Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ordered a 1080 today so my Pc will be complete*

I7 5960X
    32Gb DDR4

I went all in on X99 2 years ago so now its complete, I imagined X99 would be a stopgap between Haswell and Skylake but it has turned out to be as good as if not better then Skylake and now a 6950X was released. Maybe I didnt go all in on a lame duck after all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Ordered a 1080 today so my Pc will be complete*

I7 5960X
    32Gb DDR4

I went all in on X99 2 years ago so now its complete, I imagined X99 would be a stopgap between Haswell and Skylake but it has turned out to be as good as if not better then Skylake and now a 6950X was released. Maybe I didnt go all in on a lame duck after all :)

Looks like some beast of a machine. You hardly just game on it though?

Looks like some beast of a machine. You hardly just game on it though?

umm what else would it be for?

dreamers75 wrote: »
    umm what else would it be for?

A €1000 CPU that while gaming that can be matched by a i7 6700K. People usually buy that CPU for more intensive CPU tasks like video editing 4K and up files etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Actually I would agree, I'm terrible for throwing money at my main rig, even to GTX1080 SLI, but X99 just for gaming is pretty much a case of major deminishing returns. Excellent for crunching and editing (which I do sometimes) but even for me, it wasn't worthwhile for games and work, 6700K was ideal.

• Advertisement

A €1000 CPU that while gaming that can be matched by a i7 6700K. People usually buy that CPU for more intensive CPU tasks like video editing 4K and up files etc...

But the I7 6700k wasnt out when i got this, i had a work bonus what was either to be spent on a kitchen or a PC. I picked X99 as Skylake wasnt out.

I stand by my choice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Using two different models of RAM as a test. Just threw in the new 16gb kit on top of the existing 8gb kit. G-Skill Ares + new Crucial Ballistix.
    Running Prime95 on Blend. Going for the last 30mins without everything exploding yet. Looking good so far :O
    Only difference I can see is the tRC, which I think is the refresh cycle. 33 for the G-Skill, 37 for the Crucial. Timings and speed are the same.
    I have a program which shows some other interesting information, displaying the differences between the two, which makes it easy to see why this is probably a bad idea. No harm in testing it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Is that surprising? The 680 is over 4 years old now(i think)

SickBoy wrote: »
    Is that surprising? The 680 is over 4 years old now(i think)

It's interesting because in a direct spec comparison (Transistor count, Shader count, Compute units, TMUs, Memory bandwidth) the GTX680 should win.
    http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-680

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It's interesting because in a direct spec comparison (Transistor count, Shader count, Compute units, TMUs, Memory bandwidth) the GTX680 should win.
    http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-680

Chip, Manufacturing process, Frequency, PCIe interface and Memory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't say it's hugely surprising but it's really interesting. It's amazing to think that you can play most of the latest games at ultra for €150.

Really interesting part in that video showing the i3-6100T system - 116w draw under full load with the 1050ti! Now that's seriously impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've still got my 3930k and a 580 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Time to retire my old Logitech G110,G910 arrived today from amazon:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

"Why your gigabit broadband lags like hell – blame Intel's chipset
    Software fix coming after Puma 6 code bug hits Virgin Media, Comcast, Arris and other boxes"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

I posted a query on Virgin's forum here on boards.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057678773

I'm surprised the 480 is on top for most of those. Just goes to show you should never judge a graphics card on synthetic tests like Firestrik as they would have the 1060 on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Luck100 wrote: »
    "Why your gigabit broadband lags like hell – blame Intel's chipset
    Software fix coming after Puma 6 code bug hits Virgin Media, Comcast, Arris and other boxes"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

I posted a query on Virgin's forum here on boards.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057678773

oh ye lucky sob's :(

question lads, I rma'd my evga ftw 1080 due to the whole vrm problem, got a new one that has been working flawlessly for the last 3 weeks. I was playing the witcher 3 last night (have been for about a week now) and suddenly i started getting artifacts until it crashed. Everytime i restarted the game this was happening within 2 minutes. So i tried fire strike and time spy and i was getting pretty much the exact same issue, artifacts and crash. Temperatures where sitting between 60-70 degrees and i had an overclock of +110 core +500 memory.

First thing i did was put my overclock back to default settings, no difference, I then installed a new nvidia driver through geforce experience, no difference there either. I then used DDU and cleaned all video drivers off of my system before installing an old driver from back in october, I also went into nvidia control panel and changed the power management setting from optimal to maximum performance. This worked, no more artifacts or crashes. I then reinstalled the new driver using DDU. Perfect no problems, even when i changed the power management setting back to optimal there was nothing.

Was this just a dodgy driver or should i be worried about the gpu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

Sounds to me like your memory overclock was too high, hence the artifacts.
    Is it working fine now?

• Advertisement

Yeah working grand, memory is at +500 still though. Might bring it down to be safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Yeah working grand, memory is at +500 still though. Might bring it down to be safe

Damn Sean are you struggling to run on stock? :D

Damn Sean are you struggling to run on stock? :D

I have a slight problem OK :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lads, do ye rate Logical Increments at all? Getting a bit burnt out looking at various different components...

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Lads, do ye rate Logical Increments at all? Getting a bit burnt out looking at various different components...

Logical increments is pretty good for getting a general idea for how to balance a build to a budget.

It's a good companion to PCPartpicker (for pricing a build).

Getting a bit burnt out looking at various different components...

I thought that was the idea of using this forum. Unburden thy self.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought that was the idea of using this forum. Unburden thy self.

I intend to. However, I want to at least do some work myself, ie try and research a build before starting a thread. Anyways, the budget isn't 100% sorted just yet.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Literally have a 1080 sitting in a box beside me and installed Relivetoday.

I feel I am cheating......i waited a year for a 490!!!!! and if they announce one at the Zen thing well does anyone want to buy a 1080 :D

Relive well it works.....so theres that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Whats the experts consensus with (CPU + motherboard + RAM) bundles in general?
    Is there savings to be had or what?

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Whats the experts consensus with (CPU + motherboard + RAM) bundles in general?
    Is there savings to be had or what?

I have seen one or two that offerd savings.

But mostly you will find you could make your own bundle for cheaper or a better higher quality selection of parts and still come in cheaper than the offered bundles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Anybody have trouble with the instant replay aspect of ReLive? Didn't work for me on two separate games last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Hi all,

Now I know there are other dedicated place to ask these questions but I trust the opinions of the folks from the B&U forum like no other, especially when it comes to tech and gadgetry.
    Looking at buying two Christmas gifts; A drone and an action camera (go-pro). I was thinking about the €100 mark for drone and €50 mark for camera. They are not intended to be used together. Are there best bank for buck go to items in these categories?
    Currently looking at THIS drone & THIS camera. Would really love any help, thoughts or advice.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

kevovek wrote: »
    Anybody have trouble with the instant replay aspect of ReLive? Didn't work for me on two separate games last night.

The icon was flickering so I thought it wasn't working and went back to using OBS. Might try again with some other games tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Yeah mine was flickering too didn't record a thing, I have two monitors in my set up 2nd ones in portrait mode I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Same setup here with secondary in portrait. I tried with Warframe and it had the same flickering as Arkham Knight. Live preview showed glitches all over the place. Here's the twitch archive for reference https://www.twitch.tv/mrdaylight/v/106544005

Back to OBS I go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im building a new PC early next year.

When do we expect to see the new CPUs and GPUs out?

Headshot wrote: »
    Im building a new PC early next year.

When do we expect to see the new CPUs and GPUs out?

Zen supposedly January, Kaby Lake January as well. This is not gospel either but according to different site January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, is this the best bang for the money racing sim cockpit? I would prefer one which would have ability to put screen on it too. If to go with this one, I would need an extra stand for around 100eu.

http://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-racing-driving-simulator-cockpits/art-racing-simulator-cockpit/gt-omega-art-racing-simulator-cockpit-rs6

Another thing I was wondering:

What size screen would be good for such sim setup? 32inch full HD TV would do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Playseat have cheaper ones than that.

• Advertisement

superg wrote: »
    Playseat have cheaper ones than that.

I sow those and they are not that cheaper and the biggest issue is that their design has a bar between legs. I would just hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lads, is this the best bang for the money racing sim cockpit? I would prefer one which would have ability to put screen on it too. If to go with this one, I would need an extra stand for around 100eu.

http://www.gtomegaracing.com/gt-omega-racing-driving-simulator-cockpits/art-racing-simulator-cockpit/gt-omega-art-racing-simulator-cockpit-rs6

Another thing I was wondering:

What size screen would be good for such sim setup? 32inch full HD TV would do it?

You won't need a monitor stand if you buy a VR Headset ;)

Calibos wrote: »
    You won't need a monitor stand if you buy a VR Headset ;)

Would love to, I tried dk1 ocolus with my g27 and it was epic. Sure resolution was so low I could not see a corner 200M in front of me, but it was awesome concept.
    Cv1 and vive is still not there. I won't pay that kind of money for it with that spec. Cv2 or new Microsoft one should be better deal. For now I need to decide what screen I can use. 32inch tvs still very expensive and I won't spend 300eu on one when you can get 40inch one for a bit more.
    34inch 2560x1080 screen would be perfect for it, but those are still very expensive. Can't really use my 34inch 3440x1440 as I use it all the time.
    Got 2x23inch monitors laying around, but I don't want 3 screen setup for it. Too much mess.

Wish I had learned this the other day when trying to redownload csgo to play a quick match with someone but it took too long... if you add a second network connection steam will download over both.

House internet = 10mbit

phone = 2 bars of 4g+

After everything obviously being very slow with 100% usage on steam, I was attempting to use the phone 4g to just browse boards while the other network was downloading a game... I looked back at steam and this was happening

403650.PNG
    I suppose those numbers seem small / normal to people with good internet but over 1MB is shocking for me haha.

Turned it off after probably 5 minutes so apologies to everyone on that mast who had awful speeds for the few minutes lol and don't worry about my data quota it was grand.
    I was considering getting a proper midband connection to supplement the slow internet here, now that we have a 4g signal but I'm doing a relatively large amount of downloading these days, usenet alone is on 200GB this week and tbh I would actually feel a bit bad being a massive bandwidth hog on the new 4g mast near here, as well as the data caps anyway, so I'd have to be using it for just fast uploads and general browsing and have long slow downloads stay over the copper line.. but then I'd be getting into either strange router setups or link aggregation to a vps or something?

My idea of the microwave link to the place the few KM away that I posted about on here before didn't work out after my reccy where I realised there was no place I could mount an antenna high enough without it being an issue with permission etc. as there were a lot of things in the way that would need to be cleared. But the link to someone down the road on the eircom blueline is still on the cards depending when they get connected and if they still remember being OK with the idea

Haven't played any game in months :eek:

I also just got a new hdd, toshiba x300 4tb, I like it so far and well priced becuase there was 20% off or something good on amazon for drives that day.. It's getting to the stage now when I next run out of storage space I'm going to have to get hba card or else start retiring the couple of 500gb hdds left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Frozen IIWY I'd go for a proper Midband setup.

B593: €100ish one time payment
    3AYCE Phone plan: €20/mo

Even rural cells can manage 100Mb while everyone is asleep, urban ones that are double stacked do a bit more.

If most of your traffic is NZB/P2P of some kind its trivial to schedule it nightly. Have your clients kick in from 1.30AM to 7.30AM. You'll wake up each day to a lovely present.

During the day you won't really be that much of a bandwidth wh0re as the BBU will divy out what it has *roughly* equally (If you use many side by side connections you may cheat this).

ED E wrote: »
    Frozen IIWY I'd go for a proper Midband setup.

B593: €100ish one time payment
    3AYCE Phone plan: €20/mo

Even rural cells can manage 100Mb while everyone is asleep, urban ones that are double stacked do a bit more.

If most of your traffic is NZB/P2P of some kind its trivial to schedule it nightly. Have your clients kick in from 1.30AM to 7.30AM. You'll wake up each day to a lovely present.

During the day you won't really be that much of a bandwidth wh0re as the BBU will divy out what it has *roughly* equally (If you use many side by side connections you may cheat this).

That's food for thought with 3 ayce, if there no issue with it being in a modem rather than a phone then it's perfect.

I'll look into that b593, I was looking into using a hg556a on openwrt with a usb modem like a e355 or whatever the newer 4g version is and any little antenna I could find cheap, as I already have the hg556a being used as a second wireless AP on openwrt. It was looking like it could be a very low startup cost.

I think the e355 is usb eithernet so it 'just works' when plugged into basically anything?

All traffic would be nzb, I'm collecting a lot of bd50 linux isos at the moment to replace the web-dl linux isos

Okay lads. Needs some help.

I got g29 steering wheel as xmas present from misses and to go with it I ordered GT omega wheel stand and threw in 525gb Crucial SSD. I finally plan to replace my 60gb ssd and upgrade to windows 10, the sneaky free version.

So plan is:

Replace 60gb ssd with 525gb and make it steam library.
    Keep 256gb ssd and use it as OS drive.
    Keep 1tb and 500gb hdds.

I would like to sort out my pc now, before ssd comes in, so when it arrives I just replace it and move on.

I am going to back up photos and other small things on external hdd now. I want a clean install. Then I need to set drives to AHCI as I stupidly never did that when putting together my pc.

There was a guide somewhere for the whole free windows 10 thing? With making usb boot drive?

In a nutshell my steps will be:

1. Back up what I need.
    2. Make bootable usb drive.
    3. Go to Bios and change to ACHI ( Now if I understand right, everything I had on hdds will be lost at that point? )
    4. Set boot order to usb, pop in drive and do whole windows 10 installation,
    5. ?????
    6. Profit?

Is that right?

What do I need to know about this windows 10 that is unactivated? As I sow before a good few using it here full time, its all down to watermark?

I'm not sure on the windows 10 part, I didn't do a clean install for it so it just did its own thing, there might be something a bit weird that needs to be done when doing a fresh install, unless you do the upgrade first, then do a fresh install with the new key it makes when you upgrade, that might work? But I do remember someone posting a good set of steps for doing a clean install when it came out.

but for the clean install/ moving drives around:
    Back up everything, clear the ssd for os drive, remove all drives except the ssd you want as OS drive, set ahci in bios, then do your fresh install of windows, then add your other drives after. windows can do weird stuff with multiple drives when installing like having some necessary stuff put on a random other drive for no reason.

Damn, ran in to my first issue lol... Need 8gb on Drive C: to make damn boot usb key... Why it cant use other drive.

Backed up my stuff now. Reseting to factory settings misses laptop as its riddled with crap and she asked me to sort it out ages ago. Looks like it might take longer then I planed and might not get everything done today.

Okay, got misses laptop sorted. Jaysus, hp loves it's bloatware!!!
    Doing USB key now. Will disconnect hdds and ssds. Leave only 256GB one. Change achi and try install. Will see what's going to happen. I got 1h30min until I need to pick up my little rat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement