Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

To be fair, he's talking on behalf of common sense. Yes, AMD's ad campaign won't have the slightest bit of difference on my decision to purchase or not, or most people here, but it's hard not to get perplexed at their bizarre marketing strategy. While it won't make or break enthusiast markets as you've pointed out, at a basic level it certainly doesn't help their cause.

Also, AMD are in dire straits generally, they're losing money even suppling the consoles, whereas Nvidia are making money. It's true to say that AMD tech generally has longevity, in terms of longer term performance that tends to be ahead of it's time which rewards somewhat down the road, but it's a losing strategy overall unfortunately.

People want results now. Not potential, not longevity, not 'down the road' features. People want performance in the here and now, and AMD have failed to deliver the last while. The current generation (RX470, RX480) are doing just that, but there is an element of too little, too late which is denting their prospects for those cards - which is a shame because they are great cards, particularly the RX470 which spanks the GTX1050Ti. Also, at the lower end of the market, they've failed to deliver with the R7 260, the R7 360, and now the RX460 as well, compared to the GTX750, 750Ti, and GTX1050. That's a pretty big market, in terms of actual real world gamers, and particularly OEM machines.

Some of AMDs older cards now easily beat out Nvidia cards from the same generation - but people don't care now, they made their decisions based on the raw figures of the day, and they'll continue doing that. I feel AMD invest far too much time and money into exploring 'ahead of time' tech. Nvidia rely on brute force in the here and now and it's reaped dividends for them. ATI/AMD also took the same route previous but somewhere along the way took a gamble on how they did business and it's not working.

That is true as my old R9 290 beats out any GTX 970 now but when they were first released the 970 beat out the 290 and as everybody knows the 970 sold millions. I'm pretty sure it was Nvidias most popular card(I could be wrong on that though) Maybe just most popular in recent generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Serephucus wrote: »
    I don't really understand the marketing hate for AMD. They're not marketing a GPU, they're marketing an architecture (which NVIDIA doesn't usually do at all, so there's not a huge basis for comparison).

Merely the Mention of AMD on Boards and it causes chaos.

they could release the most advanced CPU/GPU ever and people would still hate on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That is true as my old R9 290 beats out any GTX 970 now but when they were first released the 970 beat out the 290 and as everybody knows the 970 sold millions. I'm pretty sure it was Nvidias most popular card(I could be wrong on that though) Maybe just most popular in recent generations.

The R9 290 should beat a 970 as it was almost 100 quid more at launch and aimed at the high end customer and the 980 market slice.

dunworth1 wrote: »

they could release the most advanced CPU/GPU ever and people would still hate on it

That is utter rubbish. Most if not all comments regarding Ryzen are positive with people hoping for a much needed shake up of the CPU market. Vega while looking positive is being hampered by AMD's usual PR bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Venom wrote: »
    The R9 290 should beat a 970 as it was almost 100 quid more at launch and aimed at the high end customer and the 980 market slice.

Was it? I bought an R9 290 at launch and it was €360. I think the GTX970 was about the same.

I don't think that's true. Like a bad relationship, people keep hoping that AMD will level the playing field but every release the last while has been a disappointment. Pointing out AMD's shortfalls are often interpreted in some places as 'AMD hating' - pointing out the facts is entirely different from bias. I think we all want Ryzen to be a success, we all want AMD to claw back market share, for the good of the market.

Being doubtful, skeptical, is only natural.

• Advertisement

Was it? I bought an R9 290 at launch and it was €360. I think the GTX970 was about the same.

I don't think that's true. Like a bad relationship, people keep hoping that AMD will level the playing field but every release the last while has been a disappointment. Pointing out AMD's shortfalls are often interpreted in some places as 'AMD hating' - pointing out the facts is entirely different from bias. I think we all want Ryzen to be a success, we all want AMD to claw back market share, for the good of the market.

Being doubtful, skeptical, is only natural.

At launch (according to most websites) the 290 was $399 and the 290X $550.

I remember the 290X was a crazy price alright (same as the GTX980 really, massive overhead for a small premium) but I definitely got a Sapphire 290 from Dabs in late 2013 for €365. Ridiculous how a few years ago us dollar = euro, and how we grumbled about that, but now the euro price is more like $1 = €1.30+

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Two units of the most interesting product Razer showed at this year’s CES were stolen from its booth yesterday, the company says. Both items were prototype models of a laptop, called Project Valerie, that has three 4K displays. Razer says the products were taken around 4PM on Sunday.

“ANYONE WHO WOULD DO THIS CLEARLY ISN’T VERY SMART.”
    “We treat theft/larceny, and if relevant to this case, industrial espionage, very seriously — it is cheating, and cheating doesn’t sit well with us,” Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan wrote in a Facebook post. “Penalties for such crimes are grievous and anyone who would do this clearly isn’t very smart.”

:eek::eek::eek:

Surely there is cameras all over that place.

Very lax security if you can just walk in and pick them up. You would think they would know better than to just leave expensive prototype laptops without a chain and lock. Kensington?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Surely there is cameras all over that place.

Very lax security if you can just walk in and pick them up. You would think they would know better than to just leave expensive prototype laptops without a chain and lock. Kensington?

Were they packed up ready to go and someone took the boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I remember the 290X was a crazy price alright (same as the GTX980 really, massive overhead for a small premium) but I definitely got a Sapphire 290 from Dabs in late 2013 for €365. Ridiculous how a few years ago us dollar = euro, and how we grumbled about that, but now the euro price is more like $1 = €1.30+

It's actually US$ 1.00 = € 0.94 right now...

Hell, even GBP £1.00 = € 1.15

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's actually US$ 1.00 = € 0.94 right now...

Hell, even GBP £1.00 = € 1.15

Ah, I know the current rates, what I mean is the rate being charged for GPU's in Europe compared to the US. Previously, if a GPU was $399, it would be €399, and we'd even complain about that.

But now, what is RRP $399, is now €499, which is hard to stomach. The pricing in the EU for the GTX line up is scandalous, as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ah, I know the current rates, what I mean is the rate being charged for GPU's in Europe compared to the US. Previously, if a GPU was $399, it would be €399, and we'd even complain about that.

But now, what is RRP $399, is now €499, which is hard to stomach. The pricing in the EU for the GTX line up is scandalous, as an example.

Has anyone ever heard a good reason for this from tech companies other than "lol because we can" ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Bazzo wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard a good reason for this from tech companies other than "lol because we can" ?

A lot of the difference between US prices and here is down to VAT. Prices in the US don't include sales tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

America has a really weird taxation system, giving them lots of spending money in relation to income and making most things cheap to buy. Which is why its always cheaper in the states then elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

America has a really weird taxation system, giving them lots of spending money in relation to income and making most things cheap to buy. Which is why its always cheaper in the states then elsewhere.

people with lots of money typically make things more expensive? more money, more inflation, prices rise.

lived there for 6 years, i don't think there is anything weird about the taxation system, actually it gives you a lot more flexibility than the rigid system we have

the reason the prices are quoted without tax is that sales tax is state, not federal based, which means each state charges it's own tax rate. florida for one has a very low if not zero tax, or at least had while i was there. for nationwide ad campaigns you can't really list 52 different prices on the ad so they list it without tx and people know their local tax rate

Sadly that's just it, because they can.

Yeah pretty much what I expected. I did a j1 in the states and have a lot of relatives living there so I've been there a good bit, so I'm aware of the state-by-state tax situation(My J1 was near Delaware, 0% sales tax :D) but even taking that into account things are still quite a bit more expensive here than they are over there.

taking that into account things are still quite a bit more expensive here than they are over there.

unluckily for us it's an irish thing, european goods that don't go near the US are still more expensive here than they are in the UK/continent.

the paddy tax

mossym wrote: »
    unluckily for us it's an irish thing, european goods that don't go near the US are still more expensive here than they are in the UK/continent.

the paddy tax

I've been living in the mainland UK for the last 3 years and don't notice an appreciable difference between prices here and in Ireland TBH. I guess that's not completely true, a lot of things have become relatively cheaper since Brexit and the sterling tanking as a result but that's unrelated. There are sometimes small differences but not a large amount. Things are still significantly cheaper in the US than here.

• Advertisement

I've been living in the mainland UK for the last 3 years and don't notice an appreciable difference between prices here and in Ireland TBH. I guess that's not completely true, a lot of things have become relatively cheaper since Brexit and the sterling tanking as a result but that's unrelated. There are sometimes small differences but not a large amount. Things are still significantly cheaper in the US than here.

What are you talking about man everyday items and consumables are way cheaper in UK.

What are you talking about man everyday items and consumables are way cheaper in UK.

We're talking about tech stuff?

homepage of the curry's website, uk versus ie sites

same hp pavillion laptop

uk price 599gbp
    Ie site 769

599 gpb in euros is 688.

tax rates are different alright, 3% difference, so 688 *1.03, = 708.

10% paddy tax. that was just the first thing on the site. next was an asus laptop, 299gbp vs 399 euros.

i've never found irish prices to be on par with UK or europe. hence why anyone ordering parts does so from amazon or mindfactory

mossym wrote: »
    homepage of the curry's website, uk versus ie sites

same hp pavillion laptop

uk price 599gbp
    Ie site 769

599 gpb in euros is 688.

tax rates are different alright, 3% difference, so 688 *1.03, = 708.

10% paddy tax. that was just the first thing on the site. next was an asus laptop, 299gbp vs 399 euros.

i've never found irish prices to be on par with UK or europe. hence why anyone ordering parts does so from amazon or mindfactory

Obviously I don't have the prices at the moment but do you think the UK price would have been cheaper(by much or even anything?) a few months ago when Sterling was fetching closer to 1.30? That would put the prices roughly on par. I haven't bought anything recently but I did buy a laptop and a few bits when I first moved over and remember comparing the prices to back home out of curiosity and finding little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Anyone else see that 144Hz monitor at wait for it 4K. YES 4K And HDR and Gsync.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone else see that 144Hz monitor at wait for it 4K. YES 4K And HDR and Gsync.

Good luck powering it with current GPUs though.

I know. I'd say it is at least 3 generations too advanced for single card setups.

Linus reckoned it being run by a top end GTX Quadro which kinda puts it into years down the road till GPU's catch up level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Venom wrote: »
    Linus reckoned it being run by a top end GTX Quadro which kinda puts it into years down the road till GPU's catch up level.

But as discussed on the WAN show thats just because team green are holding it back D1.3 support. It could be on this gens cards if theyd wanted to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement