Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

More linus.

15966134_1192105224219254_3916259144814341612_n.jpg?oh=5dd6030fa0c01a31ea8fa24e6e0e9091&oe=58D5E412

240Hz ROG monitor. Wonder if I bought that would I stop being **** at CS:GO? Probably not...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

is it real 240hz or 120hz interpolated? the latter is only a gimmick IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"Fastest Monitor" was in the caption so I'm assuming its true 240.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

noice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Venom wrote: »
    As a consumer, AMD's biggest issue in losing market share and me as a customer (5870 + R9280 owner) have been down to AMD themselves rather than any shady practices on Nvidia's part. AMD ridiculously over hypes there GPU releases such as R9-300/Fury/RX-480 series of cards, which left customers disappointed to a fairly large degree.

Also, AMD's driver support was pretty bad for years, how power hungry and hot there cards got and the 480 power issue at launch, didn't help either which can't be blamed on Nvidia.

Fury was a flop but AMD finewine technology is coming into play with the release of these DX12 titles. The 480 was exactly what it was promised to be, a mid range card. Not only that, it does it really well and its outclassing the proper 1060 already. The power issue was genuine but hyped to ****e. It was nowhere near as bad as people made out.

There is always going to be a result of not having the same R&D money available to you. It hit AMD, it hit ATI. I hope they can make a comeback, because if they don't both graphics cards and cpu's will stagnate to hell. No point on R&D if there is no competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I hope they can make a comeback, because if they don't both graphics cards and cpu's will stagnate to hell. No point on R&D if there is no competition.

I hope AMD make a comeback as well for the simple reason as a consumer, competition and more buying options is always a good thing. Intel I agree have gotten away with releasing CPU's only a tiny % better than the precious generation for far to long but I don't see that happening with GPU's if for no other reason that if the performance isn't there, people just wont upgrade to a new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ED E wrote: »
    More linus.

15966134_1192105224219254_3916259144814341612_n.jpg?oh=5dd6030fa0c01a31ea8fa24e6e0e9091&oe=58D5E412

240Hz ROG monitor. Wonder if I bought that would I stop being **** at CS:GO? Probably not...

What is this monitor exactly? Is it 1440p? Is it like 30inches, I must know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Not 100% sure if it was Linus but one of the Youtube CES2017 vids mentioned it was the motherboard itself that contained the overclocking functions which is a smart move on AMD's part as they only need to make one chip instead of two like the way Intel currently does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not 100% sure if it was Linus but one of the Youtube CES2017 vids mentioned it was the motherboard itself that contained the overclocking functions which is a smart move on AMD's part as they only need to make one chip instead of two like the way Intel currently does.

They'd need two motherboard lines if they intended to shove their heads up their arses and tell us to go feck ourselves we can't overclock without paying them more money like Intel do.

I imagine in Intel's position two CPUs is easier than 2 motherboard lines.

*Edit* I forgot Intel already have like five motherboard lines.

Do AMD have the multiple line motherboard deal Intel have going? Like an equivalent to H110-H150-B150-H170-Z170. If not, will they introduce one now? I'd say it's unlikely imo

They'd need two motherboard lines if they intended to shove their heads up their arses and tell us to go feck ourselves we can't overclock without paying them more money like Intel do.

Do AMD have the multiple line motherboard deal Intel have going? Like an equivalent to H110-H150-B150-H170-Z170. If not, will they introduce one now? I'd say it's unlikely imo

I got the impression you just had to buy a board with the features you wanted from the usual suppliers such as Gigabyte, Asus, MSI or Evga.

I got the impression you just had to buy a board with the features you wanted from the usual suppliers such as Gigabyte, Asus, MSI or Evga.

Cheapest one possible in most cases then.

Will the multipliers be unlocked as standard on boards is the real question I'm asking.

I guess it's not up to AMD what the manufacturers do, and it will happen then so, kind of answers itself when I think about it.

I'm having a slow day.

Anyways, in non tech Q's is anyone else reading Ryzen as "Rye-Zen" instead of"Risen"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Will the multipliers be unlocked as standard on boards is the real question I'm asking.

I guess it's not up to AMD what the manufacturers do, and it will happen then so, kind of answers itself when I think about it.

I'm having a slow day.

Anyways, in non tech Q's is anyone else reading Ryzen as "Rye-Zen" instead of"Risen"

Isn't it meant to be pronounced rye Zen?

I'm having a slow day.

Let's just say Paddy Power won't be giving ya good od's on mobo manufactures doing the right thing and not charging more for overclockable boards :)

Rye-Zen is how is clicked for me.

Isn't it meant to be pronounced rye Zen?

I've never actually heard it spoken, I saw the AMD has Ryzen on the last page and thought the penny had dropped.
    Let's just say Paddy Power won't be giving ya good od's on mobo manufactures doing the right thing and not charging more for overclockable boards :)

Rye-Zen is how is clicked for me.

Aye I only copped that when you mentioned the manufacturers deciding what goes on it.

*It's Rye-Zen after all

Seriously AMD!

http://ve.ga/

A scruffy runt with a drum is going to sell Vega :confused:

Is it just me or are AMD just out of touch about marketing GPU's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm having a slow day.

According to this the X300,X370 and B350 boards will support overclocking. I think there are only 4 chipsets in total so 3 out of 4 aint bad.

https://www.techpowerup.com/229394/amd-confirms-full-spectrum-of-unlocked-overclockable-ryzen-cpus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

X370 > B350 > A320 (>X/B/A300) chipsets
    AMD-X370-AM4-B350-AM4-A320-AM4-A300-AM4-Chipsets.png

Only the A320 (low-end) will lack overclocking as a chipset limitation.

Linus talking about the new Ryzen mobo lineup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seriously AMD!

http://ve.ga/

A scruffy runt with a drum is going to sell Vega :confused:

Is it just me or are AMD just out of touch about marketing GPU's?

d_M7ty.gif

I mean seriously, what the **** is that? :confused:

I thought the GTX980Ti/1070/1080 videos were un-inspired, but they're the Citizen Kane of the marketing world compared to that garbage.

On another note, I kinda thought everyone said Ry-zen from the start? Maybe it's a bit like the whole lee-dil, lid-l thing....there's always one though, a friend's mother somehow calls it 'lill-dees'.

d_M7ty.gif

I mean seriously, what the **** is that? :confused:

I thought the GTX980Ti/1070/1080 videos were un-inspired, but they're the Citizen Kane of the marketing world compared to that garbage.

On another note, I kinda thought everyone said Ry-zen from the start? Maybe it's a bit like the whole lee-dil, lid-l thing....there's always one though, a friend's mother somehow calls it 'lill-dees'.

I think what bugs me the most about AMD's GPU marketing is they seem to go out of their way to make it bloody awful.

Marketing GPU's is simple for the following reasons

1)Stock cards come in basic colours such as black+red or black+green so match the god dammed website to those colours.
    2)Buyers of said cards want either insane performance and are willing to pay for it or a cheap product that offers good enough performance for the latest games.
    3)Have semi realistic charts showing performance over last gen and competitors current offerings.
    4)It has to be better than previous generations.
    5)Have some buzz words to explain some new tech feature that most buyers will never use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I like AMD as I had a R9 290 and now I have a R9 Fury X and I am pleased with their performance(I had older Nvidia cards before but got them cheap second hand). But unlike Nvidia they do not make much money. I would even go as far a saying if they weren't supplying the two biggest consoles this generation they would probably in even worse off territory. But I reckon they have something special in Vega will it beat the performance of the 1080Ti I honestly doubt it but it is capable of decent performance in 4K which is what people seem to want these days. I may pick upa Vega GPU eventually but not day one as I do not have the money atm.

Another thing all AMD cards do excellent in proper DX12 titles and I'd say Vega is no exception and finally we are starting to see actual DX12 games being released which can only be a good thing for those who have AMD cards and for those who will buy them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I don't really understand the marketing hate for AMD. They're not marketing a GPU, they're marketing an architecture (which NVIDIA doesn't usually do at all, so there's not a huge basis for comparison).

Watchdogs 3: AMD Vega is what that reminded me of

Serephucus wrote: »
    I don't really understand the marketing hate for AMD. They're not marketing a GPU, they're marketing an architecture (which NVIDIA doesn't usually do at all, so there's not a huge basis for comparison).

The problem lies in the fact 90% of GPU customers don't give a rats ass about architecture only on how many FPS they get in games and buy based on those facts alone for the most case.

The problem lies in the fact 90% of GPU customers don't give a rats ass about architecture only on how many FPS they get in games and buy based on those facts alone for the most case.

So why should AMD cater to those people with this type of marketing?

If you're one of those 90%, then you probably wouldn't be posting here, but you are, so you're one of the 10%, yet you're still unhappy with it? I'm confused.

Serephucus wrote: »
    So why should AMD cater to those people with this type of marketing?

If you're one of those 90%, then you probably wouldn't be posting here, but you are, so you're one of the 10%, yet you're still unhappy with it? I'm confused.

They should cater to those people as they are a business who makes money selling there products to the public and have a very small slice of the GPU market.

I'm one of the 90% because I have zero brand loyalty and buy whats best for me as a consumer.

They should cater tho those people as they are a business who makes money selling there products to the public and have a very small slice of the GPU market.

I'm one of the 90% because I have zero brand loyalty and buy whats best for me as a consumer.

Alright, point taken, but they don't have any GPUs to show (or at least, they're not willing to show yet, etc.) so why does this matter? If anything it's a good thing. Given their small market share, hyping things before launch - assuring more people are paying attention when they do - will drive more sales.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be fair, he's talking on behalf of common sense. Yes, AMD's ad campaign won't have the slightest bit of difference on my decision to purchase or not, or most people here, but it's hard not to get perplexed at their bizarre marketing strategy. While it won't make or break enthusiast markets as you've pointed out, at a basic level it certainly doesn't help their cause.

Also, AMD are in dire straits generally, they're losing money even suppling the consoles, whereas Nvidia are making money. It's true to say that AMD tech generally has longevity, in terms of longer term performance that tends to be ahead of it's time which rewards somewhat down the road, but it's a losing strategy overall unfortunately.

People want results now. Not potential, not longevity, not 'down the road' features. People want performance in the here and now, and AMD have failed to deliver the last while. The current generation (RX470, RX480) are doing just that, but there is an element of too little, too late which is denting their prospects for those cards - which is a shame because they are great cards, particularly the RX470 which spanks the GTX1050Ti. Also, at the lower end of the market, they've failed to deliver with the R7 260, the R7 360, and now the RX460 as well, compared to the GTX750, 750Ti, and GTX1050. That's a pretty big market, in terms of actual real world gamers, and particularly OEM machines.

Some of AMDs older cards now easily beat out Nvidia cards from the same generation - but people don't care now, they made their decisions based on the raw figures of the day, and they'll continue doing that. I feel AMD invest far too much time and money into exploring 'ahead of time' tech. Nvidia rely on brute force in the here and now and it's reaped dividends for them. ATI/AMD also took the same route previous but somewhere along the way took a gamble on how they did business and it's not working.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement