Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a recruitment agency

Options
  • 07-08-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I have several people looking for work and know several employers looking for people.

So I had this idea, but have some questions:

How much is the fee or percentage the agency gets getting a job for a candidate?

Is it normally in Ireland fee once based, or like an outsorcing company that receives a fee everymonth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

tendjose wrote: »
    I have several people looking for work and know several employers looking for people.

So I had this idea, but have some questions:

How much is the fee or percentage the agency gets getting a job for a candidate?

Is it normally in Ireland fee once based, or like an outsorcing company that receives a fee everymonth?

An agency I used to work for charged 10% of the candidates starting salary. The free was refunded in full if the candidate left the job within 6 months of the placement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You must also be registered as an employment agency which includes the payment of an annual fee, Garda vetting and independent references.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

TheBody wrote: »
    An agency I used to work for charged 10% of the candidates starting salary. The free was refunded in full if the candidate left the job within 6 months of the placement.

So 10% every month or only one time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Only one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wow.
    Now every month would be some gig :)

• Advertisement

OP there's at least 2 other recent posts about people with absolutely no experience planning to start a recruitment business. You might find something useful in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Agencies used to charge a minimum of 17% starting salary. 10% seems more in line with what they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

There's at least 2 other recent posts about people with absolutely no clue planning to start a recruitment business.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is there really a market for more agencies?

There seems to be loads out there already.

If I were to set up an agency though I'd target a certain area. For an Engineer you can quite regularly end up dealing with agents who aren't Engineers and know little of what they're actually recruiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Very cut throat business. You have to be absolutely on the ball to do any sort of business. The percentage you charge is irrelevant if you cannot deliver personnel to spec and in time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

A few mates looking for work is an everyday occurrence; it is not a business model, particularly when you have no idea of what is involved.

Actually I know several people from other countries that would like to work here, but the agencies just don't call them because they are living abroad...

I remember the hell I passed to come here in my turn because no agency would call me...

Actually I know several people from other countries that would like to work here, but the agencies just don't call them because they are living abroad...

I remember the hell I passed to come here in my turn because no agency would call me...

Edit: Now I receive at leat 3 offers from agents per week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

OP, you have shared your personal experiences but have made no business case as to why your idea of an agency would succeed. Have you actually used the search facility on this forum to learn about starting a new recruitment agency? You will learn a lot from these topics and posts. If you are a non-national, you will find the going even tougher!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Jesus, every Tom Dick and Harry around here seems to think they can start a recruitment agency. My sister-in-law worked as a HR manager in the hotel business for several years, went into recruitment and worked her butt off until eventually after about 10 years in total she opened her own agency.

She STILL has to get out there and sell herself and her business despite being well known and contracted by some of the largest companies in the country. Her company just about made it through the recession, through skilful management and diversification.

Why on earth some people around here think they can start one with a phone and a computer is beyond me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

DubTony wrote: »

Why on earth some people around here think they can start one with a phone and a computer is beyond me.

I'd imagine because it appears that people are already doing that.

I'm looking for work at the moment and there's an awful lot of new agencies, new to me anyway, that are recruiting for positions that they don't have the background/expertise in to do properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cliff grebouwski

You want to start a recruitment company and you don't know how much a placement fee is?? OP i'm going to save you a lot of time here, don't even bother trying.

if you really think you want to do it, go and work for an agency for at least 5 years first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'd imagine because it appears that people are already doing that.

I'm looking for work at the moment and there's an awful lot of new agencies, new to me anyway, that are recruiting for positions that they don't have the background/expertise in to do properly.

I get offered roles all the time that have nothing to do with my skill set. They are clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dinny76

Why don't you approach a smaller agency and perhaps buy into them.

If you can bring a new market with both clients and candidates they maybe interested in hearing more from you

Dinny76 wrote: »
    Why don't you approach a smaller agency and perhaps buy into them.

If you can bring a new market with both clients and candidates they maybe interested in hearing more from you

Well, let's first help some peoplr for free getting a job here to see if i have market, then i could open the agency.

Of course this would be an agency working in part time as I have a full time job ;)

• Advertisement

You may still want to consider:

It is an offence under the Act for an employment agency to carry on business without an employment agency licence. Under section 10 (1) of the Employment Agency Act, 1971, as amended by section 19 of the Protection of Employees (Fixed-Term Work) Act 2003, a person guilty of an offence under the Act shall be liable on summary conviction to a Class C fine not exceeding €2,500 and in the case of a continuing offence to a further Class D fine not exceeding €1,000 a day.

(2) For the purposes of this Act, the business of an employment agency means the business of seeking, whether for reward or otherwise, on behalf of others, persons who will give or accept employment, and includes the obtaining or supplying for reward of persons who will accept employment from or render services to others.

Graham wrote: »
    You may still want to consider:

It is an offence under the Act for an employment agency to carry on business without an employment agency licence. Under section 10 (1) of the Employment Agency Act, 1971, as amended by section 19 of the Protection of Employees (Fixed-Term Work) Act 2003, a person guilty of an offence under the Act shall be liable on summary conviction to a Class C fine not exceeding €2,500 and in the case of a continuing offence to a further Class D fine not exceeding €1,000 a day.

(2) For the purposes of this Act, the business of an employment agency means the business of seeking, whether for reward or otherwise, on behalf of others, persons who will give or accept employment, and includes the obtaining or supplying for reward of persons who will accept employment from or render services to others.

You didn't understand the part that I would do it for free didn't you?

You didn't understand the part that I would do it for free didn't you?

You didn't understand the part that specifies "whether for reward or otherwise" that I highlighted in the legislation above. My interpretation is the law still applies even if you are doing it for free.

Graham wrote: »
    You didn't understand the part that specifies "whether for reward or otherwise" that I highlighted in the legislation above. My interpretation is the law still applies even if you are doing it for free.

So I can't help a friend if I know of a job opening because it's ilegal?

Do you think prisions have space enough for all that people that commit that crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Do you think prisions have space enough for all that people that commit that crime?

Agency workers are a big deal nowadays, a lot of multinationals employ workers through an agency and not directly, thats why they need to be regulated.

I'm sure any established player would have no problem reporting someone without a licence. You would get a very hefty fine, prison if you cant pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

If you are carrying on a business, then no you cant it is illegal.

If you just an individual not carrying on a business then it is fine.

Otherwise a business could simply not charge for the placement and charge for something else eg a subscription to a magazine etc and thus avoid having to be licensed.

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Is that a correct response to helpful advise?
    Apart from learning something about the recruitment business (instead of posts like the above) you might also do some homework - like checking on Data Protection legislation. And such ‘minor’ items as the enforceability of an illegal contract, which is what you would be party to. Your posts are coming across as clueless arrogance.

dbran wrote: »
    If you are carrying on a business, then no you cant it is illegal.

If you just an individual not carrying on a business then it is fine.

Otherwise a business could simply not charge for the placement and charge for something else eg a subscription to a magazine etc and thus avoid having to be licensed.

dbran

This is a good answer.

Is that a correct response to helpful advise?
    Apart from learning something about the recruitment business (instead of posts like the above) you might also do some homework - like checking on Data Protection legislation. And such ‘minor’ items as the enforceability of an illegal contract, which is what you would be party to. Your posts are coming across as clueless arrogance.

Since when is arrogance to help a friend?

He was including cases even where there is no business.

I understood very well it has to be regulated, but the guy is trying to deencourage people to help friends as a non business, because his greedness wants all the guys he can get to his business.

I'm out of this discussion. Say what you want.

• Advertisement

Since when is arrogance to help a friend?

The title of your thread and all subsequent posts were responding to 'Creating a recruitment agency'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement