Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Currently putting my 1700X build together. This Ram will really suit my build, here's the mobo has any one got any thoughts?

Your plucking straws at this point. Best option is to float around the manufacturers forums to see if the recent boards are having lots of similar faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I read on another forum that MSI are using sub par VRM's compared to Gigabyte and Asus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

I read on another forum that MSI are using sub par VRM's compared to Gigabyte and Asus.

Interesting. Could you perhaps provide a link?

Here you below. Mind you will have to do a lot of reading through the thread.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624051/vrm-on-the-new-am4-motherboards/280

EDit: http://www.overclock.net/t/1623547/amd-ryzen-motherboard-thread/1800 Post 1804 in that new link.

I asked over on that website and someone said it is a overblown issue buy with confidence. So really forget everything I said.

• Advertisement

I asked over on that website and someone said it is a overblown issue buy with confidence. So really forget everything I said.

Sweet? It's the only board I've seen that I want in a board, Really disappointed with what Asus released as their first boards on am4. I was hoping for something like this

Thanks for the link all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I'm just wondering,

Has anyone ever order any glass case's from mindfactory thinking of ordering this Or would it be dangerous during shipping because of the glass?

Sorry My second build is going to be thing of beauty, My first build is ugly as hell!!!

What case is that mate? Looks pretty as hell. From what I remember when I was doing my build, cases from Germany get expensive due to weight-to-shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Is there much performance difference in gaming between the i7 7700k and i7 7700 (non k)?
    Not sure which one to get for a Mini ITX build.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there much performance difference in gaming between the i7 7700k and i7 7700 (non k)?
    Not sure which one to get for a Mini ITX build.

K is overclocking. If you dont overclock theres no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

ED E wrote: »
    K is overclocking. If you dont overclock theres no difference.

K chips also run at higher stock speeds, use more power (higher TDP) and don't come with a stock cooler.
    Shougeki wrote: »
    What case is that mate? Looks pretty as hell. From what I remember when I was doing my build, cases from Germany get expensive due to weight-to-shipping costs.

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Thanks, I don't want to overclock for now and I have a 212 evo cooler, but is the extra clock speed worth the extra heat and power consumption?

Thanks, I don't want to overclock for now and I have a 212 evo cooler, but is the extra clock speed worth the extra heat and power consumption?

17% gain for 17% price difference :pac:

Shougeki wrote: »

Phantex evolve I think, However I'm waiting for for the British MP to activate article 50 so I get my pc parts for cheep :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not sure it's worth starting a new thread but a mate of mine wants me to put a build together for him after I convinced him he doesn't need to spend over a grand for a half decent gaming PC.

How's this for a budget build?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Mickeroo/saved/sCjgsY

I wasn't sure whether to go for the i3-7100 over the G4560 or not but it seems like only a marginal gain for twice the price?

He'd only be aiming for 1080p @ 60fps with a budget of around €600 and I figured the above would be a good starting point with the ability to upgrade cpu/gpu down the line if he wanted to more high end.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It might be worth waiting for the Ryzen R5 and R3. They shouldn't be too far off and should hopefully offer better value for money.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not sure it's worth starting a new thread but a mate of mine wants me to put a build together for him after I convinced him he doesn't need to spend over a grand for a half decent gaming PC.

How's this for a budget build?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Mickeroo/saved/sCjgsY

I wasn't sure whether to go for the i3-7100 over the G4560 or not but it seems like only a marginal gain for twice the price?

He'd only be aiming for 1080p @ 60fps with a budget of around €600 and I figured the above would be a good starting point with the ability to upgrade cpu/gpu down the line if he wanted to more high end.

Good build.
    G4560 performs at near-i3 levels in games.
    Just check if it would be cheaper to buy in Euro (e.g. Mindfactory).

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks guys. Yeah I was wondering about the Ryzen r3/r5 so I might suggest he waits if he's not in much of a hurry.

Will price it for him on mindfactory before I send him on the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

What's the general consensus on NVME drives folks? I don't know much about them (aside from being pci-e based rather than sata, if that's even the case?), and am wondering if the higher ratings compared to sata ssd's are real world cases? Am looking at the following:

Drive 1 - An M.2 850 Evo, 540/500, @ £109.99

Drive 2 - An M.2 SM961 Polaris, 3100/700, @ £149.99

Does anyone else find it weird that we get a lot of build requests from new accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The massive bandwidth difference between SATA and PCI-E is all I can see. I think it's that PCI-E drives aren't well supported right now and so demand is lower. I don't know much about any downsides to those drives though.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it weird that we get a lot of build requests from new accounts?

Shucks, my previous ex-Admin account with 30k+ posts wouldn't have got that response...
    Xenoronin wrote: »
    The massive bandwidth difference between SATA and PCI-E is all I can see. I think it's that PCI-E drives aren't well supported right now and so demand is lower. I don't know much about any downsides to those drives though.

Yeah the bandwidth is obviously a lot higher with NVME, but does it translate into real world difference? It seems I made a mistake, drive 2 above is half the capacity :o

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

A lot of requests from new accounts doesn't seem very odd to me and bar any other info would take it as an endorsement and sign the PC Building and Upgrading section attracts new sign-ups to boards ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They're probably just googling it and get directed here from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Inviere wrote: »
    What's the general consensus on NVME drives folks? I don't know much about them (aside from being pci-e based rather than sata, if that's even the case?), and am wondering if the higher ratings compared to sata ssd's are real world cases? Am looking at the following:...

Why is the seemingly cheaper drive, significantly better spec wise?

The cheaper drive has a much lower capacity and the 850 EVO isn't NVME/doesn't use PCI-e.

There are waaaaaaay more lurkers than there are contributors on forums.
    People searching "build PC Ireland" get sent here & sign up to ask advice. They probably have other things going on that mean they're not forum-regulars.
    Same on any of the subs that are centred around advice I'd imagine - any regulars of the vaping sub know the amount of newbies that spring up constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yeah the bandwidth is obviously a lot higher with NVME, but does it translate into real world difference? It seems I made a mistake, drive 2 above is half the capacity :o

Heh, missed that too. As far as I can see, it doesn't actually make a difference unless you are a power user and need the massive bandwidth. A normal everyday user will maybe see a second (probably less) difference in starting windows from either one.

minitrue wrote: »
    A lot of requests from new accounts doesn't seem very odd to me and bar any other info would take it as an endorsement and sign the PC Building and Upgrading section attracts new sign-ups to boards ;)

Not everyone is a new user ;) But yes, I'm in the process of putting a new rig together & have found the info and help here to be most useful. As a long term user of Boards (10 years, ex-Admin, 30k+ posts), I don't think pointing out new users is a particularly welcoming trait on any forum, and doesn't encourage future participation. Though up until right now, nobody has even mentioned it so things are all good here :)

Getting back to the (off topic) topic, the low difference between NVME & SSD price wise, coupled with the apparent performance advantages, would seem to suggest going NVMe is the smart thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Not really, some people want a personalised PC spoonfed to them by Irish people, this is a free service B&U provide, and we're the only place you can get your recommendation so personalised. Boards has a handful of thousands of members in a country of what, 4.5 million? Pretty small overall, good chance you'll know someone who browses, small chance it's you. Statistically, there's a higher chance someone looking to avail of B&U doesn't browse boards as a whole. I dunno if you'd notice, but I do see the odd person who sticks around an joins other discussions after signing up for a build.

That went on for way too long.

I'm sure loads of the other fora see the same thing tbf.

Inviere you mooch of volunteer time, for gaming/OS drives only, I don't think they're worth it, you're cutting seconds from seconds in most cases. Imo, Sata will be fast enough for your regular user for a few more years.
    *Edit* Checking NVMe prices now
    **Edit2** Jesus those prices have dropped nicely, haven't Sata prices gone up recently or am I imagining that?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Getting back to the (off topic) topic, the low difference between NVME & SSD price wise, coupled with the apparent performance advantages, would seem to suggest going NVMe is the smart thing to do?

c5U1j2D.png

EDIT: Damnit typo in the screeny, Doh!

Inviere you mooch of volunteer time,

Lol, don't worry, I've paid my dues here on Boards over the last ten years :D
    for gaming/OS drives only, I don't think they're worth it, you're cutting seconds from seconds in most cases. Imo, Sata will be fast enough for your regular user for a few more years.
    *Edit* Checking NVMe prices now

So not a huge benefit...
    ED E wrote: »
    c5U1j2D.png

EDIT: Damnit typo in the screeny, Doh!

...yet the speeds there suggest there's a noticeable difference. Argh, what to do! Building pc's used to be much more straight forward! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You know you want it, and you want us to put you off it i think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement