Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Has anyone put a gtx 670 itx block and backplate on a gtx 970 card? I'm thinking of replacing my 670 with a gtx 970 and would be handy if the block I already have fits it.
    I can see the block fits the pny version but not sure about the backplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

4K monitors just went IPS!

LG_31MU97_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Lu Tze wrote: »
    4K monitors just went IPS!

LG_31MU97_01.jpg

Finally

I've a pair of GTX670s in SLI. How much (ballpark) am I looking at to put them under water.

The temps get up to 70-80 under load and they get fairly loud. When it was just one is was lovely and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Too much. I would honestly sell the pair of then and get a 970. It would cost minimun of 100 euroes to get water cooling going (fans, radiator, tubing, pump etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've a pair of GTX670s in SLI. How much (ballpark) am I looking at to put them under water.

The temps get up to 70-80 under load and they get fairly loud. When it was just one is was lovely and quiet.

Sounds like case temps or air flow is your issue there, maybe start with a bit more positive pressure first?

By the way, 70-80 under load is fine in terms of temps, but I understand you might find it a bit loud. Could you find a happy medium between heat and sound with a custom fan profile?

As above, no harm checking out your overall airflow situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

70-80 in SLI under load ( keeping in mind that both cards scraping arses and dont get great airflow ) sounds reasonable.

Yeah, it was kinda pie-in-the-sky territory anyway.

Anyone looking for a pair of 670s? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

So 8GB of GRAM and 970/980s in SLI would be the be the best option with 4K, expensive hobby..

Any new rumours re. a 980 ti ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

cable-ezee-wrap-r1035-534.jpg

Where would I find some of this in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

srumball wrote: »
    cable-ezee-wrap-r1035-534.jpg

Where would I find some of this in Dublin?

Radionics have similar, they're in Crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Any body got an idea of what the Oculus Rift DK2 is going for these days second hand?

Have had mine about 6 weeks, but other than the week i got it, i havent had time play with it at all. Thats not likely to change either due to other commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Whats the power consumption like on the 970 lads? To much for a 450 Bronze amazon psu? With a i5-3550

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

450watt wouldn't cut it sadly. :/

Bare minimum for the card is 500watt.

450watt wouldn't cut it sadly. :/

Bare minimum for the card is 500watt.

Wrong, a quality 450w unit is more than enough for the card.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Wrong, a quality 450w unit is more than enough for the card.

Where did you get that from?

I know they sip but still, anyone have any links for that?

Edit: Sorry about that Nolars. Didn't do my research well enough. Yet another surprise by way of the 970, I knew it sipped power but wtf. Thanks for correcting me Gumbi. I'll forgo giving any such advice until I've read up enough on the topic from now on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Agreed. You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

With my I 5 2500k overclocked to 4.4 and 3 hardrives, my asus 970 never go over 320 w. I have power meter, also my psu shows usage, it never went over 330.

• Advertisement

Well damn... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

970 is one damn sexy beast indeed. I am a bit torn on what to do. Get myself 970 and 2560x1080 monitor or get xbox one as xmas present... First world problems eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

500w is enough for almost any card. I've run 7850 Crossfire and r9 290 on the same 500w psu, no problems.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when they're buying a new self build is convincing themselves they need a 750w-800w PSU. You try and tell them that it's totally unnecessary and they sort of just want to cling onto it anyway. "I just want to future proof" is what I usually hear.

Even higher end gaming setups these days are anything between 300-400w consumption.

A build like a i5 and GTX750Ti, which performs well at 1080p, is only about 190w!

970 is one damn sexy beast indeed. I am a bit torn on what to do. Get myself 970 and 2560x1080 monitor or get xbox one as xmas present... First world problems eh?

Aw man, how is that even a choice? 970 + monitor all the way... =P

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

when is the 960 out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Does this make amd cards compelling again?
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2838939/amds-flagship-radeon-r9-290x-graphics-card-prices-cut-to-an-insanely-compelling-300.html?adbid=730514623687694&adbpl=fb&adbpr=165710583501437&cmpid=social34821777
    I'm not so sure. I'm loving the idea of a cool running electricity sipping gtx 970 card at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

500w is enough for almost any card. I've run 7850 Crossfire and r9 290 on the same 500w psu, no problems.

One of the biggest mistakes people make when they're buying a new self build is convincing themselves they need a 750w-800w PSU. You try and tell them that it's totally unnecessary and they sort of just want to cling onto it anyway. "I just want to future proof" is what I usually hear.

Even higher end gaming setups these days are anything between 300-400w consumption.

A build like a i5 and GTX750Ti, which performs well at 1080p, is only about 190w!

In my case it was not really about future proof but noise. Especially fan noise.
    The reason I bought my corsair ax860i is that as long as power usage is less than 40% the fan will not spin. So now if I will play any game psu fan won't start.
    Another thing, my asus 970 STRIX fans will not spin as long as the game is not demanding, or limited to vsync. So noise of 3 fans is gone at least.
    On top of this I have noctua fan on processor(overclocked to 4.4), so pc is fairly quiet. If only I could possibly make it quiter I would, but I don't think I can.
    I remember back in 2001 i made a bet with my mate and I said that in 2015 computers will make no noise, couldn't be any more wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I think the PowerColor Radeon R9 290 for €257.80 with the Geizhals discount on Hardwareversand sound like good value to me. Most of the performance and cheap enough.

• Advertisement

I think the PowerColor Radeon R9 290 for €257.80 with the Geizhals discount on Hardwareversand sound like good value to me. Most of the performance and cheap enough.

All the other models have come down in price too (as they needed, the 970 forced the price down), and that model is a cheaper aftermarket one.

I'd recommend the Trix model, or the Powercolor PCS, only a few quid more and far superior cooling.
    http://geizhals.de/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-tri-x-oc-11227-00-40g-a1048411.html
    http://geizhals.de/powercolor-radeon-r9-290-pcs-axr9-290-4gbd5-ppdhe-a1059569.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement