Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Tell them the retailer you bought from doesn't exist anymore which is true. The current HWVS is not the one you bought from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads I'm looking to get a gaming headset. I'm wondering if I should just buy a mic to stick to my sennheiser momentum over ears or if there's a gaming headset you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

superg wrote: »
    Tell them the retailer you bought from doesn't exist anymore which is true. The current HWVS is not the one you bought from.

Will that fly though?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gumbi wrote: »
    Will that fly though?

Its the truth .... and they are ultimately responsible for their hardware.

Its the truth .... and they are ultimately responsible for their hardware.

I know it's the truth, what I'm asking is, will that fly with them? I just want it to be as painless as possible. I can foresee a back and forth with someone who's using a language not native to them with days between correspondence :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't envy you, crappy situation. Could you use a gpu fan connector to 3pin fan adaptor for the card? Assuming the actual connector still works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Lads I'm looking to get a gaming headset. I'm wondering if I should just buy a mic to stick to my sennheiser momentum over ears or if there's a gaming headset you'd recommend?

I just bought a cheap Chinese one recently, works perfectly. Has blue LED's as well which match my blue LED case lights. Don't ask me for a link as I forget where I ordered it from as it took at least a month to get here. It was pretty damn cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I know it's the truth, what I'm asking is, will that fly with them? I just want it to be as painless as possible. I can foresee a back and forth with someone who's using a language not native to them with days between correspondence :/

Yes, can see that happening ...... it is a judgement call whether it is worth the hassle to you or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Below is the cheap chinese one I got. Took about a month to get here though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Blue-G2000-Wired-Stereo-Gaming-Game-Headset-Headphone-Headband-For-PC-Laptop-/191625314566?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Don't envy you, crappy situation. Could you use a gpu fan connector to 3pin fan adaptor for the card? Assuming the actual connector still works fine.

What it is is a mini PWM connector. I actually bought a mini PWM 1 ---> adapter from moddiy, and hooked it up to the working header on my GPU, but it doesn't provide enough power. I now run my GPU at 100% fan speed all the time now, which is equivalent to 2.1kRPM (about 50% fan speed of what it should be).

It's funny, the header was enough to power 2 fans at 4.2k~ but when I connect the third via the 2 to 1 adapter it drops to 2.1k~.

Honestly this is absolutely fine for normal use, but it irks me having a card that's not how it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

-Edit- Scratch that. I overlooked that you had good pair of headphones already. Maybe just get a sound card or DAC and mod mic instead.

It depends on your budget. The majority of gaming headsets are crap.

The HyperX Cloud 1 or 2 are getting a lot of good reviews though. If you have a good sound card or DAC get the Hyper X 1, if not get the 2.

I was going to get the 2 but decided to grab a sound card or dac and the 1's instead.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-Mobile/dp/B00JJNQG98/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442156907&sr=8-1&keywords=hyper+x+cloud

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-Mobile/dp/B00SAYCVTQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1442156907&sr=8-4&keywords=hyper+x+cloud

Now the question is what is better? A decent sound card or dac for gaming and music etc. Budget under €100.

I was looking at the creative sound blaster Z or ASus Xonar DX vs something like Asus Xonar U5 or U7 external DAC + AMP.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Has anyone RMA'd anything with Mindfactory? I bought a Gigabyte 390 with them that won't let me put my PC to sleep, it just wakes up immediately. Apparently it's a known issue with the card.

I've had a look at the process and it seems I would pay return postage, which is fine, and that I can ask for a replacement or 'credit'. It could just be a Google Translate mistake (Although I've translated refund and it's a different word; Gutschrift vs Rückerstattung) but does anyone know if that's a refund, or shop credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Got it from used stock. I usually avoid Dabs used stock as they don't bother testing anything, the amount of DOA stuff I've gotten that way is just unbelievable. b-grade cards that fail to boot, b-grade ram that won't boot, etc. It's like they just get faulty returns and lob them onto the b-grade market and hope for the best.

But this one I just couldn't pass up, didn't want to jinx it by boasting too early but at this price it was 110% worth the gamble. The reason for b-grade? It said 'item has one dead pixel'. I got a monitor that way before and it actually took a bit of effort to even find the dead pixel so if this is like that, I'm happy.

Not sure which is the better find, this, or the time I got a random PSU off a guy on donedeal for €10, and when he delivered it it was a Galaxy Enermax 1000w modular.

362172.jpg

Holy crap that is an amazing deal if all that is wrong with it is 1 dead pixel that you won't even be able to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Brilliant find TerrorFirmer, good luck with it. A single dead pixel is nothing at that res.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Got an email to say it's been dispatched this morning, so I'll update when it arrives! :)

Just looking at a few more crackpot-priced PC's on adverts this morning. Best one is a first gen i7 and a HD6670 for the bargain price for €1750. About two posts down is someone selling a PC with an 8350 and a GTX970 for an entire 1K less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Got an email to say it's been dispatched this morning, so I'll update when it arrives! :)

Just looking at a few more crackpot-priced PC's on adverts this morning. Best one is a first gen i7 and a HD6670 for the bargain price for €1750. About two posts down is someone selling a PC with an 8350 and a GTX970 for an entire 1K less.
    Some one should ask him to post some benchmarks!

Trying to organise an RMA through Sapphire ticketting system. It's painful. Response time is decent but as they are ahead of us, I now won't get a response til tomorrow and we have made no progress; all I have been told is to make sure the IFC switch is on.

And I have to repeat myself that I know how it works, and that whether IFC is on OR off only the central fan spins no matter the temp of the card...

Does anyone have any tips for speeding this up? Maybe putting me in contact with a Sapphire rep on a forum so we can discuss this in our native tongues and complete this process as smoothly and efficiently as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Trying to organise an RMA through Sapphire ticketting system.

This is why I buy things on Amazon even if there is a premium on top vs competitors. I had Sapphire 7950s in XFire and one of the fans stopped working on the bottom card. They agreed to return the card for full price.

I then explained that I bought them as a pair and having one without the other wasn't ideal - so Amazon returned both cards for a full refund 18 months after I initially bought them.

I almost felt bad - But because of what happened I have since bought nearly all of my upgrades off them.

Danger781 wrote: »
    This is why I buy things on Amazon even if there is a premium on top vs competitors. I had Sapphire 7950s in XFire and one of the fans stopped working on the bottom card. They agreed to return the card for full price.

I then explained that I bought them as a pair and having one without the other wasn't ideal - so Amazon returned both cards for a full refund 18 months after I initially bought them.

I almost felt bad - But because of what happened I have since bought nearly all of my upgrades off them.

Amazon are amazing no doubt.

Sapphire are now telling me to RMA through my retailer. F*ck off. Just told them my retailer has gone into receivership. They better come through here.

Gumbi, have you tried searching hardforum or overclock.net for a US/UK Sapphire rep? I got talking to a Silverstone sales guy who sorted an issue for me with a dodgy HDD mount before.

Worth a try as some manufacturers have a presence on the bigger sites..

• Advertisement

I'll pursue that route mpre extensively. Tried one rep on a site, but didn't expect much as he had been offline for month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Here is a Pr rep for sapphire that might be able to put you in with someone in the UK.
    http://www.overclock.net/u/367722/vaporx

I'd actually see if you can get a contact in sapphire via the AMD rep on Ocuk.
    He is very helpful from what i've seen of him.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/member.php?u=62007

I had dealings with sapphire on their forums a few years ago.It was a painful experience.So much so i would't buy their products unless from the like of Amazon or a good retailer that will deal directly with the customer.

game4it70 wrote: »
    Here is a Pr rep for sapphire that might be able to put you in with someone in the UK.
    http://www.overclock.net/u/367722/vaporx

I'd actually see if you can get a contact in sapphire via the AMD rep on Ocuk.
    He is very helpful from what i've seen of him.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/member.php?u=62007

I had dealings with sapphire on their forums a few years ago.It was a painful experience.So much so i would't buy their products unless from the like of Amazon or a good retailer that will deal directly with the customer.
    I've already messaged the first guy. I'll try the one on ocuk, thanks!

If anyone has a 290(x) Vapor X, message me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

If anyone has a 290(x) Vapor X, message me :)

is card fubared? Or sapphire not willing to do anything for you?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    is card fubared? Or sapphire not willing to do anything for you?

No, they are just slow af and am considering a swap for someone here. The card functions fine, just a fan issue. I currently using an adapter but I have to set fans at 100% which is equivalent to about 50% fan speed.

Absolutely perfect for normal use, it just bothers me when it's not how it should be.

One of the fan headers is blown basically.

I'm still pursuing the RMA in the mean time. I wouldn't want a 390 in the RMA you see as I consider the Vapor X superior to the Nitro 390. So a 290(x) VaporX wouod be prefereable :)

I'm currently RMA'ing a second EVGA card with a noisy fan, the replacement card was as bad as the one they replaced :(

At least they're decent to deal with and easy to contact. Had grief years ago with Gigabyte, took 3+ weeks to start the damn RMA, never again..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

glynf wrote: »
    Brilliant find TerrorFirmer, good luck with it. A single dead pixel is nothing at that res.

cracking deal alright!

fingers crossed that its just a stuck pixel too, rather then an out and out dead one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

glynf wrote: »
    I'm currently RMA'ing a second EVGA card with a noisy fan, the replacement card was as bad as the one they replaced :(

At least they're decent to deal with and easy to contact. Had grief years ago with Gigabyte, took 3+ weeks to start the damn RMA, never again..

Never dealt with them myself but they seem to have some seriously good support processes from what I've seen online. Its rare to see a overwhelming amount of good stories about RMA's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭N64

Never dealt with them myself but they seem to have some seriously good support processes from what I've seen online. Its rare to see a overwhelming amount of good stories about RMA's.

Along with that, they have excellent phone tech support. 24/7 available with native English speaking reps who actually understand what they are talking about versus going off of a checklist :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement