Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Did there not used to be a 'What's my gear worth' thread where people went to get their hearts broken? I can't find it...

EDIT: Got it, doesn't live in here with the self builders up in C&T

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wonder how much of a step up will the 1080TI will be over the 980TI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It'll be the same old story: It'll be an increase similar in proportion to 970 -> 1070, and you'll sell a kidney for it.

I'm getting the Intel Yawn Reflex(TM) with NVIDIA lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Headshot wrote: »

It'll probably be a cheaper Titan XP, so a 4k60 card

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Headshot wrote: »

I would expect it to be the equal or better than the jump from the 980 to 980Ti, as anything less and Nvidia would have a right PR nightmare on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I'd say that might be the case alright as it is very hard to monitor which cores are being used as it is constantly changing.

AIX has had nmon which allows you watch the CPU cores in realtime since 2003 or so [available in linux now too :P]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Shougeki wrote: »
    AIX has had nmon which allows you watch the CPU cores in realtime since 2003 or so [available in linux now too :P]

I have long since monitored my CPU cores in Linux :D

2s0zn5t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I have long since monitored my CPU cores in Linux :D

2s0zn5t.jpg

:P Up until about 6months ago I was an AIX/Solaris/HPUX/Mainframe System Engineer, so hence the nmon reference. I still use nmon on linux though as I am so used to it, and can be cron'd and graphed later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Some Vega 11 benchmarks have been released. Specifically for the RX 580, which is the RX480 replacement. It is not just a re-branded Polaris. Vega 11 is the successor to Polaris. Higher performance with lower power usage on a completely different architecture.

Vega 11 will be the low to mid range RX 560/570/580 while Vega 10 will be the high end RX 590 and possibly Fury. The 580 is supposed to roughly match the GTX 1070 in Ashes and should come in around the same price as the RX480 did.

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-580-crossfire-ryzen-4k-aots-benchmarks/

Wait for Vega or get an RX480? Currently gaming @ 1080p with a 7870, looking to drive dual 27" 1440p or dual 27" 144Hz...come to think of it that's another one I could use help with...

• Advertisement

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Wait for Vega or get an RX480? Currently gaming @ 1080p with a 7870, looking to drive dual 27" 1440p or dual 27" 144Hz...come to think of it that's another one I could use help with...

Save up for Vega/GTX1070, that's a lot of pixels to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

gooch2k9 wrote: »

You wont game on a dual setup so really you're looking to drive 3 or 1.

Any card that can game on one will give you a desktop on 2.

ED E wrote: »
    You wont game on a dual setup so really you're looking to drive 3 or 1.

Any card that can game on one will give you a desktop on 2.

Still, for 1440p I'd recommend a tier higher than RX480/GTX1060

So Fury/Fury X or GTX 980Ti / 1070 / 1080.

Yeah I'd be using it like ED E said. That's what I currently do with two 22" 1080p monitors.

I don't think I could stretch to three 27" screens!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Off topic lads, but my car was broken in to last night. Radio and everything that was in it stolen. Even fecking moisture packs.
    Is there some small cameras put there that I could put in the window in the house to record? My car parked right next to it.
    Will go to halfords and see if I can get some auto lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Off topic lads, but my car was broken in to last night. Radio and everything that was in it stolen. Even fecking moisture packs.
    Is there some small cameras put there that I could put in the window in the house to record? My car parked right next to it.

Didn't realise car radios still got stolen these days! Didn't think there would be a market for them anymore, where as back in the day everybody was swapping out the standard radios for one with a tape deck!

Sorry to hear that. You will likely need something with infrared lights to record in the dark. If you stuck in a motion sensor yard light you could get away with a cheaper camera, or even an old phone with the ip camera app

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Major bummer dude! :(

If you have a computer in the room you can simply point a webcam out and get some free software to monitor it.

However, there's a load of wi-fi cameras available now.
    Here's a site that offers some reviews that you may find helpful: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-home-security-camera/

Load of them offer cloud based solutions now where you can monitor via an app on your phone etc. and store the feed in the cloud rather than have a home CCTV system.

Get some PIRs and an LED outdoor light for a start.
    These are cheap but a good start:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/2-pack-Waterproof-Outdoor-Floodlight-Security-x/dp/B00WQWQQUS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1488299782&sr=8-5&keywords=LED+PIR+Outdoor

Any activity in the drive and it'll be like the Aviva's floodlights came on.

Second step is probably the likes of Xiaomi cam or similar(FOSCAM etc).
    150608-xiaomi-xiaoyi-night-vision-cctv-4.jpg?fit=580%2C362

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Cheers lads. I am working today and tomorrow and will start sorting out something thursday.

Apparently they still rob car radios. I drive old 04 alfa gt and I had aftermarket unit for bluetooth. Feckers ripped half of wires and did damage. Even heater and windows dont work.

Those lights look perfect. Any idea if I could pick up something like this locally? Halfords maybe or some other shop?
    I will check links to camares at home. I can leave it in the window as I said car parked less then a meter from window. I know it will be jack**** worth as scum will be in a hoody and cap, but it might just scare then off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Cheers lads. I am working today and tomorrow and will start sorting out something thursday.

Apparently they still rob car radios. I drive old 04 alfa gt and I had aftermarket unit for bluetooth. Feckers ripped half of wires and did damage. Even heater and windows dont work.

Those lights look perfect. Any idea if I could pick up something like this locally? Halfords maybe or some other shop?
    I will check links to camares at home. I can leave it in the window as I said car parked less then a meter from window. I know it will be jack**** worth as scum will be in a hoody and cap, but it might just scare then off.

You would purchase lights in any electrical wholesaler. (Shops Electricians purchase their items)I do not know Limerick so I cannot be more precise about where there is one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

AMD Capsaicin & Cream event at GDC 2017 is starting shortly for those inclined.

I'm already watching the countdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

What is it for? Apu's, gpu's?

Vega.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought it would be showing off new GPUs but so far it's all software stuff and nothing very exciting. I'm thinking off turning it off and just checking the tech blogs later.

RX Vega!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well that was lame. All we get told is that Vega is going to be called Vega. Absolutely no mention of the hardware itself like they said. Saying that it was funny how after showing the Vega video he says. "Of course we want you all to take home a" long pause "AMD Vega t-shirt". I can imagine there were a few people thinking they were getting a new GPU. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

The Bethesda deal could be interesting, if it's not just marketing BS.... which it probably is.

By your description I would guess they were off their heads looking for a fix. A scrote who spends his day robbing wont take stuff that wont sell.

Lots of places here still sell Halogen units, dont buy them. Huge energy consumption for the same or less light. These two deal with trade mainly but are a bit more expensive:
    Radionics(Lots of options):
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/c/lighting/light-fittings-luminaires/led-floodlights/?searchTerm=LED+PIR
    Farnell:
    Only unit discontinued :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

B&Q is the cheapest I think for them I've got a few of them over the years

Maplin have a small range of cams

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement