Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

dunworth1 wrote: »
    it wont make any difference its locked via mac address on their network

Didn't realise that. Tey managed to have one out to me Friday evening in the end.
    Hope you didn't tell virgin that they will probably charge you for sending the engineer out and the new hub. Best of luck, better put the charm on the engineer ;)

Yeah, told themn a kid spilt liquid. :P They sent it part only in the end which was fine. Will see if they are charging me next bill :P Either way the numpty is paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Lu Tze wrote: »
    This happened me previously, stuck a computer up on adverts after checking everything was working several times, a SFF PC. Was a couple of weeks before I accepted a bid, organise a day and time for him to pick up. Better do one last check - nothing! Nothing powering up. After stripping and rebuilding (a few times) I was getting power intermittently. Thought it was the breakout board for the external PSU. Was honest with the guy and explained and said I was going to replace if he could hold on. He was dead on, said he wasn't in an rush, replacement board came in the post, everything hunky dory.

Do you have another PSU you could check with? How old is the current one?

I do actually I'll give that a go maybe it is the psu, I've feeling it could be to do with the boot device did all the ram cheacks both sticks

Reseated the cpu

Disconected everything reconnected everything. Removed hard drives still its powering up but its like its going into safe mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Windows safe mode?

Disconected everything reconnected everything. Removed hard drives still its powering up but its like its going into safe mode.

Try booting off a USB stick with a linux image or some such on it, if you have one spare. Will take the sata channels out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Two question for you folk,

1) Is there anywhere else bar the corsair website I can order replacement parts for a case? The 2 HDD trays on my Air540 are banjoed. They cost €2 each, but delivery is 15?

2) What are the seagate barracuda 1tb drives like speed wise. I was used to 2x1tb WD Blues in Raid0 but that has since died and I've 1 out of the 2 drives that works but barely... can't afford an appropriately sized SSD so will have to go with another HDD and get on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Is it just me or have prices on various components shot up massively recently.

For example looking at from when I built my PC literally two years ago.

Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB was £44 when I bought it, now it's £59.

SK Hynix 256GB SSD was £55 when I bought it, now it's £73.

GeForce GTX 970 was £266 when I bought it, I guess the equivalent to it would be the 1070 which goes for a minimum of £359.

What the bloody hell happened? All I wanted to do was throw some extra RAM into my PC to play Cities: Skylines a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Is it just me or have prices on various components shot up massively recently.

For example looking at from when I built my PC literally two years ago.

Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB was £44 when I bought it, now it's £59.

SK Hynix 256GB SSD was £55 when I bought it, now it's £73.

GeForce GTX 970 was £266 when I bought it, I guess the equivalent to it would be the 1070 which goes for a minimum of £359.

What the bloody hell happened? All I wanted to do was throw some extra RAM into my PC to play Cities: Skylines a bit better.

The pound is about 20% weaker than it was 2 years ago. In addition, RAM prices worldwide have spike recently due to strong demand, and I believe also SSDs to a lesser extent.

The gtx 1070 is about 60% faster than a gtx 970 so that's not really a like-for-like comparison. Even the gtx 1060 is slightly faster than the 970.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Would a Corsair SF450 PSU be ok for a 7700k and 7870/future RX580 or should I get the SF600?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Luck100 wrote: »
    The pound is about 20% weaker than it was 2 years ago. In addition, RAM prices worldwide have spike recently due to strong demand, and I believe also SSDs to a lesser extent.

The gtx 1070 is about 60% faster than a gtx 970 so that's not really a like-for-like comparison. Even the gtx 1060 is slightly faster than the 970.

To be fair though he's right, the GTX1070 is a class replacement for the GTX970.

In the same way the GTX970 replaced the GTX770, the 770 the 670, etc, offering superior performance at similar price

The GTX1070 was/is priced way higher than the norm for new cards because Nvidia have zero competition.

You you filter down the chain, the cards normalise out, eg the GTX1050 is the same price as the GTX750 was and is buckets faster, etc.

but anyway yes the other prices are due to demand, the GTX1070 is just price gouging really.

Luck100 wrote: »

RAM was always a volatile market. SSD problem is transition from 2D to 3D NAND is causing problems - delays on outfitting plants, and cannot produce it fast/quick enough. Coupled with Laptops now coming with SSDs by default on 1/3 of models, there is quite a large shortage, that could potentially last until the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Picked up this for 300eu from my brother in law. His old allienware 13.

i5 4210 8gb ram 256gb ssd, 860m. 2560x1440 touchscreen.

Not great, but for that price will do me until I buy proper laptop. This will be more then enoigh to run factorio too. :)

IMG_20170411_124018_zpszzz9cg3r.jpg

Not great, but for that price will do me until I buy proper laptop. This will be more then enoigh to run factorio too. :)

IMG_20170411_124018_zpszzz9cg3r.jpg

...when you're finished with it let me know :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

To be fair though he's right, the GTX1070 is a class replacement for the GTX970.

In the same way the GTX970 replaced the GTX770, the 770 the 670, etc, offering superior performance at similar price

The GTX1070 was/is priced way higher than the norm for new cards because Nvidia have zero competition.

You you filter down the chain, the cards normalise out, eg the GTX1050 is the same price as the GTX750 was and is buckets faster, etc.

but anyway yes the other prices are due to demand, the GTX1070 is just price gouging really.

Sorry meant to come back to this.

Terror has it straight up in terms of what I meant.

I was thinking of upgrading my and the OH's PCs a bit, as well as working on a proper one for my kids, but these prices are just a bit too much at the moment.

marko93 wrote: »
    ...when you're finished with it let me know :pac:

Hehe, get in a queue lol. My misses has dibs already. :)

Really happy with it, cant wait to get back home and slap steam on it. I definitely couldn't get anything similar for that price.
    Storage is a bit low, but managable. I think it has that new m2 expansion slot though. Might add one more 256gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just finished putting my new SFF PC together. I'm totally sold on m-itx as high quality gaming/media capable machines, but bloody hell, cable management is a job in itself with this form factor. It really highlights the need for quality cables, not the usual pack in stuff.

Hehe, get in a queue lol. My misses has dibs already. :)

Really happy with it, cant wait to get back home and slap steam on it. I definitely couldn't get anything similar for that price.
    Storage is a bit low, but managable. I think it has that new m2 expansion slot though. Might add one more 256gb.

Damn! They really seem like decent machines, hopefully it treats you both well :p

marko93 wrote: »
    Damn! They really seem like decent machines, hopefully it treats you both well :p

In faorness, there is feck all options for 13inch gaming laptops. I personally think its a golden spot. 15 is just way to big to be comfortable on lap or in bed.

I would never buy allienware pcs, but their laptops are cool. I was looking at i7 6700hq 16gb ram and 1060 for 1650eu, but had to pay 1100eu for insurance yesterday so it will have to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CVHFw7uXIAAwIvl.jpg

That's a stellar deal! You could sell it tomorrow for almost twice that.

In faorness, there is feck all options for 13inch gaming laptops. I personally think its a golden spot. 15 is just way to big to be comfortable on lap or in bed.

Few 13/14 inchers with 1060s here: http://www.ultrabookreview.com/11702-laptops-nvidia-1060/

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can someone help me out, I really need a legitimate windows 7 professional 32/64 bit.

I don't have a key yet, just need the iso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Serephucus wrote: »

Nice.

Never seen that before. I presume that all safe to download etc ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jesus, creators update takes FOREVER to install. Set it going when I wouldnt need use of the machine but annoying just to see it in the corner still spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Replaced that cmos battery thanks for the help lads. Will see next time pc is unplugged if it was dead :pac:

Have some old NVidia drivers on my system counted about 5 gb that I can see. Was wondering does anyone know of a program that will purge old GPU drivers. I seen this program "DDU" on another site but don't know if it safe or even good.

Can do it through cmd prompt but have a feeling it will take about 4 hours to go through all the oem #'s.

I have been just deleting the old driver folder in the NVIDIA folder but some of the old drivers I seen on disk were dated for last year when I installed gpu. Clean installing from now on stopped using GeeForce Experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

DDU is great to use.It should ask you to run it in safe mode which is recommended so let it reboot for you and continue.

game4it70 wrote: »
    DDU is great to use.It should ask you to run it in safe mode which is recommended so let it reboot for you and continue.

Have you used the update display drivers/hardware drivers one?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,243 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is probably a bit of a noob question, but would second monitor affect my gaming performance much? It would only be a cheap 1080p one to use for general browsing etc while I game on the 1440p g-sync. I currently just use the laptop but it's annoyingly slow and takes up desk space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Mickeroo wrote: »
    This is probably a bit of a noob question, but would second monitor affect my gaming performance much? It would only be a cheap 1080p one to use for general browsing etc while I game on the 1440p g-sync. I currently just use the laptop but it's annoyingly slow and takes up desk space.

Nah you'll be fine. I use a 1440p gsync as my main and a qnix 1440p as a second and there's no impact on performance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Have you used the update display drivers/hardware drivers one?
    I didn't think it had an option to use it to update the drivers.I just download the latest driver from either Nvidia or AMD's website.

• Advertisement

WTAF. 24GB (8gb) of Display drivers DDU got rid of. Does NVIDIA have shares in SSD's or something? that was 10% of the SSD taken up.

EDIT:

Wait a minute I just got 24GB of disk space back.
    Rebooted after safemode then restarted still 24gb.
    Installed the latest NVIDIA driver for the gpu.
    Lost 24GB.

How does that work exactly?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement