Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Honestly it depends on what you're using. I work in some IDEs that read a rake of files, they open in a flash. Thats convenient as all hell.
    256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/ V-NAND MLC Togg
    Item# 65218	€178.06 EUR	1	€178.06 EUR

The price per gig for me makes it worth the step up. Even if you dont push it now things are only getting bigger.

How much ePeen do you want? Thats the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

You know you want it, and you want us to put you off it i think

I'm genuinely undecided. My only concern here is to get value for my money. If I'm dropping money on parts, and an extra £40 gets me a far better part, then colour me interested. If it's not going to yield any real world benefits, I'll put the difference back in my pocket. Y'know, like most people would...

ED E wrote: »
    Honestly it depends on what you're using. I work in some IDEs that read a rake of files, they open in a flash. Thats convenient as all hell.
    256GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/ V-NAND MLC Togg
    Item# 65218	€178.06 EUR	1	€178.06 EUR

The price per gig for me makes it worth the step up. Even if you dont push it now things are only getting bigger.

How much ePeen do you want? Thats the question.

It'll be for the primary OS drive in a HTPC/Gaming rig (W10, Steam, Origin, local media file playback through Kodi)...nothing that'll push the system really. As I said above, if I'm dropping money on a drive, I don't mind splashing a tad more to get a faster drive...but if what I'm using it for wouldn't make any odds, then I'll stick with an 850 Evo SSD...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't mind me, I'm just feeling very cynical lately ;)

C'mon Ryzen 5...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Inviere wrote: »
    It'll be for the primary OS drive in a HTPC/Gaming rig (W10, Steam, Origin, local media file playback through Kodi)...nothing that'll push the system really. As I said above, if I'm dropping money on a drive, I don't mind splashing a tad more to get a faster drive...but if what I'm using it for wouldn't make any odds, then I'll stick with an 850 Evo SSD...

Depending on the games you're looking to play, I'd try and get a bigger drive. 256GBs doesn't last long when you have something like GTA taking up 70GBs of that.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Don't mind me, I'm just feeling very cynical lately ;)

As did I last year & closed my account. I'm back now as a lowly peasant, but am enjoying Boards again which is nice :)
    C'mon Ryzen 5...

Ugh, don't even go there. If asking about NVMe's got me into trouble here, I'd be lynched if I start about the 7700k v 1600X :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Inviere wrote: »
    Y'know, like most people would...

PC enthusiasts are not like most people :D

For an OS drive I'd get a big Sata SSD and call in a day, i think an NVMe would be wasted for what you've listed.

Depending on the games you're looking to play, I'd try and get a bigger drive. 256GBs doesn't last long when you have something like GTA taking up 70GBs of that.

I'll very likely be only installing one or two games at a time, I built this last year which is a dedicated gaming machine & lives in the games room (handles everything required of it, and then some). This new machine will be geared more towards emulation and HTPC duty - the emulation will require a strong cpu (think I'll go 7700k) with as high an IPC as I can afford. I'll just Steam Family Share then from the previous build to handle any gaming I want to do in another room (the gaming room has been claimed by my son!)

PC enthusiasts are not like most people :D

For an OS drive I'd get a big Sata SSD and call in a day, i think an NVMe would be wasted for what you've listed.

Cool, more savings for me, yay :) Thanks for the advice folks!

Figured someone here may be able to help with an Amazon order.

IPARCEL_IE_EXPRESS are fulfilling my delivery

That's Ascendia isn't it?

• Advertisement

Figured someone here may be able to help with an Amazon order.

IPARCEL_IE_EXPRESS are fulfilling my delivery

That's Ascendia isn't it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057055966

Grand, cancelling the rest of it. Cheers ED

I ordered ram there from Amazon on the 9th March, dispatched on the 11th March, was expected on the 21st, and still no sign of it. That's Ascendia.

Conversely, I ordered a PSU there from Amazon on the 22nd, it's now the 24th, and it's out for delivery since this morning. That's with An Post.

Go figure...

Amazon Prime here, takes an extra day to dispatch but always get Parcel Express. Predictably arrives between 9:50 and 10:20.

ED E wrote: »
    Amazon Prime here, takes an extra day to dispatch but always get Parcel Express. Predictably arrives between 9:50 and 10:20.

I'm in the middle of a trial of Prime, should the express post be free of charge despite Intl delivery to RoI?

Yeah, using SuperSaver delivery. Prime eligible items only obviously. Spends a while dispatching as they transport it to Ireland then its handed over to AnPost in Dublin 17.

I'd rather buy elsewhere than pay Amazon extra to ensure i get the items i paid for on time. It's a bit of a joke if that's what they've descended into.

I'd rather buy elsewhere than pay Amazon extra to ensure i get the items i paid for on time. It's a bit of a joke if that's what they've descended into.

I generally stick to Amazon wherever they're competitive price wise, as their customer service is excellent. Any Ascendia issues I've had in the past have been rectified immediately by Amazon, hassle free. So while it can be a pain if they ship with a poor carrier, I know I'll be looked after one way or another. I generally don't mind if it takes a few days longer to get here. Have used Overclockers too in the past, found them grand with zero issues thankfully. Have heard mixed reports on their customer service though...

I wonder how things might change though when the Brexit trigger is pulled.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I just use parcel motel now even if i can get free delivery to Ireland, generally have stuff within 5 days.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I just use parcel motel now even if i can get free delivery to Ireland, generally have stuff within 5 days.

I've switched over to Parcel Wizard (DPD) instead of Parcel Motel - find it a lot better, though I tend not to use it with Amazon incase it complicates any issues with delivery (it's possible they can get sticky about a third party delivery agency)

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »

They dont treat their employees very well and ignore tickets completely from November to Feb so I've stopped using them. Try Address Pal or Parcel Wizard instead IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Cheers for the heads up on Parcel Wizard. I've been using Parcel Motel, and was collecting in UCD. But waiting times were getting ridiculous - it was taking three days from getting the depot notification email for packages to arrive at the collection locker. I know that that's probably down to sheer volume of parcels/customers using that particular locker, but still... PW looks like a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Was all ready to do a new cabling job on my rig this weekend, but the Amazon seller didn't send me the correct amount of SATA cables :(
    Guess I'll put it off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Was all ready to do a new cabling job on my rig this weekend, but the Amazon seller didn't send me the correct amount of SATA cables :(
    Guess I'll put it off again.

You mean, you will just rip everything apart and put it all back tidy?! Why would you do that! For me its: case door closes? Yes. Done! No? Shuffle everyrhing inside and try again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Idk is it worth waiting for 3rd party custom 1080ti's?

I could buy a founder edition now but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Unless you know you're going to put a water block on it, I'd wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I can't remember.

For preordering, Overclockers UK take the money straight away instead of waiting for shipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Headshot wrote: »
    I can't remember.

For preordering, Overclockers UK take the money straight away instead of waiting for shipment?

Straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Any one else got exchange rates on refresh today �

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Any one else got exchange rates on refresh today �

Don't forget how many of the bigger UK e-sellers raised their prices when Brexit went through so savings might not be that great :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement