Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tiny tom teased this baby, man have I got the urge to build a beadst vm/dev machine now :/

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813132268

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Thinking of selling your D4I already are we? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I got a Shapphire Tri-X OC, it was €295 on Pixmania, The Vapour X edition was around that price on Overclockers.uk during a sale but when payday came the sale had ended.

I like to play at my monitors native res so 1080p.

I was going to go for the FX-8320 and mother board but in the end stretched the budget just enough to afford an i5-4460, MSI Z97 PC Mate motherboard and a Fortron Source FSP700-50ARN 85+ - 700 Watt PSU for €328 delivered from Komplett.

Man the i5 is far superior to the AMD chip. The Trix 290 is fine for 295 really, you shud be delighted with it :) Overclock it a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Would it be worth picking one of these if I only have a 280x?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »
    Thinking of selling your D4I already are we? :P

Never, she's my baby. Just have a sweet spot for asus WS boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

damn it, and I just ordered a 290 last week(waiting on it to arrive today)

A 290 should give you similar performance with a decent overclock on it.

I went with the 970 as Sli down the road is the plan. I wanted them for there power efficiency as much as anything else.
    If i was going to stick with one card i probably would have bought a 290(X) as well as they really have come down in price

Had a bit of time to play a few more games today and while the card is certainly not going to be maxing Crysis 3 at ultra @1440p,im surprised how much performance its putting out. And the temps....55C max after running Unigine and every strenuous game i have at there max settings including AA for about 2-3hrs. Not all the games were playable with everything maxed but just wanted to see what sort of temps the card could be got up to. 55C max @1404MHz!! Gonna run out of voltage before i hit a temp wall while overclocking this i reckon. I went for the gigabyte as it should have a slightly higher tdp than the others as it has 6 + 8 pin power. I really dont see 1500MHz on the core being a problem at all. As for the memory will just have to wait and see. Either there are no VRM sensors or gpuz and the likes dont support it yet,which is a little disappointing. Would have liked to monitor temps when overclocking the memory

I should have time tomorrow night to have a fiddle with it and see what i can get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

EoinHef wrote: »
    A 290 should give you similar performance with a decent overclock on it.

I went with the 970 as Sli down the road is the plan. I wanted them for there power efficiency as much as anything else.
    If i was going to stick with one card i probably would have bought a 290(X) as well as they really have come down in price

Had a bit of time to play a few more games today and while the card is certainly not going to be maxing Crysis 3 at ultra @1440p,im surprised how much performance its putting out. And the temps....55C max after running Unigine and every strenuous game i have at there max settings including AA for about 2-3hrs. Not all the games were playable with everything maxed but just wanted to see what sort of temps the card could be got up to. 55C max @1404MHz!! Gonna run out of voltage before i hit a temp wall while overclocking this i reckon. I went for the gigabyte as it should have a slightly higher tdp than the others as it has 6 + 8 pin power. I really dont see 1500MHz on the core being a problem at all. As for the memory will just have to wait and see. Either there are no VRM sensors or gpuz and the likes dont support it yet,which is a little disappointing. Would have liked to monitor temps when overclocking the memory

I should have time tomorrow night to have a fiddle with it and see what i can get out of it.
    That sounds like the usual overclocking experience with those cards :) I wouldn't worry too much about the VRMs considering how much power it draws. I'm pretty sure nVidia cards don't usually have VRM sensors, but I could be wrong.

You'll actually hit a TDP wall before you hit a temp wall. Not sure of mods will come for this, but rest assured you can get 1500 plus out of it for now :)

It can probably max out Crysis 3 at Ultra at 1440p if you FXAA (using anything hgiher defeats the purpose of going 1440p in the first place anyways ;) ). Not 60FPS but 45 plus I'd say. A hefty memory overclock will probably help a lot here considering the higher resolution.

Check out the Crysis 3 performance here! Seems like you can bump up the AA from FXAA to SMAAx1 too!
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/29/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_4g_video_card_review/9#.VG0y0IusUWU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Would it be worth picking one of these if I only have a 280x?

I'd rather IPS myself. Is the high frequency that important?
    Actually you're pretty much in the territory of the Korean monitors' pricing. I'd go for one of those instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

ED E wrote: »
    Tiny tom teased this baby, man have I got the urge to build a beadst vm/dev machine now :/

I would be wanting something with more ram slots though, a bit disappointing to have dual xeons and only 8 dimm slots with ram and disk i/o being important when running vm's :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

marko93 wrote: »

Yes, quite close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

deceit wrote: »
    I would be wanting something with more ram slots though, a bit disappointing to have dual xeons and only 8 dimm slots with ram and disk i/o being important when running vm's :(

Support for 512GB DDR4 2133
    That's nothing to be sniffed at.
    It could increase to 1TB as memory density increases.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Support for 512GB DDR4 2133
    That's nothing to be sniffed at.
    It could increase to 1TB as memory density increases.
    Think of the cost of even 16gb dimms in that board considering the price of 8gb dimms at the moment.
    You would be looking at about 2k to populate it fully with 16gb dimms.
    Just taking this as the first google sample:
    www.amazon.co.uk/crucial-64GB-16GB-Memory-Module/dp/B00KUSMVVS
    I still standby that statement as the prices would make large amounts of ram not a viable option.
    To get 512gb ram your talking about 64gb dimms. They are announced like 128gb dimms are but I don't think either are available to buy. Is 32gb dimms even available to buy at this stage yet?

In fairness though, a dual Xeon board is never aimed at a price conscious end user.
    Either someone with more money then sense
    or
    someone who will benefit from the extra performance and can justify the price of the purchase against the financial reward returned.

SickBoy wrote: »
    In fairness though, a dual Xeon board is never aimed at a price conscious end user.
    Either someone with more money then sense
    or
    someone who will benefit from the extra performance and can justify the price of the purchase against the financial reward returned.
    yes but it would be better/easier to justify if you have a well balanced system.
    It looks more designed for photoshop/editing workstation than a server.
    The high performance cpu's would be limited by the lack of ram in esxi and other such environments.
    This would make more sense for an vm infrastructure:
    It would help with their financial reward also as it would create a more balanced system which would allow more spent on the board but less on the ram and still have bigger upgrade ability in the future.
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DAi.cfm
    If I was picking up a server now I would be looking more at something like this with dual 10gbe network ports
    http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5134#ov

yes but it would be better/easier to justify if you have a well balanced system.
    It looks more designed for photoshop/editing workstation than a server.
    The high performance cpu's would be limited by the lack of ram in esxi and other such environments.
    This would make more sense for an vm infrastructure:
    It would help with their financial reward also as it would create a more balanced system which would allow more spent on the board but less on the ram and still have bigger upgrade ability in the future.
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DAi.cfm
    If I was picking up a server now I would be looking more at something like this with dual 10gbe network ports
    http://b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5134#ov

horses for courses...

Yes horses for courses and he stated to build for a vm/dev machine. VM environments cant get enough memory and the others I showed would suit better in this situation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

My Shappire 290 Tri-X arrived today but I think they sent the normal card and not the OC edition that I paid for, I had a look online and found this packaging online with the large circle saying Overclocked, this card is overclocked even in standard form but I bought the 1000mhz over clock. I dont want to open the packaging yet, Has anybody bought one of these recently and did your box have the Overclock circle which might just be a sticker?

my one is on the bottom.
    329059.jpg

Yes horses for courses and he stated to build for a vm/dev machine. VM environments cant get enough memory and the others I showed would suit better in this situation :)

I don't disagree with you. I was just pointing out that the spec states there's support for 512GB RAM and that is nothing to be sniffed at.
    The fact that there's only 8 memory slots maybe a bit of a let down but consider that there's 128GB DDR4 DIMMS on the horizon means it could potentially accept 1TB of RAM. This may require newer CPUs but the board could work just fine with a firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

My Shappire 290 Tri-X arrived today but I think they sent the normal card and not the OC edition that I paid for, I had a look online and found this packaging online with the large circle saying Overclocked, this card is overclocked even in standard form but I bought the 1000mhz over clock. I dont want to open the packaging yet, Has anybody bought one of these recently and did your box have the Overclock circle which might just be a sticker?

Pretty sure it's a sticker! I'm ordering mine tonight, so I hope they're not sending out the wrong ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think all Tri-X 290's are 1000mhz. The box I have is the same as yours but it is 1000mhz core.

Thanks lads, I was worried they sent me this one.
    329065.jpg

But as yimrsg points out, the normal one does not have OC. I had heard that the regular one had a slight over clock too and on the pixmania site the artwork is the simular on the normal one and the OC one so thats were my confusion came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Thanks lads, I was worried they sent me this one.
    329065.jpg

But as yimrsg points out, the normal one does not have OC. I had heard that the regular one had a slight over clock too and on the pixmania site the artwork is the simular on the normal one and the OC one so thats were my confusion came from.

The part that worries me there is "pixmania".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Gumbi wrote: »
    That sounds like the usual overclocking experience with those cards :) I wouldn't worry too much about the VRMs considering how much power it draws. I'm pretty sure nVidia cards don't usually have VRM sensors, but I could be wrong.

You'll actually hit a TDP wall before you hit a temp wall. Not sure of mods will come for this, but rest assured you can get 1500 plus out of it for now :)

It can probably max out Crysis 3 at Ultra at 1440p if you FXAA (using anything hgiher defeats the purpose of going 1440p in the first place anyways ;) ). Not 60FPS but 45 plus I'd say. A hefty memory overclock will probably help a lot here considering the higher resolution.

Check out the Crysis 3 performance here! Seems like you can bump up the AA from FXAA to SMAAx1 too!
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/09/29/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_4g_video_card_review/9#.VG0y0IusUWU

After a night of benchmarks and a lot of Arma 3 ive got a nice stable overclock on the card now. Ran unigine 4.0,max settings to get temps up,a few times and played a few games and its nice and stable:)

329102.png

329101.gif

Just edging towards the 1500/8000 mark now and really the only time the card has got even a small bit more audible was in benching. Playing Arma 3 and a few other games its just as loud at idle as it is under game load. Will probably slightly adjust the fan profile to make it a little quieter at idle,it sits at about 32C on a 1440p display so i dont mind that going up a few degrees.

The extra performance in games is pronounced,concentrated on the core clock first and the results were decent but once the memory was overclocked it really made a difference:) Seems once overclocked the smaller 256-bit memory bus has no problems at 1440p anyway,i do feel though at stock clocks the memory was limiting performance. And hopefully i can push it further

Ive a good bit more headroom and i feel i can push it a good bit further but for now im very happy with the card:) Best of all the whole system is probably consuming at a guess no more than 400W,and temps are fantastic imo. I do have good airflow in my case though,all fan mounts filled out. A side mounted fan blowing fresh air directly onto the gpu so im guessing thats helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

my one is on the bottom.
    329059.jpg

Looks like they just forgot a sticker....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye, but on the flip side, looks like your one is 40% quieter! :P

yeah, thanks all, it was 100% the over clocked version. My brother got the same card delivered this morning so I will head over to his house to install it as I cant use mine until my new motherboard and CPU arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Thanks for showing me that. Using NirCmd I now have a solution I'm pretty happy with :D

gpgRBWH.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

What's the optimal way for me to add somewhat safe storage to my pc?
    I've a Sabertooth X79 and the spec sheet says

Intel® X79 chipset :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), brown
    4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black,
    Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
    Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :
    2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray
    ASMedia® ASM1061 controller :
    1 x Power eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), green
    1 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red,

if I buy 4 WD Red 3TB's will having them on the intel controller just be a matter of creating a raid volume and everything will play nicely? and I can continue to have the two ssd's on the 6gb ports

then I can just have my other drives jbod on the other controller?

I know very little about this end of stuff but I know that all the cool kids are doing ZFS these days, but since I'm just staying within windows is raid my best/only choice?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement