Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Well, my sister's rig wouldn't boot outside of safe mode today. It said it was BSOD'ing but I never even saw it, just next time it booted would give me safe mode option. It was some direct x runtime .sys process failing or something like that so I tried her GTX 760 in my system and my 660 Ti in hers and hers works now but mine has issues, I get no picture what so ever. Going over to local computer store today and gonna ask can I test the GPU in one of their rigs. If it still doesn't work is definitely the GPU and I'll have to RMA it - I was just a little unsure since this happened a day after changing the PSU.

The stress!

If I do have to RMA it, any tips? Never sent a GPU back before. Will I get some anti-static wrap? How exactly should I package it?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Why is my 3 'broadband' barely achieving 30kb/s down the last few days? It's been fine and I've gotten used to the usual mediocre speeds, but this is just terrible. Is there a reason that this might happen? It has full bars of coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

I'm so tired of my noisy desktop, Xfire 7950's with a relatively loud CPU cooler does not make a good time. The mini fridge does not help with the noise either :pac: Is there such a thing as closed loop GPU cooling? Would certainly reduce the noise..

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

Danger781 wrote: »
    I'm so tired of my noisy desktop, Xfire 7950's with a relatively loud CPU cooler does not make a good time. The mini fridge does not help with the noise either :pac: Is there such a thing as closed loop GPU cooling? Would certainly reduce the noise..

NZXT have one that might suit your needs, the Kraken G10
    anandtech. com/show/7719/nzxt-kraken-g10-review-liquid-cooling-for-your-gpu

Of note Corsair also recently announced a CLC for the 290 and 290X, that some here might find interesting.
    videocardz. com/54088/corsair-announces-hg10-hydro-series-gpu-liquid-cooling-bracket

There is also a thread on overclock.com with a guide on users repurposing CPU CLC's for their GPU's.
    overclock. net/t/1479716/guide-closed-loop-aio-coolers-on-your-gpu/180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Looks like Alienware ran out of patience waiting for SteamOS.

Alienware Alpha is being delivered to the first customers today, along with some free games.

lpha_asm100_eml_03.jpg?download=1
    Out of the box, the Alienware Alpha boots directly into the exclusive Alpha UI that provides a full console-based experience – no mouse or keyboard needed. From there you can choose to launch Steam Big Picture for instant access to thousands of amazing titles, adjust system and AlienFX settings and access your music library. Gamers can decide how they want to experience games on their Alpha; they can set the console to boot directly into Steam Big Picture for instant gaming gratification, or access the full Windows 8.1 desktop for a more traditional PC gaming experience.

The Alienware Alpha ships with a Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller, and is compatible with nearly any other controller or peripheral that you can use on a PC, whether that be a steering wheel, your favorite H.O.T.A.S. or a trusty keyboard and mouse. Your friends can even bring their own controllers for some local multiplayer havoc.

Don’t want to use a controller? No problem. The Alienware Alpha comes with a full version of Windows 8.1 which allows gamers to choose how they want to use the console. Want to place the Alpha on a desk, go for it. Want to get some work done between matches? Install your favorite office suite. Need to catch up on your movie queue? Install apps from the Windows Store, stream from your favorite browser, play your local media collection or even connect to your home media server. The power of choice is in every customers’ hands...

...Starting at $549 (US), the Alienware Alpha can be configured with Intel’s 4th generation core i3, i5 and i7 processors, up to 8GBs of DDR3 memory, hard drive options up to 2TBs and the latest Intel Wireless 802.11ac adapters. All of this hardware, combined with the custom NVIDIA GTX Maxwell GPU, is engineered into a form factor that is less than 2.5 inches tall and less than 8 inches in width.

Chances are a half decently specked box will be expensive enough. Could be interesting if it takes off.

• Advertisement

eoin91 wrote: »
    There is also a thread on overclock.com with a guide on users repurposing CPU CLC's for their GPU's.
    overclock. net/t/1479716/guide-closed-loop-aio-coolers-on-your-gpu/180

That's a great thread, thanks. Pretty much has everything I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kevin2800

Hey guys any one here buy them cheap 1440p monitors on ebay.Looking at one at the moment 240 euro,is it worth or should i stay clear.Delivery estimated 2-4 days aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

kevin2800 wrote: »
    Hey guys any one here buy them cheap 1440p monitors on ebay.Looking at one at the moment 240 euro,is it worth or should i stay clear.Delivery estimated 2-4 days aswell
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056587214&page=157

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

kevin2800 wrote: »
    I have one and it's fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

So I updated my ATI HD 6870 drivers today from 14-4 to 14-9 on Win 7 64. I know, they are out nearly two months but I usually don't bother updating for a while to avoid bugs, and seeing as my card is old I won't gain much performance anyway. Anyway, the Catalyst Control Center would crash after selecting different options on 14-9 and trying to exit. Reverted back and it's working fine now. I didn't bother booting up a game to see if the latest driver is stable in game. Anybody else notice anything strange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Are they any good for t
    gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Working well so far for me. Have lowered my temps hugely. Top card was hitting 94c and throttling within minutes of any game. Now it's seems to be topping out around 82c.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Whats the story with ordering somthing from newegg? I presume it comes from USA or somthing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Anyone have any experience with using a dedicated PhysX Nvida GPU on PhysX heavy games? Playing Warframe @ 120fps w/ 660ti and the biggest drops are when there's tons of special particle effects going on so I thought if I could lift the load off the main GPU onto a dedicated processor it might help things out. Some benchmark links would be great, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Seriously considering ordering the AOC 27" IPS monitor that's on special on a amazon today, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Headshot wrote: »
    Whats the story with ordering somthing from newegg? I presume it comes from USA or somthing?

Don't consider them. The taxes you'll pay will far outweigh buying it from somewhere like Hardwareversand but yeah, it comes from America.

bassey wrote: »
    Seriously considering ordering the AOC 27" IPS monitor that's on special on a amazon today, any thoughts?

I think it just went. I can't find it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

Don't consider them. The taxes you'll pay will far outweigh buying it from somewhere like Hardwareversand but yeah, it comes from America.

does newegg not have a uk site now too though?

newegg.com/global/uk

I believe all their stuff is still shipped from America.

Hey guys, currently have Crossfire Sapphire 7950 Dual-X setup in my desktop, but just spotted the MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr has been reduced on eBuyer and Amazon.

£129.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Nvidia-TF-PCI-E-Graphics/dp/B00DIH8OW8

Worth the upgrade? Or would the VRAM screw me over on 1440p..

• Advertisement

I wouldn't swap out a 7950 for a gtx 760. A 7950 beats the gtx 760 in nearly every way. Especially with the vram, 2gb of vram would be tough at 1440p on newer titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

My 290 arrived and my god it is glorious :D

I wouldn't swap out a 7950 for a gtx 760. A 7950 beats the gtx 760 in nearly every way. Especially with the vram, 2gb of vram would be tough at 1440p on newer titles.

Thought as much, nice one :)

Not really in the market for an upgrade anyway, just thought it looked a good price! Although I am sick of my noisy cards.. :(

marko93 wrote: »

Lol, yeah, it's a beast. ;)
    Thought as much, nice one :)

Not really in the market for an upgrade anyway, just thought it looked a good price! Although I am sick of my noisy cards.. :(

Hmm, could be like me. Never take off the headset lol. Offers some pretty nice noise cancellation. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

marko93 wrote: »

Which model you get? It's an awesome card :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Hey guys, currently have Crossfire Sapphire 7950 Dual-X setup in my desktop, but just spotted the MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr has been reduced on eBuyer and Amazon.

£129.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-Nvidia-TF-PCI-E-Graphics/dp/B00DIH8OW8

Worth the upgrade? Or would the VRAM screw me over on 1440p..

That price is sweet. And I just RMA'd my 280x....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

OC UK have dropped the 295x2 under £500.

That's £100 more than the cheapest 980 but I think you get 3 free games with it as well (AMD's promotion thingy).

An insane amount of power for the money.

Gbear wrote: »
    OC UK have dropped the 295x2 under £500.

That's £100 more than the cheapest 980 but I think you get 3 free games with it as well (AMD's promotion thingy).

An insane amount of power for the money.

r9 295x2x2 incoming!!! Nah, I joke. :P

Damn you and thank you Gbear. You have now made me consider the r9 295x2 vs my gtx 970 sli. ._.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Damn you and thank you Gbear. You have now made me consider the r9 295x2 vs my gtx 970 sli. ._.

It's downside is how much power it needs.

Apparently it uses 500w on it's own so you'd need at least a 750W PSU to power it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement