Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

z0oT wrote: »
    Not suprising given the reason, Trump's tarrifs were always going to hurt US companies.

I wonder are others like Corsair or Cooler Master suffering as a result.

A lot of companies are going to move their remaining manufacturing out of the US as a result or close down. No other options, you can't run a business when there is a chance a moron can increase supply chain costs by 50%+ cause "trades deals are bad".

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

A lot of companies are going to move their remaining manufacturing out of the US as a result or close down. No other options, you can't run a business when there is a chance a moron can increase supply chain costs by 50%+ cause "trades deals are bad".

The killer is that even if you personally can, you're at increased risk of one of your suppliers not being able to. That means you're going to have to hold more inventory to manage the risk, and deal with more variation when you replace them.

So not only do you get higher consumer costs, but less efficient businesses and a less reliable/lower quality end product. It's almost 101 of what not to do to help manufacturing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I9-9900k to hit 4.7GHz on all cores
    Anyone want to buy a good,barely used lung? Need $$$ for upgrade to I9 and gtx 20xx.

So the 2990WX(32 Core Threadripper) reviews are out and the end result is that its a CPU monster but really handicapped in memory intensive workloads due to two of the dies having no direct memory access. Which means it comes with a serious caveat and that is not a good business move. A lot of people are going to purchase this chip for 1600 quid and get pissed off when a 1950x or 2950x would outperform for their workloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I bought my Gateway a year after that and the specs were massively improved

P3 500Mhz
    128mb Ram
    13Gb HDD
    16mb Voodoo 3 3000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Inviere wrote: »
    Whats the predicted price range for that thing?

WCCFTech are saying US$450 for the i9, but they're not a reliable source.

Edit: D'oh, that's the same link you quoted :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

when is the intel 9 series due out?

Redfox25 wrote: »
    when is the intel 9 series due out?

October? Wccftech wrote 1st October, as far I can see all other sites write the same date.
    I hope that with launch the price of 8700k will go down, whats funny I think it went up like 20£ in last couple of days. Was certain that I saw it for 290ish £.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Before I sell it elsewhere, does anyone have any interest in Far Cry 5 for a decent price? Looking at Kinguin it's still around €40, and I'd take €15. You'll probably need my purchase details to redeem it as it was a promo, so probably prefer someone here rather than some random person on adverts.

Also have a pack promo code for the upcoming Assassins Creed, Strange Brigade and Star Control (came with Vega 64) - would do the triple for 30 for anyone here? I think they're about €120 new.

• Advertisement

Also have a pack promo code for the upcoming Assassins Creed, Strange Brigade and Star Control (came with Vega 64) - would do the triple for 30 for anyone here? I think they're about €120 new.

I'd be interested in those @30 Terror. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if that is the Aorus code for FC5 it may be tied to your account as I had to confirm my email address when redeeming as you do it through a web link as opposed to UPlay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

L wrote: »
    I'd be interested in those @30 Terror. Cheers.

Cool, shoot me a PM.
    if that is the Aorus code for FC5 it may be tied to your account as I had to confirm my email address when redeeming as you do it through a web link as opposed to UPlay

Ah, fair enough. It's hit and miss with promos....some require basic info, some make you jump through the seven circles of hell because god forbid you'd want to give them to someone else! Though again through this forum I don't mind sharing details like that with regulars, when I know they're not going to pull a stunt.

Always found Far Cry really boring personally, first and second game were good but I just can't get onboard with 3, 4 and 5....find them really samey and repetitive compared to something like Fallout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If i was looking to sell the below on adverts what sort of ball park should i be looking at:

Hyper 212 Evo
    8gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengence LPX Ram
    AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
    Corsair HX 750W Gold PSU
    Coolermaster HAF 912

All in good nick and will be givin a good clean.

Bonus in work has been delayed,and thats what im using to buy the new PC parts so gonna wait till October for the launch of the 9th gen Intel stuff to pull the trigger so im thinking might get this stuff all sold between now and then.
    It will leave me with no PC but for the sake of not having overlap i think it will work better for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote:
    3570K Hyper 212 Evo 8gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengence LPX Ram AsRock Z77 Extreme 4
    PC Twins :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    PC Twins :)

January 2013 i built mine,im guessing a similar time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looks like Nvidia will be announcing the GTX/RTX 2080 next week.

Looks like Nvidia will be announcing the GTX/RTX 2080 next week.

Seems they've already announced the Quadro RTX at a tradeshow today. So I'd say it's a fair cop that we'll see the 2080 announcement on the 20th.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-unveils-turing-architecture-providing-a-glimpse-inside-the-next-geforce-cards/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

So the 2990WX(32 Core Threadripper) reviews are out and the end result is that its a CPU monster but really handicapped in memory intensive workloads due to two of the dies having no direct memory access. Which means it comes with a serious caveat and that is not a good business move. A lot of people are going to purchase this chip for 1600 quid and get pissed off when a 1950x or 2950x would outperform for their workloads.
    It really needs a heavily threaded workload that isn't sensitive to memory or PCIe access because of that issue, when that's not an issue the numbers are extremely impressive, rendering being an example. I gather the Epyc Server stuff doesn't suffer from that issue.

I wonder what'll Intel answer it with? The biggest Xeon they have currently is the 28C/56T 8180M Platimum.They likely have higher core Xeons planned, but whether they'll bring them to the desktop is another issue.

https://ark.intel.com/products/120498/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180M-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_50-GHz

Regardless it's nice to see the envelope getting pushed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

z0oT wrote: »
    It really needs a heavily threaded workload that isn't sensitive to memory or PCIe access because of that issue, when that's not an issue the numbers are extremely impressive, rendering being an example. I gather the Epyc Server stuff doesn't suffer from that issue.

I wonder what'll Intel answer it with? The biggest Xeon they have currently is the 28C/56T 8180M Platimum.They likely have higher core Xeons planned, but whether they'll bring them to the desktop is another issue.

https://ark.intel.com/products/120498/Intel-Xeon-Platinum-8180M-Processor-38_5M-Cache-2_50-GHz

Regardless it's nice to see the envelope getting pushed again.

Think Linus said it well at the end of his review. 32c/64t is a very small market but the fact that AMD went and built it means that someone will eventually have a use case for it and it puts pressure on Intel to try and come up with something to match it/better it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

EoinHef wrote: »
    January 2013 i built mine,im guessing a similar time?

March 2013 :)

will56 wrote: »
    Think Linus said it well at the end of his review. 32c/64t is a very small market but the fact that AMD went and built it means that someone will eventually have a use case for it and it puts pressure on Intel to try and come up with something to match it/better it

The same situation is with server processors, Intel again delayed 10mm to 2019. Its a good chance for AMD to gain a piece of cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Anyone know a good alternative to Skype for making calls to phones?

Since moving to Discord, it's the only thing I use Skype for, so if there was a lightweight, stand-alone application that allowed me to load credit, and make calls from my computer using my headset, that would be ideal.

Serephucus wrote: »

Since moving to Discord, it's the only thing I use Skype for, so if there was a lightweight, stand-alone application that allowed me to load credit, and make calls from my computer using my headset, that would be ideal.

I kept using Skype myself for calls and VOIP (the infrastructure behind it makes it a bit more reliable) but apparently there's decent functionality for it in google hangouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Line maybe

Hangouts worked like a charm!

When you first try call someone you'll get a message about credit, with a link to top up, which bring you to Google Voice (which AFAIK, doesn't work here). You add money to that, and hey presto.

The only thing is that the rates are nowhere near as good as Skype. Landline is about 2.5c/m, mobile about 10c/m.
    Not sure what Skype's rates are exactly, but last time I looked they were fractions of a cent.

The only thing is that the rates are nowhere near as good as Skype. Landline is about 2.5c/m, mobile about 10c/m.
    Not sure what Skype's rates are exactly, but last time I looked they were fractions of a cent.

That's not that far off Skype's - 2.4c and 10.6c. (Link is down the bottom of this page - can't link directly)

Damn. If no idea Skype had gotten that expensive. Hangouts it is so!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Might be worth seeing if you can top up hangouts through the play store using unused phone credit if you happen to have a pay as you go phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Some help please lads.

My sons pc is acting up and I'm ready to boot it out the window. It's an msi z97s board, sometimes when it's starting it double beeps and hangs with the error code A2 which apparently means hardrive issues. Disconnect the hdd and leave the ssd in and it starts up. Reconnect the hdd and it goes back to sometimes starting and sometimes not. Ran a test with crystal disk and it says they're both fine but we added a new one just in case and the problem persists even with the old one disconnected.

I've also tried different sata cables and different sata ports. Anything else I can do?

superg wrote: »
    Some help please lads.

My sons pc is acting up and I'm ready to boot it out the window. It's an msi z97s board, sometimes when it's starting it double beeps and hangs with the error code A2 which apparently means hardrive issues. Disconnect the hdd and leave the ssd in and it starts up. Reconnect the hdd and it goes back to sometimes starting and sometimes not. Ran a test with crystal disk and it says they're both fine but we added a new one just in case and the problem persists even with the old one disconnected.

I've also tried different sata cables and different sata ports. Anything else I can do?

Different sata ports off the same block?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Try a PCIe sata adapter as it sounds like there is a problem with your sata ports.

Different sata ports off the same block?

There's two blocks. Port 1 and 2 are on one and the other 4 are on a different one. Both SSD and the original HDD are in Port 1 and 2 but I moved the HDD to port 3 on the other block while testing and it was still happening. Also tried the new one in port 3 with the original not connected.

I had both HDDs connected when the new one came so one in port 2 and one in port 3, had to remove both to get it to boot to windows from the SSD in port 1 but as I say, sometimes it will boot with them all connected, it still gives the double beep but it doesn't hang on the error code.
    Try a PCIe sata adapter as it sounds like there is a problem with your sata ports.

