Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not mental into overclocking these days anyway so cooling isn't my top priority. I'll be sticking a build log up when I get the parts although it might be done in phases since there's a few things I want to do.

I'd possibly be interested in those. Do you have any pictures? I was just going to grab those 4 connectors from bitfenix. It's about €30 for those 4 connections and they are 45cm.

The white/black mix might be nice with the case though. What length are they?

Ill get a picture up tomorrow of what I have and you can see. I believe they are 30cm and I also have the extensions for the front cables. HDD Light/PWR/Reset done the same. The only one I used was the 24 pin ATX.

I was going to do a build log for mine but I have a feeling things will be done in phases and it wouldnt be updated for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, saw that a few days back. My laptop, server, and desktop are all affected.

Didn't notice a thing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Looks like Nvidia has crippled Adaptive Sync on their new cards so it's G-sync only, greedy bastards.

Sensationalist title.

All NVIDIA have done is not support A-Sync with their new line of GPUs, and prioritise G-Sync instead. Hardly surprising seeing as they invented it, pushed it forward, and sunk a tonne of money into it. They're a business at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Will the sync tech make gaming fluid at 30/60 fps? If it did would it not undermine the reason people have to upgrade GPU's every year or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What's the story with PCI-E SSDs?

Are they worth it?

At the moment, no. I'm personally questioning if they'll ever be worth it.

Sure, we're "bottlenecked" by SATA 6.0Gb/s at the moment, but who the hell needs more than 550MB/s anyway?

As for A/G-Sync meaning less frequent upgrades - Probably. Not having used a G-Sync monitor, I can't comment as to how fluid 30 FPS feels, but I'd imagine it'll impact sales a little. Still, there are lots of people upgrading from 780 Tis to 980s, so it might not be that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Serephucus wrote: »
    At the moment, no. I'm personally questioning if they'll ever be worth it.

Sure, we're "bottlenecked" by SATA 6.0Gb/s at the moment, but who the hell needs more than 550MB/s anyway?

As for A/G-Sync meaning less frequent upgrades - Probably. Not having used a G-Sync monitor, I can't comment as to how fluid 30 FPS feels, but I'd imagine it'll impact sales a little. Still, there are lots of people upgrading from 780 Tis to 980s, so it might not be that bad.

Are PCIE SSds stuck to the same issue? I think large data wranglers, for movie sets need fast file transfer rates but I thought the pcie slots could give you a faster speed?

Sensationalist title.

All NVIDIA have done is not support A-Sync with their new line of GPUs, and prioritise G-Sync instead. Hardly surprising seeing as they invented it, pushed it forward, and sunk a tonne of money into it. They're a business at the end of the day.

Agreed the title is a bit red top. They are indeed a business, not a charity and the fact they ring fenced their own tech is understandable. G sync is available as of now and they deserve to make their return on it.

Given that Free-Sync monitors will not be available to buy at a reasonable price for at least another 9-12 months-giving them a very good head start-it just seems a bit cynical that they won't support DisplayPort 1.2a.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nvidia are some greedy bastards. Same old story. I'm not going to buy a bloody overpriced g-sync TN panel monitor.

Why disable av-sync for those using regular monitors?

I might just wait for amd's new gen of cards. I'd feel dirty buying an Nvidia card.

M.2 is the new connection for ssd's is it not? It uses the pcie lanes anyway afaik and has a cap of 1000mb/s.

M.2 is a bit all over the place as regards standard size, I think there are 4-5 different lengths up to 100mm AFAIK. A lot of the new mobo's have the M.2 slots between PCI-e slots, certain length(s) don't fit certain boards, it's a bit all over the place form what I see.

In other news, glynf has paid his tax bill-so it's up f**king grade season:D

Thinking about a 4790K & Maximus VII Formula in a Silverstone Ft05 case, sticking with 780's as no real benefit in upgrading to 980's.

Build a server just 'cause! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Could anyone recommend a cheap screwdriver set for pc building, preferable off ebay? The new cooler I bought needs a long handled screwdriver to reach down(will be taking out old p55 mobo and replacing with Z94 also). Thx

Maybe something like this set from Maplins? Should be long enough for most jobs on a PC, only thing its missing is a No.2 philips head. Shop around though, may save you on shipping if there's one near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

pah!, from what I've seen of Maplin in the past, they'll probably charge €50 for that. :D

I actually got a really nice set from Maplins (the only thing I've ever bought there).

This one, actually: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-12-in-1-pocket-precision-screwdriver-set-n46fb

Originally got it because I needed to remove a few tiny torx screws on a GPU, but it's actually a lovely set. Only paid around €8 for it, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I actually got a really nice set from Maplins (the only thing I've ever bought there).

This one, actually: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-12-in-1-pocket-precision-screwdriver-set-n46fb

Originally got it because I needed to remove a few tiny torx screws on a GPU, but it's actually a lovely set. Only paid around €8 for it, AFAIK.

I got a really nice 2.5 inch ssd / mechanical hard drive tray there for 15 quid but hard drives there are like €30.00 more expensive then pc world. :eek:

Yeah, Maplins can be hit and miss..I got a decent USB to 9 pin Serial for €35, a similar one from Radionics was €48.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Does anyone know where i would get an evga sr-2 in europe?

• Advertisement

Ebay, maybe?

Ebay, maybe?
    Checked only ones that show are in the us and have 200 dollar import charges. You could buy the board new for 500 when it was on sale :(

deceit wrote: »
    Does anyone know where i would get an evga sr-2 in europe?

What about this one?

Not sure if you would pay duty on 2nd hand goods.

....though it could be marked 'return from repair'

Just as I'm vaguely considering things... Anyone have a 780 they're thinking of upgrading at any point? Had a look on Adverts there, and there don't seem to be any reference cards up.

glynf wrote: »
    What about this one?

Not sure if you would pay duty on 2nd hand goods.

....though it could be marked 'return from repair'

With ebay you now pay charges on the site I think. I already have two 5645 cpus and 96gb ram for it though so just need the board

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Would this be my best option for going raid 10? 4 drives at 455 euro would give me 6tb of fairly quick fairly safe storage? Also says they'd be shipped in 1-2 months but anywhere they're in stock its huge money for them..

I've this to work with on x79,
    Intel® X79 chipset :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black,
    Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
    ASMedia® ASM1061 controller :
    1 x Power eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), green
    1 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red,

I presume it'll just mean I'll put the 4 WD reds on the 3gb intel controller my two ssds on the 6gb and then the wd black on the marvell.

Or else I could wait for the WD red 6tb's to come down in price, currently about 40 euro too expensive per drive, but it would mean I could just raid 1 with them and eventually (really eventually) go to 4 6tb drives in raid 1+0 rather than just buying 4 lower cap. disks all at once.

The storage has to do me the next couple of years for pictures and video for work and college so redundancy is key but 500+ euro on storage just isn't an option :{.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, did anyone from here got 970 or 980 and can share their experience? I am thinking more and more about 970. Playing WoT in 3 screens is really fun, but 680 cant cut it. :(

Windows 8 Users Can Upgrade to Windows 9 For Free
    President of Microsoft Indonesia Andreas Diantoro has confirmed that Windows 8 users will get Windows 9 free-of-charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, but does it have Shadowcopy?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, but does it have Shadowcopy?
    I guess it will have the File History system in 8. I've never used Win 8 so I have no idea if this is a good thing or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement