Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

lertsnim wrote: »
    No problems here either but amazingly bank transfer is still the only payment method they are offering me. After the goings on of the last month they could offer items for half price and I still wouldn't touch them when there is no protection?

Yep, no PayPal, as they used to. Ordered something from them the order day, but they onl;y offered bank transfer. Still haven't cancelled it :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

When does that beta go live?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Headshot wrote: »
    When does that beta go live?

september 12th or 18th, 18th i think

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, can anyone drop me a link to a good seller and deal for Qnix on ebay? 1440p version that overclocks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Anyone else having issues with amazon deliveries taking extra week? No idea what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

raymix wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with amazon deliveries taking extra week? No idea what's going on.

Bought something there on Monday and arrived on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Lads, can anyone drop me a link to a good seller and deal for Qnix on ebay? 1440p version that overclocks?

I bought mine off Greensum store on ebay,there still going and have plenty of monitors.

http://stores.ebay.com/green-sum

The model that overclocks was originally the DVI-D only model but one of the lads here(Danger781) got a multi connection monitor(HDMI,DP etc)and his overclocked to roughly 100Hz as well so its not so clear cut,theres a good chance you could get either and still be able to overclock.

My experience with greensum was good,they responed quickly to email. That said ive never had a problem with my monitor so never had to go through returns with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Worth noting that the board inside mine died and he sent me a replacement. I had not tried OCing before that but I assume that wouldn't make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I am having serious issues with Windows Keys bought on Reddit the past month. Not from any one particular seller, but from several, some of which are mentioned frequently here.

Some will replace, some ignore, but I've found that a large number of Windows installs are coming up as key blocked a few weeks after activation.

I won't be offering Windows with my builds anymore as it's too unreliable and gives a very bad name to you as a seller.

Going forward I think we should be more careful before telling people to use Reddit for Windows keys as the last few weeks this has happened a number of times to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

That's a shame was looking forward to cheap windows for my next build. Can people not just upgrade to 10 through these keys and then be in the clear? I recommend anyone who's not been stung yet does so.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Wright wrote: »
    That's a shame was looking forward to cheap windows for my next build. Can people not just upgrade to 10 through these keys and then be in the clear? I recommend anyone who's not been stung yet does so.

I did that immediately after my recent build ~2 months ago, been ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So had the tower panels open for a whole 2 days while I sat in my boxers trying to understand linux. I eventually had to re-install the whole OS when I found out it didn't install via UEFI and so I couldn't dual-boot effectively... I was having to unplug the SSD that linux was installed to in order to be able to log into W7.

But now they're all on UEFI and it seems GRUB is detecting windows boot manager so I THINK I can boot into it from there easily when I need to game. if not I know that selecting windows boot in BIOS works too if it comes to that. I'm trying to stick to linux for as long as I can, though. Been ricing all day. Just got the W7-ish commands down. Window key + directions now send windows all over the place like I'm used to. Still can't get windows key to stand-alone bring up the application manager (start button) because I guess this distro doesn't think single keys count as 'shortcuts'. I'm sure I can figure that out some other time.

I absolutely love the multiple desktops. It's like tabs but for the whole computer. Feels great because now I can fullscreen my music player (clementine) and have a visual effect full-screened on my secondary monitor, then just change to another desktop for doing stuff instead of minimising or saying which window should be on top of what. It's to my understanding that this is pretty old feature, too. Why doesn't Windows have this?!

Oh well. Installed terraria and super hexagon. I'm not going near any 3D games until I can get lightboost working which seems to require an entirely separate computer with an nvidia GPU... and then some.

Anyone in the Leitrim area got a gaming laptop with Nvidia hardware that I could borrow? I really don't want to play Planetside 2 or pretty much any fast paced, modern 3D game without strobing... it just looks wrong to me now. Senses are spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Why doesn't Windows have this?!

You can get it with a program called DexPot
    Anyone in the Leitrim area got a gaming laptop with Nvidia hardware that I could borrow?

That may be a bridge too far for us, there aren't many laptops in Leitrim never mind gaming ones :p

That may be a bridge too far for us, there aren't many laptops in Leitrim never mind gaming ones :p

Don't remind me. It's surreal having such a strong internet connection and then seeing sheep if you walk 10 mins in any direction out of town. The lil computer store here's staff is always huffing when I walk in because they know I'm going to ask for some specific cable that they'll have to dig around for and only sell for pocket change when all they want to do is sell overpriced mobile speakers and printer ink. :pac:

I got another SATA cable from them which I needed but no display port cable. I have to have one now for my main display because connecting it with DVI eats up all the good ports and I don't have anymore left for the 3rd monitor which I usually plug into the motherboard and let the intel graphics take care of it... but that's not gonna cut it for linux because it doesn't seem to think you could possibly ever need 2 video drivers on at the same time. I actually spent a few hours on an IRC following some experts' terminal commands but all it did in the end was blackout all 3 displays and I had to re-install. Would be simpler to just use the 2 DVI ports for the secondary and tertiary, then have the main 120Hz in as display port since that also supports lightboost.
    You can get it with a program called DexPot

I have enough bloat on my windows installtion already, thanks. Besides all I'll be doing is gaming and streaming gaming on W7. Something that 3 monitors will have enough desktop real-estate to deal with efficiently.

Don't remind me. It's surreal having such a strong internet connection and then seeing sheep if you walk 10 mins in any direction out of town. The lil computer store here's staff is always huffing when I walk in because they know I'm going to ask for some specific cable that they'll have to dig around for and only sell for pocket change when all they want to do is sell overpriced mobile speakers and printer ink. :pac:

AFAIK that's the only Computer Shop in Leitrim actually, I don't think Manorhamilton has got one.

My front lawn is currently feeding two cows and two calves, never mind 'out of town'

That store is a bit of a rip tbh.

That store is a bit of a rip tbh.

So it is the one I'm talking about? I've only been in it once, to ask for a job :pac: I'm from a different place though

So it is the one I'm talking about? I've only been in it once, to ask for a job :pac: I'm from a different place though

Yeah it is. Asked for a job meself. They're definitely not hiring anytime soon. Seems family run. Place is literred with computers under repair. Cables and exposed circuit boards everywhere... I feel right at home when it's like that but unfortunately it's all crap-tier laptops that the locals bring in. Half the time they don't have what I ask for. I got pretty lucky with that SATA cable.

Will probably have to visit some other places that have electronic sections if I'm going to find a display port. dx has nothing but converters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

So I got a chance to try out ASUS's 144Hz IPS G-Sync monitor recently.

It's really very nice. It was only a brief thing, but I wandered around the Witcher 3 at 40FPS, and while it didn't feel like 60, it did still feel smooth. I could tell when the game went back to 60, but 40 didn't feel "bad" like it traditionally does, it just felt a little less smooth.

On the other end, I tried GTA V at around 90FPS, which again, felt smoother than 60. I don't know if I want to invest in G-Sync, given how much adaptive sync is being adopted by everyone else, but I will definitely be keeping and eye on things. I'm still interested to see what "other features" NVIDIA can unlock with the G-Sync FPGA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

just ordered a Samsung evo 250 gb SSD for a 4 year old laptop will see it brings a bit of life back into the machine, if not i ll find somewhere else for it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads iv just bought METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN and im shocked. Why is only 2.9gb download? I thought the preload would be hell of alot higher than that

edit

never mind I read this http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/metal-gear-solid-v-on-pc-is-a-28gb-download-even-if-you-buy-it-on-disc-734265

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Lads iv just bought METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN and im shocked. Why is only 2.9gb download? I thought the preload would be hell of alot higher than that

edit

never mind I read this http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/metal-gear-solid-v-on-pc-is-a-28gb-download-even-if-you-buy-it-on-disc-734265

Speaking of this, how much do you think I could sell key for this for my friend gets free with gtx 970?

(assume its steam key)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

edit

How are you even able to preload it? Steam says it doesn't unlock until ~5pm
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Speaking of this, how much do you think I could sell key for this for my friend gets free with gtx 970?

(assume its steam key)

You should get around €40 easily enough. €59.99 on steam (pre-order with bonus content), ~51 on cdkey sites.

I think it may be time to update my PC.. :pac:

Q9eYGH7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

any one got a recommendation for a set of head phones sub €50.00 that are any way decent was looking at the platonics 788s 7.1 any opinions im on a shoe string :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

any one got a recommendation for a set of head phones sub €50.00 that are any way decent was looking at the platonics 788s 7.1 any opinions im on a shoe string :/

If it's just headphones then I suggest the Superlux HD 668B and Beyerdynamic replacement pads. :)

http://www.thomann.de/ie/superlux_hd668_b.htm
    &
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/beyerdynamic_dt770_ohrpolster.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

+1^ Probably the best 30 quid I've spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Agree, have those headphones a few years now, they're great. Definitely make sure you get the velour pads if you end up buying them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I am having serious issues with Windows Keys bought on Reddit the past month. Not from any one particular seller, but from several, some of which are mentioned frequently here.

Some will replace, some ignore, but I've found that a large number of Windows installs are coming up as key blocked a few weeks after activation.

I won't be offering Windows with my builds anymore as it's too unreliable and gives a very bad name to you as a seller.

Going forward I think we should be more careful before telling people to use Reddit for Windows keys as the last few weeks this has happened a number of times to me.

I've bought a good few down the years and no problems.

Not surprised if there are a few chancers in the mix now with Windows 10, where people with pirated copies flooded to get legit keys to get the free upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've bought a good few down the years and no problems.

Not surprised if there are a few chancers in the mix now with Windows 10, where people with pirated copies flooded to get legit keys to get the free upgrade.

Is there anyway to check a key before going throught the hassle of a clean install or updating a product key and then finding out in a months time its not genuine ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement