Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grunting/groaning at night

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Not really now that everyone is back to school they are all busy with their own. Thank god it's the weekend and oh is here!! Had a babysitter booked for tomorrow night and was considering cancelling but no way am I now!! Even if we only go to cinema I'm getting out!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Try him in his own room, deh. Could be the solution you're after.

The gro-bag thingie will make sure he doesn't kick the blankets off in his sleep. Have the monitor in your room in case you're worried.

Enjoy your night out as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Baby Merkin grunts and gurgles and makes all kinds of noises during the night. I'm wrecked today because of it and I asked my health visitor about it and she said it's nothing to worry about, she said oftentimes it's them having little dreams etc awwww :) He's also been a very active baby from day one with kicks and wriggles but he's in a Grobag now as it means he'll stay toasty all night so I'd definitely recommend one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Merkin wrote: »
    she said oftentimes it's them having little dreams etc awwww :)
    I wonder what they dream about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Milk... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Milk... :)

Memories of the dark warm place that they were rudely evicted from :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I know, I wonder that too because he smiles a lot in his sleep. I think as above, milk, happy warm places and probably recollections of myriad faces peering into their buggies going Awwwwww!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Deh my lil man is the same and i am wrecked. my last post i wrote about ignoring it but its just not working for us either.
    He;s 5 months today. he goes down at 7 fine some nights wakes at 11.30 for a bottle some nights he doesnt. we have tried everything from giving him a bottle at 11, waiting until 4/5 to give it to him but every night 5 am he starts. even if he had a bottle at 4 he still wakes at 5
    . but he has his eyes closed. he's just so noisy. we give him the soother to shut him up.
    he's in his own room so its only when it gets really load that it disturbs us.

Literally moaning and groaning but his eyes are closed. Tonight we are going back to give him a bottle at 11. then TRY ignore when he starts at 5. but im at my wits end here too.
    Ive a 2 year old too so no rest really during the day.

Thursday night OH gave him soother at 11 when he was coming to bed. then i fed him at 4 but he still woke at 5. once he gets the soother he stops. but we had to go to give it to him twice before he settled back.

friday night he woke at 11.30. i tried to get him back to sleep but kept losing his soother then i gave him bottle about 1.30 but still started at 5.

I think its the damn soother. he's too young to get it in himself but he wants it.

Just realised that is of no help except to say i know how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

When our baby starts grunting or making noises it's always wind in his bum. Is he pulling his legs up to his chest as well? When our baby does this he wants his soother which sometimes seems to help pass gas somehow and at least keeps him content (and I agree when he's like this he can spit it it out by accident and then get upset as it's keeping him happy because he's uncomfortable) and then I alternate between rubbing his tummy in circular motions (have a look at the baby massage vids on YouTube for helping with bum wind) and then also doing bicycle legs with him which helps pass wind too. Sometimes it works very quickly, other times only a little bit and he won't settle for a good bit or will wake up more often. Think it's just one of those things, I asked doc about the wind and she said it's just a baby thing and will pass! I also put him Infacol on his soother and pop it back in his mouth, it's meant for gas but the taste also takes his mind off things a little too! I've started doing the tummy rubs and bicycle legs after every feed along with his normal wind too but he always seems to wake at least once with a windy bum during the night!

Our lad is only two months so he's in his crib beside our bed for the moment which is a huge help, it's hard enough just getting up to do it at all without having to go into a different room again and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

So last night OH gave him a 9oz bottle at 11 which he emptied.

he then started mooching at 3 and it got louder and louder. I have a camera monitor so i was watching him on that (his eyes were closed) so i left him. After a few mins he stopped and fell back asleep minus the soother. he then slept until 7.30.

So any night i dont give him the soother he sleeps better and longer.

I tried to get him to go for his morning nap without it but no joy. Then had to give it after swimming as he was wrecked. Out for the count at the mo again. had soother going asleep but dont think he does now.

Why i why did i persevere with giving him one. He didnt even want it much in the beginning but he was feeding every 2 hours so needed something to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭deh983

Apologies for no update!!
    So we moved the cradle to the bottom if out bed as we havnt got a monitor yet. Also I went to a health shop and they recommended probiotics for him as his digestive system has been off since he was born (he's on lactose free formula). I was bit reluctant to try anything but did a bit if research and decided to give it a go.
    So sat night was the first night and we went out for a few drinks and he never moved (or I just didn't hear him with the alcohol!!) last night he was asleep at 9 oh gave him his soother once and that was it until 7 this morning!!!!! Can't believe it. So whether he was grunting or not he didn't cry and settled himself back to sleep. Poor little mans system must be very sensitive :(
    Please god this has helped him.
    Many thanks for all the replies and apologies for the whinge last week.

Advertisement