Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a Peugeot - Opinions ?

• 07-08-2014 7:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    Ive started cycling in the last few months - Fat lazy git, hardly able to climb stairs without oxygen mask etc etc.

I am about 16 stone but this is gradually coming off thanks to an old MTB I am spinning around on. Its a complete horse of a yoke and is falling to bits and not worth putting cash into.

I have the chance to buy a 60cm 1987 Peugeot 531pro Aneto with all the proper old gear on it. Turbo saddle, New Sucess groupset, Phillippe bars and Wolber rims on New Sucess hubs... Its a rare thing in fairness as its red/white and looks really smart. I think it was in a friends attic for 20 years but it looks really really nice.

Better than that its steel so will suit me - She is about the price of a good second hand modern

I am in the market for a starter aluminium road bike and of course I have a dilemma.

Im not for doing the Tour so Should I buy the Peugeot and use it or wait out for a modern LaPierre or Felt or Carrera ?

Thanks Lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Ive started cycling in the last few months - Fat lazy git, hardly able to climb stairs without oxygen mask etc etc.

I am about 16 stone but this is gradually coming off thanks to an old MTB I am spinning around on. Its a complete horse of a yoke and is falling to bits and not worth putting cash into.

I have the chance to buy a 60cm 1987 Peugeot 531pro Aneto with all the proper old gear on it. Turbo saddle, New Sucess groupset, Phillippe bars and Wolber rims on New Sucess hubs... Its a rare thing in fairness as its red/white and looks really smart. I think it was in a friends attic for 20 years but it looks really really nice.

Better than that its steel so will suit me - She is about the price of a good second hand modern

I am in the market for a starter aluminium road bike and of course I have a dilemma.

Im not for doing the Tour so Should I buy the Peugeot and use it or wait out for a modern LaPierre or Felt or Carrera ?

Thanks Lads

Depends how pretty it is. Buy a bike you'll love to ride. Everything else is secondary.

That said 'the I'll never ride the tour'' thing is stupid. Would you only allow yourself a 998 Fiesta because ''I'll never race F1''.

If vintage stuff appeals to you give it a whirl. Steel frames are really nice imho but you'd better test ride it before dropping €400 on it. Sometimes the geometry of a bike just isn't your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Pop in to a bike shop and get a feel for a few different road bikes before you go for one, whether it's the vintage bike or a modern LaPierre, etc. You'll have a better idea of what you like, and where your contact points are going to be. Nice steel bikes are lovely to ride and lovely to look at, but make sure you know it's right for you before you go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Depends how pretty it is. Buy a bike you'll love to ride. Everything else is secondary.

That said 'the I'll never ride the tour'' thing is stupid. Would you only allow yourself a 998 Fiesta because ''I'll never race F1''.

If vintage stuff appeals to you give it a whirl. Steel frames are really nice imho but you'd better test ride it before dropping €400 on it. Sometimes the geometry of a bike just isn't your friend.

Would agree here, test both bike types before making a decision. No point in spending the money on the steel bike if it does not suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You also want to factor in the work you'll need to do on the Peugeot to make it roadworthy. All of the bearings will have dried out and will need re-greasing, cables may be seized and need replacing, brake pads should be replaced and tyres should be carefully checked. If you're mechanically minded, this will take an enjoyable afternoon or three. If not, you'll need an LBS happy to work on the old stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭piston

Old Peugeots ride really well. Very under-rated IMO.

My only concern is that it most probably has a 42/52 chainset. If you regularly use the low gears on your MTB, this may be a bit of a culture shock if you are in a hilly area but it's not too difficult to shove on one of the basic modern Stronglight Impact chainsets in something like 36/48 which will give gears for most occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Old Peugeots ride really well.

True! I still miss my PH11 sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Thanks for the advice lads. Myself and a mate went to the LBS yesterday afternoon and tried out a few bikes. Hes looking to purchase as well.

I tried a Felt Z and a LaPierre. Found the Felt Z good in fairness. Nice and responsive and nice on the road. The LaPierre didnt seem to be as responsive (tiredness perhaps) and was a bit choppier on the road. Remember I am just going on how I felt about the bikes. Mate thinks the Felt was teh better of the 2 as well.

We swung by to see the Peugeot again. The lad had her out the sun was shining and she was all ready to go. The Peugeot felt really really good under my 16st.. It feckin flies. Seems to be easier pushed than teh modern and soaked up the rough parts of the road with ease. Mate wants it as well and told me he would buy if I didnt.

So there you have it I am now the proud owner of a 1987 Peugeot 531pro. I pick her up and pay the balance at the weekend. The lad threw in a set of SIDI shoes with red Look Delta pedals in size 8 as well !

So first job is a set of tyres. I need strong tyres with amber or clear sidewalls. As advised I am going to strip down the axles, BB and Headset to get the bearings lubed up. I do a bit of screwing at machines so it should be no problem !

The freewheel is a 23/13 7 Speed and the chainrings are 39/52 so I will need to get fitter to push it up the hills

Cant wait to get out on her now.... I am deffo going to aim for maybe the Croi or sommit next year oh yes and lose 2-3 stones..

Thanks again for the tips lads

Good work! Post up a pic if you get a chance.

Are the wheels 27's or 700's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Well wear!

Oh and pics or gtfo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

I hope OP is well over 6ft !60cm frame !But it does sound nice ...

• Advertisement

2011abc wrote: »
    I hope OP is well over 6ft !60cm frame !But it does sound nice ...

Yeah Im 6 1" and about ^' wide to boot...!

