Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah i think i might do that tomorrow,its just unfortunate the payments usually take a day or two to process. I was dithering between two items anyway and the other one has just come into stock now. Having no PC is starting to get on my nerves:(

If you make the order when they're in stock they keep them to the side and then you just have to pay. - That's what happened in my situation anyway.

Btw, If you want to contact them go to:

https://www.facebook.com/hardwareversand.de?fref=ts

They ignored a message I sent twice and didn't reply for two days but they contacted me this morning and shipped my pc back from Germany. If you were to actually post to the page I noticed they fairly get a move on then. Be sure to include your order number. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

There should be a place to comment on sales thread separate from it like the bargain comments section.
    Really need to point out that the last posters ads can be gotten for the same price or less new.
    Memoryc have 2tb faster drives for 77 new in stock and 67.85 for ones that are out of stock.
    Also they have 32gb class 10 Adata sd cards for 13.78 which are better than pny.
    Memoryc are free shipping also.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

deceit wrote: »
    There should be a place to comment on sales thread separate from it like the bargain comments section.
    Really need to point out that the last posters ads can be gotten for the same price or less new.
    Memoryc have 2tb faster drives for 77 new in stock and 67.85 for ones that are out of stock.
    Also they have 32gb class 10 Adata sd cards for 13.78 which are better than pny.
    Memoryc are free shipping also.

Its considered spoiling by adverts and is against the rules, so boards may follow a similar vein. Also asking != sale price, I assume he expects to be low balled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

ED E wrote: »
    Its considered spoiling by adverts and is against the rules, so boards may follow a similar vein. Also asking != sale price, I assume he expects to be low balled.
    I looked at the sd card option, someone offered 10, considering 13 for a better one new or 15 for one incl free delivery its a pretty good offer so I don't think that's the case.
    Someone else is selling the same hd's for 45 also.
    I wouldn't consider it spoiling the advert as its completely separate from the add by two hops.
    First off its on a separate site and then its on a section that's separate from where the person posted up the link to the ad so people would have to go check or ask if its a good deal.
    I should check with Solitaire to see if its allowed to add this post, if not I will remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Will prices on parts go down after Christmas do ye reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Kells... wrote: »
    Will prices on parts go down after Christmas do ye reckon?

Only the older ones. Really the only prices that drop are for parts that are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If you make the order when they're in stock they keep them to the side and then you just have to pay. - That's what happened in my situation anyway.

Btw, If you want to contact them go to:

https://www.facebook.com/hardwareversand.de?fref=ts

They ignored a message I sent twice and didn't reply for two days but they contacted me this morning and shipped my pc back from Germany. If you were to actually post to the page I noticed they fairly get a move on then. Be sure to include your order number. :P

Unfortunately they didnt put it aside this time,i know they do that for builds,they put parts aside while waiting for others to come into stock but on a single item im pretty sure they dont reserve it till money has been paid. Fair enough really with the way there system works.

Im just getting impatient,im going through withdrawal symptoms,ive only been playing grainy ass low res PS4 games and i need a high res 60fps fix:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its a bit of a grey area tbh, may need to check this myself but AFAIK if deceit's post could be construed as a remote thread spoil then by the same logic any discussion about bargains anywhere on Boards.ie would also be against the rules as it would technically be a remote spoil of something somewhere on Adverts... :o:P

I'd say the odd comment of this nature in here is probably safe enough to avoid starting a ruckus, but putting it in the bargain thread or making a separate thread primarily for posts of such a nature would soon cause issues, and as for the listings themselves... sadly while I dislike the way in which threadspoil can be used as an excuse to shut down any form of criticism of sale listings on Adverts its also a bit ridiculous to expect a seller to be aware of every single discount on the items they are selling at any point of time for the duration of the listing. While queries and some other issues should be discussed on a listing discounts being posted onto listings has a habit of turning a thread into a massive argument and an equally massive headache and waste of time for the Adverts mods.

While some may see it as unfair, blind-buying anything online is the same as walking into a shop and buying xyz without checking any other stores first, you can't really blame others for missing a bargain :o After all you don't see Lidl's current special offers posted on a big board inside Tesco do you? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Solitaire wrote: »

He awakes from slumber! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

EoinHef wrote: »
    Unfortunately they didnt put it aside this time,i know they do that for builds,they put parts aside while waiting for others to come into stock but on a single item im pretty sure they dont reserve it till money has been paid. Fair enough really with the way there system works.

Im just getting impatient,im going through withdrawal symptoms,ive only been playing grainy ass low res PS4 games and i need a high res 60fps fix:pac:

I know that feeling. I was gaming on a gt210 until about a month ago, dat 800x600 res was amazing! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKfdD0JJOME - Pretty impressive I must say! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I know that feeling. I was gaming on a gt210 until about a month ago, dat 800x600 res was amazing! :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKfdD0JJOME - Pretty impressive I must say! :P

That resolution scale option in BF4 really brings back the nostalgic memories of days long past of running PC games at 320x240 on a 19" monitor....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Do extra case fans make much of a difference with temps?

I currently have my CPU cooler on backwards (so it blows all the hot air at my GPU :o) so I'll be reseating that, tidying my case up a bit and starting some overclocking when I get a few new bits and bobs around december.

I have a Corsair 500r.
    As things stand I have one exhaust fan, two fans in the front and one big fan at the side. I presume the 3 small ones are 120mm and the big one is 200+.

There's a slot on top of the case for 2 more 120mm fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Gbear wrote: »
    I currently have my CPU cooler on backwards (so it blows all the hot air at my GPU :o

I did the same thing.. but worse

My case air flow was going one way while the CPU fan was going the opposite. As you can imagine that isn't ideal for temps! So, in my attempt to fix it I battled with one of the fans to try and turn it around so air would be going the correct direction. That day I developed my hatred for rubber screws. Noticed temps were very high so I checked it again. I had taken off the wrong fan so the two fans were blowing at each other. All the hot air in my case was being sucked into the CPU :o

Sigh.. So I fixed the fan which brought me back to step one, so I thought it'd be best to rotate the entire cooler. It was at this point I learned of the wizardry that is cooling paste. That stuff is like fecking super glue. So I did a bit of research on how to remove it and it turns out it becomes a bit more versatile when you heat it up. I turned on the PC and booted into BIOS to let the CPU heat up where I could monitor temps. When it reached 30 or so I started slowly twisting the fan to loosen it up. When I felt it was loose I gave it a light tug.. and, well, the cooler did come off.. but it brought the CPU with it. Yup, I had just ripped the CPU from it's socket while the computer was powered on. I am a smart man.

That was only the beginning of my troubles though! The CPU was still stuck to the cooler! Eventually after quite a bit of trouble I managed to slide them away from each other.. At this point I realised why people kept insisting I would need rubbing alcohol. Thermal Paste. Everywhere. All over my hands. All over the CPU. Got some on my clothes. Logically the best thing to do was to grab a box of tissues. Yup, I cleaned off my CPU with a box of tissues.

Once the CPU and I were all cleaned up, I slotted it back in, fought with the cooler to get it back onto the motherboard, powered her up and we both lived happily ever after.

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Danger781 wrote: »
    I did the same thing.. but worse

My case air flow was going one way while the CPU fan was going the opposite. As you can imagine that isn't ideal for temps! So, in my attempt to fix it I battled with one of the fans to try and turn it around so air would be going the correct direction. That day I developed my hatred for rubber screws. Noticed temps were very high so I checked it again. I had taken off the wrong fan so the two fans were blowing at each other. All the hot air in my case was being sucked into the CPU :o

Sigh.. So I fixed the fan which brought me back to step one, so I thought it'd be best to rotate the entire cooler. It was at this point I learned of the wizardry that is cooling paste. That stuff is like fecking super glue. So I did a bit of research on how to remove it and it turns out it becomes a bit more versatile when you heat it up. I turned on the PC and booted into BIOS to let the CPU heat up where I could monitor temps. When it reached 30 or so I started slowly twisting the fan to loosen it up. When I felt it was loose I gave it a light tug.. and, well, the cooler did come off.. but it brought the CPU with it. Yup, I had just ripped the CPU from it's socket while the computer was powered on. I am a smart man.

That was only the beginning of my troubles though! The CPU was still stuck to the cooler! Eventually after quite a bit of trouble I managed to slide them away from each other.. At this point I realised why people kept insisting I would need rubbing alcohol. Thermal Paste. Everywhere. All over my hands. All over the CPU. Got some on my clothes. Logically the best thing to do was to grab a box of tissues. Yup, I cleaned off my CPU with a box of tissues.

Once the CPU and I were all cleaned up, I slotted it back in, fought with the cooler to get it back onto the motherboard, powered her up and we both lived happily ever after.

The end.

I had a similar lesson wrought of my own stupidity.

I was screwing something in in my PC (a fan or something) and I dropped a screw onto my brand new motherboard while the PC was turned on.
    Needless to say it sparked and caught fire.

Surprisingly just blowing on it to stop the fire and forcing a shutdown stopped it without doing any harm. It was at the back towards the IO panel so I think I might've zapped one of the USB ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Shaun Plays Games

Maybe its the wrong thread but has anyone bought a pc from eDesigner? Just looking for some feedback for a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

So returned my AX1200 to Corsair the other week. Without a receipt might I add. I showed other receipts from other corsair stuff I had bought including a couple of PSU's and they were happy with that.

So anyway this arrived in the post yesterday. Was kinda hoping it would happen......

328307.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Are you planning on powering up 2.5 Deathstars? :pac:

I have an even better PSU story.

Bought a power supply off a guy for €10 with a few other things. It didn't work properly, he said he'd call around and give me a replacement he knew was working.

What did he turn up with this morning?

EGX1000EWL-00_LB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have an even better PSU story.

Bought a power supply off a guy for €10 with a few other things. It didn't work properly, he said he'd call around and give me a replacement he knew was working.

What did he turn up with this morning?

EGX1000EWL-00_LB.jpg

Guys, I know we build our own PCs and all, but looks like I might invest in to Laptop soon enough.

If I remember right latest hd4000 and AMD APUs became really amazing when it comes to budget gaming performance.
    I am not looking for gaming laptop. I just need a laptop that I could use as HTPC in bedroom and living room and just use it as an actual Laptop now and then. The thing is, I would love to be able to run something like WoW, EVE online, Diablo 3 or some other smaller/simplier game. By the looks of it these new integrated GPUs can really do a nice job to run stuff like that.

Any ideas where I could have a look at some laptops? Or usual suspects like amazon is the best bet? ( thing is amazon is really **** with descriptions )

• Advertisement

Rule of thumb I use is for the same money its either
    Intel: stronger cpu weaker gpu
    Amd: weaker cpu stronger gpu

Assuming you don't buy v low spec. Think I had a good price on an asus, will try and find the link.

SickBoy wrote: »

Hooked it up earlier to test it out and still can't find the motivation to install it properly.

Funny though because I was thinking of going r9 290 crossfire but my 750w psu was a bit tight...then this falls into my lap.

328354.jpg

@shadowhearth

Something like this is decent enough for about 550.

I had a 17" laptop with the GT740m and I was able to play BF4 at 1600x900 medium settings at good FPS.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Shadow this still applies. Its a beast of a budget laptop. Playing CoD Ghosts on medium settings 60ish FPS no problemo. Runs most other games fairly well. Only game that struggles so far is ACIV which runs at about 25-30fps.

It's come down in price since my original post too :D

€135 for a second 7870 to go CF, plus a new psu. Am I crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads, question about the Tri-X. How long will it last in terms of 1080p gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

marko93 wrote: »
    Lads, question about the Tri-X. How long will it last in terms of 1080p gaming?

Trix 290? A long long time. That card can manage 1440p resolutions too handily enough. You'll easily get an 1100 - 1150 mhz overclock out of it too, and maybe 1500mhz on the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Gumbi wrote: »
    Trix 290? A long long time. That card can manage 1440p resolutions too handily enough. You'll easily get an 1100 - 1150 mhz overclock out of it too, and maybe 1500mhz on the memory.

Oh sweet! I'll hold out for a few weeks before I pull the trigger.

Would this card be better than say a 780Ti?

A quick google quickly revealed no, it wouldn't be better, it also showed it wouldn't wreck my wallet either.

Shadow this still applies. Its a beast of a budget laptop. Playing CoD Ghosts on medium settings 60ish FPS no problemo. Runs most other games fairly well. Only game that struggles so far is ACIV which runs at about 25-30fps.

Damn, this looks good! With Delivery it Works out about 370eu?

I really love the Idea of buying laptops with no OS!

So I guess 840m is a pretty solid Laptop GPU?

€135 for a second 7870 to go CF, plus a new psu. Am I crazy?

Yes... :P

New card 135eu
    Sell old card 80eu
    PSU 70eu

Surely 280eu could buy you some decent GPU.

• Advertisement

This looks like a good deal too. Would it be worth it though. I presume i5 would give a nice boost for games. Even my buddy now interested.

This would work out 500eu delivered.
    http://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Notebook-GeForce-Betriebssystem-schwarz/dp/B00KCJAIMO/ref=psdc1_t1_B00KCJACNY_B00KCJAIMO#productDetails

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement