Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

did you figure out if you would be ok doing a fresh install of windows 10 and not doing the upgrade first? I think the upgrade changes your windows key into a windows 10 one.. so you might not be able to install otherwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Only put games on the SSD that need to be on the SSD, most games do not benefit from being on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah lads, no need to tell me about those things. Few years ago I was doing specs for people here too, when we had grid script. I know my ssds stuff. :D

And now to look like an idiot by saying this:

What stuff do I need to turn off on Windows 10 for ssds?
    On Windows 7 was page file and windows recovery. Any nice article or list of what to do for fresh SSD install on 10?

I presume you figured out that I got it done. Installed it and basic drivers up. Cheers for advice about disconnecting drives before switching to achi. I reconnected them after and everything still there, but I just purged it anyway, just to have that new windows smell. At least I don't Need to take photos back from external.
    So it's not activated windows and I see how far I can push it. If it will start to annoy me ill buy key off reddit.
    Install went pretty much straight forward. One thing annoyed me, but it's issue with all damn windows installs since 95. While installing it will restart, but on boot it will load up USB and try to install again, not continue. I always forget amd windows don't really notify you.
    Hadn't time to play around with it yet, but it looks sleek. Might be the very very first windows I will actually officially buy :pac:

I still can't restart this current windows 10 install without it wanting to do the 'continue your install' half way through rebooting.. can't be arsed fixing because it only happens on reboot not on shut down then start again.. :D

For changing stuff on windows for ssd I don't think you have to do anything before. I know I had to turn off trim and all that kind of stuff before but now nothing. It won't try defrag ssds anymore lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

Windows 10 thinks my NVME SSD is a HDD. True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What stuff do I need to turn off on Windows 10 for ssds?

Nothing. All that stuff was for 1st gen SSD's and old OS's to try minimise writes. Its not required now.

Okay, looks like its up and running well. Installed steam too.

Cant wait for my 525gb ssd to come. For now will have to be like peasant on hdd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Lads, sorry if this is the wrong room for it but looking to sell my 960 2gb soon and just want to know whats a realistic price to set it at?

madcabbage wrote: »
    Lads, sorry if this is the wrong room for it but looking to sell my 960 2gb soon and just want to know whats a realistic price to set it at?

Take a 1050ti price. Then subtract for all the negatives of a second hand part like a lack of warranty, lower vram, higher risk of failure and lack of specific advanced features.

• Advertisement

Okay, noticed some weird stuff with win10.

It randomly freezes for good few seconds and then comes back with no issues at all. Only happens in desktop, never in games. Kind of really annoying.

run this http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon and see what is making it hang like that. have you installed all drivers that are available on the page for your motherboard eg. network adaptor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Okay, noticed some weird stuff with win10.

It randomly freezes for good few seconds and then comes back with no issues at all. Only happens in desktop, never in games. Kind of really annoying.

That is not normal. I have been on 10 since day one and never had that problem on my desktop or even my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

That is not normal. I have been on 10 since day one and never had that problem on my desktop or even my laptop.

Same as that, had some weird crap on the Anniversary Update but rolled back and it was okay.

Cheers lads. It did a big restart with a lot of updates and didnt have any more of those freezes so far. Maybe it got fixed.

Modo drivers only from 2013 on website, so no point in them. Will see how it will go.

So far kind of liking win 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

With classic start installed, no reason not to love Win10 to be honest. So much better than Win8/8.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

With classic start installed, no reason not to love Win10 to be honest. So much better than Win8/8.1

Pffft reason number 1. Windows 7......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DEfj2MRLtA

AMD Zen livestream on at the mo..

Pffft reason number 1. Windows 7......

Games run faster in Windows 10.

Games run faster in Windows 10.

DX12 will at some stage be relevant

DX12 will at some stage be relevant

;)

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DEfj2MRLtA

AMD Zen livestream on at the mo..

I just finished watching it. No price though.

;)

;)

I never understand when people hint at things :(

;)

I never understand when people hint at things :(

;);););););););););););)

I hope this clarifies matters.

;);););););););););););)

I hope this clarifies matters.

Skip to 0:33 to grasp my feelings on the matter

Actually, perfect! DX11 is here....DX12 is far away :D

Actually, perfect! DX11 is here....DX12 is far away :D

No you were meant to be Ted :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nothing. All that stuff was for 1st gen SSD's and old OS's to try minimise writes. Its not required now.

Apart from automatic defragging but that is usually turned off automatically for SSDs.

Holy crap lads, who the hell we were able to play games when hdds were the only option?!?!
    I got two games downloaded, path of exile and killing floor 2.
    I never noticed loading screens between zones amd waypoints. Appearantly there are! Damn long too!
    Killing floor 2 took ages to load up in to game. When I stupidly died on second wave, I was dreaming to go back to main menu and wait for that loading screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Any one watch the new amd RyZen launch?

Yeah, only really interested point was the TDP of 100watts for the 8 core and the "Extended Frequency Range", which basically said that if you had over the top cooling, the chip raised its clock speed to match it. Pretty much automated overclocking.

I assume that Intel have been sitting on better binned chips for a while now, expect to see prices on the high end drop and higher clocked chips to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I assume that Intel have been sitting on better binned chips for a while now, expect to see prices on the high end drop and higher clocked chips to come out.

Everyone says this and I think it's bollocks.

Intel wouldn't want to be "sitting on chips" because chips they don't sell are costing them money (storage & lost transactions).

But intel still have the most powerful chip though at extortionate prices. As AMD's top chip matches the i7 6900k where as intel have the 10 core 6950X. Hopefully AMD price it right roughly €500 and I'd say it will sell well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Redfox25

But intel still have the most powerful chip though at extortionate prices. As AMD's top chip matches the i7 6900k where as intel have the 10 core 6950X. Hopefully AMD price it right roughly €500 and I'd say it will sell well.

IT would be great if AMD's new chip does all it is supposed to do at a much lower price as that could only be good for consumers.
    They do have a bad tendency to overhype stuff and then it fails to deliver to the overhype so a good product is not looked at correctly.

Will be good to see some other sites benchmarks and reviews on the new chips too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭dunworth1

nothing wrong with the windows 10 start menu

dunworth1 wrote: »

Since Windows 8 I don't even relate to peoples problems with it. My process for opening a app involves hitting the windows key, typing in the first couple of letters of the application and hitting enter. Why bother with menus?

Since Windows 8 I don't even relate to peoples problems with it. My process for opening a app involves hitting the windows key, typing in the first couple of letters of the application and hitting enter. Why bother with menus?

I never had any problem with it either. I have had stock windows 8, 8.1 and 10 no classic start menu at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭.G.

I don't even use the menu. Shortcuts on the desktop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Work have extended my probation meaning no bonus (and no PC) for me for another while. :(

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

So I only used windows 10 for 1 day, but what I used I did not even noticed no start. Its has pretty much same thing, just not called start.
    Another thing is, that so far 10 made me even more lazy.
    Press microphone, say: control panel. And it's open. I just do that now with everything and it's stupidly handy. :D

One thing I noticed that all prices in ms store are in pounds. Will that be an issue? I set it to Ireland when installing, but maybe it thinks I am in UK or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

So I only used windows 10 for 1 day, but what I used I did not even noticed no start. Its has pretty much same thing, just not called start.
    Press microphone, say: control panel. And it's open. I just do that now with everything and it's stupidly handy. :D

One thing I noticed that all prices in ms store are in pounds. Will that be an issue? I set it to Ireland when installing, but maybe it thinks I am in UK or something?

Type "Location" into the search bar & click "Change your country or region" it will probably have you down as United Kingdom, just change it to Ireland.

It's not a problem tho, you just might need a UK billing address if you were to buy something.

Control panel, Type region in corner, location change from UK to Ireland.

edit: damn too slow

Will cortana still work? Getting really fond of this voice thing.

I wasn't saying there was necessarily, but that most peoples issue migrating from Win7 is the black of a classic start menu.

Realistically most people don't even use or need the start menu, and the Win10 setup is miles ahead of the garbage that was Win8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

I dont want to admit to how long this took :( now for the two 8 pins and the 24 pin !

unnamed.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Cool colour scheme though. Finished build should look pretty schweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Serephucus wrote: »
    Cool colour scheme though. Finished build should look pretty schweet.

Hopefully anyway, but we know that these things never are finished lol.

I watched it and tested my current PC with the blender test like they said to try in the demo. Anyone else try it?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

The new Ryzen chip with turbo disabled @3.4GHz done it in roughly 36 seconds.
    My current hexa core chip done it in 53 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Great news for gamers :)

The "slow" Crucial MX300 is neck-and-neck with the Samsung 960 Pro in game loading times, despite costing much less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We knew that though. Only reason to go above the 500MB/s mark is for dev/production workloads such as write intensive DBs.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Great news for gamers :)

The "slow" Crucial MX300 is neck-and-neck with the Samsung 960 Pro in game loading times, despite costing much less.

That's what I ordered myself. 300mx 525GB purely for games and steam. I got already 256GB crucial, but older one and I could not fault it.
    I don't know about all these super fast speeds of new ssds. What I get now is more then enough.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement