Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

ED E wrote: »
    AB7t2IBl.jpg

My lazy ass is now a very happy lazy ass.

Nice... Excellent chair, got a decent one off adverts for <500, only reason I changed it was the lack of a head rest. Have a humanscale freedom headrest now, but I miss the comfort of the aeron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Guys, what websites you use for your general tech news, articles etc?

I read whatever comes up on my google now feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Razor black widow 2014 mechanical keyboard on amazon for 69£. Is it a good deal?
    I think I heard they use their own keys and not cherry mx?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Razor black widow 2014 mechanical keyboard on amazon for 69£. Is it a good deal?
    I think I heard they use their own keys and not cherry mx?

They use their own keys.

I've mine for the past 2 years, still flying!

Would probably go for something a little smaller in future tho, it gets in the way of the mouse sometimes when playing CSGO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah I have that KB. Mine's still performing just fine. The drivers for it are terrible though. First keyboard I've had that wants my email to make the macros work. No linux drivers, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

As annoying as Razer Synapse is (constantly demanding updates almost every day it seems), I do actually love the software. It's well presented and pretty easy to use. Especially when you compare it to Corsair's horror of an offering. There is a whole editor dedicated to lighting, but it doesn't affect all products. I have the wireless void RGB Headset, and it has it's own lighting editor off in some other part of the tool, making 90% of the tool irrelevant, but it does nothing to help inform you of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Delliding tool arrived today, I didn't fancy using the vice only method on Skylake due to the thinner PCB. Bring on cool temps and high overclocks :)

IMG_2143.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

brave man

brave man

Its fairly straight forward, I done my 4670k and 4770k with vice only method, 30 seconds and done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Any marked improvements with de-lidding?

papu wrote: »
    Any marked improvements with de-lidding?

On my 4670k it was about 15-20 degrees cooler on full load. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

http://deliddedtech.com/2016/04/10/the-rockit-88-delidding-tool-will-make-intel-cpu-delidding-easy/

Saw the video of it being done there! An interesting read!

Kit seems to take all the fun of stabbing your cpu with a knife!

Okay fellow nerds. Need your help.

I need for my sisters family a present. Talked to brother in law and they would love some board games. Thankfully he is as nerd as me.
    So I will buy some kiddy board games for all family and then I need some proper nerdy adult board games. Something like warhammer or dungoen and dragon's stuff.
    Any brick and mortar shops around limerick for that kind of stuff if not, then what about online? Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

For the kiddy stuff - I got a personalised monopoly board before. You can rename all the streets as things that are important to you or places that the family enjoy. It was good craic - not super nerdy though.

I had to order it well in advance and get it delivered to an English address. No idea if it's still available.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I need for my sisters family a present. Talked to brother in law and they would love some board games. Thankfully he is as nerd as me.
    So I will buy some kiddy board games for all family and then I need some proper nerdy adult board games. Something like warhammer or dungoen and dragon's stuff.
    Any brick and mortar shops around limerick for that kind of stuff if not, then what about online? Any suggestions?

Hmm not in Limerick, online amazon.co.uk or boardgamer.ie.

Kiddies Games off the beaten track: Ticket to Ride, Dixit, Sushi Go!, Tokaido, Love Letter

Adult Games sort of like Warhammer/D&D I recommend to you sir: Blood Rage, Descent. Warhammer: Forbidden Stars is well sought after so its pricey, apparently its excellent though.

Or just good all round games that aren't overly complicated: Mysterium (Dixit meets Cluedo), Pandemic (Plague Inc. board game), Codenames (great team game identifying agents), Suburbia (Basically Sim City board game).

God I love board games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dungeons and Donuts has a load of stuff in Galway if you could trek up, they've a pretty decent library in store and will order stuff in for you if you ask. Will probably give recommendations if you ring and ask, really good staff in there.

Not at all a serious nerdy game but they're grabbing me a copy of Munchkin, it's like D&D-lite, a card game that's supposed to be good fun. Pandemic is great fun too. Ticket to Ride is something I see people play a lot, no idea how it works.

Never thought D&D or WH40K would be family games :pac: My family near disowned me..

*more* Cherrys link has brought me to Cards Against Humanity (not a game for your Mother in Law!), and Catan

Hmm not in Limerick, online amazon.co.uk or boardgamer.ie.

Kiddies Games off the beaten track: Ticket to Ride, Dixit, Sushi Go!, Tokaido, Love Letter

Adult Games sort of like Warhammer/D&D I recommend to you sir: Blood Rage, Descent. Warhammer: Forbidden Stars is well sought after so its pricey, apparently its excellent though.

Or just good all round games that aren't overly complicated: Mysterium (Dixit meets Cluedo), Pandemic (Plague Inc. board game), Codenames (great team game identifying agents), Suburbia (Basically Sim City board game).

God I love board games.

I didn't know I enjoyed table-top gaming until I got into D&D but holy christ there's nothing like sitting around a table with a few friends, few cans deep playing some stupid board game like The Big Taboo or sabotaging eachother in D&D.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dungeons and Donuts has a load of stuff in Galway if you could trek up, they've a pretty decent library in store and will order stuff in for you if you ask. Will probably give recommendations if you ring and ask, really good staff in there.

Not at all a serious nerdy game but they're grabbing me a copy of Munchkin, it's like D&D-lite, a card game that's supposed to be good fun. Pandemic is great fun too. Ticket to Ride is something I see people play a lot, no idea how it works.

Never thought D&D or WH40K would be family games :pac: My family near disowned me..

*more* Cherrys link has brought me to Cards Against Humanity (not a game for your Mother in Law!), and Catan

If shadow has a Chromecast there's a free Cards-Against-Humanity app that works well!

If shadow has a Chromecast there's a free Cards-Against-Humanity app that works well!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cah/CAH_MainGame.pdf

You can print like 25 of those pages and just cut all the cards up and use it. Not half as nice as cards and the paper will get ruined but works for a few games to see if you'd like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Settlers of Catan is a fantastic board game. I hear good things about Munchkin, Flux is another pretty good one (both are card based though).

Cards against Humanity is unreal craic with a few drinks and friends, played it a while back and one of the lad's mother joined us...didn't know where to look half the time but she was a great sport and stayed until the end!

• Advertisement

Settlers of Catan is a fantastic board game. I hear good things about Munchkin, Flux is another pretty good one (both are card based though).

Cards against Humanity is unreal craic with a few drinks and friends, played it a while back and one of the lad's mother joined us...didn't know where to look half the time but she was a great sport and stayed until the end!

We had a friends mother join us until she gave him a clip for playing a card, I think it was the Maddy McCann one.

Fluxx looks like good craic with a few drinks in you

For the kiddy stuff - I got a personalised monopoly board before. You can rename all the streets as things that are important to you or places that the family enjoy. It was good craic - not super nerdy though.

I had to order it well in advance and get it delivered to an English address. No idea if it's still available.
    Kids friendly board games won't be an issue, he will send me a list and a pick something. I am more interested in adult ones. Damn, I am more excited getting it for them and playing it with them. :D
    Was thinking of some kids and family friendly game, then cards against humanity with some expansions and something cool like Starcraft, warhammer or some cool adult rpg strategy boards game.
    Is there even good places online to buy board games?

Edit: oh, amd thanks lads. Good stuff posted on it. I will do some research when back home. First time ever I am excited looking for presents lol.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cah/CAH_MainGame.pdf

You can print like 25 of those pages and just cut all the cards up and use it. Not half as nice as cards and the paper will get ruined but works for a few games to see if you'd like it.

I played already it with lads, online version though. All drinking, Web cams on Skype. Great crack. The proper card version would be just awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Catan + Expansions are great. Had my first game of Seafarers a few weeks back (got trounced). Cards Against Humanity is another killer game, I'm an echo of TF here.

Zombicide is fun, slightly harsher learning curve, but gas. "No Dave, don't open the door" *Dave opens anyways* *100 Zombies Spawn* "For fúcks sake Dave".

zombicide-game-play.jpg

Catan + Expansions are great. Had my first game of Seafarers a few weeks back (got trounced). Cards Against Humanity is another killer game, I'm an echo of TF here.

Zombicide is fun, slightly harsher learning curve, but gas. "No Dave, don't open the door" *Dave opens anyways* *100 Zombies Spawn* "For fúcks sake Dave".

zombicide-game-play.jpg

Omfg, zombie survival game?! Oh God yes. That will go to some proper research now!

There are loads of them but thats the only one I've played and it seems to review quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I don't know if it's still going, but there was a "Comic Book" type store on Lower Gerald Griffin Street, about 100-200m down from Upper William Street on the right-hand-side. I remember seeing what looked like D&D type games in the window.

I don't know if it's still going, but there was a "Comic Book" type store on Lower Gerald Griffin Street, about 100-200m down from Upper William Street on the right-hand-side. I remember seeing what looked like D&D type games in the window.

That's The Gathering. They only do Table-top and Card games. They dont do board games at all. Still going afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I need for my sisters family a present. Talked to brother in law and they would love some board games. Thankfully he is as nerd as me. So I will buy some kiddy board games for all family and then I need some proper nerdy adult board games. Something like warhammer or dungoen and dragon's stuff. Any brick and mortar shops around limerick for that kind of stuff if not, then what about online? Any suggestions?

There used to be a place on lower Gerald girffen St that sold all that kind of stuff not sure if it's still open or not

Otherwise art and hobby shop might have something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Am I the only one really disappointed with Amazon's Black Friday so far? Very little decent. Can't remember previous years that well, but I'm pretty sure they were better than this.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Am I the only one really disappointed with Amazon's Black Friday so far? Very little decent. Can't remember previous years that well, but I'm pretty sure they were better than this.

Sure Black Friday isn't until the 25th! And Cyber Monday the 28th - anything before that is just a bonus I'd say..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

More a card game than a board game but I really enjoyed Sentinels of the Multiverse, particularly the fact that it's co-op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Me too. However the £50 off anything over £200 from the warehouse is not too bad. I've availed of it twice.

On their main store it looks like they are just giving mediocre discounts on left over crap they want to get rid of. (With the exception of the odd TV and maybe a window cleaner I missed!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Ya, been the same crap for the last couple of days. Building my first rig atm and was holding off for black friday/cyber monday deals but got impatient and ended up buying this 1070 and an i5 6500 off mindfactory.

Now dreading seeing them cheaper in the coming days! To be fair, did a good bit of researching previous price drops and doubt I'd get as good a deal on a video card, especially with a decent brand. Storage, ram and hopefully peripherals are prob where i'll get the most out of the upcoming sales.

B_Sharp wrote: »
    Ya, been the same crap for the last couple of days. Building my first rig atm and was holding off for black friday/cyber monday deals but got impatient and ended up buying this 1070 and an i5 6500 off mindfactory.

Now dreading seeing them cheaper in the coming days! To be fair, did a good bit of researching previous price drops and doubt I'd get as good a deal on a video card, especially with a decent brand. Storage, ram and hopefully peripherals are prob where i'll get the most out of the upcoming sales.

Isn't that one of those graphics cards that have problems cooling the RAM chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Isn't that one of those graphics cards that have problems cooling the RAM chips.

It's actually the VRM, and yeah, it is, but it's just a missing thermal pad. It's a two minute fix if you know what you're doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think so, but the defect was only in a small batch which caused them to fail below their thermal limit. It is also the VRM chips, which are voltage regulators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

In fairness dont see reductions on Intel chips that often from what i see anyway so chances are you wont be seeing one pop up a lot lower than what was paid anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Ya, but it looks like they're sorting it pretty quickly. Even if the bios update or the extra thermal pads don't work, their customer service is well regarded. Shouldn't have any issues...hopefully!

• Advertisement

When you pre-order a item in this case a monitor with amazon do they sell it to you at the price you preordered it? As it was the same price on overclockers.co.uk yesterday and today it went up by £100 pound sterling. It is only available to pre-order on overclockers as well as amazon.

I don't want to preorder it and then next thing the price shoots up like on overclockers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Any recommended suppliers for a pre-built or custom built desktop machine? Particularly open to German options as a friend drives there regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

AB7t2IBl.jpg

My lazy ass is now a very happy lazy ass.

Did you get a new one or a second hand one?

Just got a second hand one myself though I need to do some maintenance on it to chase down a creak that's doing my head in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone know of any decent home networking kits? Want get the gaming room all wired up but don't fancy using home-plugs.

L wrote: »
    Did you get a new one or a second hand one?

Just got a second hand one myself though I need to do some maintenance on it to chase down a creak that's doing my head in.

Ex office stock. Mostly perfect, little cosmetic wear on the rear where its rubbed against a desk.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone know of any decent home networking kits? Want get the gaming room all wired up but don't fancy using home-plugs.

You tend to get kits in the likes of B&Q with the worst of parts. Go to either Radionics (may be B2B only) or Farnell and get what you need.

Reel of Cat6
    RJ45 heads
    RJ45 blocks
    Crimping tool

Cable tester isnt necessary, cheap ones are of minor use and better ones wont be warranted for irregular use.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone here have to deal with a shortage of space? I'm living in London where it comes at something of a premium. I might get a bonus from work next month though so I might be starting a new build thread soon!!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Does anyone here have to deal with a shortage of space? I'm living in London where it comes at something of a premium. I might get a bonus from work next month though so I might be starting a new build thread soon!!

Lack of space is limiting me loads at the moment in place I'm renting!!

Desk is at one side of my double bed so have to sit at the edge of my bed to get legs under desk! It's horrible! Trying to find either some way of optimising space or else getting some back support..

Shlippery wrote: »
    Lack of space is limiting me loads at the moment in place I'm renting!!

Desk is at one side of my double bed so have to sit at the edge of my bed to get legs under desk! It's horrible! Trying to find either some way of optimising space or else getting some back support..

If only for gaming, I had my awesome lazy pc gaming setup in bed itself before I moved in with misses. Had 40inch TV at the end of the bed and wireless keyboard on my lap. Hard book with mat on it for mouse. Surprisingly comfy.

If only for gaming, I had my awesome lazy pc gaming setup in bed itself before I moved in with misses. Had 40inch TV at the end of the bed and wireless keyboard on my lap. Hard book with mat on it for mouse. Surprisingly comfy.

Maybe, I'm thinking Monitor arm & Ultrawide, maybe able to swing it over the bed...oh such plans for xmas presents for myself!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks like Intel are looking to up the stakes, new Pentium's are essentially an i3 (2 core, 4 thread, 3.8Ghz) for presumably €60-70. Appears to be virtually identical to i3-6100.

HGSsdoo.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

That's a lot of shiny for the money. Is that HT real or a bug or engineering-sample-only-jobbie though?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement