Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

spent 130 i can't really afford to spend buying a new psu that hasn't in any way fixed the problem i was having

i guess the old psu was like 5-6 years old so a new one doesn't hurt anything but ugh. that 130 was half of the monitor i can't really afford now. not to mention the fact that hD sentinel tells me one of my drives has 13 days left to live. i mentioned it obviously because im pissed off about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

How much is a Pentium G3258 worth?
    I'm selling some stuff on adverts and not sure about prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Still trying to find myself a panel I can be happy with. Currently looking at the Asus VG248QE. Any reason not to? It's two years old but seems fine for my needs.

And how to go about finding it for as cheap as possible? I read somewhere there's basically a search engine for different European Amazon Stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

How much is a Pentium G3258 worth?
    I'm selling some stuff on adverts and not sure about prices.

Warranty?

List for €60 with a warranty, don't sell for less than 50
    Without one, list for 50 and sell for 40 min is how I'd go

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, kind of random question.

Can you still unlock iphones easy enough?

Now, its not for me lol. My GF broke hers and I have an upgrade ready. I could take on for her, but I am with meteor and she is with vodafone. So unlock is needed, if even possible out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lads, kind of random question.

Can you still unlock iphones easy enough?

Now, its not for me lol. My GF broke hers and I have an upgrade ready. I could take on for her, but I am with meteor and she is with vodafone. So unlock is needed, if even possible out of the box.

I have no idea but they should know over in the Apple devices forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Doge

Right, i think i've found the perfect blower for getting dust out of your PC, and they're really cheap compared to the Datavac ED500.

They're basically generic Chinese 600 watt Mini blowers. They can be used to suck up dust too but im not sure that would be as effective.

The first I found was this Pro Union one:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/209250183.html

Heres a video of it on action:

Heres a vid of a Jap variant, better closeups of its effectiveness:

The cheapest I've found are from UK sellers on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251794429542

That particular one has a UK plug and has 2 spare carbon brushes for the motor if they need to be replaced down the line.

Comes to about €30 with parcel motel included. :)

I just hope its as powerful as the Pro Union one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Random annoying thing.

Played FC3 for the first time in ages today. The whole thing is a mess of stuttering.

Tried V-Sync on/off, driver updates, lower details, etc.

Anyone know any fixes for this? It's driving me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Serephucus wrote: »
    Random annoying thing.

Played FC3 for the first time in ages today. The whole thing is a mess of stuttering.

Same thing happening for me, eventually gave up and went back to Shadow of Mordor. Would like to know if there is any fixes for this though as I was looking forward to playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Serephucus wrote: »
    Random annoying thing.

A friend had this issue. Disabling shadow play sorted it for him.

• Advertisement

How much are these worth?
    Asus H81M-Plus micro atx motherboard
    Crucial ballistix sport DDR3 8GB kit (2x4GB)

€30-50 depending on condition and features
    I'd say €25-35 for the RAM, depending on age.

What's the RAM at, 1866 mhz?

Wright wrote: »
    What's the RAM at, 1866 mhz?

I think 1600

Its this one
    http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/bls2c4g3d169ds3ceu

Hmm. I would say even less than what the poster above suggested. Maybe 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Having some minor issues on Windows 10 while returning to my old overclock settings.

So essentially, I am running now at 4.9ghz at 1.31v and 1.9v VRIN and 1.1v ring voltage. All running decently. HOWEVER. I want to make sure I'm not throttling slightly at the highest clock speed. I don't seem to be, but I want to make sure.

My turbo power limit is currently set to Auto (88w) and my current limit is set to Auto (105 Amps). Obviously I want to make these high enough to remove any chance of down clocking. HOWEVER. It seems as if any number I pick (120/120, even 180/180 ie way over the auto settings) seems to have a safetly mechanism or some such kick in, and when I bench in cinebench, my CPU throttles and downclock, and for example, runs at like 2ghz (yes, that low! it only gets to 50 degrees) and scores something like 400 in cinebench.

Any ideas? It seems like Auto is doing the job for me, and it sticks to 4.9 ghz in cinebench ( haven't done more extended stress tests yet however), but it would be nice for some input. Maybe a safety mechanism is kicking in, and perhaps I should only set them to slightly above the auto settings, say 100/110 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

I tried asking this in the Graphics forum, but it seems a little dead in there. Are VTX3D cards any good? I was looking at a Sapphire R9 290 but then saw a VTX3D 290X for a tenner more.

Also, completely unrelated, how are Computer Universe for returns? :P

bertie4evr wrote: »
    I tried asking this in the Graphics forum, but it seems a little dead in there. Are VTX3D cards any good? I was looking at a Sapphire R9 290 but then saw a VTX3D 290X for a tenner more.

Also, completely unrelated, how are Computer Universe for returns? :P

They make cheap models with bad coolers. I wouldn't go for them. If you're looking for a 290, most of the models are decent, I would go for a Powercolor PCS or a Sapphire Trix (new edition preferably).

Gumbi wrote: »
    They make cheap models with bad coolers. I wouldn't go for them. If you're looking for a 290, most of the models are decent, I would go for a Powercolor PCS or a Sapphire Trix (new edition preferably).

From what I could find it looks like VTX3D and Powercolor are one and the same.

What do you mean?

• Advertisement

Having some minor issues on Windows 10 while returning to my old overclock settings.

So essentially, I am running now at 4.9ghz at 1.31v and 1.9v VRIN and 1.1v ring voltage. All running decently. HOWEVER. I want to make sure I'm not throttling slightly at the highest clock speed. I don't seem to be, but I want to make sure.

My turbo power limit is currently set to Auto (88w) and my current limit is set to Auto (105 Amps). Obviously I want to make these high enough to remove any chance of down clocking. HOWEVER. It seems as if any number I pick (120/120, even 180/180 ie way over the auto settings) seems to have a safetly mechanism or some such kick in, and when I bench in cinebench, my CPU throttles and downclock, and for example, runs at like 2ghz (yes, that low! it only gets to 50 degrees) and scores something like 400 in cinebench.

Any ideas? It seems like Auto is doing the job for me, and it sticks to 4.9 ghz in cinebench ( haven't done more extended stress tests yet however), but it would be nice for some input. Maybe a safety mechanism is kicking in, and perhaps I should only set them to slightly above the auto settings, say 100/110 or something?

My balls shrank reading that. So glad I just stick with turbo even though I buy K processors. Unless you're programming/folding/running virtual machines there is no reason for this headache lol

What do you mean?

Powercolor and VTX3D are owned by the same company, they just serve different markets (Powercolor for US, VTX3D for Europe and Asia).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What do you mean?

That theyre a rebadge, one OEM two brands.

My balls shrank reading that. So glad I just stick with turbo even though I buy K processors. Unless you're programming/folding/running virtual machines there is no reason for this headache lol

Hardly a headache, as it stands I have it working. 4.9ghz for 1.31v? Yes please... It's a massive boon in CPU limited games.

Powercolor and VTX3D are owned by the same company, they just serve different markets (Powercolor for US, VTX3D for Europe and Asia).

VTX3D put out cheap coolers though. Powercolor PCS 290s are damn good though.

Hardly a headache, as it stands I have it working. 4.9ghz for 1.31v? Yes please... It's a massive boon in CPU limited games.

Yeah played ARMA, Starcraft etc. on my stock 3770K and 4770K processors and they flew along; no need for all that hassle. I still buy K for the option of it a few years down the line but I always seem to move before that ever happens. People that overclock a brand new CPU out of the box confuse me, is it some sort of epeen thing or do they just like electronics, or are they some sort of voltmaniacs? lol

Yeah played ARMA, Starcraft etc. on my stock 3770K and 4770K processors and they flew along; no need for all that hassle. I still buy K for the option of it a few years down the line but I always seem to move before that ever happens. People that overclock a brand new CPU out of the box confuse me, is it some sort of epeen thing or do they just like electronics, or are they some sort of voltmaniacs? lol

I'm hardly going to say no to free performance. And in any case, SC2 drops to 20FPS in late game scenarios, even on the fastest CPUs, so having 4.9ghz pushing that over 30FPS really helps a lot.

They're designed with massive tolerances to be overclocked out of the box.

Stay well away from both is my recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Random thoughts in my brain. So my desktop at its core is a 2007 dual core duo, with a SSD harddrive, new gpu etc. Which has turned into a light gaming and mostly web browsing, when I started to play with vm's, the 4GB was limiting and buying extra DDR2 ram seems like a waste of money. I half joked to myself that getting a cheap mobo, pentium cpu and 8 DDR3 ram would be a cheap upgrade.

I do some Android development on my laptop, since I need the mobility, it would be nice however, to use a bigger screen. The new i5-6600k is looking very tempting, for something that would last me another 8+ years. Or maybe I could wait for the second gen Skylake 10nm cpu, since that is the limit to silicon chips and the replacements could take a few years to be on sale.

Looking forward to seeing the new builds that will be put together that may help me decide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, does Win 10 Cortana works in Ireland? I heard some where it doesnt, but there is a way of making it work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement