Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Finally pulled the trigger on that 1070. iChill x3 goodness should be dispatched soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Constant lock ups and freezing, couldn't open more than 3-4 programs, PC wouldn't shut down, wouldn't sign out, task manager no help, programs not opening at all

Think my OS drive had about 15% free, like 20gb

Sounds more like your SSD is having issues TBH.

I've had Win 10 across multiple PC's and laptops, all fully updated, with SSD's and 2 without - never any issues. Of course, me or anyone else not having issues doesnt mean there aren't any specific issues related to your hardware setup, but to me I'd swap the SSD out for another one, and try again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

SSD's have really poor performance when almost full, are you sure that's not what you are seeing? if it is, that's nothing to do with windows 10

mossym wrote: »
    SSD's have really poor performance when almost full, are you sure that's not what you are seeing? if it is, that's nothing to do with windows 10

That isn't limited to SSDs. Friend's laptop slowed to a crawl when HDD was nearly full also. My first thought was HDD failure, but a bit of googling and then deleting later had the thing back up and running.

When space starts running out, Windows attempts to compress as much as it can. This uses up pretty much all the HDD resources. You will see a process for it in the Task Manager.

capture-png.1590

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Links I've posted specifically mention the anniversary update on SSDs, it's not just me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That isn't limited to SSDs. Friend's laptop slowed to a crawl when HDD was nearly full also. My first thought was HDD failure, but a bit of googling and then deleting later had the thing back up and running.

When space starts running out, Windows attempts to compress as much as it can. This uses up pretty much all the HDD resources. You will see a process for it in the Task Manager.

the mechanism that slows down ssd's as they fill is particular to how they write data, so it applies in any OS, or under any use, it's not the same on magnetic discs, so the problem i was talking about is limited to SSD's.

but that's not saying there aren't other issues in windows as it fills that applies to both, as you pointed out, but as the problem was being linked to SSD's it didn't seem to be a generic windows issue that applies to both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I've about 9% free on my M2 ssd and I've had no issues. I'm on the anniversary version too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

superg wrote: »
    I've about 9% free on my M2 ssd and I've had no issues. I'm on the anniversary version too.

9% is vague though.
    9% of a <60GB drive is far less available space than 9% of a >200GB drive.

SickBoy wrote: »
    9% is vague though.
    9% of a <60GB drive is far less available space than 9% of a >200GB drive.

True, its a 256Gb drive (237GB usable). I had it even more rammed than that though, red bar icon and what not, still no problems. My pc is set up like the article says, OS on one drive most of my apps and data on other drives.

Got the 1070 yesterday. Tis a beauty. Screen can now reach 144Hz or 165Hz and fps is through the roof on overwatch and rocket league at least :D Trying to decide the best trade offs on fps vs quality are my only concerns now :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Got the 1070 yesterday. Tis a beauty. Screen can now reach 144Hz or 165Hz and fps is through the roof on overwatch and rocket league at least :D Trying to decide the best trade offs on fps vs quality are my only concerns now :D

What CPU do you have?

i5 3570K, not overclocked at the moment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah... I have some serious issues I cannot figure out at the mo. Get about 100fps completely maxed out with a 4690k. BF1 is a stuttery mess. I'll have to dig into it more when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah... I have some serious issues I cannot figure out at the mo. Get about 100fps completely maxed out with a 4690k. BF1 is a stuttery mess. I'll have to dig into it more when I get home.

Had very similar issue in the beta,3570k @ 4.3GHz and a 1080. Framerates are high according to fraps yet there was a lot of stutter.

Just to add,i bought it on PS4 in the end as my mates play there so never got it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Turn on V-Sync. I have a GTX1080 and I get terrible stutter at higher frame rates, it's unplayable, locked at 60 it's rock solid and zero stutter.

Sucks that I can't enjoy the game at 144hz as planned, but I've settled for 60 with the resolution scale ramped up to 150% @ 1440P ultra instead.

So then I have a PC to sell and much like Terrorfirmer advised earlier in this thread, its proving to be a tough sell! I'm wondering if its worth my while to spend a few quid to turn it into something more desirable and get my money back and then some. If I stuck an i3 and a 1050/1050ti what would it be worth? The case and psu cost me a fair whack when I built it due to their form factor which is why I'm reluctant to let it go mad cheap.

Current specs:-

Intel Pentium 3.3Ghz dual core G3260
    Zalman CNPS8900 Low profile cpu cooler
    Silverstone Raven RVZ01 case
    Silverstone Gold rated 450w SFX PSU
    MSI H97I ITX Motherboard with onboard wifi and Bluetooth. Socket 1150.
    8GB Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz ram
    64GB Sandisk SSD and 640Gb WD Black HDD

Any opinions welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah, eu, will be eu. Overclockers have 1050 and 1050ti listed. Cheapest one 115£ and some of them going as high as 170£!

I love what they did and those are really cool low end cards, but jaysus, when it hits our shores price is very high, even with pound being so low.
    RX 460 can be gotten below 100£ now.

Any sign of mobile versions? If they keep that performance, then decent low level gaming laptop could not be such an expensive toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think the pricing is pretty good, £115 is about €140 with Irish VAT which is pretty good for a GTX1050. The RX460 is £15 cheaper for the basic models but it's also way slower. Also quite excited to see mobile variant, will be a massive leap over GTX950/960M cards and hopefully won't be a ridiculous price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

superg wrote: »
    So then I have a PC to sell and much like Terrorfirmer advised earlier in this thread, its proving to be a tough sell! I'm wondering if its worth my while to spend a few quid to turn it into something more desirable and get my money back and then some. If I stuck an i3 and a 1050/1050ti what would it be worth? The case and psu cost me a fair whack when I built it due to their form factor which is why I'm reluctant to let it go mad cheap.

Current specs:-

Intel Pentium 3.3Ghz dual core G3260
    Zalman CNPS8900 Low profile cpu cooler
    Silverstone Raven RVZ01 case
    Silverstone Gold rated 450w SFX PSU
    MSI H97I ITX Motherboard with onboard wifi and Bluetooth. Socket 1150.
    8GB Kingston Hyper X 1600Mhz ram
    64GB Sandisk SSD and 640Gb WD Black HDD

Any opinions welcome.

If its not selling, its not priced right. Market decides the price, not you. Plus, it is really low spec cpu.

• Advertisement

If its not selling, its not priced right. Market decides the price, not you. Plus, it is really low spec cpu.

All true which is why I'm thinking of speccing it up and making it a gaming pc and then sell it. Just not sure if it's madness to spend money to try make some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Turn on V-Sync. I have a GTX1080 and I get terrible stutter at higher frame rates, it's unplayable, locked at 60 it's rock solid and zero stutter.

Sucks that I can't enjoy the game at 144hz as planned, but I've settled for 60 with the resolution scale ramped up to 150% @ 1440P ultra instead.

Strange, I'm seeing no stutter whatsoever. Very smooth in both campaign and multiplayer. G-sync, 1440p/144Hz, 970 SLI, 3770K. Your rig should be just eating it for breakfast. Was having horrible problems when I entered vehicles or tried to use emplacement guns, but disabling Origin in-game cured it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

It seems EVGA pulled a Samsung with their GTX 1080 and 1070 ACX based cards which have a tendency to catch fire!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/56ydth/evga_gtx_1080_ftw_caught_on_fire/?st=iuv9jy7g&sh=b8f5837b

http://forums.evga.com/badHOT-PCB-Layout-on-GTX-1070-FTW-m2565921.aspx

EVGA have acknowledged the issue and offer thermal pad kits or the option to send the card back for a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I've a ftw 1080, hopefully no fires here

Any idea when we will start seeing a 1050 in laptops? 940-960 laptops just don't feel like a good way to go considering laptop gpus catching up on desktop versions. And 1060 I'm Europe just way too high.

I sow today in soundstore 11-13inch laptops amd they are so cool. A 13inch 1050 laptop would be q lovely bedroom toy, gigidi.

Guys, can you buy physical amazon vouchers for Ireland?

Misses asked what I wanted for Xmas and I just asked for pc world vouchers, would just use to buy some SSD or mechanical keyboard, but **** prices are mad. SanDisk 480 SSD in pc world 169eu and on amazon 115eu!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Misses asked what I wanted for Xmas and I just asked for pc world vouchers, would just use to buy some SSD or mechanical keyboard, but **** prices are mad. SanDisk 480 SSD in pc world 169eu and on amazon 115eu!

Why don't you just ask her for money in a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm pretty sure you can, I've got them for christmas before. It looks like you can buy them on amazon with free delivery(presume that applies to Ireland too) here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Ordered an ok looking seat online For about €200.00 got this instead. I'd already signed for it so there's nothing I could do such a shame :pac::D

400431.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

looks decent to me. whats wrong with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

vlad2009 wrote: »
    looks decent to me. whats wrong with it?

He's being sarcastic, he got a premium €350+ chair instead by mistake the lucky fecker :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Oh ****, thats class!

Was just offered a 4790K and an Asus ROG Maximus VIII for €450. May be a little bit of wiggle room though,im thinkin a compromise could be reached at about €400-420.

My plan was to wait for Kaby Lake but i am tempted,id sell my 3570K and Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 for about €200ish looking at prices online.

Ill most likely wait but im getting a pain in the a**e with the 3570K holding back a GTX 1080 when im looking for 100Hz at 1440p. Its mostly the big frame drops that are the problem,going down to 60-70fps then back to 100 can be jarring to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

EoinHef wrote: »
    Was just offered a 4790K and an Asus ROG Maximus VIII for €450. May be a little bit of wiggle room though,im thinkin a compromise could be reached at about €400-420.

My plan was to wait for Kaby Lake but i am tempted,id sell my 3570K and Asrock Extreme 4 Z77 for about €200ish looking at prices online.

Ill most likely wait but im getting a pain in the a**e with the 3570K holding back a GTX 1080 when im looking for 100Hz at 1440p. Its mostly the big frame drops that are the problem,going down to 60-70fps then back to 100 can be jarring to say the least.

You could get 6700k with motherboard for that, or close enough. Dont buy this ROG stuff, they are the same motherboards as any other, just have more plastic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Agreed. If you're gonna go nuts on a motherboard, might as well spring for a WS or something.

Ye ill most likely wait,ive never bought or recomended any high end boards either,im guess im just getting impatient with my current setup.

Ive seen some leaks regarding kaby lake but no firm release window,anybody know if there is one?

Honestly I'm kinda in the same boat. I'd like to upgrade to something, but there really isn't much there.

Got a 1070, and that does grand with everything at 1080p. Could look at a G-Sync/4K/ultrawide, but I'm not spending €1K on a monitor with OLED a year or two out.

Processors have basically stagnated, and since I got my 4790K for €250, there's nothing that's remotely worth getting price-wise. Maybe Zen will change this.

Think thats where my impatience is coming from,not seeing many worthwhile options for upgrade so im starting look at the not so worthwhile ones,which is obviously a bad idea.

Id love to see zen come out and be awesome,quad core with their version of HT'ing for about €200-230 with a per core performance similar to skylake would be pretty sweet. We can hope/dream anyway.

The 3570K has been very good to me but its holding back the 1080 when looking for 100Hz at 1440p more often than id like.

I'm not overclocking, and the 3570K been pretty stable for me paired with the 1070. I do have a G-Sync monitor though so that might be masking any issues.

Its stable if i limit it to 60fps or so but when going for 100 the drops can make it pretty jarring.

Have you tried OCing it to see if that helps? Might as well. If you want to upgrade but there's nothing worth it, seems like overclocking would be the ideal solution.

• Advertisement

Been at 4.3Ghz since the week i bought it,anything more is looking for over 1.3v which im not really comfortable with.

Just as an example of what i mean,in GTAV driving a car through the city every core is pegged at 99% usage (Using Afterburner overlay to check) with the framerate varying pretty wildly at points. 60fps lock removes this but im obviously not getting the most from monitor as it will do 100Hz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Been at 4.3Ghz since the week i bought it,anything more is looking for over 1.3v which im not really comfortable with.

Just as an example of what i mean,in GTAV driving a car through the city every core is pegged at 99% usage (Using Afterburner overlay to check) with the framerate varying pretty wildly at points. 60fps lock removes this but im obviously not getting the most from monitor as it will do 100Hz
    Could be the game engine itself.

If you're set on upgrading though, get an i7 instead of i5.

Got a nice surprise when upgrading my cpu/mobo last night.

The closed loop cooler master water cooler I had on my LGA 775 socket fited the 1150 socket on the new mobo.

Score!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Studio Monitors lads, are they worth a punt? Or better off sticking with 'ol Logitech 5.1 speakers from years back..?

My bad. Thought Xenoronin's comment was yours. You're doing pretty well with that chip so. Pretty sure mine only got to around 4.2 with those sorts of volts.

I guess you could look at a CPU upgrade then... It's just so boring. Haven't looked at benchmarks or anything, but would X99 do much? Dunno how well threaded GTA is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shlippery wrote: »
    Studio Monitors lads, are they worth a punt? Or better off sticking with 'ol Logitech 5.1 speakers from years back..?

Studio monitors are great if you want to listen to / edit music.

For gaming - they're ok.

Serephucus wrote: »
    My bad. Thought Xenoronin's comment was yours. You're doing pretty well with that chip so. Pretty sure mine only got to around 4.2 with those sorts of volts.

I guess you could look at a CPU upgrade then... It's just so boring. Haven't looked at benchmarks or anything, but would X99 do much? Dunno how well threaded GTA is.

It seems to be better threaded than your average title from what i see and from looking at benches x99 would help there for sure but at the same time i think that may be slightly out of reach price wise.

What would you be looking at for board,cpu and ram? Its not a chipset ive looked into at all really.

I had my heart set on kaby lake (7700K)and was happy with that decision at the time but ive just got that itch now and im finding it a bit harder to resist making what is most likely a bad purchase:(

I know deep down i should just wait...

It seems to be better threaded than your average title from what i see and from looking at benches x99 would help there for sure but at the same time i think that may be slightly out of reach price wise.

What would you be looking at for board,cpu and ram? Its not a chipset ive looked into at all really.

I had my heart set on kaby lake (7700K)and was happy with that decision at the time but ive just got that itch now and im finding it a bit harder to resist making what is most likely a bad purchase:(

I know deep down i should just wait...

One way or another 420-450eu for that combo is just way too much. Expensive motherboards have **** all value second hand.
    If you got itch now, get 6600k + mobo and fast ram and you will be spending pretty much samish money, but you will get fresher new cpu.
    As you know, other option is to wait, but it's hard to wait when you don't have solid date. I want to upgrade my good old 2500k and I will just wait for amd and kaby lake fight it out.
    Ots just ****y time for cpu upgrade. New interesting things coming out soon, but not soon enough.

Out of interest, have you tried putting GTA on an SSD? Maybe it's asset loading or something? (I doubt it, but hey, would be an excuse to invest in a 1TB SSD as a games drive, might help scratch itch)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Said I'd start sleeving today, done the pump and started playing Fifa lol.. It's never ending!

IMG_2034.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement