Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you've got one running, you can install Steam and it'll give a list of "SteamOS and Linux" titles to see what's what straightaway, and then heaps of games have ports via the PlayOnLinux app

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dog_pig

It shouldn't overclock on a B85 I don't think?

It won't on a H81 anyways, the G3258 is a Pentium and the 4690k is a Core i5, they're different lines

http://i.imgur.com/Pjp8UG5.jpg

There weren't any overclocking options available to me until I updated the BIOS.

dog_pig wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/Pjp8UG5.jpg

There weren't any overclocking options available to me until I updated the BIOS.

I wasn't doubting you I just don't understand it, the rule was you can only overclock on Z boards :pac:

Wonder is it all B85s or just certain ones

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I wasn't doubting you I just don't understand it, the rule was you can only overclock on Z boards :pac:

Wonder is it all B85s or just certain ones

Haha I know, I had read about some boards allowing overclocking on the Pentium but I was surprised that I was able to with this CPU. As far as I know it's only ASUS/MSI motherboards.

I haven't worked out if there's any performance hit from using a "weaker" board. The only benchmark I've done is 3DMark Firestrike.

It only cost me €60 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

HowAreWe wrote: »
    linux users, what distros are you all using?

I ran Zorin for a whole year, just to see if I could live without windows. It worked out ok, I had no real issues and a windows free life is possible.

Then I built a new PC and had my old windows 7 install disk in a handy to reach spot, so am back on W7 ,, For Now !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

HowAreWe wrote: »
    linux users,

what distros are you all using? I just seem to hop from one to another and can't settle for one.

Currently elementaryOS, before that Antegeros, with cinnemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

Just as a side note to my post above, RE: Zorin .. There is a good Zorin review below..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1RmjaEqn7E

Worth a look..

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Zorin is nice, looks very windows-esque to be honest, I can see why its perfect for people trying to make the transition.

I think I'll stick with Xubuntu 15.04 for now, I like xfce and the Ubuntu community is great and helpful in general I find.

tried installing Arch to see what it was like, the installation was not straight forward is all I can say after about a minute I thought "okay maybe not this one".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Good thing about windows 10: when you resize a window to the width you want, then snap on the other side, the second window will meet the side of the other window. No more stupid always half and half snapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Isn't xubuntu just Ubuntu but for lower end hardware? Does it have the same features and support?

I have to decide what distro I want to use on this new ssd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

they're all the same just choose one that comes with the best wallpapers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Windows xp it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Windows xp it is then.

Field of green I like to call it

Bodhi is pretty fecking sweet looking, I think its an offshoot of Ubuntu so it's fairly easy to get support. Could br wrong there, I haven't used it in four years

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Best place to get a Synology DS214 Play with a 4TB WD red HDD?

Also is it just a case of popping in an extra 4TB HDD down the road when needs be?

Took me way too long to install the Hyper 212 Evo, couldn't get the damn screws in :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

EoinHef wrote: »
    Looks like the first 2 Skylake chips are out,i7-6700k and the i5-6600k. Nice to see the high end desktops cpu's launched first

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9483/intel-skylake-review-6700k-6600k-ddr4-ddr3-ipc-6th-generation

OC3D (TTL) have a vid up,havent had a chance to watch it yet myself but here it is:

Interesting to see the i7 having both much lower turbo settings and drastically higher power consumption (100-110W versus 65-75W from the few reviews I've seen) considering it has the same alleged TDP as the i5. Whatever fundamental design changes have been made for this gen really don't seem to like HyperThreading at all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I still think I'm missing something with the new skylake processors.

The 6700k pricing doesn't seem competitive towards Intel own 5820k which is a superior product on a superior platform.

Why would any go skylarke if pricing is nearly the same for x99 and haswell-e

Might be the pcie express lanes but on single core graphics cards. X8 and x16 mean nothing.

Thor your sig mades me sad :(

4562985262.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

4562985262.png

How were you playing online with me that day if your on mobile internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

4562985262.png

And that makes me sad. What kind of world to we live in, where a man can't get a decent broadband speed.

It's a sick world that's for sure.

Perhaps Three's new investment into their cell towers might bring you new coverage soon.

EDIT!!

That ping just says it all really. Might as well be using satellite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Took me way too long to install the Hyper 212 Evo, couldn't get the damn screws in :pac:

The worst fan to install. The worst. Took me the guts of 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Here is mine on a good day.

4562998066.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Thor wrote: »
    I still think I'm missing something with the new skylark processors.

The 6700k pricing doesn't seem competitive towards Intel own 5820k which is a superior product on a superior platform.

Why would any go skylarke if pricing is nearly the same for x99 and haswell-e

Might be the pcie express lanes but on single core graphics cards. X8 and x16 mean nothing.

Well higher clocked per core but I completely agree with you. When I saw Skylake specs ans price I instantly decided on X99; with a nice recent board mind...

How were you playing online with me that day if your on mobile internet?
    Thor wrote: »
    And that makes me sad. What kind of world to we live in, where a man can't get a decent broadband speed.

It's a sick world that's for sure.

Perhaps Three's new investment into their cell towers might bring you new coverage soon.

EDIT!!

That ping just says it all really. Might as well be using satellite.

It's normally around 0.5 download and upload, with an 80ms ping to Enniskillen, or 120 to Dublin. I was waiting for about a minute to download CPU-Z (1.5MB) so I decided to test it :pac: It's regularly this slow :( I cannot wait to move to Galway.
    Wright wrote: »
    The worst fan to install. The worst. Took me the guts of 30 minutes.

I'd say I was an hour at the shagging thing, I was using the wrong mounts for ages, didn't realise I was to use the tall ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'd say I was an hour at the shagging thing, I was using the wrong mounts for ages, didn't realise I was to use the tall ones.

Did it give you any scars? I'm always getting little cuts off heatsinks.

Did it give you any scars? I'm always getting little cuts off heatsinks.

Nope, after this, and tearing down two graphics cards I didn't come away with a scratch :pac: Silver Linings and all that

4563049149.png

Internet has decided to pull itself together. This is an average speed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

We used to have 240Mb. I kinda want it back. Was really nice having the extra upstream bandwidth.

4563101448.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Stop making me feel good about having an 8mbit connection! >_<

I'm very worried that our area's sole ISP is about to leave as they're trying to shift their core business from wireless over to 4G and fibre. Bad as they often are, if they left it would leave huge swathes of the north-east of Ireland with no internet access beyond dial-up! :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement