curtin.

Danielle Brooks to finish it off.

Maggie Q if you need someone for stunts.

Even throw Emma Thompson in there somewhere. Or, if you want to truly reach feats of excellence, Maggie Smith.

I have too many Ghostbusters. I think I'm getting too fond of this idea.

PS - Alison Janney.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Smurph90 wrote: »

And all the Transformers sequels made billions of dollars. Doesnt mean they're still not abominations of cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Super Mario Brothers the Movie
    What a terrible movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

SEGA investing and depending so heavily in Sonic the Hedgehog. SEGA clearly forgot the phrase "Don't put your eggs in one basket". Sonic was hot in his day, but now the little critter is bit beyond retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Letting Walter Junior exist in Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Don't know if it's been said already, but David Caruso leaving N.Y.P.D. Blue to pursue a film career and choosing the worst roles he could have.
    Well yeah, he is a TV actor all day long, that face of his doesn't blow up well on a cinema screen. He is a poor actor anyway, I doubt is was him choosing the bad movie roles, more like that's all he could get. Then he saw sense and went back to telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Letting Johnny Depp near any film.

The farce that was Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

Allowing those two weirdos have complete control over the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies. A whole load of waffle about computer stuff that hardly anyone could understand, and Morpheus's speech in Zion was one of the cringiest moments in movie history.

Adrien Brody in Predators. The movie had great potential. Allowing that pale faced ironing board be the lead was a huge mistake.

Adam Sandler being an overgrown fratboy in every movie he's in. An awful eejit. Same goes for that clown Seth Rogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Atari Lynx was actually a pretty decent handheld, 16 bit with a colour screen back in 1989. Didn't do too badly too.

Would be interesting to see how it would have done long term if not for the Gameboy dominating the market.
    Was there a better gaming experience than playing California Games or Paperboy on the Atari Lynx? I sure don't think so!

I have one back home in the attic, but lost the games. Must check eBay, they probably go cheap as nobody has love for the Lynx these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Howard The Duck (1986).

The biggest mis-calculation in Hollywood history.

An alcoholic, foul-mouthed, gambling, womanising duck...that will make a perfect family film!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

An Idiot abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

gugleguy wrote: »
    SEGA investing and depending so heavily in Sonic the Hedgehog. SEGA clearly forgot the phrase "Don't put your eggs in one basket". Sonic was hot in his day, but now the little critter is bit beyond retirement.

Except for the first game which sold huge numbers, Sonic has usually sold consistently between 1-2 million. Sega has known this for the past 20 years. There's no reason to think they don't factor that into their cost/profit analysis. Sega's real problem was interdepartmental politics and a string of failed hardware (Mega CD & 32X) as well as making a hames of the Saturn launch and quickly announcing that it wasn't their future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Splitting Harry Potter 7 into 2 parts. Now it's become standard for those kinds of movies (Hunger Games etc.), even when there isn't really enough plot to justify 2 parts. Same with making The Hobbit a trilogy, I enjoyed the first two but they feel very bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Omackeral wrote: »
    Letting Walter Junior exist in Breaking Bad.

Same can be said for Carl in The Walking Dead. Every episode is spent just waiting for that kid to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

gugleguy wrote: »

gotta blow money fast

MJ23 wrote: »

Have you seen Donnie Brasco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rocky 5. Let's make it that he fights no one .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Custardpi wrote: »
    What do you mean? Bit of a strange one at times (Snoop Lion how are ye?) but back in the 90s he was one of the best things about hip hop. Listen to Doggystyle, still holds up as an essential album of the genre imo. Even today he's still capable of almost effortless greatness. He contributed a throw away, bubblegum rap verse to Katy Perry's "California Gurls" a few years back that was almost certainly dashed off in about 5 minutes but was still better than just about anything Drake or Lil' Wayne have put out in their careers.

That wouldn't be difficult.
    Hunger Games - a pussy version of Battle Royale, where an ex-con is out for revenge against the TV network.

FYP, although I actually did like the Hunger Games.

MJ23 wrote: »

The farce that was Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

Allowing those two weirdos have complete control over the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies. A whole load of waffle about computer stuff that hardly anyone could understand, and Morpheus's speech in Zion was one of the cringiest moments in movie history.

Adrien Brody in Predators. The movie had great potential. Allowing that pale faced ironing board be the lead was a huge mistake.

Adam Sandler being an overgrown fratboy in every movie he's in. An awful eejit. Same goes for that clown Seth Rogan.

we need to go bowling!!!! I agree with all of the above. I also rekon jason segal wakes up every morning, beside brendan frazier and neither can believe their luck!! how does the phone keep ringing for these lads??????

I will say though, I wont have anyone bash VAN DAMME!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Prison Break from season 2 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭donegal__road

In 1967, Jimi Hendrix's management thought it would be a good idea for Jimi to be the support act for The Monkees tour of the USA.

Hendrix had already had 3 top ten hits in the UK at this stage, and was looking for a way into the American charts. Touring with The Monkees seemed like the logical way to do this. Micky Dolenz of The Monkees later said that they didn't care if Henfrix's act fitted or not, all they wanted was the opportunity to watch him up close every night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Custardpi wrote: »
    Why not? You can be pretty much guaranteed that whoever is in the reboot it won't be a patch on the original film. An all female cast would at least be a bit different, could be interesting.

Plus, I like Melissa McCarthy. She's an easy dislike figure though, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Ricky Gervais.

Somewhere, someone along the line decided he was 'funny', unfortunately for all and sundry this tag seems to have stuck.

Seriously. Maybe I'm a prude but I definitely don't get his humour.

Was watching an episode of 'Louie' last night where Ricky Gervais turned up. Tried to stick with it but couldn't. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

elekid wrote: »
    Splitting Harry Potter 7 into 2 parts. Now it's become standard for those kinds of movies (Hunger Games etc.), even when there isn't really enough plot to justify 2 parts. Same with making The Hobbit a trilogy, I enjoyed the first two but they feel very bloated.

To be fair, a lot happened in book 7. You compare what happened during the first 50 pages of book 7 to the first 50 pages of 1-6 and there is a massive difference in relevant story content. Books 1-6 had needless content that didn't make it to the movies (Hermione's SPEW nonsense). Book 7 started with a bang with almost every detail included and making that into a single movie would have made it needlessly long, IMO.

Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Tarzana wrote: »
    Was watching an episode of 'Louie' last night where Ricky Gervais turned up. Tried to stick with it but couldn't. :(

He was amazing presenting the golden globes :)

i was thinking about this thread last night. Something I read reminded me of it.
    i was watching Die hard and thought, could this work if John McClane was Jane McClane. I think with a little bit of a rewrite and a strong female lead it would work. Most of the film would have to be left alone. I know that John McClane was written as a man, but there's no reason to soften up the dialogue because it's a female character. It would still be a cop doing all the same stuff. Just that cop would happen to be played by a woman.

I think the problem would be if someone rewrote it for a female lead at this point, they would feminise it and lose what makes it special. I think the same would happen with Ghostbusters if Melissa McCarthy was in it. They'd rewrite large chunks to make it girly and ruin it.

We need more films that have female leads that are not only a romantic interests, but I think they need to stop writing the characters as women. When they do, the fact that the character is females seems to take priority. What I mean is that they seem to have one characteristic which over rides everything else, it's not that they're funny, or smary, or happy or sad it's that they are a woman.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mars Needs Moms

Pluto Nash

John Carter - the ad for it looked like it copied the arena scene from a 10 year older Star Wars film but with worse CGI

Golden Compass , yes the film made a profit , but the studio sold it off before then and lost their independence

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭prizefighter

I think Gary Glitter would be an ideal guest for Jimmy Saville, let's put them in a room full of kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Buddy Holly's final tour schedule.it crisscrossed over and back and went all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Have you seen Donnie Brasco?

Or Ed Wood ?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Coldplay allowing Brian Eno to produce them. Say what you want about coldplay, but they were a proper rock band before the bastard turned them into a commercially viable pop band for teenagers.

No they weren't and Eno usually adds something positive to the bands he produces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

No they weren't and Eno usually adds something positive to the bands he produces.

True. The Adversary was obviously once one of the "Coldplay Groupies"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

The Simpsons went down hill after the killing of Maud Flanders

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

I think Gary Glitter would be an ideal guest for Jimmy Saville, let's put them in a room full of kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WavXooCNzRg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Grayson wrote: »
    He was amazing presenting the golden globes :)

i was thinking about this thread last night. Something I read reminded me of it.
    i was watching Die hard and thought, could this work if John McClane was Jane McClane. I think with a little bit of a rewrite and a strong female lead it would work. Most of the film would have to be left alone. I know that John McClane was written as a man, but there's no reason to soften up the dialogue because it's a female character. It would still be a cop doing all the same stuff. Just that cop would happen to be played by a woman.

I think the problem would be if someone rewrote it for a female lead at this point, they would feminise it and lose what makes it special. I think the same would happen with Ghostbusters if Melissa McCarthy was in it. They'd rewrite large chunks to make it girly and ruin it.

We need more films that have female leads that are not only a romantic interests, but I think they need to stop writing the characters as women. When they do, the fact that the character is females seems to take priority. What I mean is that they seem to have one characteristic which over rides everything else, it's not that they're funny, or smary, or happy or sad it's that they are a woman.
    Ripley from the Alien franchise was originally meant to be a man. It's hard now to imagine anyone other than Sigourney in that role. They got the dialogue and acting down to a t. Female leads can be great but if they go down the Charlie's Angels route with Ghostbusters, it'll be sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

A lot of people seem to be upset with new editions of Star Wars. The originals were indeed groundbreaking.

I remember seen one of the of the new versions and the bad guy was a big robot called the "General" and he had a nasty cough!

What the? He is a droid!!! He does not breathe! How can he have asthma?? And the skinny little droids go "ouch" when they get shot? What? Robots feel pain too?

Damn you Lucas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Axl Rose deciding to continue GNR sans Slash, Duff & Izzy and releasing Chinese Democracy.

A cluster****

Made for some good unintentional comedy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The Simpsons went down hill after the killing of Maud Flanders

It went downhill a fair bit before that to be honest, evident in the need to kill off a character for shock tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

mj's decision to do the shows in the O2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Rebooting Spider-Man when it's feck all different to the 3 movies before them. Those new ones are 200 million dollar wastes of time and energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

A lot of people seem to be upset with new editions of Star Wars. The originals were indeed groundbreaking.

I remember seen one of the of the new versions and the bad guy was a big robot called the "General" and he had a nasty cough!

What the? He is a droid!!! He does not breathe! How can he have asthma?? And the skinny little droids go "ouch" when they get shot? What? Robots feel pain too?

Damn you Lucas!

I'm going to put on my pedant hat here, but General Grievous was a cyborg, as a result of a horrible spaceship crash.

e_e wrote: »
    Rebooting Spider-Man when it's feck all different to the 3 movies before them. Those new ones are 200 million dollar wastes of time and energy.

I was 15 minutes into the first reboot when I just had to switch it off. Its the exact same as Sam Raimi's first!

Why was this reboot even made?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Nicolas Cage

• Advertisement
Advertisement