Don't think I have one.

superg wrote: »

Don't think I have one.

They are only cheap worth investing just to see if issue resolves itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Maybe the hardrive has an old boot partition in it somewhere causing issues?/switch the boot load order.

• Advertisement

They are only cheap worth investing just to see if issue resolves itself.

Yeah I'll have to.
    RossieMan wrote:
    Maybe the hardrive has an old boot partition in it somewhere causing issues?/switch the boot load order.

Shouldn't be, the SSD was always the boot drive since I built it and the HDD just storage but I'll check.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Minor smell of smoke about an hour ago followed by my PC turning off. Turns out the CPU fan on the Cooler Master 212 has had its last spin so temporarily replaced an Arctic F12 and up and running again. Only concern is that it is a slightly lower spec (74cfm vs 93cfm) 3 pin fan, really just meant as a case fan. What would people here recommend as a decent 120mm 4 pin fan for attaching to a CPU heatsink, and once you've got a 4 pin PWM fan is there any difference between a case fan and heatsink mounded CPU fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

smacl wrote: »
    Minor smell of smoke about an hour ago followed by my PC turning off. Turns out the CPU fan on the Cooler Master 212 has had its last spin so temporarily replaced an Arctic F12 and up and running again. Only concern is that it is a slightly lower spec (74cfm vs 93cfm) 3 pin fan, really just meant as a case fan. What would people here recommend as a decent 120mm 4 pin fan for attaching to a CPU heatsink, and once you've got a 4 pin PWM fan is there any difference between a case fan and heatsink mounded CPU fan?
    I always recommend Noctua.

You can pick up NF-P12 Redux 1700 for 13-14 euro.

If it breaks within its 6-year warranty, Noctua will replace it for free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I always recommend Noctua.

You can pick up NF-P12 Redux 1700 for 13-14 euro.

If it breaks within its 6-year warranty, Noctua will replace it for free.

Cheers, ordered up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

4 X 1080ti appeared on adverts the last two days, I guess with the new cards pending release. Cheapest asking price €659 so far for anybody looking to pick one up secondhand. Not sure how good a deal they are at this stage, guess it will depend on price/performance of the new cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Looking to upgrade my desk from a standard 1m Linmmon table top from IKEA.

I'm space limited so I'm looking at either a 1200mm or 1400mm wide x 600mm deep table top. With one or two IKEA Alex units at the ends for storage.

I've invested in a monitor arm wirh desk clamp and I am a bit worried about the hollow IKEA table tops breaking. Does anyone have any experience with building a desk and where to find an alternative top?

Are the IKEA hollow IKEA desks strong enough for a clamp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

jebidiah wrote: »

I'm space limited so I'm looking at either a 1200mm or 1400mm wide x 600mm deep table top. With one or two IKEA Alex units at the ends for storage.

I've invested in a monitor arm wirh desk clamp and I am a bit worried about the hollow IKEA table tops breaking. Does anyone have any experience with building a desk and where to find an alternative top?

You could try on of their counter tops, a little over 600mm deep, by I would imagine they are quite a bit stronger than the desks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

They're not really. After a while they cave in. However, a solution is to get a couple of small cheap shelves in woodies or wherever (or even a couple of flat pieces of waste wood) and put them under and on top of the desk and put the clamp on them to distribute the weight better.

I have a Linmmon desk and it's 750mm deep and 1500mm wide. You must have the small version?

Edit : Just noticed that you stated that. I have monitor, monitor stand and hi fi separates with turntable on mine and it's steady as a rock. I have an Alex beside the desk for the PC.

They're not really. After a while they cave in. However, a solution is to get a couple of small cheap shelves in woodies or wherever (or even a couple of flat pieces of waste wood) and put them under and on top of the desk and put the clamp on them to distribute the weight better.

Good plan - to add to this, pine deal plank is pretty cheap as well at most hardware stores and they'll even cut it to measure for you.

I have a Linmmon desk and it's 750mm deep and 1500mm wide. You must have the small version?

Edit : Just noticed that you stated that. I have monitor, monitor stand and hi fi separates with turntable on mine and it's steady as a rock. I have an Alex beside the desk for the PC.

I saw you recent post in the pictures thread. I'm not worried about loading the desk as such. More about the load of the monitor being mounted on this desk clamp mount.

I get the feeling sustained weight on one small area of a hollow desk might lead to it buckling. Like this

I'd say you wouldn't get any buckling for quite a long time. If you're worried about that then just get an extra set of legs and mount to the middle. Those single monitor arms are usually quite light so it would only be the weight of the monitor that would really matter.

Would you not just get a monitor arm that mounts to the wall. Problem solved?

Would you not just get a monitor arm that mounts to the wall. Problem solved?

I don't think the LL would appreciate that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

it only took three weeks for my Linmmon to buckle with a single U2711 mounted on a clamp.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement