Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

deceit wrote: »
    Does this make amd cards compelling again?
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2838939/amds-flagship-radeon-r9-290x-graphics-card-prices-cut-to-an-insanely-compelling-300.html?adbid=730514623687694&adbpl=fb&adbpr=165710583501437&cmpid=social34821777
    I'm not so sure. I'm loving the idea of a cool running electricity sipping gtx 970 card at the moment.

What cpu would be good to pair with a 970 for a good economical power consumption to performance ratio?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Gumbi wrote: »
    All the other models have come down in price too (as they needed, the 970 forced the price down), and that model is a cheaper aftermarket one.

I'd recommend the Trix model, or the Powercolor PCS, only a few quid more and far superior cooling.
    http://geizhals.de/sapphire-radeon-r9-290-tri-x-oc-11227-00-40g-a1048411.html
    http://geizhals.de/powercolor-radeon-r9-290-pcs-axr9-290-4gbd5-ppdhe-a1059569.html
    What about 289 for the 290x
    http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-PowerColor-Radeon-R9-290X-TurboDuo-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_967533.html
    or 239 sterling for another :)
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-164-PC
    At these prices if I find a reference msi one I will have to pick it up as will be handy to have for future eyefinity games.
    Now I just have to get a gtx 970 for my itx rig first before I can start looking how to spend more cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What cpu would be good to pair with a 970 for a good economical power consumption to performance ratio?

Modern CPUs will downclock themselves to save power when idle. Most Intel CPUs nowadays are pretty efficient and are all much the same basically with differences in speed, cores and graphics. There's not really a whole lot of point in going for a lower clocked one to save power since it just means that it'll take longer to do a piece of work and consume the power anyway.

Ultra low voltage CPUs can save power but are generally low speeds too, so not an ideal match for games. You could get a decent board and lower the voltage yourself with a faster CPU. Or even try overclocking with keeping to voltage as low as possible.

You wouldn't be saving very much in the long run though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

deceit wrote: »
    Does this make amd cards compelling again?
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2838939/amds-flagship-radeon-r9-290x-graphics-card-prices-cut-to-an-insanely-compelling-300.html?adbid=730514623687694&adbpl=fb&adbpr=165710583501437&cmpid=social34821777
    I'm not so sure. I'm loving the idea of a cool running electricity sipping gtx 970 card at the moment.

I love the smell of price war in the morning!!! Who knows, maybe nvidia will budge as well. Then again nothing wrong with 290X.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

All going well have a buyer for my 7950's tomorrow,the price drop on AMD cards and the rise on Nvidia cards has me second guessing getting a 970.

Ill probably look to crossfire/sli down the line so im feeling the 970 would be the better choice as i wont have to replace current PSU. Bit annoying the way the 970 has gone up in price though. Gigabyte G1 gaming is now €360 on HWVS and about €380 on OCUK and Scan not including delivery. There over €400 on amazon. Thats a lot higher than they were launched at which is disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im thinking is there any other big games coming out between now and Christmas

Dragon age and Far Cry 4.

Anything else?

Headshot wrote: »
    Im thinking is there any other big games coming out between now and Christmas

Dragon age and Far Cry 4.

Anything else?

GTA V and Elite:Dangerous are another two that ill be having a look at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

GTA V isn't out this year though.

Oak76 wrote: »
    GTA V isn't out this year though.

Yeah forgot it was delayed:(

February i think it was moved too. Was announced today that it will support 4K and will also have a first person mode. Be interesting to see how a GTA game plays in first person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

first person to tie in with rift support Im guessing? could be very interesting

• Advertisement

That was my first thought as well,rift support. The article i read though says its in all next gen versions of the game though which would include PS4 and Xbox 1. That makes me think it might not be just for rift support on PC but hopefully rift support is a by product of adding it to the game.

Link to the article i was reading:
    www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-pc-gets-4k-support-and-first-person-mode/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I had heard about the rumoured release of 8gb 290Xs but I wasn't aware they were already out..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-353-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752

Gbear wrote: »
    I had heard about the rumoured release of 8gb 290Xs but I wasn't aware they were already out..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-353-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1752
    Too be honest unless its the same price or not much dearer its not really worth it. It only adds 1-2 fps in games so far over a standard 290x.
    A gtx 970/980 would be a better deal that one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

The gtx 970 and 980 8gb is meant to come out this month or early next month. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Gbear wrote: »

I had 2 of those bad boys. Only have one now. Regret selling the other thou

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The gtx 970 and 980 8gb is meant to come out this month or early next month. :)

I'm pretty sure those are grossly unsubstantiated rumours. They are pushed to their limits producing 4GB models as it is.

Gumbi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure those are grossly unsubstantiated rumours. They are pushed to their limits producing 4GB models as it is.

Well only time will tell, it may be just a rumour but still posting about it incase it isn't and people haven't heard about it. I'll leave it to the individuals to take from it as they please with their google searches. :)

Finding it hard to locate a gigabyte g1 970 at a reasonable price,anywhere that has it for circa €360 is out of stock:(

Have my heart set on the G1 because of the binning,backplate and any reviews ive seen have said it has some of the best cooling of any of the 970's. Especially the VRM's,as i going to playing at 1440p i really want the VRM's to be nice an cool.

If this keeps up i may just go with the MSI model with the new twin frozr cooler. No backplate though and VRM cooling is not as good as the G1:(

First world problems and all.....

EDIT: Anybody have feedback on mimdfactory on geizhals.de? I know a few here have used them just wondering was there any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Hardwareversand are much more on the ball with getting deliveries out these days. Transferred the money Monday morning and my PC arrived today, great turnaround. Guess it has to do a bit with them using UPS as well so that it's not sitting in Portlaoise for a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Anyone able to suggest why a PC wont boot from cdrom when you ask it to via boot order? Tried to install Win8.1 with the disc on a mate's computer but wont even try to boot from cd. Luckily I had made a bootable USB stick with the Win8.1 installation on it and was able to do use that.
    The dvd drive works from within the OS.

Anyone able to suggest why a PC wont boot from cdrom when you ask it to via boot order? Tried to install Win8.1 with the disc on a mate's computer but wont even try to boot from cd. Luckily I had made a bootable USB stick with the Win8.1 installation on it and was able to do use that.
    The dvd drive works from within the OS.
    I had a similar issue recently and it was to do with uefi security on some oem devices. I had to disable the security features in the bios to allow installs to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

According to netlinked its not true, zalman came out with a press release afterwords denying it.

Hardwareversand are much more on the ball with getting deliveries out these days. Transferred the money Monday morning and my PC arrived today, great turnaround. Guess it has to do a bit with them using UPS as well so that it's not sitting in Portlaoise for a day.

Say that to my motherboard...

UPS you say, my package looked like it had been dropped from altitude and then given a kick for good measure lol. Oh and this whole "Remote Area" bs, I swear, if I see it ever again I think I'll actually flip... Second time in a row I've received something that looked like it wasn't handled properly.

Last time was a case that was destroyed, the front of the case was smashed, the side panel beaten in and then the power switch very loose. I've made quite a... strong complaint to hardwareversand about UPS but that's probably just my misfortune. :(

Unless it's hardwareversand...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

EoinHef wrote: »
    Finding it hard to locate a gigabyte g1 970 at a reasonable price,anywhere that has it for circa €360 is out of stock:(

Have my heart set on the G1 because of the binning,backplate and any reviews ive seen have said it has some of the best cooling of any of the 970's. Especially the VRM's,as i going to playing at 1440p i really want the VRM's to be nice an cool.

If this keeps up i may just go with the MSI model with the new twin frozr cooler. No backplate though and VRM cooling is not as good as the G1:(

First world problems and all.....

EDIT: Anybody have feedback on mimdfactory on geizhals.de? I know a few here have used them just wondering was there any issues

OcUK have it for £289.99 on this week only offer. You also get a free game with it too which you can sell :)

Blitz17 wrote: »
    OcUK have it for £289.99 on this week only offer. You also get a free game with it too which you can sell :)

Would I not be right in saying that their delivery price makes up for the offer? I mean is it solely a deal because it has the game? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Somewhat off-topic..

I'm running a Plex Server on my desktop which will more than likely be in use whenever I leave the house. Is there any way to ensure that my computer can not be turned off while I am logged on? Obviously besides yanking the plug or holding the button..

I mean some sort of application or registry tweak or something, that will not allow the shutdown function while my account is logged on. My Dad has a habit of shutting it down when he goes to bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Would I not be right in saying that their delivery price makes up for the offer? I mean is it solely a deal because it has the game? :P

Just check and it works out to be alot more expensive inc. postage and the VAT @ 23% as opposed to 20% on their website.

Danger781 wrote: »
    Somewhat off-topic..

I'm running a Plex Server on my desktop which will more than likely be in use whenever I leave the house. Is there any way to ensure that my computer can not be turned off while I am logged on? Obviously besides yanking the plug or holding the button..

I mean some sort of application or registry tweak or something, that will not allow the shutdown function while my account is logged on. My Dad has a habit of shutting it down when he goes to bed...

You mean like this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/128920-shut-down-computer-allow-prevent-users-groups.html

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Reading it now and it looks exactly like what I need.. Nice one :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement