Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which area to live in Ontario /Nova Scotia?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have lived in Calgary prior and looking for a change in scenery and province so Ontario has been on my list ( possibly Nova Scotia depending on jobs), but more than likely the first mentioned from what I have read re employment opportunities.

Wanted to ask people if anyone has made the move to either places, which Neighborhoods they would recommend for hassle free (somewhat) commuting etc.

I am looking for a place that has a country quiet feel without the concrete jungle surroundings, close to amenities, parks and has great transit system with affordable rent. May be impossible to ask for the above combined but any feed back would be appreciated from people who have done this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ExParrot42

Hi!
    I'm from Northern Ontario born & raised, so I can speak with a little authority here.
    mazi wrote: »

I am looking for a place that has a country quiet feel without the concrete jungle surroundings, close to amenities, parks and has great transit system with affordable rent. May be impossible to ask for the above combined but any feed back would be appreciated from people who have done this?

You're quite simply not going to get a city that has both a great transit system and a country feel. If you're out in the country, you're out there. Life can be difficult without a car. Our "country" is living way up in the bush - it's a bunch of small logging/mining towns, with hours of road through the bush between them. If you don't have a car, you're probably stuck in that town for the most part and going to have to walk around it on foot. If you're used to living in a city, you'll be bored as all hell and likely not going to make friends easily.

We also have countryside in southern ontario, nearer to Toronto, that's much more similar to the countryside in Ireland. Again, it's a lot of small farming towns and you'd be lost without a car.

I think the best you're going to do is a small city - places in Ontario that might be good for you are:
    London
    Peterborough (couple Irish friends live there and love it)
    Guelph
    Kingston (Lived there 4 years, decent amount of stuff to do and transport is ok, but jobs very very competitive in May/June when students start looking for summer)
    Kitchener/Waterloo
    St. Catharines
    Or, if you fancy going further north nearer to my own stomping ground, North Bay, Sault Ste Marie or Thunder Bay are decent options for someone without a car.

All of these are also college towns, so if you're in your 20s you'll have an especially easy time meeting new people.

As for Nova Scotia, Halifax is a wonderful city, but it is a city and lacks the country feel you're going for. My family lives in rural Nova Scotia and none of them have a good job. NS has the highest unemployment rate in Canada...it's higher than Ireland, apparently. Lovely people out there though. Sydney on Cape Breton Island might suit you.

Advertisement