Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Just check and it works out to be alot more expensive inc. postage and the VAT @ 23% as opposed to 20% on their website.

Yeah it works out quite expensive from OCUK,considering the price they originally came out at its quite disappointing. The 970 is not the quite the brilliant proposition it once was with the mark up thats gone on them recently. Can get 290X's now for a good bit cheaper now. I plan to sli/cf down the road so dont really want 2 power hungry 290X's.

Mindfactory.de are also doing the free games and have the card for €346 plus about €10 for delivery from what i can figure out with my limited german. I might just chance them,i think a few here have bought from them before. Link for anyone interested.

www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-970-Gaming-G1-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_976945

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah it works out quite expensive from OCUK,considering the price they originally came out at its quite disappointing. The 970 is not the quite the brilliant proposition it once was with the mark up thats gone on them recently. Can get 290X's now for a good bit cheaper now. I plan to sli/cf down the road so dont really want 2 power hungry 290X's.

Mindfactory.de are also doing the free games and have the card for €346 plus about €10 for delivery from what i can figure out with my limited german. I might just chance them,i think a few here have bought from them before. Link for anyone interested

www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-970-Gaming-G1-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_976945.html

I'll be very interested to see it go's for you. If they're decent, I think I'll buy from them in the future. I had a lot of dialogue with hardwareversand through their facebook page last week and it was decent. Contacted them today, they saw my message and never replied, a bit put out by that. Makes me wonder if they just ignore emails.

I'll be very interested to see it go's for you. If they're decent, I think I'll buy from them in the future. I had a lot of dialogue with hardwareversand through their facebook page last week and it was decent. Contacted them today, they saw my message and never replied, a bit put out by that. Makes me wonder if they just ignore emails.

Only thing thats stopping me going ahead is my terrible german,makes it more difficult to use the site.

EDIT:Its actually back in stock on HWVS,must have only come back in today. Tempted to just order it now with online banking. They usually have the games aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Mindfactory.de are also doing the free games and have the card for €346 plus about €10 for delivery from what i can figure out with my limited german. I might just chance them,i think a few here have bought from them before. Link for anyone interested.

www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/4096MB-Gigabyte-GeForce-GTX-970-Gaming-G1-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_976945

Mindfactory shipping is €29.99 Im sure

Blitz17 wrote: »
    Mindfactory shipping is €29.99 Im sure

Thanks man,i thought that option was some sort of express delivery!!

Im gonna just order it on HWVS tonight while its in stock

• Advertisement

Thanks man,i thought that option was some sort of express delivery!!

Im gonna just order it on HWVS tonight while its in stock

Oh, I didn't know you just wanted it to be in stock, it has been in stock since about 7a.m.

Oh, I didn't know you just wanted it to be in stock, it has been in stock since about 7a.m.

I was looking to get it cheaper as well but delivery of €30 would make it the same price as HWVS. At €370 including delivery its the cheapest i can find

Yeah, everywhere else charges 30 euro for shipping. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads, if I was sinking in 300 quid to a GFX card for Christmas, what should I be looking at? I got a 280x before and had to send it back and since then I've been plugging away with a HD5850.

marko93 wrote: »
    Lads, if I was sinking in 300 quid to a GFX card for Christmas, what should I be looking at? I got a 280x before and had to send it back and since then I've been plugging away with a HD5850.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/4096+MB/150732/Sapphire+Radeon+R9+290+Tri-X+OC+mit+MANTLE+und+Gaming+Evolved+Client%2C+4GB+GDDR5%2C+2x+DVI%2C+HDMI%2C+DisplayPort%2Cfull+retail.article

There'll be a bit of money off after you put it through www.Geizhals.de

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

here as well for 280-ish delivered.

I'll look into that, thanks!

This was the card I ordered that crapped out
    Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Toxic OC 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Card

You're welcome, Terror's link is also good for about the same price if you want it faster. :)

How was overclockers.co.uk support?

You're welcome, Terror's link is also good for about the same price if you want it faster. :)

How was overclockers.co.uk support?

Faster is always good, right? :p

Ehmm, it took a while to get the ball rolling and they weren't very speedy on replies via email. In saying that, in the end I got a full refund (excl delivery) including the costs for me to send it back. (30ish quid if I recall correctly) I'd have no problem with them in future though.

Faster is always good, right? :p

Ehmm, it took a while to get the ball rolling and they weren't very speedy on replies via email. In saying that, in the end I got a full refund (excl delivery) including the costs for me to send it back. (30ish quid if I recall correctly) I'd have no problem with them in future though.

In most cases! ;)

Well that's good to hear, I was planning on ordering from them in the future, thanks for the info. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Is there a way that I can remote access my PC without being logged on? i.e. Call home, tell someone to turn on the PC, and then I can control it from the logon screen.

The option I'm using at the moment is Chrome Remote Desktop, but that only works while I am logged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Danger781 wrote: »
    Is there a way that I can remote access my PC without being logged on? i.e. Call home, tell someone to turn on the PC, and then I can control it from the logon screen.

The option I'm using at the moment is Chrome Remote Desktop, but that only works while I am logged in.

Wake on lan

Team viewer has a wake on lan feature iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a router with DDWRT or Tomato, then you can have your router wake it as needed. Assuming its on ethernet. WOL doesnt work so well on wifi. AKA at all.

Headshot wrote: »
    Wake on lan

Team viewer has a wake on lan feature iirc

I'll look into TeamViewer, nice one. Will that still work despite the fact I am not logged on? I assumed it would need to be running..
    ED E wrote: »
    Get a router with DDWRT or Tomato, then you can have your router wake it as needed. Assuming its on ethernet. WOL doesnt work so well on wifi. AKA at all.

I've heard about flashing Tomato or DDWRT, but I assume it is not possible with UPC equipment. I imagine I'd need to sort out a bridge?

I've heard about flashing Tomato or DDWRT, but I assume it is not possible with UPC equipment. I imagine I'd need to sort out a bridge?

Yeah, you'd need to bridge to something a bit less **** alright.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you'd need to bridge to something a bit less **** alright.

So. Much. Effort.

I'll look into it though, nice one. Probably better for myself in the long run if I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Looking for a gaming headset or desk microphone in Dublin and I need it before Friday.
    Currently looking at Maplins Logitech G230 or an Asus Cerberus.
    I cant really find any desktop microphones I like the look of on there.

Anyone have any ideas for a walk in shop in Dublin?

Amazon prime trial = 1 day shipping for UK or two days for here. Order now and you should get it in time.

I just dread the thought of giving maplin a red cent...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I know its blasphemous to suggest pc world but they usually have decent headsets at not over the top prices. I always get a 300 one 4 all voucher for xmas and usually get headsets and stuff in their.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This looks like borderline con-artistry:
    http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/76833-gigabyte-launches-geforce-gtx-980-waterforce-tri-sli/

Gigabyte's liquid cooled 3-SLI GTX 980s.

It costs $3k. Really don't see the point.
    Either you'd have your own water cooling for everything and get yourself a couple of 980's or you'd wait for the R9 300 series, 990 or Titan-x.

It doesn't seem to have a niche other than gob****es with more money than sense.

Gbear wrote: »
    This looks like borderline con-artistry:
    http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/76833-gigabyte-launches-geforce-gtx-980-waterforce-tri-sli/

Gigabyte's liquid cooled 3-SLI GTX 980s.

It costs k. Really don't see the point.
    Either you'd have your own water cooling for everything and get yourself a couple of 980's or you'd wait for the R9 300 series, 990 or Titan-x.

It doesn't seem to have a niche other than gob****es with more money than sense.

Know a guy who knows a guy who bought a Titan on credit just before the 780Ti's hit. Still paying it off I believe. Maybe once he's finished he might go for this.

Amazon prime trial = 1 day shipping for UK or two days for here. Order now and you should get it in time.

I just dread the thought of giving maplin a red cent...

This is a very good idea.

Have to say HWVS and bank transfer payment can be a right pain in the hole!!

Item in stock on friday so ordered with online banking,payment received tuesday,by then item out of stock and no delivery date:(

Think i may have to change my order,getting a bit impatient now!

First world problems and all...

Anybody changed an order with them? Ordered a whole system awhile ago and forgot extra fans,emailed them about 5 time in 4 days to get them to add the fans to the order and id send more money. Didnt get one reply:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Have to say HWVS and bank transfer payment can be a right pain in the hole!!

Item in stock on friday so ordered with online banking,payment received tuesday,by then item out of stock and no delivery date:(

Think i may have to change my order,getting a bit impatient now!

First world problems and all...

Anybody changed an order with them? Ordered a whole system awhile ago and forgot extra fans,emailed them about 5 time in 4 days to get them to add the fans to the order and id send more money. Didnt get one reply:(
    They are crap for emails. 3 or 4 days at least. I would call them and that should get you sorted.

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    They are crap for emails. 3 or 4 days at least. I would call them and that should get you sorted.

Yeah i think i might do that tomorrow,its just unfortunate the payments usually take a day or two to process. I was dithering between two items anyway and the other one has just come into stock now. Having no PC is starting to get on my nerves:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement