Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is now a good time to buy a GTX 1060? I have had my eye on one for a while and the prices are starting to come down now. I will probably get one in the next 3 months.

Should I go for it or wait for something around the corner?

It's good value if it's within €25 of an RX480 8Gb; unless you're thinking of upgrading to a Freesync screen within the next 1-2yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

So, came up in one of the other threads, but I'm wondering where do folk look for older parts like the 3770K?

L wrote: »
    So, came up in one of the other threads, but I'm wondering where do folk look for older parts like the 3770K?

Adverts.ie
    CEX
    ebay
    Amazon

Beware of the prebuilts on Amazon, they're doing the "please contact us at xxx email" scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Any way to get back the old speedtest.net

the beta is awful but seems every time I go to the website its the beta now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

fast.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Folks, thinking on selling my desktop as with a baby around I need to build something a little smaller. No idea what to value it at but I'd like to think €400 isn't unreasonable.

Asus p6x58d-premium
    i7 930
    6GB ram
    2x 240gb SSD, brand new never used
    2TB hdd brand new never used
    Coolermaster aluminium case

I'll be keeping my gtx 980 so it'll come with a basic pci/dvi card.

What do ye think? Would I be asking too much for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd take out the SSD's (or 1 SSD and the 2TB HDD) and sell it with just one drive for whatever you can get, probably about €200-250 depending on the market. The SSD's won't really add their worth to the overall value as the machine is old and the i7-930 for example now as parts is only worth about €30, and bidders probably won't factor in their value properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Just got an rx480 8gb
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

what do ye think the aib 1080ti's are going to work out at?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

800 sterling?

• Advertisement

oh lord thats a pretty chunk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

what do ye think the aib 1080ti's are going to work out at?

699 UK pesos by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Throwing around new server ideas.

Anyone with a H440 care to measure the maximum width of motherboard that can be fitted before the HDD cages are hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Serephucus wrote: »
    Throwing around new server ideas.

Anyone with a H440 care to measure the maximum width of motherboard that can be fitted before the HDD cages are hit?

Can't measure it atm but it can fit an EATX board + roughly 2 inches where the grommet holes are before the cages so about 12-13 inches in total or 300-320mm. My Gigabyte windforce 3 gtx 970 graphics card is around the same total length. It reaches right near to the cages so find the length of that. ( It's 300mm) so around 310 should be reasonably accurate.

You can remove some cages if you need room though. 2 SSD mounts are on the bottom anyway and you can fit a HDD into the top and bottom and remove all middle cages if you need room.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Can't measure it atm but it can fit an EATX board + roughly 2 inches where the grommet holes are before the cages so about 15 inches in total. My Gigabyte windforce 3 graphics card is around the same total length. It reaches right to the cages so find the length of that.

Nice. Thinking 2670 EEB, or Ryzen/Naples. One better value and perf/watt, one with better upgrade path/more bells and whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Updated that post about 5 times since. Bit more info there now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nice. Thinking 2670 EEB, or Ryzen/Naples. One better value and perf/watt, one with better upgrade path/more bells and whistles.

Going 1P or 2P?

Not sure yet. Have to factor in space, power, etc. Also depends on how Naples shapes up, though If I go Naples route it'll probably be 1P route because price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

glynf wrote: »
    699 UK pesos by all accounts.

That's for the FE. AIBs will be dearer no doubt.

Not sure yet. Have to factor in space, power, etc. Also depends on how Naples shapes up, though If I go Naples route it'll probably be 1P route because price.

Go for the single, cant have anyone stealing my CB crown :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Dair76 wrote: »
    That's for the FE. AIBs will be dearer no doubt.

Yep, I assume add another 50 or so at least. Scan think early next week before they get stock, I'm holding out for the EVGA FTW3-done with SLI, so getting rid of 980ti's and doing a mATX/mITX build with one.

Sli 1080ti's, a man can dream :D

ED E wrote: »
    Go for the single, cant have anyone stealing my CB crown :rolleyes:

Not likely even if I did go 2P. What with your, what, 2699s? Not a chance. :P

Has anyone got a recommendation for a program, that I could use to test if my gpu is getting bottle, necked in DX 12?

My cpu is an FX83560 my gpu is an RX480 8gb model?

Has anyone got a recommendation for a program, that I could use to test if my gpu is getting bottle, necked in DX 12?

My cpu is an FX83560 my gpu is an RX480 8gb model?

Don't think it's possible to really test for bottlenecks without having a comparison.

What performance/games are you going for?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Don't think it's possible to really test for bottlenecks without having a comparison.

What performance/games are you going for?

Playing the Division, on Dx 12 high settings which it should be capable, the frame drops are pretty crazy and random.

I've got a few suspects my psu is getting old, which could be something to do with it? my monitor is designed for colour accuracy? opposed gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I put the 2x 980Ti's on adverts ;)

Not likely even if I did go 2P. What with your, what, 2699s? Not a chance. :P

2667v3s. And updating my BIOS wiped my cfg and now its not turboing so I'm down 20% :pac:

Headshot wrote: »
    I put the 2x 980Ti's on adverts ;)

You and your monitors and GPUs, know how to make the rest of jealous.

Random aside, I assume a 295x2 would be a stupid purchase at this point? Just love the AIO so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ED E wrote: »
    2667v3s.

Random aside, I assume a 295x2 would be a stupid purchase at this point? Just love the AIO so much...

There are a few up on adverts. http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_295x2/

But tbh a R9 Fury Duo would be the best buy. https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

• Advertisement

How did I miss that. Oh she is a pretty little thing. Shame about the €885 bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement