Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grunting/groaning at night

Options
  • 07-08-2014 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi all just have a quick question for ye. My little man is 16 weeks tomorrow and sleeps through the night. He is a divil for grunting " fighting with himself" during the night though. If I don't get up to settle him he will wake himself up. It normally starts every morning around 5 but he doesn't wake for a bottle until 7. Last night it started at 12!!! It's like it's wind but I have tried picking him up to wind but no joy
    Just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if there's anything I can do to help him.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

deh983 wrote: »
    Hi all just have a quick question for ye. My little man is 16 weeks tomorrow and sleeps through the night. He is a divil for grunting " fighting with himself" during the night though. If I don't get up to settle him he will wake himself up. It normally starts every morning around 5 but he doesn't wake for a bottle until 7. Last night it started at 12!!! It's like it's wind but I have tried picking him up to wind but no joy
    Just wondering if anyone else experienced this and if there's anything I can do to help him.

Thanks in advance

Well I'm not sure about the grunting but at around that age both our sons used to wake regularly enough with scratches on their faces where they'd obvously been clawing at themselves durng the night or something. It was just a phase and stopped after a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I remember something like this.
    Might he be stirring if he's a little cold? Or maybe a soother? OR could be heading into another growth spurt and is mooching for a bottle for an extra feed?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

He has done it for a long time now so don't think it's growth spurt. Plus he's not actually awake just giving out. He sleeps in a babygrow and blanket and uses a soother. Very strange that it's the same time every night. It's like something is bothering his little tummy as his knees are pulled up. He's on lactose free milk aswell so it could be that his little tummy is still developing or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Could be, their tummies are so sensitive. Did you start any spoon feeds recently? If so I'd suggest not doing it for another month or more unless your doc advised it.

Other than that, I know my guy would go through these phases of a few days to a week of waking at the same time for no apparent reason. So for maybe 5 nights he'd stir and give out bang on midnight, then a month later would wake at 5am for a chat for an hour and this would happen every night for a week or two. I couldn't explain it at all.

You'll know by his sounds if he needs something or if he'll just settle back himself shortly. If you are concerned re him having digestive issues then you could always check that with gp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

One of my girls was like that and I never figured out a reason!! So noisy! Moved her to her own room at 20 weeks cos I just couldn't listen to the little noises any more and she was totally content - just shuffled and grunted as if about to wake or would just generally be unsettled. Moved her then and had monitor on sensitive but heard less of the little noises and I slept better and she's grown out of it! Don't remember my first being that noisy!! Same girl sleeps 7-7 since 9 months without a peep now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It could be this http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/otolaryngology/specialty_areas/pediatric_otolaryngology/PDF/Laryngomalacia_handout.pdf

It is very common. Our little lad had it for a while but he doesn't do it anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It could be this http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/otolaryngology/specialty_areas/pediatric_otolaryngology/PDF/Laryngomalacia_handout.pdf

It is very common. Our little lad had it for a while but he doesn't do it anymore

That interesting, our 13 day old grunts a lot and makes the high pitched squeaks described there, and pukes quite a bit after feeds (watching out for reflux). She's gaining weight brilliantly though so we're not massively concerned. Might mention it to paediatrician next week.

Could b something there alright. He's a very windy chap aswell so I'm hoping once he starts to move a bit more he'll relieve himself a bit more and he'll settle then.
    I'm dreading the start on solids as I'm afraid it'll make it worse if it is his digestive system. Might bring him to gp next week just to have a look at him. He's gaining weight no problem and everything else seems fine so maybe he'll just grow out of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

As always raise it with your doctor or public health nurse if you are worried about anything. We have enough to worry about with new babies:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My fella was such a noisy sleeper at that age! Grunting, snorting, tossing and turning... Not waking for feeds or anything... Just really really noisy. He was in our room and we wouldn't get a wink of sleep with him so we had to put him in his own room. Haven't looked back since! He sleeps from 7.30pm till 8am.

I'd say perhaps he's just a noisy sleeper. However, like another poster recommended, if you are worried do consult a healthcare professional.

• Advertisement

I tried leaving him this morning when he started at 5 but he started to cry then. He will be getting his injections next week so I will have a chat with doctor then. Thanks for all the replies. Getting me in training for when teething starts and I'll be back up again during the night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Both mine done this. And both were evicted to their own rooms very young. My son (19weeks) is very noisy alot worse than my daughter was. He would actually be like he is crying but eyes are closed and he's still asleep. we normally give him the soother and he quietens down. but then keeps losing his soother and waking up again. Last nigh we decided to try ignore it. so he started making his noise and i waited and waited and he stopped fairly quickly and slept until 7.45. normally we give him the soother (its about 5) he loses it and gets it again and again and again and we end up going it about 3/4/5 times from 5-7 or else we just give in and bring him in to our bed so we dont have to get up. but last night i didnt go in and gave him the soother and he went back to sleep and slept better and longer.

I could have written that post myself!! That's exactly what we do!! And happens at exact same time.
    I might ignore him tonight and see what happens although I don't want him to wake up at 5 either.
    Somebody said to me he could be a bit dehydrated as he gets his last bottle around 7 and that's it for the night and lactose free milk can b very dry so yesterday I made sure to give him lots of water and he wasn't as bad last night.
    So that could have something to do with it.

Can anybody suggest anything for me please. He is getting worse. Last night he started at 10:45 :(
    I'm at my wits end at this stage as I getting no sleep and don't know what to do anymore.
    Please help

Deh is he in his own room?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

This is the very reason both of mine went to sleep in their own rooms around 17 weeks. :)

Babies can be very noisy sleepers, half waking all night long.

Yea if he is still in your room I think it would really really help you to consider putting him in his own room. Again, our fella was the noisiest sleeper ever. Grunting and groaning every single night all night. I thought I was going to go insane with lack of sleep. We put him in his own room around 4 months and never looked back after that. Hope you are ok.

No he's still in with us. He's 19 weeks today so I'm very tempted to try it even though I'll prob still b awake checking him then!! He was awake at 6:15 this morning bright as a button all smiles.
    I just hope he's not in pain that's all.

No he's still in with us. He's 19 weeks today so I'm very tempted to try it even though I'll prob still b awake checking him then!! He was awake at 6:15 this morning bright as a button all smiles.

You could always give it a try for a night and see how it goes? You can always bring him back.

I doubt he's in pain if he is asleep (even noisily).

I think with us, we were sleeping more shallowly with him in the room and snoring and turning more, which was disturbing him and making him noisier and keeping us awake!

I was reluctant to send my first into his own room, but I had no qualms with my second after how well it went the first time.

I think if he was in pain he would prob be crying. Babies can be extremely noisy sleepers. Do consider putting him in his own room. Even just on a trial basis and see how ye get on :)

• Advertisement

I think I'll have to. We have tried everything else. I tried ignoring it last night but gave in just to get back to sleep. He has no problem going down or napping it's just at night.
    Oh the joys of it all!!!

I think I'll have to. We have tried everything else. I tried ignoring it last night but gave in just to get back to sleep. He has no problem going down or napping it's just at night.
    Oh the joys of it all!!!

Let us know how you get on. It can be daunting at first and you do worry. But both mine have been in their own room since 4 months. Id be a wreck and unable to function otherwise. Goodluck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Our little fella was the same. Grunting and some weird noises that freaked me at first.
    I wish I had been warned of the noises as I thought there was something wrong. He slept well though so assumed he was ok.

We put him in his own room at 3 months an he has been grand.

He pulls his legs up and kicks them out aswell though. Did yours do that? I even tried a sleeper bag last night and it made no difference.

He pulls his legs up and kicks them out aswell though. Did yours do that? I even tried a sleeper bag last night and it made no difference.

Yep.

Is he asleep? Bad dream? Gosh I really don't know. I just think he would wake or cry if he was in pain. My fella used to constantly squirm and knock his head off cot in his sleep.

See I always get up to him and give him soother or turn him so he never gets chance to cry!! Little bugger prob does it on purpose now!!
    It's like he has wind but he gets last bottle around 7 so i don't think it's that. But it could be :( oh who knows!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Sounds rough on ye. Id second what the others say about him not being in pain. If he was he would wake id imagine? I'm sure when you have this sorted he will do something else to keep you on your toes!! You're probably wrecked tired.

Wrecked is an inderstatement!! :)
    Did I hear whispers of a horrible sleep regression around 19 weeks??? Nnooooooooooooo!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

The 19 weeks didn't bother our little lad he was a great sleeper until teeth arrived. Always something!! Have you family around who can give you a bit of a break the odd day?

Advertisement