Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Playing the Division, on Dx 12 high settings which it should be capable, the frame drops are pretty crazy and random.

I've got a few suspects my psu is getting old, which could be something to do with it? my monitor is designed for colour accuracy? opposed gaming.

What CPU cooler & temps?
    Sounds like a CPU (thermal?) throttling problem more than power delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, either CPU overheating or else simply an 8-core being used in a poorly designed board which results in regular throttling (eg would go from 60fps down to 20fps momentarily then back to 60fps).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Anyone seen this?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/amd-naples-server-processor-more-cores-bandwidth-memory-than-intel/

AMD showed off Naples at their tech day last week. Looks incredibly good, at least from the limited info shown.

TL;DR - With this one test, apples to apples they're 2x better than Intel's 2699s. With the CPUs using all their cores and memory clocks upped it's 2.5x. No word on pricing, though if it's anything like Ryzen I'd expect them to be competitive.

Edit: Video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Hi folks,

I've been running my card since Saturday, and It's just lagging really badly I just can't seem to get a consistent frame rate, and its really bumming me out :confused:

411215.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Serephucus wrote: »
    Naples

Can you imagine if AMD took the datacentre back. Oh what a fun time consumers would have then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Hi folks,

I've been running my card since Saturday, and It's just lagging really badly I just can't seem to get a consistent frame rate, and its really bumming me out :confused:

411215.jpg

Use DDU to uninstall old drivers and reinstall latest driver.

What is your cpu?. What games are you seeing lag in?.

ED E wrote: »
    Can you imagine if AMD took the datacentre back. Oh what a fun time consumers would have then.

Indeed. Think I'll be buying up some more AMD stock soon just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

go back in time to last year and buy in at 2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just watched TTL 1080Ti review and seen when he stripped the card down that Nvidia could have put in 12GB or VRam. The slot was there as well so who knows why they went with 11GB.

Because that RAM chip needs stuff to interface with, which means more things have to be in the GPU, which eliminates the benefits of binning the chips, which means they can't sell them for cheap.

• Advertisement

I just watched TTL 1080Ti review and seen when he stripped the card down that Nvidia could have put in 12GB or VRam. The slot was there as well so who knows why they went with 11GB.

Had to make it somewhat gimped compared to the Titan XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Is anyone else thinking that next month might be a really good time to get some new components?

Was just thinking that if Article 50 is triggered by the end of the month, we might see a similar slump in sterling (for a while at least), bringing it close to parity.

Depending on the components, or builds this could save quite a bit of money. Time to start saving up I'd say.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Is anyone else thinking that next month might be a really good time to get some new components?

Was just thinking that if Article 50 is triggered by the end of the month, we might see a similar slump in sterling (for a while at least), bringing it close to parity.

Depending on the components, or builds this could save quite a bit of money. Time to start saving up I'd say.

Yes, but good god, I had no idea at the current state of ram prices and nearly lost it when I was buying some parts yesterday. Literally €130 for 16GB DDR4. When did that happen?!

Apparently, pretty recently.

g1y0hCH.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I assume demand for DDR4 has risen due to Ryzen release, and in turn price has too?

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I assume demand for DDR4 has risen due to Ryzen release, and in turn price has too?

AFAIK global demand for memory is outstripping supply, and/or many fabs are still switching production from DDR3 -> DDR4.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AFAIK global demand for memory is outstripping supply, and/or many fabs are still switching production from DDR3 -> DDR4.

I have been in the market for a daycent priced 550 or 750GB SSD and the NAND flash shortage has been screwing prices since I forgot to buy the 750GB Crucial last year @ 110£ during black friday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was going to get an 8GB DDR3 ECC DIMM the other day but noticed the price was way higher than you'd hope. Forgot about it but now it makes sense.

Sort it out lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Sure I bought a hyper x 960gig ssd last year for around the 200euro mark, same ssd is now 400, crazy times

Sure I bought a hyper x 960gig ssd last year for around the 200euro mark, same ssd is now 400, crazy times

Yeah, the NAND shortage is so bad, a number of places are converting their DRAM3 to NAND manufacturing, rather than DRAM4, which is gonna f**k those parts as well.

Jackasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

moores law ha :D

moores law ha :D

Moore can go f**k himself. :P

TBH I am thinking of just buying the 525 for 130£. It was only 115 at its lowest, excluding the BlackFriday madness sale of 80 [and the 750 was 107£]. I had just moded apt and was broke and couldn't get any. Goddammit

Seems the HyperX was 200£ for a while amazon.png?force=1&zero=0&w=725&h=440&desired=false&legend=1&ilt=1&tp=all&fo=0&lang=en

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

5d4a36193243b4162d7e9d5d6432b6031.jpg

Ending today Dell are selling the Inspiron 7000 Gaming with i5-7300 and GTX1050 for 899 delivered. Serious performance for the money, not far off the desktop GTX1050.

edit: for clarity it's a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ending today Dell are selling the Inspiron 7000 Gaming with i5-7300 and GTX1050 for 899 delivered. Serious performance for the money, not far off the desktop GTX1050.

edit: for clarity it's a laptop.

That is some value!

Actually on topic of this: Any decent up to 13inch laptops? I would be looking to play on it, but mostly indy games like factorio.

Size is most important thing, it will be pretty much for in bed/couch use. Does not need to be with greatest gpu etc. Not stupidly prices.

That is some value!

Actually on topic of this: Any decent up to 13inch laptops? I would be looking to play on it, but mostly indy games like factorio.

Size is most important thing, it will be pretty much for in bed/couch use. Does not need to be with greatest gpu etc. Not stupidly prices.

Used Alienware 13?

I'm just wondering,

Has anyone ever order any glass case's from mindfactory thinking of ordering this Or would it be dangerous during shipping because of the glass?

Sorry My second build is going to be thing of beauty, My first build is ugly as hell!!!

Most cases are using tempered glass, which is much stronger than your standard class.

My parents have tempered glass windows on their house, and they've survived many a football, for what that's worth. :P

Serephucus wrote: »
    Most cases are using tempered glass, which is much stronger than your standard class.

My parents have tempered glass windows on their house, and they've survived many a football, for what that's worth. :P

Bit more research and I may have my case :D

• Advertisement

Currently putting my 1700X build together. This Ram will really suit my build, here's the mobo has any one got any thoughts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement