Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Serephucus wrote: »
    Out of interest, have you tried putting GTA on an SSD? Maybe it's asset loading or something? (I doubt it, but hey, would be an excuse to invest in a 1TB SSD as a games drive, might help scratch itch)

Its just on a standard 7200rpm HDD,i had it installed on an SSD but i was running a 970 at the time so settings were paired back and i just locked it to 60Hz as the 970 wasnt really capable of much more at 1440p.

Ive been keeping a close eye on the bargain thread the last while for a 1TB ssd but my current financial comitments have meant ive been kinda postponing it and pushing it back thinking i may just pick everything up at the same time. Its something i could move forward though. Ive a few games on an ssd in my current setup so may just try move a few bits around and get GTA on there instead and try it with the 1080.

Ive tried a few of the usual tricks,using NCP for various stuff,CPU priority to high,SSD etc but i keep just comimg back to the thinking its the CPU as its just run out of legs in the case of GTA,in fairness i feel im asking a lot of a relatively old CPU in fairly intensive game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Said I'd start sleeving today, done the pump and started playing Fifa lol.. It's never ending!

Oooh, very nice! Looking forward to seeing glamour shots of the finished build!
    EoinHef wrote: »
    Its just on a standard 7200rpm HDD,i had it installed on an SSD but i was running a 970 at the time so settings were paired back and i just locked it to 60Hz as the 970 wasnt really capable of much more at 1440p.

Ive been keeping a close eye on the bargain thread the last while for a 1TB ssd but my current financial comitments have meant ive been kinda postponing it and pushing it back thinking i may just pick everything up at the same time. Its something i could move forward though. Ive a few games on an ssd in my current setup so may just try move a few bits around and get GTA on there instead and try it with the 1080.

Ive tried a few of the usual tricks,using NCP for various stuff,CPU priority to high,SSD etc but i keep just comimg back to the thinking its the CPU as its just run out of legs in the case of GTA,in fairness i feel im asking a lot of a relatively old CPU in fairly intensive game.

It probably is the CPU, to be fair, I'm just suggesting long-shot stuff that doesn't require money.

And yeah, your CPU might be old, but is Skylake or whatever really that much better? We're talking maybe a 20% IPC boost at most, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Serephucus wrote: »
    Oooh, very nice! Looking forward to seeing glamour shots of the finished build!

It probably is the CPU, to be fair, I'm just suggesting long-shot stuff that doesn't require money.

And yeah, your CPU might be old, but is Skylake or whatever really that much better? We're talking maybe a 20% IPC boost at most, surely.

Yup i reckon thats about it. Ive seen a bit of evidence to suggest DDR4 has brought improvements in certain titles too so i guess that helps as well.

If they squeeze another 5% from kaby and hopefully higher clock speeds than i currently have too startin to get to a point where it makes sense to upgrade i think but dammed if im not tempted just to grab something now because im getting impatient. Ive other improvements planned too so its kinda all on hold till i decide about the CPU.

@KO Kiki Thats the plan,an i7 will be next cpu barring zen/amd releasing something extraordinary. Just getting impatient waiting on kaby lake

Interesting thing just hitting the news:

Fractal Design Define C
    Sdo7S4O.jpg

TTL Review:

Looks like a really nice case. I've been wanting a simple, compact case that I could fit 2x280mm rads in for a while. Not as nice aesthetically as Phanteks' stuff though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Said I'd start sleeving today, done the pump and started playing Fifa lol.. It's never ending!

I looked at sleeves for my build and they were a saucy price - where are you getting yours out of interest?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I looked at sleeves for my build and they were a saucy price - where are you getting yours out of interest?!

Contacted Nils @ MDPC-X, my invoice came to around 170 euro inc. delivery. Now about 50-60 of that was on a new crimpers and atx tool as mine somehow vanished.

Around 22euros per 33 meters of sleeve, I got 99 meters in total, 3 different colours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

If your looking to do it on the cheap with decent quality sleeving check out Ebay maybe.

I remember buying from modpcuk on there, great selection and good quality too. You can mail them if looking for large quantities and they can sort you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Thanks lads - I ended up being able to hide almost all the wires except the auxiliary power to the graphics card - so I probably won't buy sleeves now but I'll keep those two in mind!

Thanks lads - I ended up being able to hide almost all the wires except the auxiliary power to the graphics card - so I probably won't buy sleeves now but I'll keep those two in mind!

If you're not too bothered then just buy extensions. They are far more cheaper and basically give the same look, I've a black and white sleeved set here that I used on previous build and never had issues.

You can buy them pre made or make your own easily as you can buy the individual pack of sleeved wires, you just pop them into a connector. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah... I have some serious issues I cannot figure out at the mo. Get about 100fps completely maxed out with a 4690k. BF1 is a stuttery mess. I'll have to dig into it more when I get home.

I found the problem. Unstable RAM, the bios had enabled XMP profile (though my RAM supports it) that caused RAM latency stuttering. Really don't know the specifics but its sorted and I'm getting 130-150fps in BF1 again (minus AO, blur).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Awesome :D I have a feeling there might be some shenanigans with my RAM also. How did you find out about the latency stuttering?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Trial and error really. I turned switched settings little by little (overclocking, overvolting and speed step settings etc) until I switched off XMP. Was all sorted then.

I used afterburner to determine the latency wasn't GPU bound so I assumed either CPU or RAM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Gentlefolks, didn't want to start a thread for this, just wanted some quick opinions.
    Wondering if I should upgrade the ole gfx card, baring in mind that I game at 1080p currently.
    Personally weighing up 3 options
    1) Get a 1070 and continue at the 1080 res for the time being
    2) Get the 1080p 240Hz Monitor Asus(?) are releasing?
    3) Upgrade my audio set up (totally unrelated, but I can only direct my funds in one direction currently)

This is what I have currently, the card being a 290 Tri-x OC
    e9Im56q.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

marko93 wrote: »
    Gentlefolks, didn't want to start a thread for this, just wanted some quick opinions.
    Wondering if I should upgrade the ole gfx card, baring in mind that I game at 1080p currently.
    Personally weighing up 3 options
    1) Get a 1070 and continue at the 1080 res for the time being
    2) Get the 1080p 240Hz Monitor Asus(?) are releasing?
    3) Upgrade my audio set up (totally unrelated, but I can only direct my funds in one direction currently)

This is what I have currently, the card being a 290 Tri-x OC
    e9Im56q.png

A 1070 is a bit of a waste for 1080p, would you not get a 480 instead, cheaper and better suited to 1080p.
    XFX 480 GTR gets very good reviews and is a bit of a beast of a card.

Redfox25 wrote: »
    A 1070 is a bit of a waste for 1080p, would you not get a 480 instead, cheaper and better suited to 1080p.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I did plan to go 1440, it's just a case of when the funds would be available :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Redfox25 wrote: »

I kiiiind of disagree.

100fps+ is great :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Tbh it is pointless upgrading to a 480 from a 290. Both are the same performance wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The only really worthwhile upgrade to a 290 is really a GTX1070 really, everything else is just an incremental improvement. Only worth it though if you're aiming at a 144hz 1080p monitor, at standard 1080p 60hz, it would be a total waste. R9 290's are only fetching around 150-200 now second hand, so you'd be slapping down a fair bit of cash to upgrade.

I'd probably prefer to go with a 144hz 1080p monitor, or 1440p 144hz if you prefer, and make do with the R9 290 for another while while enjoying a new monitor, then think about a new card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

whats the idea with some mousemats being treated as dangerous good? by amazon (in the same category as batteries)? I bought a steelseries qck+ last february with no problem and now suddenly it's too hazardous to send another to ireland..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Kid wants a gaming entry PC for xmas so if anyone selling in the near future could they post here :)

or if someone knows a website that sells reasonable pcs for around the 400 mark.

Have monitor KB and Mouse and a ****load of ex parts (4870/6870/7870 HDs etc)

I would have checked hardwaresand previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No reasonable PCs around that, can't you build?

No reasonable PCs around that, can't you build?

Yes, I have an i5 2500K plus mobo and ram plus the above.

I will most likely end out doing that but if the option of a pre built one came up I would take it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Yes, I have an i5 2500K plus mobo and ram plus the above.

I will most likely end out doing that but if the option of a pre built one came up I would take it.

You have a good CPU, GPU, motherboard and ram. Just buy a case, power supply, ssd, hard drive and monitor with the 400 euro and slap it all together for a pretty kick ass PC.

You have a good CPU, GPU, motherboard and ram. Just buy a case, power supply, ssd, hard drive and monitor with the 400 euro and slap it all together for a pretty kick ass PC.

Laziness!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Black Friday deals thread??

Will there be a BF deals thread for good savings here? Just putting that out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So 1050ti mobile gpu benchmarks leaked. Looks freaking amazing. If you could get a laptop for around 1k with 1050ti, then gaming laptops would be kind of affordable toys.

Would love some 13inch 1050ti laptop as a secondary machine in the house.

Still no solid date, but everyone recommending to wait as 1050ti is 10% faster then 970M!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

So 1050ti mobile gpu benchmarks leaked. Looks freaking amazing. If you could get a laptop for around 1k with 1050ti, then gaming laptops would be kind of affordable toys.

Would love some 13inch 1050ti laptop as a secondary machine in the house.

Still no solid date, but everyone recommending to wait as 1050ti is 10% faster then 970M!!!

That's pretty insane performance. What are the power requirements/heat output like compared to the 970M? If it's a good bit less, than that would be a killer card for a laptop.

That's pretty insane performance. What are the power requirements/heat output like compared to the 970M? If it's a good bit less, than that would be a killer card for a laptop.

Thing is laptop 1050ti performs better then desktop version, which is just "mind blown".
    Performance is definitely nice, but I am just scared what they will do with pricing. If they will manage to make a laptop with such performance for 1k, then holy crap, sold! Shut up and take my money. But if they will do the whole nvidia: we charge as much as we want, because **** you, that's why, then it will be another missed opportunity.

1060 is a cracking card for laptops, but their price is a bit steep. I think cheapest one I sow was 1400£.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I need help.

I watched a viral video a few days ago, i think it was made by Corsair.

Basically its a parody of Saw where some guy is made play a game and the fps drops below 22 or something. I need to find this or i will die.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I kiiiind of disagree.

100fps+ is great :D
    Tbh it is pointless upgrading to a 480 from a 290. Both are the same performance wise.
    The only really worthwhile upgrade to a 290 is really a GTX1070 really, everything else is just an incremental improvement. Only worth it though if you're aiming at a 144hz 1080p monitor, at standard 1080p 60hz, it would be a total waste. R9 290's are only fetching around 150-200 now second hand, so you'd be slapping down a fair bit of cash to upgrade.

I'd probably prefer to go with a 144hz 1080p monitor, or 1440p 144hz if you prefer, and make do with the R9 290 for another while while enjoying a new monitor, then think about a new card.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll look into the monitors now! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I need help.

I watched a viral video a few days ago, i think it was made by Corsair.

Basically its a parody of Saw where some guy is made play a game and the fps drops below 22 or something. I need to find this or i will die.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101510558&postcount=3744

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Ha forgot about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Whens black friday?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

day after thanksgiving

• Advertisement

Went a different route to monitor my water temp and pump speed. Temp is working away but didn't get a video, warnings set which sound an alarm too. Just waiting on more sleeving to before I can start on new case. :)

http://sendvid.com/i89emijg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Whens black friday?
    mossym wrote: »
    day after thanksgiving

25th Novemeber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

Probably a silly question, but where do you mostly shop during black Friday in Ireland? Isn't that sort of a US thing?

It's UK as well, nowadays, so most UK retailers will have sales - Amazon, Scan, Overclockers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I have windows 7 laptop and a windows 10 key.

I want to upgrade to windows 10 but dont want to use an ISO. Is there an upgrade program that microsoft have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I want to upgrade to windows 10 but dont want to use an ISO. Is there an upgrade program that microsoft have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can use the media creation tool, but thats just making up an ISO itself.

Why dont you want to use an image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

ED E wrote: »
    You can use the media creation tool, but thats just making up an ISO itself.

Why dont you want to use an image?

The media creation tool allows you to do an upgrade without having to make installation media, at least that's what I was led to believe.

SickBoy wrote: »
    The media creation tool allows you to do an upgrade without having to make installation media, at least that's what I was led to believe.

Ahh it does! Never spotted that.
    select Upgrade this PC now and then select Next.
    The tool will start downloading and then installing Windows 10. This table shows which edition of Windows 10 will be installed on your PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Headshot wrote: »

you can still 'upgrade' to windows 10 for free, if you want to keep the key for something else.

Guys, what websites you use for your general tech news, articles etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Guys, what websites you use for your general tech news, articles etc?

i use https://slashdot.org/
    and boards

Slashdot bot posts to facebook, grand sprinkling of tech in with the "you ok hun xx"s.

AB7t2IBl.jpg

My lazy ass is now a very happy lazy ass.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement