Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Oh no, I wouldn't do it. Just made me consider. Wouldn't be worth it imo. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Gumbi wrote: »
    Which model you get? It's an awesome card :)

Got the Tri-x OC edition that was recommended to me. Fantastic card so far

marko93 wrote: »
    Got the Tri-x OC edition that was recommended to me. Fantastic card so far

That card is great. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Anyone tried Newegg? They're shipping to Ireland now and the prices seem almost too good to be true.

Put together the same build I'm planning on getting in the coming months and its showing as a good 300 cheaper than from Overclockers or Hardwareversand.

Any ideas?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Anyone tried Newegg? They're shipping to Ireland now and the prices seem almost too good to be true.

Put together the same build I'm planning on getting in the coming months and its showing as a good 300 cheaper than from Overclockers or Hardwareversand.

Any ideas?

Wait until you get to the pleasant surprise of the taxes! :D

• Advertisement

Wait until you get to the pleasant surprise of the taxes! :D

Aha, I thought that'd be it. Such a shame because the prices looked sooo good.

PC put off for another month so, damn children and girlfriend wanting Christmas presents and food!

PC put off for another month so, damn children and girlfriend wanting Christmas presents and food!

Lol, happened to me too. I was thinking: Wait! They're now shipping to Ireland!? Do they have a warehouse in Ireland!? Then I got to it and all hopes were crushed. :P

Bah, Humbug! PC > Food :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Customs is what, 20%? Guessing it doesn't work out cheaper in the end that way.. :o

One of my graphics card fans isn't working.. :(

Missed the Amazon return date by a few weeks, currently chatting to support to see if there is anything I can do.

EDIT: I think that was the most frustrating experience I've ever had with an Amazon rep..
    08:47 AM GMT Luke: My computer has been making a lot of noise for a number of weeks now. I opened it up last night and found that one of my graphics card was being extra noisy, as one of the two fans has stopped functioning, so I guess it's working extra hard to keep things cool.. I was going to try returning it, but I've missed the return date unfortunately..

08:48 AM GMT Luke: I'm just wondering if there is anything Amazon can do to help me out here - Or am I stuck with a malfunctioning card

09:05 AM GMT Ma. Nonie(Amazon): Upon checking this item, I can see that it's already expired for the return window.

20 fecking minutes to parrot back to me what I said when I opened the chat..

Danger781 wrote: »
    Customs is what, 20%? Guessing it doesn't work out cheaper in the end that way.. :o

Does work out about the same to be fair, but in case of faults I'll stick with Over clockers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Lol, happened to me too. I was thinking: Wait! They're now shipping to Ireland!? Do they have a warehouse in Ireland!? Then I got to it and all hopes were crushed. :P

Bah, Humbug! PC > Food :P
    Do they not have a warehouse in the uk now for there UK section:
    http://www.newegg.com/global/uk
    Edit:
    Nevermind, found this:
    It's worth noting before ordering, however, that Newegg has no direct UK logistical presence; items ordered through Newegg Global will be shipped from the US to the buyer's country, with the company's checkout system estimating the tax and other fees to be paid during customs clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭Wossack

little bit on it from a thread on overclock.net:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1480601/so-has-anyone-in-the-uk-ordered-from-newegg-yet

seems the prices listed are excluding taxes and fee's, so comes up a fair whack once you've put in your shipping details

/edit though through my own testing, it seems its just adding shipping at 12 odd euro, and no % increase (so 107e HD coming in at 120e), so maybe duff info in thread I listed before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

One of my graphics card fans isn't working.. :(

Missed the Amazon return date by a few weeks, currently chatting to support to see if there is anything I can do.

EDIT: I think that was the most frustrating experience I've ever had with an Amazon rep..

20 fecking minutes to parrot back to me what I said when I opened the chat..

3 year manufacturers warranty on electronic goods sold in the EU. I just pulled this on a Gigabyte 280x that is out of warranty!

srumball wrote: »
    3 year manufacturers warranty on electronic goods sold in the EU. I just pulled this on a Gigabyte 280x that is out of warranty!

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Sadly that isn't the case. If you try playing that with Amazon they will shoot you down pretty fast if you can't prove that it was a fault with the actual card itself from the start and not a case of misuse. If you go to the consumer section on boards you'll find that it gets shot down quite fast.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Sadly that isn't the case. If you try playing that with Amazon they will shoot you down pretty fast if you can't prove that it was a fault with the actual card itself from the start and not a case of misuse. If you go to the consumer section on boards you'll find that it gets shot down quite fast.

I said manufacturer.... I went directly to gigabytes RMA team

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm - this is a little easier to read than the link poseted, i made a typo I should have said 2 year.

"The 2-year guarantee is an EU-wide minimum, and the laws in some EU countries may offer you longer limitation periods." "In some countries, once the first 6 months of the two-year guarantee period have passed, you may need to prove that the product was faulty or not as advertised when you received it, if the seller contests this. In some countries, there are also deadlines for contacting the seller after discovering the defect." - I have never heard of this being an issue though

Yeah I was planning on going to Sapphire next. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

srumball wrote: »
    I said manufacturer.... I went directly to gigabytes RMA team

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm - this is a little easier to read than the link poseted, i made a typo I should have said 2 year.

"The 2-year guarantee is an EU-wide minimum, and the laws in some EU countries may offer you longer limitation periods." "In some countries, once the first 6 months of the two-year guarantee period have passed, you may need to prove that the product was faulty or not as advertised when you received it, if the seller contests this. In some countries, there are also deadlines for contacting the seller after discovering the defect." - I have never heard of this being an issue though
    Yes you are entitled to a 2 year minimum. I thought Gigabyte offered 3 year warranties anyway?

Gumbi wrote: »
    Yes you are entitled to a 2 year minimum. I thought Gigabyte offered 3 year warranties anyway?

I basically quoted from that article to them and they had no issues. I'm not sure if they do 3 year warranty actually.

Yeah I was planning on going to Sapphire next. Nice one.

Support ticket opened. That took a loooong time to fill out. They were asking for details on every single component in my computer. Such a trek.

Support ticket opened. That took a loooong time to fill out. They were asking for details on every single component in my computer. Such a trek.

Wish I checked my email first...

Amazon have agreed to return it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I build most of my computer last night, no issues but I need ram, just turned it on last night to see what would happen but just got some fans turning for 1 or 2 seconds then it went off, hoping Ram will fix that and its not a bigger issue, will wait and see.

The cheapest Ram I could find was from Overclockers.uk, 8GB of Avexir blue for £50 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-078-AR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=1392. I will use parcel motel to deliver it.

Wish I checked my email first...

Amazon have agreed to return it! :D

Amazon have the best customer service ever. Honestly I'd rather pay a premium on parts from them just to have this level of service all the time.

So first off, they agreed for me to return the graphics card with the faulty fan even though I bought it about 15 months ago. Not only that, I can return it with free postage - Just need to send them the bill and they strongly recommended registered postage even though it is more expensive.

However, they do not stock this card anymore.. So, they are offering me a full refund. Just as a finishing touch to the experience, I said returning one card from a set of two is like returning one shoe from a pair. I just said this is inconvenient even though there is no problems with the card whatsoever.. They also agreed to return the second one for a full refund.

Good finish to an awful week I've had.

Amazon have the best customer service ever. Honestly I'd rather pay a premium on parts from them just to have this level of service all the time.

So first off, they agreed for me to return the graphics card with the faulty fan even though I bought it about 15 months ago. Not only that, I can return it with free postage - Just need to send them the bill and they strongly recommended registered postage even though it is more expensive.

However, they do not stock this card anymore.. So, they are offering me a full refund. Just as a finishing touch to the experience, I said returning one card from a set of two is like returning one shoe from a pair. I just said this is inconvenient even though there is no problems with the card whatsoever.. They also agreed to return the second one for a full refund.

Yeah, they're amazing from a customer viewpoint but the following has made me feel a bit... cautious of choosing them as my first pick even though I know I wouldn't make a difference lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXWJ4GfQ22E

Great stuff mate, happy you got it sorted with no hassle

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

4690k is 168 on Newegg with delivery to Ireland. soooo tempted to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

4690k is 168 on Newegg with delivery to Ireland. soooo tempted to upgrade.

Item will get auto removed when you add it to basket. Wont ship it to Ireland or UK.

Even if they did you would pay Duty/Taxes so it would work out around €207 give or take.

Better off buying it from Amazon for €210 in that case.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/black-friday-offer-4gb-gainward-gtx-980-phantom-pcie-30-7200mhz-1203mhz-core-1304mhz-boost-dvi3xmdp1?ProductId=107505

Tempted by this deal... very cheap for a 980

Just need to decide whether I'm better off investing in one big card or two moderate cards

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/black-friday-offer-4gb-gainward-gtx-980-phantom-pcie-30-7200mhz-1203mhz-core-1304mhz-boost-dvi3xmdp1?ProductId=107505

Tempted by this deal... very cheap for a 980

Just need to decide whether I'm better off investing in one big card or two moderate cards

Well, unless you were considering Gtx 970 sli, I would suggest you go for the single gtx 980 you posted above instead of another two moderate cards that offer less VRAM etc.

Well, unless you were considering Gtx 970 sli, I would suggest you go for the single gtx 980 you posted above instead of another two moderate cards that offer less VRAM etc.

Coming from a crossfire setup so open to anything.. Not looking to go too much over €500 but that's not a strict limit, just a guideline.

From what I've seen the 980 is one of the best single cards out at the moment.. anything in terms of SLI / Xfire that would compare? Or even another single card? Haven't kept up with the new ranges at all...

Edit: Should I just open my own thread?

• Advertisement

Coming from a crossfire setup so open to anything.. Not looking to go too much over €500 but that's not a strict limit, just a guideline.

From what I've seen the 980 is one of the best single cards out at the moment.. anything in terms of SLI / Xfire that would compare? Or even another single card? Haven't kept up with the new ranges at all...

Edit: Should I just open my own thread?

The gtx 980 is one of the best single cards definitely. For Price/Performance that's another thing. However, there's a lot of money off that gtx 980 so I'd be inclined to say to go for the 980.

I would usually recommend going for the gtx 970 and going for sli in the future if you really needed the power. What resolution will you be playing at?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement