Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Claidheamh Soluis

Options
  • 07-08-2014 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Is Pearse's magazine An Claidheamh Soluis online anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I don't think so. I had to access it on microfilm in the national library a few years ago.

Incidentally, I'm not sure you could really call it Pearse's magazine. People like Eoin Mac Neill would have done more work on it than Pearse, at least in the early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I don't think so. I had to access it on microfilm in the national library a few years ago.

Incidentally, I'm not sure you could really call it Pearse's magazine. People like Eoin Mac Neill would have done more work on it than Pearse, at least in the early days.

Just an easy shorthand identifier. If I'd said MacNeill's magazine, people would scratch their heads and say "Wha? Was there a different one?"

Also: microfilm (shudder). Would that they'd digitise all that stuff. Microfilm readers sell more Immigran than any other known cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

Did you have a look at the micorfilm?

I am looking for the text of the lecture by Fr. Peter Yorke "the Turning of the Tide" which was fully reported in Caidheamh Soluis in 1899. I don't know where else I might find it.

Have not used micorfilm for years, hope it is more user friendly now than it was then - it was like looking for a needle in a haystack then.

Haven't got around to it yet.

Microfilm is worse (for me anyway); every time I use it I get a raging headache. Horrid, horrid technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

Haven't got around to it yet.

Microfilm is worse (for me anyway); every time I use it I get a raging headache. Horrid, horrid technology.

Hi Just as an aside , are all old magazines and publications generally available on microfilm in the Nat Library ? Do you require special permission like the ticket system employed by some of the university archives?

I'm specifically interested in the "Irish Freedom" and "Irish Workers" publications.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

I haven't gone in yet. I think one has go get a special library card in there. Probably bring ID.

I don't know how easy it will be to read the old newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

You could contact Conradh na Gaeilge on Harcourt Street. Some, if not all, original copies are kept there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

The NLI seem to have looosened up their entry requirements. I have gone in a few times recently with nobody asking for a card.

I would advise people to check the NLI's catalogue at
    http://catalogue.nli.ie/ before going in. Also, you may want to reserve the materials you wish to read in advance.

Trizo wrote: »
    Hi Just as an aside , are all old magazines and publications generally available on microfilm in the Nat Library ? Do you require special permission like the ticket system employed by some of the university archives?

I'm specifically interested in the "Irish Freedom" and "Irish Workers" publications.

Thanks

The very best place to look for all radical Irish publications is, oddly, the British Library on Euston Road in London.

You'll probably have to use microfilm, but their microfilm readers are non-headache-inducing, using modern computer screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The NLI seem to have looosened up their entry requirements. I have gone in a few times recently with nobody asking for a card.
    They have loosened up a little, cards faster/easier to obtain and the one card for the GO and the NLI (used to be separate). The two geno rooms on the mezzanine floor (which include newspaper access) do not need a card, but to order a book/record in the main readingroom you need your NLI number.

• Advertisement
Advertisement