Got the bike at the weekend and rather than succumb to temptation I took the headset and BB apart and hey presto it was dry enough.. Stripped and rebuilt the hubs as well and marveled at the engineering. Got into the lugs with an old toothbrush and then stood back and admired - Vain I know

She is running real sweet now. Tyres are next on the list - tan sides or white sides to keep the bike looking right.

I have to admit it now I have no excuse - I ordered up a nice Santani Peugeot/Shell top so it will be showtime next weekend..

Planning on chancing about 30k flat and see how I feel after it...It might be too far but I owe it to myself to gop for it. If you see a fat git on an old Pug thats me - Please give me a push if you can ..

Im afaid I cant put up teh Pics until I have 50 posts and I only have 17... Id love to show the pics of her so maybe if I mailed a Mod he might be good enough to do this wee job for me !

See yous on the roads !!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Pictures!

Old Peugeots are brilliant, I have 2, and made my sister buy another so I have 3 to look at :pac:
    Sounds like you got a fabulous bike there, mine are very heavy as they are only 103, which is heavy and a bit crap. I have Peugeot envy. I'll swap you for one of my 'sturdy' beasts :p

Re tyres, as your's is one from the 80's it probably had 700cc wheels which means you can pick up a pair of tires pretty handy. If they're 27" wheels as mine are the choices are pretty much Schwalbe marathons or Continental Ultra sports. I went for the latter but they haven't tan sidewalls and to be honest I think the bike is a bit ashamed of how wrong it looks on him, but it rolls great and I need every bit of help I can get!

Tows and lifts should be mandatory for those of us on big geared old bikes. Mine are 54/39 with a 22/12 cassette. I must get on engineering some sort of lasso for the speedy and modernly biked up hills...

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Yeah or you could mail them to any of the posters here and I'm sure someone would oblige (myself included) Really want to see the pics.

Thanks for the replies lads -

She is fitted with 700c Wolber Super Champion T430 rims on Sachs Huret New Sucess hubs. From reading up New Success was an attempt by the French to have a go against Shimano's dominance of the market - A Faux Pas for Huret but the groupset is still really slick and smooth.. From stripping at teh bike she has a 105 Headset - Jean Pierre would not be happy with that so I must get a Stronglight A9 or sommit period and French to fit !!

The tyre issue is causing me a bit of trouble.. There is such a choice of tyres that it will be easy to put the wrong ones on and spoil the look.

I had a wee look last night and came on Michelin Dynamic Classics.. They are cheap but can they stick the pace...? I would prefer sommit strong as the roads are full of sh**e here

@gagetra - I seem to remember the country being full of Peugeots in the 80's. 27x 1 1/4 steel wheels, 5 speed 24-14 freewheel with a 48T cottered crank and 103 lugless tubing. I had one as well and my father sprayed it up like Stephen Roches Battaglin... I cut the sissy levers off with an angle grinder then discovered that they could be screwed off.....!

@happytramp - I will get a few pics together tonight and if you PM your Email I'll gladly mail them to you...

FFS I havent gotton out on the road yet and already Im showing off..... I deffo need to get into shape and I am going to set my sights on the Croi Cycle 2015....

I've a pair of these in 28's - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/panaracer-pasela-pt-road-tyre/rp-prod53957

Great ride quality, good protection from punctures and they look great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

They're quite light for steel bead tyres, too... Just get them in black&tan :)

OldBean wrote: »
    I've a pair of these in 28's

Great ride quality, good protection from punctures and they look great.

Thats exactly what I need.. Order in now for 2 so hopefully I have 'em for the weekend.

Thanks a million for all your help lads - I'll get pics of her tonight - Have to remember - Top Gear, Right pedal down, No bottle or saddlebag, Rear skewer between seat and chainstay, Front skewer vertical. Both on the left side. Wheel stickers down - valves up. Have I forgot anything ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Yarisbob sent me some picks to post up...

49f829ce-b958-4e2a-b82f-25ac5387bee0_zps63914db3.jpg?t=1408014065

DSCN5933_zps80207665.jpg?t=1407927821

DSCN5942_zpsa9fb0124.jpg?t=1407927879

338b5a24-5055-4bff-a81e-a1bda0ec887a_zps3f6ea32d.jpg?t=1408014349

DSCN5934_zps1ae780b2.jpg?t=1407928120

My god he's beautiful. Well wear yarisbob!

gadetra wrote: »
    My god he's beautiful. Well wear yarisbob!

Thanks a million gadetra... Actually a she .. but I have no name for her as yet ..!

Really appreciate that happytramp.... Top Man...!

Cant wait to get out and about now... !

• Advertisement

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Thanks a million gadetra... Actually a she .. but I have no name for her as yet ..!

Really appreciate that happytramp.... Top Man...!

Cant wait to get out and about now... !

Her eh? I seen the pics and thought Julian. Maybe Julie? ;)

We should have an old Peugeot rally. There's a few about! Oh you could have the vintage spin going on this Sunday (laochra na laoise) as her maiden voyage. She'd feel right at home!

Well Lads
    Got the tyres Saturday. Thanks for the recommendation lads.. must say they are brilliant On to the bike Sunday... Easy flat 30k to start with. No heroics ! Had a wee bit of a rolling climb which got a wee bit steeper tword the top. Run out of gears but kept plugging - determined not to click out and walk ! That would only insult the bike and I'm damn sure I would have that.

Feeling not too bad today ... Theres no going back now.I have a bit of work to do if im going to be in any sort of shape for the Portlaoise run 14th Sep... I know its a month away but im going to have a craic at it.....

Thanks again for the advice and recommendations lads and hopefully see yous out on the road !!

Glad you're happy with the tyres, enjoy!

Advertisement