Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Thor wrote: »
    I still think I'm missing something with the new skylark processors.

The 6700k pricing doesn't seem competitive towards Intel own 5820k which is a superior product on a superior platform.

Why would any go skylarke if pricing is nearly the same for x99 and haswell-e

Might be the pcie express lanes but on single core graphics cards. X8 and x16 mean nothing.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Reckon I'll be going X99 for my new build instead of Skylake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

So Skylake isn't being well received then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Over here at least, due to poor price positioning compared to other enthusiast offerings and the fact that at the moment new-topology Ks aren't much use as they simply cost more (much more, factoring in the enthusiast-grade chipsets needed to support them) compared to locked CPUs of the same gen while offering poor OC ceilings for early adopters due to the usual new topology blues - the silicon let alone the BIOSes haven't had time to mature yet and get rid of some of the kinks.

For people looking for value "K" is a very dirty letter especially as OC trends continue toward lower percentages; for the bleeding edge 4 physical cores is considered built-in obsolescence and for the ranks of enthusiasts that walk a line between these two camps the new Ks offer less potential for more money than their own predecessors. Long term this will change, assuming the i7 has its kinks worked out as Skylake matures, but at the moment the early adopters are once again being giggled at :o:p

So if I was planning on upgrading this year I am better off sticking with Haswell-E then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Depends on your personal uses/situation really. In my own case, this next build needs to last me 4-5 years (I'm about to become a poverty stricken mature student), so the extra cores on X99 will (hopefully) add a bit of longevity over regular Haswell or Skylake. But as I'm moving up from an E8400, anything current would be a huge performance leap anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Still no reason to upgrade from socket 2011 for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Solitaire wrote: »
    Stop making me feel good about having an 8mbit connection! >_<

I'm very worried that our area's sole ISP is about to leave as they're trying to shift their core business from wireless over to 4G and fibre. Bad as they often are, if they left it would leave huge swathes of the north-east of Ireland with no internet access beyond dial-up! :eek:

Thats the potential issue with the NBP, it could bankrupt some WISPs which would leave some areas "dark" for an interim period. Long term though you have eircom, Siro and the DECNR all firing on all cylinders to roll out FTTH into rural areas.

Its kinda frustrating that the low power Atom series chips have octas but the mainstream still hasn't gone that way. The primary consumer line has been quad core for forever. We can probably blame the lack of competition for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Stop making me feel good about having an 8mbit connection! >_<

I'm very worried that our area's sole ISP is about to leave as they're trying to shift their core business from wireless over to 4G and fibre. Bad as they often are, if they left it would leave huge swathes of the north-east of Ireland with no internet access beyond dial-up! :eek:

National Broadband plan is being done up. It looks very likely that anything with its core business in fixed wireless will be dead in 5-10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

National Broadband plan is being done up. It looks very likely that anything with its core business in fixed wireless will be dead in 5-10 years.

A WISP is my best choice here where I live, rural-ish area, but not too far down the road they can avail of 240Mb UPC :pac:

Here's hoping SIRO rolls out to my area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Looking at getting a 2 in 1 for light work, browsing, and playing oldies. Baytrail-T at 1.3ghz base clock or Intel Atom Z3736F 1.33 GHz?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

ED E wrote: »
    Thats the potential issue with the NBP, it could bankrupt some WISPs which would leave some areas "dark" for an interim period. Long term though you have eircom, Siro and the DECNR all firing on all cylinders to roll out FTTH into rural areas.

It will bankrupt a lot of them as they were never really raking it in in the first place and a lot of their cachement areas they hold monopolies over will fall to either fibre or 4G.

But I live in the north-east, which is a different kettle of fish. The chance of anyone living outside a town getting fibre here is vanishingly slim. Some people might get fibre accidentally as a collateral effect of cables being run up to various Richies and TDs' country getaways but everyone else will be waiting til long after 2020 to even find out if the government will actually pursue the NBP to its gory conclusion or not. Given the last 20+ years track record the government has in relation to commitments and the north-east, most people living up this end of the country would laugh themselves silly if someone made outlandish claims about Dublin actually fulfilling any infrastructure promises here.

At least one that doesn't involve "helping" us by building Brit pylons through our towns and villages and hooking up biotox incinerators and offshore wind turbines (in the middle of the countryside!) to them to supply our British overlords with cheap electricity :rolleyes:

Its very likely that the NBP will get to the north-east last and government will step in saying "ah well who cares about those illiterate peasants, sure 4G is more than enough for them" completely ignoring that the terrain here causes countless large "rainshadow desert" areas that will never have 4G reception, just like they didn't have 3G reception. And most of those areas are full of homes who are hooked up to incorrect exchanges that are villages away over 5-10km of old, dodgy copper and have no ADSL access either. The death of monopoly-holding WISPs will cause large swathes of the north-east and other remote areas ignored by the NBP to be relegated back to satellite or dial-up.
    Its kinda frustrating that the low power Atom series chips have octas but the mainstream still hasn't gone that way. The primary consumer line has been quad core for forever. We can probably blame the lack of competition for that though.

That may change, but things will get worse before they get better. I suspect we're heading toward the absolute nadir of the CPU "long cycle" as Intel runs out of headroom with its existing processes and topologies and reaches the end of its "tick, tock, broken clock" cycle where its forced to completely discard existing design philosophies as it has done with 486, Pentium and Netburst before. We're heading toward the point of maximum stagnation where Intel is virtually moribund but AMD has not yet caught up in order to apply pressure. When it does, we'll see Intel desperately vomiting out dodgy 150W TDP 4.8GHz hex-cores like there was no tomorrow and a lot of consumers switching to AMD just like every "broken clock" phase they go through until they manage to get the dev clock fixed and release their latest Pentium/Itanium/Core2 rival-killer.

That's still some ways off unfortunately, and while the current dev clock struggles on through its last death throes Intel will be keeping innovation to a minimum and consumer price water-torture to the maximum while it throws everything into all of its R&D departments to help find a new design philosophy to push its next major CPU evolution :/

The chance of anyone living outside a town getting fibre here is vanishingly slim.

That the heart of the problem though. Ireland and England have a huge problem with once off ribbon development in every direction. So when it comes to providing services, like phones/water/sewage/broadband/electricity, the cost becomes immenense and the commercial feasibility tanks. There is a huge social cost to our many years of bad planning and its coming home to roost.

That the heart of the problem though. Ireland and England have a huge problem with once off ribbon development in every direction. So when it comes to providing services, like phones/water/sewage/broadband/electricity, the cost becomes immenense and the commercial feasibility tanks. There is a huge social cost to our many years of bad planning and its coming home to roost.

We've done this to death over in the BB forum but the way the NBP "intervention" areas should work will allow for a good chunk of ribbon developments to be covered.

The breakthrough is in the fact that GPON can go 10KM without degrading but can also be split ad-hoc along the run. They can hang it down a road out from town and take drops off every house or two (up to 30 premises per 6mm optic). Makes it a LOT more economical than copper in population sparse areas.

ED E wrote: »
    We've done this to death over in the BB forum but the way the NBP "intervention" areas should work will allow for a good chunk of ribbon developments to be covered.

The breakthrough is in the fact that GPON can go 10KM without degrading but can also be split ad-hoc along the run. They can hang it down a road out from town and take drops off every house or two (up to 30 premises per 6mm optic). Makes it a LOT more economical than copper in population sparse areas.

Like every other tech project, no point is speculating without knowing what the end budget is.

Anyone here recording gameplay with hardware? Had an avermedia portable, bad experience overall, wouldn't pass through to my LG so couldn't really use it for consoles unless I wanted the added challenge of software window 3 second lag lol.
    Thinking about going with an internal card for the next build if it'll help. Looking to avoid Avermedia. Anyone got any suggestions for a decently priced card that captures the maximum res/fps out there atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A R9 290 records gameplay and is a decent graphics card, they can also be picked up fairly cheaply second hand from adverts.

A R9 290 records gameplay and is a decent graphics card to boot, they can also be picked up fairly cheaply second hand from adverts.

A 290 can capture from consoles? That would be news to me.

Wright wrote: »
    A 290 can capture from consoles? That would be news to me.

Ok sorry didn't read about consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Try one of the console forums? :confused:

Elgato is the only one I've ever heard of

Try one of the console forums? :confused:

Elgato is the only one I've ever heard of

Better here, it's probably an internal capture card I'd be looking at this go round.

wotzgoinon mate I'm laughing here... what you're talking about is possible on pretty much all new cards going back two years or more, not just 'the 290'... :D nVidia has Shadowplay, AMD has one too and then there's OBS which most recommend, not sure if that uses GPU side though.

• Advertisement

I know they all have it, I just picked the best card for performance/cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

does anyone else's computer boot before their keyboard turns on and therefore can't get into the bios :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

HowAreWe wrote: »
    does anyone else's computer boot before their keyboard turns on and therefore can't get into the bios :pac:

If your keyboard is plugged into a USB3 port try swapping it to a USB2 port.

HowAreWe wrote: »

The dark side of SSD's... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

^ SSD is unrelated to the issue.

Swapping between the USB ports usually works. Otherwise, have a spare keyboard for when you need it. Some BIOS setup menus allow you to extend the timers for hitting a key, but adds extra time for each boot , which you may not want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I got a new mobo a few weeks back and its painfully slow booting up.Feels like i'm using a mec drive not an ssd. :(

Monotype wrote: »
    ^ SSD is unrelated to the issue.

Or bad keyboards, whatever...

game4it70 wrote: »
    I got a new mobo a few weeks back and its painfully slow booting up.Feels like i'm using a mec drive not an ssd. :(

Same with my Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 mobo. Have never been able to pinpoint the issue so I'm often waiting around 30-45 seconds to reach the logon screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Danger781 wrote: »
    Same with my Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 mobo. Have never been able to pinpoint the issue so I'm often waiting around 30-45 seconds to reach the logon screen.

Mine is a Msi X99S Gaming 7 and i've also tried to pinpoint whats causing it wuth no luck at all.All i know is its the mobo initialization where its slow,as soon as i see windows ten logo its instant. :rolleyes:
    My Z87 gaming mobo was fine.

• Advertisement

Most mobos have a "Quiet Boot" or similar option. Turn that off and you'll see its steps.

Mine was rather fast until I added some USB hubs and USB3.0 PCIE card, it takes a good 10seconds to enumerate them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement