Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Those lights look perfect. Any idea if I could pick up something like this locally? Halfords maybe or some other shop?
    I will check links to camares at home. I can leave it in the window as I said car parked less then a meter from window. I know it will be jack**** worth as scum will be in a hoody and cap, but it might just scare then off.

You could go up the road from Halfords to Electrical Factors (Crossagalla Industrial Estate ... head up to the NCT centre and keep going - they are on the left about 300m down the road). I got some pretty good LED lights from them. Don't need to be a tradesman either ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Lads, apologies if I'm in the wrong thread but what should I expect to get for an MSI 960 2gb card? Looking to sell it on after upgrading to a 1070 back at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

is €650 a bit steep to be looking for for an evga gtx 1080? just curious on how i should price it to make it sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

is €650 a bit steep to be looking for for an evga gtx 1080? just curious on how i should price it to make it sell.

Bad time to sell as Nvidia seem to be dropping prices to adjust to the 1080ti being released soon.
    Your 1080 is about 670e delivered atm on ocuk so take that into consideration sorry :o

game4it70 wrote: »
    Bad time to sell as Nvidia seem to be dropping prices to adjust to the 1080ti being released soon.
    Your 1080 is about 670e delivered atm on ocuk so take that into consideration sorry :o

didnt think prices would drop that quick :eek: :eek: i'd like to think an evga card would hold value a bit though seeing as you can just do a guest rma on it, and i presume effectively get a new replacement.

but holy crap my card can be got new at 670, thats some price drop from the 800 or so i paid a few months back :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

do displayport to dvi adaptors have any latency associated with them? If I got a 1080ti I'd need a displayport to dvi to vga adaptor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That's Nvidia for you. I'd say they slashed the prices so people building new Ryzen build's will go Nvidia for their graphics card.

didnt think prices would drop that quick :eek: :eek: i'd like to think an evga card would hold value a bit though seeing as you can just do a guest rma on it, and i presume effectively get a new replacement.

but holy crap my card can be got new at 670, thats some price drop from the 800 or so i paid a few months back :(

Yeah i thought it would be a few weeks before they dropped.Gibbo from ocuk did say that once his stock is gone they will go up in price.He didn't say if back to previous prices or just a few quid.
    Make sure you say that about the guest rma on your ad as that is a good selling point and evga are a top brand imo.

That's Nvidia for you. I'd say they slashed the prices so people building new Ryzen build's will go Nvidia for their graphics card.
    Very possible I'd say.In a way Ryzen is hurting their gpu department in that regard.
    Vega will need to have decent performance but priced better than the fury's where to have any chance a good sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Can you use http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
    ?

• Advertisement

vega needs to be at or better than 1080ti performance at less to be successful, its the same as their cpu battle with intel. People just go nvidia as the perceive it to be a better brand.

SickBoy wrote: »

good question, guess i will email evga to see if ill still be withing the 90 days on 1080ti release

vega needs to be at or better than 1080ti performance at less to be successful, its the same as their cpu battle with intel. People just go nvidia as the perceive it to be a better brand.

Top tier yes but there is a huge price/performance gap between say the rx480's and the likely 1080ti performance that need filling too.

just tried to get an answer on evga chat, but got the usual no info at this time spiel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

just tried to get an answer on evga chat, but got the usual no info at this time spiel

Keep an eye on the EVGA forums for information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's actually easier to sell the entire PC at the right time and buy again from experience. Selling my 4790K/980Ti build at the right time paid for a 6700K/GTX1080 build, and having sold the latter again, it'll now also pay for a Ryzen 5/GTX1080Ti build too (though this time around I'm not in a major hurry to I may hang on for Vega to see what the deal there is).

You just have to pick the right time!

c3drokwukaafty0-large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

can't lose money on a gtx 1080 if you never buy one

can't lose money on a gtx 1080 if you never buy one

Your on Facebook too much. :D

i loled haha, should just buy a console and a s***y laptop and be done with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thx for help on those lights. I presume they hook up to mains? I am actually so **** when it comes to household diy. :)
    I will need to talk to my neighbour to hook it up.

On topic: price slash on 1080 is actually interesting, but you can clearly see, that they dont have competition in 1070, 1080 and 1080ti range. 1070 did not even got a cut. I wouldnt mind upgrading from 1060 to 1070. 1080 is still crazy money in my opinion.
    Vega announcement was really ****. I think theu might have something ready for it, but nvidia price cut and 1080ti might have something to do woth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1070, 980Ti & Fury X are all around the same ballpark though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thx for help on those lights. I presume they hook up to mains? I am actually so **** when it comes to household diy. :)
    I will need to talk to my neighbour to hook it up.

Yep. As its mains and its going out into the elements you should have somebody qualified or at least competent wire them up for you unless there is an existing fixture you can replace.

ED E wrote: »
    Yep. As its mains and its going out into the elements you should have somebody qualified or at least competent wire them up for you unless there is an existing fixture you can replace.

Handy enough to do it. If there is a outside light at the front of the house just tap into it with a 1.5 mm cable. Only one problem is that a sensor light would need a constant feed so either leave the light on all night over the door(If there is one there) or just wire it directly into the switch just inside the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

farna_boy wrote: »
    Found this tool on techpowerup recently.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2848/radeon-rx-480

It gives a summary of whatever graphics card you have (in this case a RX480) and provides a relative performance chart compared to most other cards e.g. a GTX 1080 has 177% the performance of the RX480.

Now I presume this is compared to initial releases and it isn't updated with drives e.g. the 1060 still outperforms the RX480 by 12%, and I presume it must be for the standard spec card, but it could give some indication of expected performance increase if you are thinking about upgrading, especially for older cards to second hand newer cards.

Was thinking about this chart again.

Say if I had an RX480 and I was thinking of upgrading. If I just bought a second RX480 and assumed a 50% increase from crossfire (which probably isn't too far off the mark on average for a crossfire setup), would I get a GTX 1070 level performance?

Now it may be simple enough to compare an RX480 to a 1070 in reviews because they are the same generation, but if you have an older card and were trying to look at you options/benchmarks vs newer cards, this is very useful.

For example, I actually have a 7970GHz edition and I was thinking of upgrading. But I don't have that much money and to get a meaningful performance boost, it seems I would have to pay ~€250. However, if this chart is accurate, if I just buy a second card for crossfire, I could then potentially have an RX480/GTX1060 level of performance for only €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You rarely get the full benefit of CF in all games. Some support it some dont.
    If the game your most interested in does support it then its possibily a good idea.
    You might be safer off trying to sell your current card and putting the money from that towards a single card. Weigh up the options. Also worth waiting a few weeks to see what Vega has up its sleeve , even if its not super amazingly powerful, its pricing might work in your favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Crossfire/SLI is pointless. Breaks all the time/has loads of issues, especially in newer games, doesn't give 2* scaling, causes fan/cooling issues. Only place where it ever makes sense is where the top end cards are overpriced(1080/titan) and you're struggling to hit good framerates or the top end cards are simply not good enough on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For example, I actually have a 7970GHz edition and I was thinking of upgrading. But I don't have that much money and to get a meaningful performance boost, it seems I would have to pay ~€250. However, if this chart is accurate, if I just buy a second card for crossfire, I could then potentially have an RX480/GTX1060 level of performance for only €100.

First of all, agree with Cuddlesworth 100%. Sli/Crossfire is only viable when you're already at top tier of single cards and need a 2nd card to get more performance eg Sli GTX1080.

It's a nightmare for lesser cards, because crossfire/sli scaling can go from to 10%, to 20%, to 50, even 90-100 in a rare, well supported game (notwithstanding dual card support can often break in newer driver releases/game updates), and then simply not work at all in others, or even give worse performance.

Also have to factor in that you need a pretty strong power supply and a decent motherboard (all dual lane boards support Crossfire, but most will only do 16/4x instead of 8/8 which is faster) - your dual 7970 setup will consume over 400w under load on their own, not to mention you don't have any warranty on either card as well.

Meanwhile, an RX480 or GTX1060 is €250, guaranteed stable, reliable performance with a full warranty and sips on power comparatively.

At the end of the day, you would also get €80-100 or so for your 7970 so your actual upgrade cost is around €150, which isn't too far apart from the €100 outlay for a 2nd hand 7970.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

First of all, agree with Cuddlesworth 100%. Sli/Crossfire is only viable when you're already at top tier of single cards and need a 2nd card to get more performance eg Sli GTX1080.

It's a nightmare for lesser cards, because crossfire/sli scaling can go from to 10%, to 20%, to 50, even 90-100 in a rare, well supported game (notwithstanding dual card support can often break in newer driver releases/game updates), and then simply not work at all in others, or even give worse performance.

Also have to factor in that you need a pretty strong power supply and a decent motherboard (all dual lane boards support Crossfire, but most will only do 16/4x instead of 8/8 which is faster) - your dual 7970 setup will consume over 400w under load on their own, not to mention you don't have any warranty on either card as well.

Meanwhile, an RX480 or GTX1060 is €250, guaranteed stable, reliable performance with a full warranty and sips on power comparatively.

At the end of the day, you would also get €80-100 or so for your 7970 so your actual upgrade cost is around €150, which isn't too far apart from the €100 outlay for a 2nd hand 7970.

Maybe it has changed more recently, but I ran a crossfire set up for years and never really ran into any major problems.

From the chart above, a 39% increase would get me to an RX480 while a 55% increase would get me to a GTX 1060. I am aware of the limitations of crossfire/SLI setups and if I were to do it I would only ever assume that I was going to get a max of a 50% increase.

I bought the components for my current rig with upgrades to the CPU and graphics cards in mind, in particular for going crossfire or SLI if I ever decided to go that route. At the moment the weakest components are the graphics card (the 7970Ghz edition) and the processor (an i5 6500) but I have a Asrock Z170 Extreme 4 motherboard which can run either SLI or crossfire in x8/x8 configuration, 8GB 2666MHz RAM and an EVGA Supernova 750 G2 to power everything.

Considering I still only have a 24" monitor at 1080p and I can still get 60fps in almost everything I play at high or ultra I have no real need to upgrade yet but from looking at the chart I just got to thinking if I spent €100 on another 7970 GHz card, I could potentially get a 40% increase which could bring it into RX480 territory. However, if crossfire isn't supported as well as it used to maybe there is no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Maybe it has changed more recently, but I ran a crossfire set up for years and never really ran into any major problems.

From the chart above, a 39% increase would get me to an RX480 while a 55% increase would get me to a GTX 1060. I am aware of the limitations of crossfire/SLI setups and if I were to do it I would only ever assume that I was going to get a max of a 50% increase.

I bought the components for my current rig with upgrades to the CPU and graphics cards in mind, in particular for going crossfire or SLI if I ever decided to go that route. At the moment the weakest components are the graphics card (the 7970Ghz edition) and the processor (an i5 6500) but I have a Asrock Z170 Extreme 4 motherboard which can run either SLI or crossfire in x8/x8 configuration, 8GB 2666MHz RAM and an EVGA Supernova 750 G2 to power everything.

Considering I still only have a 24" monitor at 1080p and I can still get 60fps in almost everything I play at high or ultra I have no real need to upgrade yet but from looking at the chart I just got to thinking if I spent €100 on another 7970 GHz card, I could potentially get a 40% increase which could bring it into RX480 territory. However, if crossfire isn't supported as well as it used to maybe there is no point.

With DX11 games the support is pretty good. I've run SLI for 4 years and most games that I played had pretty good support (although maybe not on launch). DX12 has virtually no multi-gpu support so far. That may change down the road, but I expect that will be the typical situation for at least the next year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Is now a good time to buy a GTX 1060? I have had my eye on one for a while and the prices are starting to come down now. I will probably get one in the next 3 months.

Should I go for it or wait for something around the corner?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement