Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm halfway through creating a USB anyway, so I have that as backup if the secureboot doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

Any know how well a 4670k would overclock with a H81 board. Currentry have a g3258 stable at 4.3ghz. Or should I just get a Xeon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It won't, the Core Series chips need a Z series motherboard to overclock. Nothing wrong with a regular i5 there though, it'd be a good upgrade for stability

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

catsbanter wrote: »
    Any know how well a 4670k would overclock with a H81 board. Currentry have a g3258 stable at 4.3ghz. Or should I just get a Xeon?

Should be able to push a 4670k up to 4.3Ghz or 4.4Ghz with good cooling. From what I've read the CPU itself is very good for overclocking.

It's about two years old, but still a very solid chip and you'll get a good lifespan from it.

edit:
    Digital to the rescue because I'm an idiot who didn't read the board type properly.
    derpaderpderp.

It won't, the Core Series chips need a Z series motherboard to overclock. Nothing wrong with a regular i5 there though, it'd be a good upgrade for stability

Thanks for the advice, will be either a xeon or i5 non overclocker depending on my budget in a week or two.

Sick of the stuttering in games with the g3258 with a r9 280.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I can overlock a 4690K to 4.4GHz+ on an MSI B85 G41. A BIOS update enabled the overclocking options.

dog_pig wrote: »
    I can overlock a 4690K to 4.4GHz+ on an MSI B85 G41. A BIOS update enabled the overclocking options.

Yea was kinda thinking it shud after since the h81 can overclock g3258

It shouldn't overclock on a B85 I don't think?

It won't on a H81 anyways, the G3258 is a Pentium and the 4690k is a Core i5, they're different lines

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Does anyone know where you can get a replacement crossfire cable? I'm selling my 7950 and my mate wants to crossfire them, but i cant find the cable anywhere :(

Vicxas wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get a replacement crossfire cable? I'm selling my 7950 and my mate wants to crossfire them, but i cant find the cable anywhere :(

Amazon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Vicxas wrote: »

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Flexible-Cross-Fire-Flex-AMD-ATI-Bridge-Interconnect-Connector-Cable-100mm-10cm-/350943953185?hash=item51b5e3c121

Any good to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

That'll do lads, sound.

Turns out i was googling the wrong thing/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Gumbi wrote: »
    has anybody successfully done a clean install with windows 10? I selected the option to reset the pc (selecting the option to remove all files, apps etc), and a few mins later, after preparing etc it restarted and threw the error "inaccessibleboot device".

I checked from the bios that it was booted from the proper drive (it was). Now it won't boot into my os at all, let alone reinstall windows 10. It just keeps coming up with the same error. Any tips?

I had some problems with boot priority, and then UEFI/Legacy mode.

Went in and selected UEFI, as I thought that's what I wanted/needed for W10. All went fine, until it came to selecting my partition, and each one was unavailable due to some error.

So went back to UEFI/Legacy, deleted partitions and made a new one, and was fine.

Don't know if I can go back and just select UEFI now. The clean install was worth it anyway, turns out I never really fully understood what partitions were for, so deleted excessive ones, and claimed back 60GB on a SSD, and loads more space.

Also turned out I had my OCZ SSD connected, thought I didn't So deleted that partition and now its available. Wont trust it with anything, but I guess nice to have.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I had some problems with boot priority, and then UEFI/Legacy mode.

Went in and selected UEFI, as I thought that's what I wanted/needed for W10. All went fine, until it came to selecting my partition, and each one was unavailable due to some error.

So went back to UEFI/Legacy, deleted partitions and made a new one, and was fine.

Don't know if I can go back and just select UEFI now. The clean install was worth it anyway, turns out I never really fully understood what partitions were for, so deleted excessive ones, and claimed back 60GB on a SSD, and loads more space.

Also turned out I had my OCZ SSD connected, thought I didn't So deleted that partition and now its available. Wont trust it with anything, but I guess nice to have.

Sound. I created a bootable USB at work this morning, which I'll try when I get home, and hopefully that'll work. I should get a nice bit of space back, not to mention a clean setup :P

Manually reinstalling my progs/games etc makes sure I only install what I need ie no crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looks like the first 2 Skylake chips are out,i7-6700k and the i5-6600k. Nice to see the high end desktops cpu's launched first

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation

OC3D (TTL) have a vid up,havent had a chance to watch it yet myself but here it is:

So a few weeks back I contacted Asus about a faulty power supply for my ROG Swift monitor.

The delivery guy just arrived and have me a new monitor....

I now have 2 of them. But no working PSU. I mean, I can buy one easily, but I feel like this is some kind of trap.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So a few weeks back I contacted Asus about a faulty power supply for my ROG Swift monitor.

The delivery guy just arrived and have me a new monitor....

I now have 2 of them. But no working PSU. I mean, I can buy one easily, but I feel like this is some kind of trap.

Monitors are bugged, there listening to you.

Sonics where is your sig from? I can't put a name to it and it's pissing me off :pac:

I'll take one of the ROGs if they're going

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Dr Who "Blink" (3x10)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dog_pig

It shouldn't overclock on a B85 I don't think?

Well it does, not many people seem to know about it but there are some references to it online.
    It won't on a H81 anyways, the G3258 is a Pentium and the 4690k is a Core i5, they're different lines

The reason for the BIOS update for the B85 board was to enable overclocking on the anniversary Pentium, so I wouldn't be so sure of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

A lot of B85 boards can overclock cpu's without issue, some may have issues with lack of cooling on the vrms but if you can force air over them, most should be fine.

Can someone who has a concise understanding of it explain this to me? Quick good just told me about ASUS boards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Ordered the SSD. Come to me, Linux.

Serephecus, I think I found out my original install issue as well as identifying a potential install issue.

I had to change my SATA config to IDE (from AHCI) in order to install Windows from USB. This, I believe, was my original problem when doing the standard reset from within Windows.

Now this means I'll have to do some registry chsnges so that I can boot in AHCI mode without running into bluscreens.

Did you run into this at all (I'm assuming you have an SSD and AHCI was enabled originall in BIOS)?

Sonics where is your sig from? I can't put a name to it and it's pissing me off :pac:

I'll take one of the ROGs if they're going

My cunning plan is to hide it away for a month or so, and if I haven't heard from them at all then I'll give it to OH half.

She's using an older VGA monitor of awful quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

linux users,

what distros are you all using? I just seem to hop from one to another and can't settle for one.

So far: ubuntu, Ubuntu+Gnome, fedora,Xubuntu, Korora,Mint..

I think I like Xubuntu and Korora the most out of those, Xubuntu I had an issue with my laptop where if I closed the lid, logged back in the screen would then go black and unresponsive...shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

arch for practice, lubuntu for admin tools. Windows for the rest.

Play on Linux, Mint or Bodhi.

What's putting you off each?

So that monitor they sent me is bloody faulty.

I'm pretty happy they didn't take the original one away because this one looks like absolute ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Play on Linux, Mint or Bodhi.

What's putting you off each?

Nothing in particular, more like the fear of missing out and wanting to try out everything :pac: I used Ubuntu for over 2 years on my College laptop but recently decided why not try other distros.

I would make the full switch on my main build especially since I am not that drawn towards Win10, but I'd be worried on missing out for some games etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement