Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Check Intel/AMD's website. Intel in particular has some pretty good search tools for finding what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Serephucus wrote: »
    Check Intel/AMD's website. Intel in particular has some pretty good search tools for finding what you need.

Its amd laptop m8. Any links for it?

I feel like complete noob when it comes laptops. Would chipset be under Bios section on official website? ( the link I gave )

I did not got a CD with all chipset drivers with that laptop and this is really starting to do my head in.

Edit: PCI device yoke sorted. I googled the ID of item and turns out its card reader. Got separate river for it and its sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03208217&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4132&product=5226879&sw_lang=

Theres the info sheet, slightly buried, but shows detailed info.

Its a bit convoluted how you have to search for em, normally windows can do it itself via windows update - optional updates.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

First download on that page is what you need. Also remember to get the latest copy of catalyst for proper graphics drivers too.

ED E wrote: »
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03208217&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&os=4132&product=5226879&sw_lang=

Theres the info sheet, slightly buried, but shows detailed info.

Its a bit convoluted how you have to search for em, normally windows can do it itself via windows update - optional updates.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows%207%20-%2064

First download on that page is what you need. Also remember to get the latest copy of catalyst for proper graphics drivers too.

Cheers m8. I just got those drivers a second ago from other forum lol. The sad issue is.... I installed them and now it takes ages to load up windows. It just stuck on "Starting Windows" ( the logo is still pulsing... I am afraid restarting it now... If I will need to do everything again, I will burst a testicle.

• Advertisement

Great... Windows are not loading up anymore. Repair does not work too. ****. I spent last 4 hours trying to sort out this laptop and looks like I iwll have to do a fresh install again and not do chipset update. I got work in less then 4 hours too. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Something is awry there. Make sure the drive is in AHCI mode. And that its a healthy drive.

ED E wrote: »
    Something is awry there. Make sure the drive is in AHCI mode. And that its a healthy drive.

All 100% sorted. Turns out it was AMD chipset issue. I was not the only one to report that new chipset drivers being arse. I went to Hp support forum and support lads there are just freaking awesome. I got a broken down driver specificly for that device and it is now sorted.

Hp is getting huge thumbs up from me lads! Cheers for help here too!

Well, did a full xp reinstall on Dell 8400. That's right, a pentium 4, 1gb ram beast! Again, no driver discs etc. Took me ages again as official dell drivers are ass. Had to hunt down ancient sound blaster sound card drivers lol.

It was a while since I used and installed xp. It's unreal how much easier and automatic modern windows are. Brought back the memories lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Has anyone tried to use Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) to create a cache partition for their gaming HDD yet?

I got a new 256GB SSD there and am configuring it at the moment. Installing windows in EFI mode so I can run ultra fast boot in windows 7.

I'd like to create a small partition (20GB) from this as well to use as a cache drive for my 1TB gaming HDD.

It should be straightforward but seems to be a total pain as Intel seems to have designed the software to be used for creating a SSD cache for windows on a HDD meaning you have to have windows installed on the HDD you want to cache.

There is a workaround which involves installing windows on the HDD you want to cache, then running the software to create the cache partition, then deleting windows off of the HDD, installing it on the big primary partition on the SSD but this seems like a total pain in the arse which would mean wiping my gaming drive as well which is practically full.

Does anyone know of an easier way of doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Are normal cards (i.e, the ones that don't cost a grand) at the stage yet where you can be thinking about 4k?

My rough plan was to get a 980, have a look at where 4k screens were at in a years time and get another 980 for SLI to run one.
    But looking at the current benchmarks for SLI 980s wouldn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence that they'd be able to cut it.

I'll be waiting until December anyway and if the R9 300 series are out by then it could shake things up a bit again but with the value for money element less of a factor, the heat issues and power usage of the 200 series have me feeling a little pessimistic.

Gbear wrote: »
    Are normal cards (i.e, the ones that don't cost a grand) at the stage yet where you can be thinking about 4k?

My rough plan was to get a 980, have a look at where 4k screens were at in a years time and get another 980 for SLI to run one.
    But looking at the current benchmarks for SLI 980s wouldn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence that they'd be able to cut it.

I'll be waiting until December anyway and if the R9 300 series are out by then it could shake things up a bit again but with the value for money element less of a factor, the heat issues and power usage of the 200 series have me feeling a little pessimistic.

970/980 sli are still not at the 4k level. I am not sure 4K is worth it at the moment. A good 1440p is way better deal right now.

970/980 sli are still not at the 4k level. I am not sure 4K is worth it at the moment. A good 1440p is way better deal right now.

Actually having another look at the benchmarks the performance isn't bad at all.

With 2xGTX 980s most games seem to hover around 25-40 fps. It sounds like they OC like beasts as well so I'd say most current games wouldn't be far off a solid 40+fps.
    And that's usually with AA turned on as well, which as far as I know, would be virtually pointless at 4K (or certainly less important than a solid 60 fps).

Given that my current setup is a lowly OC'd 7950 for a 1440p monitor the framerates would probably be higher than I'm getting now even with AA and without OCing.

I think I've convinced myself again.:p

This Asus screen seems to be the real deal..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-PB287Q-Widescreen-Ultra-Monitor/dp/B00JEZTC3I

So, to make a long story short, this time next year I'd say running a 4k screen off 2 GTX980's will be both reasonably affordable and give very solid performance.

I don't think 4GB of graphics memory is enough for 4k to be honest.

Devs are using more graphics memory to the point that 2GB is starting to not be enough for even 1080p.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,182 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

8GB is the way to go. Some day my beast will have its 4k monitor

Yep, I wouldn't touch TN panels either which is what all of those 4k panels are.

I'd take a 120/144hz 1440p IPS monitor over 4k anyday at the moment.

In the market for something myself soon, ideally 1440p 100hz+ with Free-Sync or G-Sync.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yep, I wouldn't touch TN panels either which is what all of those 4k panels are.

I'd take a 120/144hz 1440p IPS monitor over 4k anyday at the moment.

In the market for something myself soon, ideally 1440p 100hz+ with Free-Sync or G-Sync.

They look like they're coming down in price very quickly though.

Its the next standard and there's going to be a much stronger push towards it than 1440.

WQHD has barely budged in price in the last year.

Devs are using more graphics memory to the point that 2GB is starting to not be enough for even 1080p.

I suppose that's the benefit of staggering it over a year.

980 is perfect for my 1440p screen and a huge upgrade on my 7950.

I can see what 4k situation is in a years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Anyone running Samsung Evo flash the new firmware and use the restoration tool ?

Before

4Adeecy.png

After

BlKprUc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Shadow of mordor being a perfect example at what 6GBS to play on ultra settings? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm playing at 4K, and my 4GB 290 is doing alright so far. I actually have two 290's at the moment but my board doesn't have two lanes, so I'm sort of mulling over keeping them and crossfiring, but then I'd need a new PSU as well...and the whole thing is effort. Not sure I'm that into 4K to be honest. I actually prefer my 29" 2560x1080 widescreen...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm playing at 4K, and my 4GB 290 is doing alright so far. I actually have two 290's at the moment but my board doesn't have two lanes, so I'm sort of mulling over keeping them and crossfiring, but then I'd need a new PSU as well...and the whole thing is effort. Not sure I'm that into 4K to be honest. I actually prefer my 29" 2560x1080 widescreen...
    What 4k screen did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Does anyone remember/know of any software packs for fresh windows installs? Got a new SSD for my laptop and would rather not trudge all over the place picking up everything seperately and I'm sure I saw one linked here at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

ninite

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Also, I've recently moved to the mainland UK. Has anyone here had any experience shipping a rig across seas? I'm debating whether it's worth it or not to myself but have been too busy/lazy to look up pricing etc.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Also, I've recently moved to the mainland UK. Has anyone here had any experience shipping a rig across seas? I'm debating whether it's worth it or not to myself but have been too busy/lazy to look up pricing etc.

You see some horror stories on reddit with shipping the whole machine.

I'd say your best bet is packing each part separately and only leaving your psu in the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

When buying from HWS and paying with bank transfer what happens if one of the parts in your order goes out of stock between placing the order and the money actually going through?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sometimes they reserve the item for you. Sometimes you have to wait longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Bazzo wrote: »
    Does anyone remember/know of any software packs for fresh windows installs? Got a new SSD for my laptop and would rather not trudge all over the place picking up everything seperately and I'm sure I saw one linked here at some stage.
    Monotype wrote: »
    ninite

Maybe it was just my experience, but I tried to use Ninite and the downloading of the packages took absolutely forever, I actually just canceled it.

Ninite also didn't list everything I wanted nor did it have a very extensive list of alternatives for certain things.

For my sister's recent gaming rig we ended up just installing things as we needed them with Chocolatey as it seemed much more responsive. Only downside was that the firefox package didn't seem to work that day... maybe Mozilla servers were acting up or something. But everything else went great. Got notepad++, steam, tixati, speccy etc etc. My tech noob sis seems to really appreciate using command line for doing a lot of stuff now too which was very unexpected! Will have to remind her to get clover and wizmouse on her system next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ran the restoration software myself there before I left, only back now to check it. Seems to have worked nicely.

SATAII port, I know, just too damn lazy to change it.

Before:
    3Dv9CtXl.png

After:
    ZnnocWyl.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement