Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheese curd in Ireland

Options
  • 07-08-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get cheese curd in Ireland?
    Looking to make Poutine, but cannot seem to find cheese curds anywhere in Dublin. Before I go and see if I can make it from scratch, I would like to know if anyone has been able to buy any? I have also seen that some people have substituted cheddar or red Leicester instead of the curd, but would like to try and make it with the real thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Have tried extensively to find it but I find nothing will substitute the flavour, texture, and most of all the squeak on the teeth that you get from proper poutine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

too soft, not artificial enough (the ghost of escoffier just soiled my chef whites because I said that)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

escoffier-fired.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Poutine is absolute filth.

Delicious salty gooey filth.

• Advertisement

One of the best hangover cures I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Don't know what poutine is either but Cottage cheese is curds, would that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

retalivity wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get cheese curd in Ireland?
    Looking to make Poutine, but cannot seem to find cheese curds anywhere in Dublin. Before I go and see if I can make it from scratch, I would like to know if anyone has been able to buy any? I have also seen that some people have substituted cheddar or red Leicester instead of the curd, but would like to try and make it with the real thing.

I know cheese curd is used a lot in Lithuanian food so maybe you might find it in one of those Lituanica shops? "Sūris varškės"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

duploelabs wrote: »
    One of the best hangover cures I know

Nectar of the gods, hence why I want to try and make it properly as I cant seem to get it in any cafes or restaurants here...
    May have a look in the Lithuanian stores and see if I can find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

halloumi might work as a substitute

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    halloumi might work as a substitute

you're nearly there, but halloumi would be too salty. Think of a halloumi/cheddar cross

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Just wondering what type of gravy you would use? Last trip to Quebec/Canada we brought back some St. Hubert Poutine gravy mix, and some other brands I can't remember. We also brought back 1 back of vacuum sealed curds....made our own chips too....nearest we ever got to Poutine in Ireland.

Now I just chop up block mozzerella into cubes. I'd be very interested in making my own curds though. Let us know if you make your own and how it went.

article done by the New Yorker on Poutine
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/11/23/funny-food

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tried it with Halloumi, was grand and squeaky but not stringy enough.

I looked at the Lithuanian option, and it turns out that cheese curd and curd cheese are very different, so didn't try it with that.

Next stop, try and make it myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Advertisement