Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused Working Holiday Visa

Options
  • 07-08-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi All,

I applied for, and was successful in getting, a 2 year working holiday VISA through the IEC in 2013 but could not go due to a back injury. The timeframe to activate the VISA has expired now but I am still looking to head over next year to Vancouver, does anyone have any experience of the same situation.... I assume I can just re-apply? I emailed the IEC a few times before the visa expired explaining the situation but never heard anything back.

Do I have to re-apply from scratch or whats the story. Also, if anyone has any info on the job market for IT Project Engineer's in Vancouver?

Cheers All!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you got your POE last year, you can no longer apply again. You are considered to have used your visa and you only get one shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just get the one I'm afraid, there's a young professionals visa where you can go if you arrange a job beforehand but you have to stay working for that company if you leave you have to exit Canada again. The working holiday one you can just move around jobs and provinces as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oee

Thanks for the response but surely that can't be right, do you guys have any source links?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

quick google confirms so

I obtained a POE Introduction Letter within the framework of the IEC initiative but wasn’t able to go to Canada before the expiry date indicated on my letter. May I present a new application under the same category in the future?

No. As of quota 2010, the issuance of your POE Introduction Letter counts as your participation in the category for which it was obtained, even if you don’t present this Letter at a port of entry (POE) to Canada. As a result, you will not be able to re-apply to the same category if your letter was already issued to you because, according to the terms of the Canada-France Youth Mobility Agreement, you may only participate once in a given category.

Source : http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/experience_canada_experience/faq.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As above. All of this is detailed in the FAQ on the forum also.

• Advertisement

Oee wrote: »
    Thanks for the response but surely that can't be right, do you guys have any source links?

Tis right alright, know someone who didnt wind up going and thought they could jus reapply, nope. That's why I went when I did if I could have put it off for a few months longer or reapplied I would have but it was now or never.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Oee

krudler wrote: »
    Tis right alright, know someone who didnt wind up going and thought they could jus reapply, nope. That's why I went when I did if I could have put it off for a few months longer or reapplied I would have but it was now or never.

Cheers for the responses, my job is on the in demand skilled migrants list so there seems to be an option with that visa. Strange restriction though, can't see any reason for enforcing this.... they charge for the visa so why bother stipulating this?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Oee,

Unfortunately that's the way it is. Canada Immigration is very strict and rightly so. I would love to be able to apply again at the end of my 2 year visa and get another 2 years, Christ I wouldn't know myself but as said above you only get one shot at the visa. If you don't activate it within the time frame then you're out of luck. Even people trying to get PR at the minute are in for a long wait, it is apparently back logged into 2015, crazy. When I eventually apply for PR next year I won't be holding my breath in getting it as I will have to go down the AINP route.

Your only other options is the Young Professionals or get an LMO through a company in Canada.

Oee wrote: »
    Cheers for the responses, my job is on the in demand skilled migrants list so there seems to be an option with that visa. Strange restriction though, can't see any reason for enforcing this.... they charge for the visa so why bother stipulating this?

I guess to stop people taking visas then putting it off for years and years afterwards and just reapplying and taking spaces

Advertisement