Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Would upgrading from a g1820 to a g3258 be a worthwhile or noticeable upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

MRTULES wrote: »
    Would upgrading from a g1820 to a g3258 be a worthwhile or noticeable upgrade?

Yes. Especially considering the low cost involved, even if you sold that old Celeron for €20. The G3258 is an amazing cpu for the money, and it'd be a big boost on what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Quick question for you, what type of cheapish ATX PSU can I get for this PC? I recently upgraded my PC and almost have enough parts leftover to make another PC then sell it. I just need a PSU to make this complete.
    Since the main parts are a 95W processor and a 5670 is it ok to get something like this?
    CIT 450w Gold 12CM Silent Atx Power Supply?

Or is it worth spending more to get a CX430? not forgetting I wont actually be using it just selling it on.

Then how much could I get for the whole PC when I have the power supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Ive been tempted to use my old XPS 630i case to build andother PC on the side. Have my old GTX 660 OC knocking about now that I have my GTX 970.

Not too sure how the other half will be when I mention I might do that.
    The 630i case is a bit weird so I'll have to do some research into which mobo manufacturers fit the case.

If its not a standard motherboard form factor, you could always fit a mATX board. It may involve drilling and tapping the holes on the motherboard tray then fitting new standoff's.

You would need a battery drill, 2mm HSS bit and tap to suit your standoff's-usually #6-32 (imperial sh!te..).

Worst case the IO shield won't fit and you need to dremel the case a bit, doubt this would be an issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Quick question for you, what type of cheapish ATX PSU can I get for this PC? I recently upgraded my PC and almost have enough parts leftover to make another PC then sell it. I just need a PSU to make this complete.
    Since the main parts are a 95W processor and a 5670 is it ok to get something like this?
    CIT 450w Gold 12CM Silent Atx Power Supply?

Or is it worth spending more to get a CX430? not forgetting I wont actually be using it just selling it on.

Then how much could I get for the whole PC when I have the power supply?

I wouldn't sell on a dodgy PSU - aside from the morals, if it blows up, it would look good for you. I'd get something better than the CIT. Cost... I dunno, maybe €200 or €250 if you're lucky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I recently replaced a "550W" PSU in my girlfriend's system... because is was crapping out when trying to draw more than 200W. CX430 (or VS350) gets my vote.

Monotype wrote: »
    I wouldn't sell on a dodgy PSU - aside from the morals, if it blows up, it would look good for you. I'd get something better than the CIT. Cost... I dunno, maybe €200 or €250 if you're lucky?

Thats what I thought, I'll get the CX430.

I generally find those cheapo PSU's are fine once you're never drawing more than about 40% of what they're rated for. So i think the CIT would be fine for that build, as long as you don't put anything more power hungry in there. The real problem arises when someone wants to upgrade, doesn't understand that the PSU is a cheapo unit, and sticks in a card that should work on any half decent 300w+ PSU.

Then the whole thing goes kaput or if you're lucky, just shuts down or is unstable.

I have used tons of those cheapo PSU's though, and surprisingly none have failed one me, but I've never pushed them past about 200w power consumption. My favourite is Dabs '500w Pulse PSU' for 13 euro - it doesn't even have a pci-e connector!! Now that's REAL junk. The CIT is a big step above that even.

If it was me and I was just building to sell it on I'd just go for the CIT. The PC isn't worth a huge amount as it is and the CIT will work fine.

Thanks, I was going to get the CX430 but now I think I'll get the CIT one,

CX430 is €42 and the CIT one is €24

How much would you say the whole pc is worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What's the story with good cable management?

I have a full tower and my old OCZ PSU just about reaches the mobo's socket at the top of the case but, obviously, there's no choice to manage my cables other than finding the shortest route between the PSU and the socket.

Do the better PSU's come with long enough cables or do you need to get separate ones?

I was looking at the Seasonic m12ii evo edition 850w for my wee upgrade over the next couple of months. I read a review and it said that it too might struggle with full towers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I generally find those cheapo PSU's are fine once you're never drawing more than about 40% of what they're rated for. So i think the CIT would be fine for that build, as long as you don't put anything more power hungry in there. The real problem arises when someone wants to upgrade, doesn't understand that the PSU is a cheapo unit, and sticks in a card that should work on any half decent 300w+ PSU.

Then the whole thing goes kaput or if you're lucky, just shuts down or is unstable.

I have used tons of those cheapo PSU's though, and surprisingly none have failed one me, but I've never pushed them past about 200w power consumption. My favourite is Dabs '500w Pulse PSU' for 13 euro - it doesn't even have a pci-e connector!! Now that's REAL junk. The CIT is a big step above that even.

If it was me and I was just building to sell it on I'd just go for the CIT. The PC isn't worth a huge amount as it is and the CIT will work fine.
    I would never go near a CIT power supply. I've had two people I know stupid enough to buy them thinking they would do and both went bang taking the rest of the pc with it.
    Its nuts to buy **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I try not to obsess over cable management. If the temps are good and it's relatively easy to upgrade certain parts without disconnecting everything then all is well in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Weird one here lads.

Server's up and running 2012 R2 (I'll post pictures, just in college at the minute)

Trying to run a Minecraft server inside a MineOS VM. Friend can connect to the config WebUI, and the Linux shell, but not to the game itself. Also, Plex (which is on the host OS) can pull media information from the internet fine, but can't seem to publish itself (make itself accessible from outside the LAN).

This leads me to think I've got some sort of everything-except-web-traffic blocking going on. Ports are all forwarded correctly, etc. Firewall is disabled for troubleshooting, and a bog-standard browser works fine, but not much else internet-related does.

I try not to obsess over cable management. If the temps are good and it's relatively easy to upgrade certain parts without disconnecting everything then all is well in my books.

It's purely an aesthetic concern for me.:)

Gbear wrote: »
    It's purely an aesthetic concern for me.:)

If the case I'm using doesn't have a side window I don't really care much, but there's nothing worse than a big visible mess of cables!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads can anyone recommend decent PC speakers that go nicely with a headset? I just want to use the speakers most stuff but when playing online I can insert my headset into the speakers and im sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Headshot wrote: »
    lads can anyone recommend decent PC speakers that go nicely with a headset? I just want to use the speakers most stuff but when playing online I can insert my headset into the speakers and im sorted

I got the Logitech z323 for €20 on Black Friday and they are deffo worth that much. The control speaker has a microphone and headphone jack that I use for my headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In fairness, when it comes to speakers/good value, you can never go wrong with Logitech stuff for PC. I got X530 for 8 years now. Dogs have chewed up wires so many times that I lost my count and they still work perfectly and sound great.

I have somewhere 2.1 Logitech speakers too, that I bought for 30eu in Argos and those were great too.

I have Corsair SP2500's for the last 12 months ore so. They're excellent. Lovely sound, plenty of bass and the desk top controller has an aux in and headphones out. Only thing I had an issue with is the cables from the sub to the speakers is a bit on the short side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

can any one recommend a decent head set with a mic for gaming sub €100.00?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can any one recommend a decent head set with a mic for gaming sub €100.00?

A steel series Sibera v2 is nice headset I have to say. Got it the other week, comfy and just a great sound

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

My white NZXT H440 arrived today. The case is beautiful, just transferring the build over at the moment but it's a joy to work with.

The included 3 pin 10 fan hub is a big plus but the lack of a fan controller is disappointing. I'll have to mod the molex power supply to it from 12v to 7v to reduce the fan speeds or they will be stuck at 100%.

Not a big job though so it's only a minor gripe. Pics coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

BloodBath wrote: »
    My white NZXT H440 arrived today. The case is beautiful, just transferring the build over at the moment but it's a joy to work with.

The included 3 pin 10 fan hub is a big plus but the lack of a fan controller is disappointing. I'll have to mod the molex power supply to it from 12v to 7v to reduce the fan speeds or they will be stuck at 100%.

Not a big job though so it's only a minor gripe. Pics coming soon.

Beaut of a case. Fan controllers are awesome though.

Sister's motherboard arrived today - she was dissapointed the case didn't show up with it as she was wanting get some gaming in by the weekend.

Oh well. So anyway, lads. I have this broken piece of crap Samsung netbook. I'm going to rip the hard drive out of it but is there anything else I could salvage or is worth selling via classifieds or even just give away for free to anyone? Or is the rest destined for trash?

If its a popular enough model, maybe slap it on adverts/ebay for parts? One man's trash is another man's treasure & all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Sister's motherboard arrived today - she was dissapointed the case didn't show up with it as she was wanting get some gaming in by the weekend.

Oh well. So anyway, lads. I have this broken piece of crap Samsung netbook. I'm going to rip the hard drive out of it but is there anything else I could salvage or is worth selling via classifieds or even just give away for free to anyone? Or is the rest destined for trash?

What model is it?

NP-N130

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Just about half way saved before i have my full PC fund. Was gonna go for a i5 + 770 combo but now I'm going for a i7 with the 970. Any recommendations for a case and a mobo?

Was thinking the NZXT H440 would be a grand case. No idea on the mobo though

Klair88 wrote: »
    Just about half way saved before i have my full PC fund. Was gonna go for a i5 + 770 combo but now I'm going for a i7 with the 970. Any recommendations for a case and a mobo?

Was thinking the NZXT H440 would be a grand case. No idea on the mobo though

The difference in price between an i5 and an i7 is a fair bit.

Would you not be better off sticking with the i5 and going the whole hog on the GPU (ie the 980)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah, got so much stuff to do today. Buddy droped off few PCs to be sorted. I sorted one so far and I will need to burn Windows xp on a CD tomorrow to start sorting out the other one.
    So I have already spent a few hours on laptop reinstalling Windows 7 as it was just Bluescreening after reinstall. Needed to format it to finally sort it out. Now I am playing away with drivers...
    Its HP Pavilion g6-1311ea Notebook. I got Network and Wireless Drivers off HP website but I still get issues with "PCI Device" and "SM Bus controller". I presume it is chipset drivers, but those are not on HP official website. Any ideas lads?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5226879#N9313

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement