Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wicklow Arms

Options
  • 07-08-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

I see it sold recently.... wonder what will become of it!

A decent pub would be great redface.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

cocker5 wrote: »
    I see it sold recently.... wonder what will become of it!

A decent pub would be great redface.png

I heard it was bought by the guy who owns / has something to do with dundrum shopping centre and it is going to be turned in to a shopping village.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Jimjay wrote: »
    I heard it was bought by the guy who owns / has something to do with dundrum shopping centre and it is going to be turned in to a shopping village.

Im still holding out for a decent pub :pac:

Thanks for that.

another "rumour mill" says its the guy who owns the horse n hound bought it.... suppose only time will tell :o

• Registered Users Posts: 36 IrishDerbyfan

cocker5 wrote: »
    Im still holding out for a decent pub :pac:

Thanks for that.

another "rumour mill" says its the guy who owns the horse n hound bought it.... suppose only time will tell :o
    Horse and hound is lovely already and has atmosphere and friendlieness, something always lacking in those other pubs owned by that other publican.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Horse and hound is lovely already and has atmosphere and friendlieness, something always lacking in those other pubs owned by that other publican.

I liked the horse and hound when it first opened back up, but lately in my opnion it's hit and miss, I've seen some seriously dodgey people in there in recent times... Like total scumbags ... One night loads of people doing cocaine in the toilets.. Not people I want to share my weekend drinks with.

So it's a bit hit and miss for me I'm afraid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

... it is going to be turned in to a shopping village.
    :eek: They won't like that in Delgany. Sure haven't they only just succeeded in reversing a planning decision that wanted to rezone the street outside "The Delgany" in the centre of the village. It was going to be rezoned to "village centre" but the residents association were afraid that would open the way for commercial development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think it is only a matter of time before you will see development there. In the current climate I cannot see WCC missing an opportunity for more commercial rates not to mention the jobs aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Joe O Reilly was one of the Dundrum Centre developers. It could be the same person from what I'm hearing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I find that hard to believe.
    Time will tell.

2011 wrote: »
    I find that hard to believe.
    Time will tell.

Maybe. But when i was calling estate agents to enquire about small commercial/retail shops available in the area the one that was dealing with the sale of wicklow arms told me about it and put my name down to be called when the plans are finalised to see if i wanted a unit there.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Perhaps you are right, we will see.
    There certainly is no shortage of empty commercial units in the area.
    Off hand I can think of empty units in Meridian Point, Edan Gate, Charlesland, Greystones Main Street, beside Aldi.....

I think it would be nice to fill the units that are currently available before building more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Agreed, why build more commercial units when there are so many empty...

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Agreed, why build more commercial units when there are so many empty...

Where?
    The only empty ones are in meridian. They are managed shops and cost a fortune. Rent ok but then you add the management fees and rates and a small space is over 35k plus you dont get any passing trade. I dont think there are any other retail shops available in greystones. And btw i called about the hotspot building and it is taken.

Where?

See post #11

2011 wrote: »
    Perhaps you are right, we will see.
    There certainly is no shortage of empty commercial units in the area.
    Off hand I can think of empty units in Meridian Point, Edan Gate, Charlesland, Greystones Main Street, beside Aldi.....

I think it would be nice to fill the units that are currently available before building more.

Well there is nothing on main street. meridian point, as well as being expensive has no passing trade same as a shop in a housing estate (although there are no empty retail shops in charlesland at the moment). I wouldn't know if there are any in eden gate and wouldn't even consider a shop there. I think the reason there might be empty shops in eden gate is due to the fact that any business there would be catering almost 100% to people who live in the estate. As someone who would be interested in renting a shop there is certainly a shortage of available space in the area and i know of others too who are looking for suitable places. When the old petshop closed i asked there and the guy said i was one of about 6 people who had enquired in that day alone. Another smaller place, where the new estate agent is by mrs Robinson's also went very quickly just before last xmas as did the cafe grey until.

Well there is nothing on main street. meridian point, as well as being expensive has no passing trade same as a shop in a housing estate (although there are no empty retail shops in charlesland at the moment). I wouldn't know if there are any in eden gate and wouldn't even consider a shop there. I think the reason there might be empty shops in eden gate is due to the fact that any business there would be catering almost 100% to people who live in the estate. As someone who would be interested in renting a shop there is certainly a shortage of available space in the area and i know of others too who are looking for suitable places. When the old petshop closed i asked there and the guy said i was one of about 6 people who had enquired in that day alone. Another smaller place, where the new estate agent is by mrs Robinson's also went very quickly just before last xmas as did the cafe grey until.

There are empty units in all of the locations that I mentioned.

I will take your word that some units are taken, and that some prices are higher than people are prepared to pay.
    However the fact remains that there are plenty of empty units in the Greystones area.
    If anyone builds more shop units they will only do so with the intention of charging high rents.

Everybody wants to rent a shop unit somewhere in Greystones that has a reasonable footfall at what they perceive to be a reasonable rate, but due to market forces this won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

are they ever going to finish the building on the old Thrift Shop site? - that has shop units at the front...

the 2 remaining cottages between 3Qs and Bocellis have been up for sale recently, I assume they'll be converted to shops eventually, also the former estate agents beside Cavistons which is currently for sale along with the adjacent house.

JimJay
    just out of interest, what kind of shop are you looking to open?
    The Chinese in Charlesland recently closed and its up for grabs. Should be a decent amount of business in that estate, also, the creches and supervalue bring in a lot of people.

Greystones seems to be over populated with boutiques and eating establishments, which are all great, but I wonder if something different would do better ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    JimJay
    just out of interest, what kind of shop are you looking to open?
    The Chinese in Charlesland recently closed and its up for grabs. Should be a decent amount of business in that estate, also, the creches and supervalue bring in a lot of people.

Greystones seems to be over populated with boutiques and eating establishments, which are all great, but I wonder if something different would do better ..

The rents in the Charlesland Centre are huge.
    I know someone that looked at the vacant coffee shop beside Superquinn, they were looking for 45k pa. That's an awful lot of coffee to sell!
    My friend was told a previous business there was paying 95k pa.

Well, looks like another coffee shop moving in so it seems there was either some movement in the rent or someone thinks their going to be selling a lot of coffee. I suppose there are rates etc on top of that as well.

that leaves the space from the Chinese take away and the the area that was set aside for a bar / restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

They look ready to open soon.
    Saw a sign in the window saying "Homans opening soon"
    It will be great addition to Charlesland, looking forward to it opening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement