Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Guys, does Win 10 Cortana works in Ireland? I heard some where it doesnt, but there is a way of making it work?

My mate asked what i thought of it so it must

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Guys, does Win 10 Cortana works in Ireland? I heard some where it doesnt, but there is a way of making it work?

If you set your region, language and speech language to the UK or USA then it'll work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, with a bit of fiddling. You need to change the language and region to UK English. Then restart it. Then apply update and let it download the language pack. Then let it install. Then restart. Then install the pack for voice and speech UK English. Then restart.

Sometimes the packages don't show up. I had to do a few restarts before the UK voice pack would show up and I'm pretty sure you need the language pack to be fully installed first before you have the option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Sorry Cortana doesn't understand the howya dialect :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No but seemingly does well with scouse and Glaswegian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wright wrote: »

She will fecking LEARN! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

She will fecking LEARN! :D

Jacinta the through and through dub is one thing, but the cork accent, poor Cortana will think she's listening to an alien race!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ED E wrote: »
    Jacinta the through and through dub is one thing, but the cork accent, poor Cortana will think she's listening to an alien race!

You forget that ShadowHearth is lithuanian... and has what can only be described as a lithucorkian accent. If you reckon cork is alien, wait til she hears that :pac:

You forget that ShadowHearth is lithuanian... and has what can only be described as a lithucorkian accent. If you reckon cork is alien, wait til she hears that :pac:

Lithuania? Is that the place in the wardrobe with the lion?

Lithuania is probably tier 6 on Xbox One's release schedule; coming 2017.

I'll be here all week folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still better than Donegal :pac:

Just spotted this, kinda unbelievable

• Advertisement

Lithuania? Is that the place in the wardrobe with the lion?

Lithuania is probably tier 6 on Xbox One's release schedule; coming 2017.

I'll be here all week folks.

Jaysus, I would never shout at Cortana in Lithuanian. I barely even talk that language any more. I got only 1 friend left that I talk in Lithuanian all other friends are Irish, Northern Irish or Polish and I have Irish GF now too. Cortana will have easier job understanding my Lithocorkian accent then Lithuanian lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

ED E wrote: »
    Just spotted this, kinda unbelievable

Thought that might have been Shadow for a second. :P

That's really cool. I'd no idea vibration actually made that big of an impact (though my hard drives aren't in a giant rack mount)

Glad I went with Reds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Thought that might have been Shadow for a second. :P

That's really cool. I'd no idea vibration actually made that big of an impact (though my hard drives aren't in a giant rack mount)

Glad I went with Reds now.

All drives have that capability and have done for years. When you see how it works, you can understand why. I still cringe when I see people walking around with platter drive laptops turned on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its quite funny folks. I was at my wits end trying to get a monitor that ill be happy with. I was stubborn in a sense I had to get a Aspect Ratio: 21:9 3440x1440 because I believe this is the future of gaming

I was cursed because every monitor I went for was either horrible back light bleeding or went dead

My first monitor
    AOC U3477PQU: this had the worse back light bleeding I have ever seen in a monitor. I went through 2 of these monitors and each one was dreadful for BLB

Samsung S34E790C: colours weren't vibrate and it went dead.

I went back on what I said recently about not going near LG. There was a reason for that because LG Panels have known issues of late with BLB and no quality control at the factories

I took the jump and went for a LG 34UC97. I got it from amazon because I know I wont have issues for returns. Im please to say im happy so far with it. I have to continue testing but its very good so far. Yes there's BLB but its hardly nothing compared to the AOC.

Fingers crossed it stays like this

Ill have pics up soon

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

getting a 390 soon, so quick question, will my 650 W Corsair be enough for:

4x4GB DDR3,2HDD & 1 SSD, a 390, a 4460 with stock cooler, 1 x250 MM fan and 4x 120MM fans

Tried those calculator things, some are coming in at ~500 but got one as high as ~750W :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yes it will

Headshot wrote: »
    Its quite funny folks. I was at my wits end trying to get a monitor that ill be happy with. I was stubborn in a sense I had to get a Aspect Ratio: 21:9 3440x1440 because I believe this is the future of gaming

I was cursed because every monitor I went for was either horrible back light bleeding or went dead

My first monitor
    AOC U3477PQU: this had the worse back light bleeding I have ever seen in a monitor. I went through 2 of these monitors and each one was dreadful for BLB

Samsung S34E790C: colours weren't vibrate and it went dead.

I went back on what I said recently about not going near LG. There was a reason for that because LG Panels have known issues of late with BLB and no quality control at the factories

I took the jump and went for a LG 34UC97. I got it from amazon because I know I wont have issues for returns. Im please to say im happy so far with it. I have to continue testing but its very good so far. Yes there's BLB but its hardly nothing compared to the AOC.

Fingers crossed it stays like this

Ill have pics up soon

21:9 1440p is indeed the not so distant future. 4K takes too much to drive and curved screens can feck off; such a gimmick. Hope to have a 21:9 by Fallout 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

21:9 is the business. Once you try it it's hard to go back.

I still would love to have 21:9 1440p version some day, even if I have my pc connected to TV for almost a year now.

What kind off GPU setup we talking to be able to run one of these at 60?

I still would love to have 21:9 1440p version some day, even if I have my pc connected to TV for almost a year now.

380/290 essentially; 970 with its VRAM issues wouldn't be a guaranteed thing I'd say. Gonna be hitting the 4GB on games like Shadow of Mordor easy at 2560X1440.

• Advertisement

1440p? A 970 or 290/390, overclocked would be the minimum for ultraish settings, so they're not way out of reach or anything

Hmmmm So you think 970 and 390x would actually cut it? I am still on 680, which is fine for 1080p stuff, but I dont think it would even cut it for 21:9 1080p version.

My current setup is kind of really ****ed up, but very comfy. It could really use a bigger monitor though. 50inch TV as main and I got my legs and 2312hm on a coffee table. :D I play on TV and have monitor as secondary for movies, but if I could get bigger monitor.... Hmmmmm :)

The aspect ratio doesn't matter, it's the same pixel count.

Well I'm nearly sure on that, open to correction

Edit again. I think I've myself totally confused. For 2560x1080 (or whatever it is) a 970 or 290 would be grand, they would probably be a little bit weak for 3440x1440, but that'd be for the likes of GTAV or TW3 imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Different pixel counts on 21:9. A 1080p wide screen is 2560x1080. I don't know a 1440p Ultrawide off the top of my head though I will have to google that.

edit: 3440x1440 where as a 16:9 is 2560x1440

Different pixel counts on 21:9. A 1080p wide screen is 2560x1080. I don't know a 1440p Ultrawide off the top of my head though I will have to google that.

edit: 3440x1440 where as a 16:9 is 2560x1440

Yeah I had only copped after I typed it that it made no sense :pac:

Edit again. I think I've myself totally confused. For 2560x1080 (or whatever it is) a 970 or 290 would be grand, they would probably be a little bit weak for 3440x1440, but that'd be for the likes of GTAV or TW3 imo

Bless :P

(It's still 2560 at 1440p 21:9 unless I'm mistaken.)

EDIT: 3440 are we sure? Surely the width number stays the same no?

Jeez that's a ton of pixels to be moving.

Edit 2: Seems so. Yeah I can't see a 970 doing 60 on one of those. The 8 gigs of unified VRAM and 512 memory bus of a 390 would be a better call there.

Bless :P

(It's still 2560 at 1440p 21:9 unless I'm mistaken.)

EDIT: 3440 are we sure? Surely the width number stays the same no?

Jeez that's a ton of pixels to be moving.

Edit 2: Seems so. Yeah I can't see a 970 doing 60 on one of those. The 8 gigs of unified VRAM and 512 memory bus of a 390 would be a better call there.

I'm getting my results tomorrow I've bigger fish to fry!

Wotz has it right, 2560x1440 at 16:9, 3440x1440 at 21:9

Sure if the width stayed the same they'd just start getting square again.

Yeah the AMD cards would be better suited but I'd say a 970 would push it. It'd struggle a lot more I think, because of the VRAM

I'm getting my results tomorrow I've bigger fish to fry!

Sure you're only a baba what are ye doing up at 2AM at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most 21:9 screens are 2560 x 1080 and are a fantastic display and not much more demanding than 1080P; a 290 is more than enough to drive all current games at ultra settings no problem. It has to be seen to be believed; once you play FPS like Battlefield on 21:9, it's very difficult to go back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

@ headshot

You know BLB cam be reduced by adjusting the panel sometimes.

1440p is definitely going to be the next affordable HD standard. 4k is going to be skipped for 5k.

If I get a new monitor it will be those Korean overclockable ones. Ips panel, 1440p, OC to 75-120Hz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement