Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Grrrrrrrrr :mad::mad::mad::mad:

My replacement Corsair K70 has developed a fault.The "A" key either misses a click or double clicks randomly.

When i rma'ed the first K70 they told me this,
    Our warranty policy states that Corsair is not responsible for shipping expenses of the item to our facility.
    However we will issue you a one-time courtesy of a prepaid UPS shipping label to cover your shipping expenses.
    Please allow 1-2 business days for the label to generate and deliver to your email

Not looking forward to having to pay for this K70 to be shipped to the UK :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

game4it70 wrote: »

My replacement Corsair K70 has developed a fault.The "A" key either misses a click or double clicks randomly.

That still shouldn't affect your statutory rights , which by Irish law means they need to cover expenses for replacing or repairing.
    Spent days pouring over the site after Meteor refused to replace my Tablet , finally got them to budge with allot of strongly worded letters and the help of the CCPC
    If you buy something online from a business based in the EU and it is faulty, the same rights apply as if you had bought it in a shop. You should complain to the seller in writing immediately (by email, fax or letter) and ask for a refund or replacement. Where a refund has been agreed, the seller must refund you your money within 14 days. Under EU law, the seller will have to pay for any return shipping costs - See more at: http://www.consumerhelp.ie/online-returns#2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Thanks for that link Papu.

I'll see what they say when i open my ticket.I really don't want another bloody K70 that may develop the same problem again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Damn I covered shipping to replace my PSU recently. Was nearly €50 too as far as I remember.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

game4it70 wrote: »

Corsair have gone so downhill. I had a Razer Chroma, flawless. Gonna be looking at the tournament edition for the next build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Wright wrote: »
    Corsair have gone so downhill. I had a Razer Chroma, flawless. Gonna be looking at the tournament edition for the next build.

They seem to have, in the last 18 months I have RMA'ed two PSU's, a H80 cooler and a wrist rest for my K70-the rubber coating started to peel off.

The good news is they are decent to deal with, and the RMA process is quick enough. It cost me €35 to send one PSU back, no collection label sent which I consider a bit miserable.

glynf wrote: »
    They seem to have, in the last 18 months I have RMA'ed two PSU's, a H80 cooler and a wrist rest for my K70-the rubber coating started to peel off.

The good news is they are decent to deal with, and the RMA process is quick enough. It cost me €35 to send one PSU back, no collection label sent which I consider a bit miserable.

I had a h80i. Was like living beside Dublin airport. Going back to air because of it. At least their RAM is still good and they got rid of the trampstamp.

I got a H80i instead :) The stock fans are a joke for sure; changed my PSU this AM, so its the nosiest thing in my PC. Trimmed the speed to 40% so its bearable, but really need to replace that damn fan..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

@ headshot

You know BLB cam be reduced by adjusting the panel sometimes.

1440p is definitely going to be the next affordable HD standard. 4k is going to be skipped for 5k.

If I get a new monitor it will be those Korean overclockable ones. Ips panel, 1440p, OC to 75-120Hz.

If you get a good one its a bargain,using one for a good while now. Sitting at 96Hz,minimal BLB and no dead pixels. Was a bargain for €300 including €50 duty

EoinHef wrote: »
    If you get a good one its a bargain,using one for a good while now. Sitting at 96Hz,minimal BLB and no dead pixels. Was a bargain for €300 including €50 duty

That's also as high as I could get mine. It works at 110Hz but the whole screen looks hazy. Currently using 96Hz with a DisplayPort cable but there is some artifacts appearing on my screen momentarily now & again. This only started happening since swapping to DP from DVI.

• Advertisement

Danger781 wrote: »
    Damn I covered shipping to replace my PSU recently. Was nearly €50 too as far as I remember.

Ask them for a reimbursement , if they refuse take them to the small claims court , it'll cost you 25€ if you do but maybe the threat will be enough to get you a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

^ Sweet man. Yeah definitely would love one of those screens but I cannot justify any hardware upgrades right now. My machine is plenty capable and this BenQ 120Hz is doing me fine for now. The next display I'll probably ever purchase next will be a HMD. Depending on their specs when in full release and possible software or even DEs available I could potentially virtualise multiple displays rather than actually having them.

Still waiting around for that damn bluetooth dongle and now the SSD. They really do take a long time when ordering from DX but I knew that when I payed that super cheap price :pac: I just wish I could install linux ASAP and get some stuff done. Apparently there's a way to lightboost this 120Hz on Linux, too. Just less user-friendly but that's ok. A lightboosted 120Hz on Linux will probably force me to finally give CS:GO a run :P

And I'll be free of that bollocks frame-syncing that windows seems to do on lots of games when they're not fullscreen and you have multiple monitors. It essentially limits the seeable FPS by the lowest of whatever is moving on any of the screens not being used for gaming... so often sub 30. It doesn't limit the actual internal FPS rendering, though... so the game could still be blasting your GPU and electricity bill in the triple digits framerates even though windows refuses to display them. I feel like Hank Hill... god dang it windows.

papu wrote: »
    Ask them for a reimbursement , if they refuse take them to the small claims court , it'll cost you 25€ if you do but maybe the threat will be enough to get you a refund.

I already agreed via email that I would cover. Had I seen the above I would not have. Other than that though, Seasonic were a pleasure to deal with. My emails were normally responded to within minutes.

And I'll be free of that bollocks frame-syncing that windows seems to do on lots of games when they're not fullscreen and you have multiple monitors. It essentially limits the seeable FPS by the lowest of whatever is moving on any of the screens not being used for gaming... so often sub 30. It doesn't limit the actual internal FPS rendering, though... so the game could still be blasting your GPU and electricity bill in the triple digits framerates even though windows refuses to display them. I feel like Hank Hill... god dang it windows.

How would you check this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I personally just noticed it. Going from 120fps to ~30 is pretty feckin' striking. I knew it was windows when I'd grab a window from the secondary or tertiary monitor and move it around a little and I'd the game's seeable FPS become super smooth temporarily again (because of the smooth movement of the window I had grabbed). Once I let it go windows would sync all the monitors back up again with something dumb like objects on webpages, gifs. Hell, even the flashing of the little vertical line in text boxes to let you know where you're typing couldn't escape windows' syncing obsession.

Some games are immune or resistant to it, though. Like Warframe could go non-fullscreen and still maintain perceivable triple digit framerates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Lads would anyone know about soldering a 2 pin fan cable onto a board that currently has a 3 pin cable? I can see the solder points, with +, - and S but I've no idea what S is, so don't want to break my fans.

*edit* Would changing the connectors and leaving the S free work? Doubt it, but maybe someone knows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Danger781 wrote: »
    That's also as high as I could get mine. It works at 110Hz but the whole screen looks hazy. Currently using 96Hz with a DisplayPort cable but there is some artifacts appearing on my screen momentarily now & again. This only started happening since swapping to DP from DVI.

My model is DVI only,great that you were able to get that out of the model with the scaler.

Lads would anyone know about soldering a 2 pin fan cable onto a board that currently has a 3 pin cable? I can see the solder points, with +, - and S but I've no idea what S is, so don't want to break my fans.

*edit* Would changing the connectors and leaving the S free work? Doubt it, but maybe someone knows

this might help http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_PC_Fans_Work/

papu wrote: »

Yate Loon are loud and BeQuiet and Nanoxia are peripheral so they can all eat a ****, I'm buying a connector :pac:

Would ye say its about time I started quoting Skylake to people on here, or would I be as well sticking to Haswell for the time being.

Your cheapest Skylake mobo is €25 more than a general single GPU Haswell so I'm unsure about budgeting and what to actually recommended, seeing as they aren't a huge jump anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Would ye say its about time I started quoting Skylake to people on here, or would I be as well sticking to Haswell for the time being.

Your cheapest Skylake mobo is €25 more than a general single GPU Haswell so I'm unsure about budgeting and what to actually recommended, seeing as they aren't a huge jump anyways.

It depends on how old the OP's current machine is, if its more than 3 years old then it would be worthwhile to look at. I presume getting a 1151pin and DDR4 MB would extend the life of the pc as older parts get more expensive.

I am currently debating a sensible pentium upgrade to my ancient machine vs the new shiny options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Whichever is cheaper I suppose, as the performance difference isn't massive. Intel seem to be charging quite a bit more for these chips than they have before at launch.

The 4790k is currently 256 pounds vs 384 of the 6700k at the moment! Madness Ted!

For new builds and how long they are planning to keep, and how tight I am to the budget are all factors. I'll probably keep with Haswell for now then so

EoinHef wrote: »
    Was a bargain for €300 including €50 duty

lol how much? Jeebus you could walk into Yongsan Electronics market at get one of those for or the equivalent of $125. Interesting markup. They're basically passé there, Shimians and Crossfits as far as the eye can see, going for nowt.

Saw a 21:9 shimian a few months back, but it was $250 for a 29" 1080p 15m/s one so I didn't bother, but it's a sign they will be coming. Certainly Shimian is willing to buy cases for the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tadcan wrote: »
    It depends on how old the OP's current machine is, if its more than 3 years old then it would be worthwhile to look at. I presume getting a 1151pin and DDR4 MB would extend the life of the pc as older parts get more expensive.

I am currently debating a sensible pentium upgrade to my ancient machine vs the new shiny options.

Hmmm, I just checked some benchmarks and it does not look like there is any point in to upgrading if a person is on anything starting from Sandy bridge ( 2500k ) and up. Specially when you consider the price bump. DDr4 is not worth the cost too. The only reason I can think of to upgrade to new chipset is pretty much ePenis.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Amazon are pr1cks, keep dropping the price of WD reds for 1 minute then restoring them to where they were, by the time Ive read the email theyre back at normal pricing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Hmmm, I just checked some benchmarks and it does not look like there is any point in to upgrading if a person is on anything starting from Sandy bridge ( 2500k ) and up. Specially when you consider the price bump. DDr4 is not worth the cost too. The only reason I can think of to upgrade to new chipset is pretty much ePenis.

Which benchmarks are those? Intel claims up to a 30% boast on 3rd gen cpu's.

ED E wrote: »
    Amazon are pr1cks, keep dropping the price of WD reds for 1 minute then restoring them to where they were, by the time Ive read the email theyre back at normal pricing :mad:

Camelcamelcamel is a decent price tracker, works with amazon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tadcan wrote: »
    Which benchmarks are those? Intel claims up to a 30% boast on 3rd gen cpu's.

I just googled it. Just went through few websites. I only focused on gaming benchmarks and increase was only like 5fps vs i7 2600k

• Advertisement

pretty much ePenis.

Nah wouldn't qualify for that. A little, I mean DDR3 is fine for now, but it's more for future proofing, and more optimized power consumption. I mean two years ago this board would have recommended i5's in all new builds; but with DX12 on the horizon, who knows if that was a good idea after all? DDR4 can be had for the same price as DDR3 pretty much, and there's no stories of exploding sticks, so go for it I say. If you're building a whole new rig. Same with the newest cpu's. Not worth upgrading over, but if its a whole new rig, go for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement