Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im on the same connection so wasnt too bad either,i feel it might have been because i paused the download on a few occasions over a few nights rather than doing them all at once and it was the recent 0.9 patch i was doing that with. Cant think of any other reason for it to happen. Looked on the website and the suggestion is bad/corrupt downloads as the problem from what i can see.

Anyway got it downloaded and just jumped in there quickly and straight away the stick was recognized,all controls mapped properly in the preset from what i can see,including the throttle:)

Game is also a lot smoother than last time i played even though im having to disable crossfire as its causing texture glitching/artifacting its still running well on 1 7950

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Might buy a 780ti? 980's better in games but not for photoshop, premiere and davinci resolve it seems, and my current 580 is being a little ****er lately for playing back at less than 24 frames in resolve and rendering at about 5. Be nice to just have loads of overkill.

Guy is selling one on adverts for 500 quid too so it seems like a decent price for it?

This make sense to anyone else or have I just convinced myself because I haven't bought something for the computer in over a year?

loads were sold for 444 euro http://www.ebay.de/itm/351160729558?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 recently so I'll just either wait to see what the story with the 980 is with compute performance, and see if any of those cheap 780ti's come up for sale. The one on adverts is probably one of the ones off that same sale anyway now under the guise of winning it in a competition!

yep im all sorted now I'll most likely get myself a 4gb 980 since the ram alone will make a huge difference in resolve

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Anyone know if the new GTX 970/980 cards are compatible with Z77 motherboards, or would I have to upgrade?

Also 970 seems way better value for money than 980, and there seems to be a wider range of non reference versions available at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I haven't heard they wouldn't. It would be very poor show if they were incompatible. Sure you can use current cards on motherboards made the best part of ten years ago, so long as you had a PCI-E slot and a power supply that's sufficient. You just might be running at slower bandwidth if you were to do that.

Short story: No, there shouldn't be a problem.

Monotype wrote: »
    I haven't heard they wouldn't. It would be very poor show if they were incompatible. Sure you can use current cards on motherboards made the best part of ten years ago, so long as you had a PCI-E slot and a power supply that's sufficient. You just might be running at slower bandwidth if you were to do that.

Short story: No, there shouldn't be a problem.

well if the board eliminates the advantage of a more powerful card through bottlenecking, may as well upgrade the board while I'm at it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It should be a pcie 3.0 slot so no it won't, not even close. Even if it was 2.0 it should be fine.

Ah no, I meant if you were using an ancient board, it would have an effect. The bandwidth of PCI-E 2 & 3 is ridiculous, especially if it's just the one card.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah no, I meant if you were using an ancient board, it would have an effect. The bandwidth of PCI-E 2 & 3 is ridiculous, especially if it's just the one card.

Do they even max out pci-e2?
    I got z68 with 2 and I doubt I will feel much of drop in performance.

I know I won't lose much sleep from lost.g 1-2 fps due to it...

Doubtful. Last results I saw that went into it in detail was the ones techpowerup did with a 7970 and a 680. Going from PCI-E 2 x8 to x4 took a bit of a hit but showed that even x8 wasn't fully utilised at the time, never mind x16 and PCI-E 3. Things have moved on but probably still nowhere near PCI-E 2 being considered obsolete... well for a single graphics card anyway.

Doubtful. Last results I saw that went into it in detail was the ones techpowerup did with a 7970 and a 680. Going from PCI-E 2 x8 to x4 took a bit of a hit but showed that even x8 wasn't fully utilised at the time, never mind x16 and PCI-E 3. Things have moved on but probably still nowhere near PCI-E 2 being considered obsolete... well for a single graphics card anyway.

Wasn't worth upgrading a 6xx series for 7xx, but 2 generations newer should give me quite a boost :D gameswise.

The 970 looks like so much better value compared to the likes of 780ti or 980.

• Advertisement

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Wasn't worth upgrading a 6xx series for 7xx, but 2 generations newer should give me quite a boost :D gameswise.

The 970 looks like so much better value compared to the likes of 780ti or 980.

I got 680 and 970 looks like a sweet deal in my case. Later down the line 2x970 and here we go 4k.

Monotype: Would there be a big hit with Sli/CF with pcie2? What do oyu reckon? With x8 2 cards should not lose that much performance.

With 680s, you wouldn't. Maybe with 970s. Probably in the region of <10% though. You'd have to wait to see a comprehensive test to be sure. A game or two or looking at specs doesn't really tell the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Overclockers mysql server is ****ed it seems

With 680s, you wouldn't. Maybe with 970s. Probably in the region of <10% though. You'd have to wait to see a comprehensive test to be sure. A game or two or looking at specs doesn't really tell the full story.

10% sounds like a huge hit. I really hope someone will Test this out. I really dont want to change my old trusty 2500k+z68, then again, I am not looking to go sli 970 just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Headshot wrote: »
    Overclockers mysql server is ****ed it seems
    Memoryc.ie also has the same issue at the moment.
    Fatal Error
    :Could not connect to MySQL Server mysql242int.cp.blacknight.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

the 970 looks like a decent card and upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Its a welcome change to see the 970 being a good bang for buck card from Nvidia.
    It can only help the consumers if they now compete with Amd in the value/bang for buck stakes.

On a side note overclockers have dropped alot of money off the 780 and 780ti cards.
    That normally doesn't happen with Nvidia cards.They tend to keep the prices up of the previous gen cards.

Just after watching that review myself. Not bad. specially with such early drivers. That 770 would be pretty much same as my 680. So not a bad boost in performance. It would help a lot to me when I play some racing sims on 3 monitors too.

Well, I hope I will land it for myself as xmas present so.

The drivers aren't that early. The 750ti is the same architecture and has been out for a good few months.

The gigabyte windforce seems to be the best available 970 atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

€300 and €500 cheapest on HWVS right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

So I'm waiting on a load of great value 2nd hand GPUs circa €100 in the gear for sale thread. Will ya'll hurry up and buy those sweet 970 :)

I'm waiting to order some parts, a gigabyte windforce 970, a crucial mx100 256gb ssd and a white nzxt h440 + some white fabric braided cables.

Just waiting on the case to come back into stock. All but the white one are in stock and have been for a week now. No ETA. :(

I'll be sticking my Sapphire 7970 and my Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 up on adverts as soon as it's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I may be a bit late with this news, but no more cheap windows etc. from reddit software swap. Any alternatives? Have gotten office keys off ebay before which worked out fine
    So, as a lot of you have noticed (and speculated about), the sale of Microsoft software has been banned from this subreddit in it's entirety. I was contacted about 3 days about by a member of the staff here on reddit (one of the site admins), who informed me of some legal issues reddit was facing due to the keys sold on this subreddit. I was presented with two choices, either quickly and quietly clean up this subreddit of all seller threads and ban the sale of the keys, or let the subreddit be closed by the admins. I figured, in the best interests of everyone here, that I would keep the sub open in the hopes that people will still be able to sell their digital goods...just not microsoft digital goods. I wish I could go into more details about the issues reddit is facing, but I have been instructed to keep it under wraps. For now, the sale of any and all Microsoft products has been banned from this subreddit.
    Automoderator has been updated to remove any posts with certain keywords referring microsoft products to ensure that we have no more issues with the sale of microsoft keys. Anyone caught attempting to circumvent the security, will be banned without warning. I'm not taking any chances with a situation as serious as this and as such, I will have a zero-tolerance policy to anyone attempting to break the new rules.
    Now, the reason so many people were getting their hands on keys was due to exploiting the service run by microsoft known as bizspark. Bizspark was meant to be used as a service for new businesses to get the little boost they needed to cut some production costs. Unfortunately, people took it upon themselves to milk the program for their own personal gain. The second group of people was getting its keys through a program called dreamspark. Dreamspark is a program designed to allow students (mainly engineers) at certain universities to have access to software they would need. Software in the program ranges from virtual machines to windows to CAD. The people who sold these keys were not breaking any pre-set laws, they were breaking the contracts that they agreed to when creating their accounts. Breaking the agreement is in the category of contract law, thus the sellers can be sued. Although that is an unlikely scenario, it is still possible.
    If you have any more questions, please feel free to comment or message me. Please refrain from asking questions like "where can I go to buy keys?" or "what is really going on with the legal issues?" as you will get no answers to either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I may be a bit late with this news, but no more cheap windows etc. from reddit software swap. Any alternatives? Have gotten office keys off ebay before which worked out fine

Try
    reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are they all dreamspark keys or just bought in different regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

ED E wrote: »
    Are they all dreamspark keys or just bought in different regions?
    It's from MSDN I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm waiting to order some parts, a gigabyte windforce 970, a crucial mx100 256gb ssd and a white nzxt h440 + some white fabric braided cables.

Just waiting on the case to come back into stock. All but the white one are in stock and have been for a week now. No ETA. :(

I'll be sticking my Sapphire 7970 and my Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 up on adverts as soon as it's back.

H440 is a beautiful case but lack of airflow is a pain if you're on air. I was about to sell all my custom braided cables too white/black pattern :(

Blitz17 wrote: »
    H440 is a beautiful case but lack of airflow is a pain if you're on air. I was about to sell all my custom braided cables too white/black pattern :(

Do you have one?

I'm not too bothered as long as it's reasonable and I'm sure it can be improved by adding a couple of exhaust fans to the top of the case.

My main goal is reduce noise and improve looks. The 970 should run a bit cooler than my 7970 anyway.

It's back in stock now. Just gotta order it. What cable kit do you have? How much are you selling it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

BloodBath wrote: »
    Do you have one?

I'm not too bothered as long as it's reasonable and I'm sure it can be improved by adding a couple of exhaust fans to the top of the case.

My main goal is reduce noise and improve looks. The 970 should run a bit cooler than my 7970 anyway.

It's back in stock now. Just gotta order it. What cable kit do you have? How much are you selling it for?

I was going to pick one up when they first came available in white but held off, seen some reports of cards running quite hot due to poor air flow. Do get some pictures up when you get it :)

I have custom made 30cm extensions. Well it was custom awhile back but now everyone sleeves cables so these are probably a dime a dozen now.

1x 24Pin ATX
    1x 8Pin EPS
    1x 8Pin PCI-E
    1x 6Pin PCI-E

They are all sleeved White-Black-White-Black etc.

No idea what they are worth tbh :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm not mental into overclocking these days anyway so cooling isn't my top priority. I'll be sticking a build log up when I get the parts although it might be done in phases since there's a few things I want to do.

I'd possibly be interested in those. Do you have any pictures? I was just going to grab those 4 connectors from bitfenix. It's about €30 for those 4 connections and they are 45cm.

The white/black mix might be nice with the case though. What length are they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement