Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah I haven't been on here much lately. Have a little look from time to time to see if I'm missing anything. Still waiting on AMD's Vega and Ryzen for a proper upgrade.

I'm working on a game using Unreal Engine 4 at the moment. Solo project for now but I'll be looking to recruit some people soon. Working demo will be shown in a few months. Think of a cross between Mario Kart and Micro Machines for PC, hopefully consoles further down the line.

Fair play man. Sounds interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Thanks. I saw codemasters have new micro machines on the way but i'm not bothered. They are sticking to the top down tabletop view. I'll be using a mario kart view but in a micro machines small car / big world way with lot's of use of physics and unique vehicles with unique moba style skillsets. 3 standard abilities + an ultimate.

Graphics are being pushed to a high level. 4k textures at the high end. 3d assets are mainly temporary placeholders for now. I'm not gonna show anything yet though as it's still a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

€350 for the 8/16 is really good as well considering it's not far off the level of intels €1100 8/16 6900k. I imagine the €500 version is a binned higher clocked "extreme edition".

I'll be looking to replace my 3570k with 1 of these. Probably the €350 8/16 depending on how it overclocks. The €250 6/12 may be the best all rounder for gaming systems for a good balance of clock speed and cores.

If these prices are for real AMD won't be long taking big market share from intel.

Doubt it, Intel will do what they always do with AMD. Drop prices, up clocks and force AMD into a war they can't win.

Doubt it, Intel will do what they always do with AMD. Drop prices, up clocks and force AMD into a war they can't win.

They will have to do some pretty dramatic price drops to compete and even if they do it might still make more sense to get a 4/8 Ryzen than it does an i5 because of the lack of hyper threading on the i5's.

A 4/8 Ryzen should compete with an i7 6700k and it might be priced at upper end i3 levels. That's a big gap for intel to bridge. All of the Ryzen line will be overclockable as well.

The deciding factor might be how much you can overclock them. That's some aggressive pricing from AMD though. I doubt intel will respond quick enough before all the reviews and recommendations come in which will influence buyers decisions over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Thanks. I saw codemasters have new micro machines on the way but i'm not bothered. They are sticking to the top down tabletop view. I'll be using a mario kart view but in a micro machines small car / big world way with lot's of use of physics and unique vehicles with unique moba style skillsets. 3 standard abilities + an ultimate.

Graphics are being pushed to a high level. 4k textures at the high end. 3d assets are mainly temporary placeholders for now. I'm not gonna show anything yet though as it's still a long way off.

Where do we sign up for the beta!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

A 4/8 Ryzen should compete with an i7 6700k and it might be priced at upper end i3 levels. That's a big gap for intel to bridge. All of the Ryzen line will be overclockable as well.

Oh boy, you are in for a big surprise.if by some magical luck 4/8 core ryzen will be as fast as 6700k , then it will be priced just the same as 6700k. Hoping for core i3 prices is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

twinsen wrote: »
    Oh boy, you are in for a big surprise.if by some magical luck 4/8 core ryzen will be as fast as 6700k , then it will be priced just the same as 6700k. Hoping for core i3 prices is just ridiculous.

TBF, upper-end i3 (7350k) is same price as entry-level i5.

AMD might have a winner if they can price an i7-beater at i5 prices (€200-260).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    TBF, upper-end i3 (7350k) is same price as entry-level i5.

AMD might have a winner if they can price an i7-beater at i5 prices (€200-260).

they have to undercut intel though, what choice have they, if performance is similar and price too people will just go intel. To shake the cpu market up they need to be as good if not better at a lower price

if they brought a 6core or 8core with hyper threading on par with intels x99 offerings for 400-500 euro id nearly swap out my i7 6700k

twinsen wrote: »

Well from what we've seen so far their IPC is close to Skylake clock for clock which granted is a 1 gen older intel chip. There's no reason why the 4/8 should be much worse than the 6700k apart from maybe max clock speeds. I seriously doubt this chip will cost more than €200 either.

It will at the very least be an i5 killer. The 6/12 will be an i7 killer and the 8/16 a Broadwell-E killer.

The 7700k is around €420. If AMD are 20% slower at half the price it's going to be an easy choice for most.

Intel have been price gouging for years. AMD have such a poor market share they will not price the same if the performance is the same.

They have a lot of negative attitudes towards them to overcome after bulldozer and excavator but I think they will be back in the game in a big way.

All aboard the AMD hype train.
    Where do we sign up for the beta!?

Betas a long way off and there's so far 0 network multiplayer implemented yet and all the physics are being done client side which will have to be changed to server side. Pretty much all the variables that could be exploited need to be changed to server side. Gonna be a bit of work getting that done. There is split screen multi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Getting rid of the god awful Horizon box today,moving to internet only with Virgin. Their TV offering is just abysmal now imo. Never really was great.

Hoping theres also a chance of the router they have now givin me will be better than what was in the horizon box.

Looks like its a Compal ch7465ce,anyone know if this is any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yup, it's their standard one now.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yup, it's their standard one now.

Is it supposed to be decent?
    Ive been wanting a decent router for awhile but it'll most likely be middle of the year before i get round to one.

Also just remembered ill have to note down all the port forwards on the horizon box and transfer them all over...fun times:(

EDIT: Just noticed theres a thread on boards about it,ill have a read.

I don't use it, as such. The one thing I can say is that it's super-easy to set to bridge mode. There's just a toggle in the UI for it, after which it becomes a dumb pass through. No more bollocking around with hidden pages like the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The 7700k is around €420. If AMD are 20% slower at half the price it's going to be an easy choice for most.

If AMD offer a 6 Core part at the same price with 10-20% less performance, then people will lap it up. Intel has been sitting at 4 cores now for a while and recently games have started to take proper advantage of multi-threading.

The problem is that intel really have a lot of headroom in their binning process. From what I can see most people with current intel K processors hit 25% overclocks with no voltage bump. That's huge, Intel could create a ton of SKU's on current chips and push the stock clocks up.

I don't use it, as such. The one thing I can say is that it's super-easy to set to bridge mode. There's just a toggle in the UI for it, after which it becomes a dumb pass through. No more bollocking around with hidden pages like the last one.

Hmm indeed,looks like its called modem mode. Make it easier if i do go that route. Ill see how the wireless pans out over the next while. Cant imagine it could be worse than the horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

If AMD offer a 6 Core part at the same price with 10-20% less performance, then people will lap it up. Intel has been sitting at 4 cores now for a while and recently games have started to take proper advantage of multi-threading.

The problem is that intel really have a lot of headroom in their binning process. From what I can see most people with current intel K processors hit 25% overclocks with no voltage bump. That's huge, Intel could create a ton of SKU's on current chips and push the stock clocks up.

Latest rumors say there's going to be no 6 core Ryzens at launch. Just 4 and 8.

I'm watching this like a hawk at the moment - my motherboard and CPU are 6 years old now & whichever way this breaks should be good for consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully, I don't believe any of the hype around this and feel it is going to be a let down.

However if it does come close a 8c or 6c processor with 95W draw and a cheap enough price would be hugh for the pre-configured work station segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Intel have also shown how they can easily strike back with the G4560. A €75 i3 that beats the FX-6350 and FX-8350 in some titles due to the excellent IPC.

There's no way the 6/12 Ryzen will be 20% slower than a 7700k. Try around 40% faster and a fair bit cheaper. I was talking about the 4/8 compared to intels latest 7700k which is only about 5-8% faster than the 6700k which the 4/8 Ryzen should be close to.

If these things can get around 4.5ghz+ on the overclock they are on to a winner. The CES Demo had them running at 3.6ghz base and 3.9ghz boost. Not sure if this was gonna be the standard clocks or overclocked speeds but it's a good sign. That was on the 8/16 model so I'd expect the lower core versions to have even higher clock speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Intel have also shown how they can easily strike back with the G4560. A €75 i3 that beats the FX-6350 and FX-8350 in some titles due to the excellent IPC.

That's the point, I hope they will. We want Intel to get off fat arse and drop prices. One way or another we will all win with ryzen if it's even at same efficiency and power level and just a bit cheaper. Or if it's faster, but for same price as intel. Win win for consumer.
    The only way we will lose if it's bulldozer 1.2.

• Advertisement

Thing is though, Ryzen (God I hate that name), needs to be more than just "It's 5% better then the equivalent Intel solution", to get mass appeal, I think. AMD is still seen to a lot of people outside - and even inside - the enthusiast community as the lesser company, putting out inferior products.

Anecdotal example: Friend of mine is in the market for a new rig. I told him he should wait a couple of months to see AMD's offering (he keeps his rigs for a while anyway) as it could well offer big benefits, but no matter what I said he wouldn't hear of it, because "that's AMD". Same with Pascal vs. Vega.

Even if it's objectively a little better, there "must" be something about it that's not as good, or it wouldn't be priced less than the gold-standard of reliability: Intel.

This has been slowly changing in recent months with the Zen hype train though, so who knows?

Not sure you can call it "striking back" when it released 5 years / 4 generations later :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Thing is though, Ryzen (God I hate that name), needs to be more than just "It's 5% better then the equivalent Intel solution", to get mass appeal, I think. AMD is still seen to a lot of people outside - and even inside - the enthusiast community as the lesser company, putting out inferior products.

Anecdotal example: Friend of mine is in the market for a new rig. I told him he should wait a couple of months to see AMD's offering (he keeps his rigs for a while anyway) as it could well offer big benefits, but no matter what I said he wouldn't hear of it, because "that's AMD". Same with Pascal vs. Vega.

Even if it's objectively a little better, there "must" be something about it that's not as good, or it wouldn't be priced less than the gold-standard of reliability: Intel.

This has been slowly changing in recent months with the Zen hype train though, so who knows?

That's just it, Intel is so ingrained with people that amd really need to blow them out of the water on either price+performance or outright performance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Going into this thread first rather than starting a new build thread when I'm not very clear in my head about what I'm doing . ( jesus, I'm hear to ask advice about ....asking advice ) .

What is the protocol , do I start a new build thread and then try and have the different side discussions about my odd requests ? Like I was hoping to find a case that would be designed with AIO liquid cooling in mind, if there is such a thing but would also like it to be light and take a full length Graphics card because I got caught with that before buy a card that was 406mm and the case wouldn't take it . Also do I start it to get the ball rolling with the likes of case and PSU even if I plan on waiting for the Ryzen to come out to see what it does to the market ?

Also it's looking like I'll be asking like a complete noob even though I have been building and upgrading my own PC's since ..... well , lets just say, a long time . I just find this time that I am overwhelmed with choice and details, like motherboards , how hard could that be, a Z270 seems to be the way to go, but, there are loads of brands and each brand has loads of variations . The more I read the less I know, I thought the I7 7700k was going to be the way to go then tonight I read an article saying that the I5 7600k was better for gaming . I putting the confusion and frustration down to age .

I have a nice bit of cash this time for my build, but it was hard to come by so I don't want to mess up and waste it, or waste anyones time trying to help .

jonski wrote: »
    Going into this thread first rather than starting a new build thread when I'm not very clear in my head about what I'm doing . ( jesus, I'm hear to ask advice about ....asking advice ) .

What is the protocol , do I start a new build thread and then try and have the different side discussions about my odd requests ? Like I was hoping to find a case that would be designed with AIO liquid cooling in mind, if there is such a thing but would also like it to be light and take a full length Graphics card because I got caught with that before buy a card that was 406mm and the case wouldn't take it . Also do I start it to get the ball rolling with the likes of case and PSU even if I plan on waiting for the Ryzen to come out to see what it does to the market ?

Also it's looking like I'll be asking like a complete noob even though I have been building and upgrading my own PC's since ..... well , lets just say, a long time . I just find this time that I am overwhelmed with choice and details, like motherboards , how hard could that be, a Z270 seems to be the way to go, but, there are loads of brands and each brand has loads of variations . The more I read the less I know, I thought the I7 7700k was going to be the way to go then tonight I read an article saying that the I5 7600k was better for gaming . I putting the confusion and frustration down to age .

I have a nice bit of cash this time for my build, but it was hard to come by so I don't want to mess up and waste it, or waste anyones time trying to help .
    Start a new thread & we'll recommend around your budget :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Not sure you can call it "striking back" when it released 5 years / 4 generations later :rolleyes:

I didn't mean that in the literal sense that the G4560 strikes back at the FX series - obviously Intel have nothing they need to strike back at other than AMD as a company themselves.

It's just another step in cementing Intel's position in the consumer mind as the superior product and that fact is a major obstacle for AMD to overcome.

Intel have all these measures in the wings that are designed to continuously chip away at AMD in every segment of the home PC market to the point where now there is essentially no point to consider buying any AMD processor from the current lineup regardless of price bracket.

A €75 dual core pentium trading blows with AMD's current 'high-end' (relative to how far their CPU line goes rather than retail price) 8 core desktop in games further damages AMD's image.

In fact it really even does trade blows with AMD's FX-9590 - that's a dual core, 54w Pentium piece fighting a 220w, 8-core behemoth that is AMD's fastest flagship CPU - it just symbolises the brute inefficiency of AMD.

It's also filtered into the graphics card market, even though AMD have largely always made extremely solid cards that tend to last better than their Nvidia counterparts, the very phrase 'AMD' has become entirely synonomous with 'inferior'.

The release of the G4560 is great for consumers as it's the first budget CPU that can compete in high end gaming machines in the best part of a decade so it causes great stir - right when the Ryzen hype train is gathering pace.

When Ryzen does release, Intel are not going to be blind-sided, they've been preparing for it and will counter with lower prices, refresh CPU's, etc.

Serephucus is exactly right in his post - as enthusiasts we'll give Ryzen a go but they have a lot further to go to win back large swathes of the market, they need a stunning cominbation of low price and high performance.

Intel reacted well to the AMD 64 line to produce the Core 2 line, which led us to where we are today - Intel dominating for an entire decade.

However the problem for AMD is that they simply don't have the money to spend on R&D that Intel did back in the early 2000's.

They're in dire financial straits at the moment and if Ryzen doesn't take off well they'll probably have to look a very serious look at their product ranges and see what needs to be dropped altogether.

Anyway, that's really what I meant when I said the G4560 is an example of how Intel 'strike back'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shudddup and take mah money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ED E wrote: »

Shudddup and take mah money!

Pity its a 1080p TN panel :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I already have a high Hz display so I don't feel like I'll ever be investing more money into upgrading or getting more screens now that VR/AR is coming around. That'll be my next upgrade in terms of displays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Father in law is looking for a basic laptop just for basic internet, watching streams etc and has a budget of about €400 and wants a 15" screen. I had a quick look in Currys and on dell and the two most common processors are either a pentium N3710 or an AMD A6 7310.

Realistically, is there any difference between them?

Also, would 8GB of RAM make any difference over 4GB?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement