Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

meh, i really hope that amd pull out something close to 1080ti performance with vega at a lower cost

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Serephucus wrote: »
    Here's one for yas: Anyone have a copy of Starfleet Command 3? I have the game, but apparently it's the image I ripped years ago got lost, and the disk has since been damaged enough that I can't install from it. This one:

Pretty sure it is abondonware as the publishing company is gone out of business. Have a seach for the title with "abandonware". Don't want to post anything here as I am not sure of the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shougeki wrote: »
    Pretty sure it is abondonware as the publishing company is gone out of business. Have a seach for the title with "abandonware". Don't want to post anything here as I am not sure of the rules.

Pretty sure Activision are still around ;)

It does seem to be abandoned though.
    GOG only have the first game available to buy:
    https://www.gog.com/game/star_trek_starfleet_command_gold_edition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Wow mind factorys customer service is appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wow mind factorys customer service is appalling.

What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Apologies, the developer! From a different forum:
    Chriteria for abandonware is usually one of the following
    * Released for 5 years
    * Contract expired between the two companies
    * The developper is no longer in buisness.
    In this case, the last two a true (The first would become true this January actually [post was from 2006]). There was also a big lawsuit between Activision and it's developpers.

Anyways, there seems to be copies around alright.... A quick google should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Apologies, the developer! From a different forum:

Anyways, there seems to be copies around alright.... A quick google should help.

Thanks for the help lads. I've had a wander around all the usual places. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get it on Amazon.

Can we really put a price on childhood memories?*

* Yes, we can: €17 with delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I stand before you, ashamed.

Took the PC apart for cleaning.
    Reapplied TIM, but was wondering why the machine was so loud during games.
    Did benchmarks and was seeing 71C on the CPU.

Turns out I had applied waaaaaay too much TIM - it should be the size of a grain of rice.
    Temps are back in the mid-50s now... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I stand before you, ashamed.

Took the PC apart for cleaning.
    Reapplied TIM, but was wondering why the machine was so loud during games.
    Did benchmarks and was seeing 71C on the CPU.

Turns out I had applied waaaaaay too much TIM - it should be the size of a grain of rice.
    Temps are back in the mid-50s now... :pac:

I fecking hate putting it on , size of a pea , size of a grain of rice , make an X , do 4 dots . Jesus ! can't someone make a strip that you just stick on and be done with it , I'm not good at making decisions on how much is enough/too much !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Sheogorath

jonski wrote: »
    I fecking hate putting it on , size of a pea , size of a grain of rice , make an X , do 4 dots . Jesus !
    Haven't actually built a pc yet (soon...) but think I like Carey's method

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Over the years ive reseated my cpu cooler 3 times after cleaning it on my current PC. Ive used the grain of rice,two small dots and the spread method,all produce pretty mich the same result.

Putting too much on is more what you have to look out for rather than how you apply the right amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone update to Windows 10 Creators?

Tempted to but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Headshot wrote: »

Tempted to but not sure

Yep, pretty slow install. Removed a few bits (Classicshell etc, so check Windows.Old/Program Files [x86] ).

Only issue I've seen yet is autobrightness turning the screen to basically off every boot. Have to go in and disable it each time.

Headshot wrote: »

Tempted to but not sure

Not until I'm sure someone has a telemetry nuking app for it.

What happened?

Emailed them about my order because I had not heard from them and receive this:

We have not sent the order because we do not have the cooler in stock and we do not know when we will recieve this product.

Yet komplett have allready made people aware of when they will have them back in.

Emailed them about my order because I had not heard from them and receive this:

We have not sent the order because we do not have the cooler in stock and we do not know when we will recieve this product.

Yet komplett have allready made people aware of when they will have them back in.

Was the cooler listed as ordered without an expected date when you placed the order?

Sheogorath wrote: »
    Was the cooler listed as ordered without an expected date when you placed the order?

They were in stock, obviously some had the priority option.

Anyone thinking of picking up one of these wonderful OLED monitors when they're available here?

dell-monitor-up3017q-right-hero-504x350.png

They were in stock, obviously some had the priority option.
    Ah fair enough, that''s pretty annoying alright

Serephucus wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of picking up one of these wonderful OLED monitors when they're available here?

dell-monitor-up3017q-right-hero-504x350.png

Ive been using the pro art range from asus for 4 years now, its only 1080 but ive never been called by my printer to.be told theres a colour inaccuracy.

• Advertisement

TFW you order fan speed reducers and they arrive 160 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Anyone any recommendations for fan splitters/hubs ?

Motherboard just has the CPU fan and system fan headers on it but I want to connect at least 4 case fans to it.
    I'd like to have some control over the speed as well (quieter on idle, ramp up when gaming etc)
    I don't have any spare pci slots and my case doesn't have any 5.25 slots on the front for an external controller.

will56 wrote: »
    Anyone any recommendations for fan splitters/hubs ?

Motherboard just has the CPU fan and system fan headers on it but I want to connect at least 4 case fans to it.
    I'd like to have some control over the speed as well (quieter on idle, ramp up when gaming etc)
    I don't have any spare pci slots and my case doesn't have any 5.25 slots on the front for an external controller.

I mounted one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006Z8LB6S
    reversed in a HDD cage. Its internal so obviously cannot be controlled without the door off but has a nice side effect of illuminating the CPU cooler with a soft blue glow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

ED E wrote: »
    I mounted one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006Z8LB6S
    reversed in a HDD cage. Its internal so obviously cannot be controlled without the door off but has a nice side effect of illuminating the CPU cooler with a soft blue glow.

Yeah you could mount something like this outside the case or on your desk.

if you want software control of the fans you could splice and connect all the control pins for the 4 case fans to one system fan header, I think this will only work if its pulse width modulated PWM style fan speed control and they would all be running at the same speeds then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Got myself a pretty good deal for €600 here I think. The case and power supply are €500 alone new. Picked it up and it's in perfect condition.

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/i7-3770k-gtx690-gaming-pc-in-mint-condition/11749132

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

BloodBath wrote: »
    Got myself a pretty good deal for €600 here I think. The case and power supply are €500 alone new. Picked it up and it's in perfect condition.

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/i7-3770k-gtx690-gaming-pc-in-mint-condition/11749132

The GPU is pretty old at this stage but still seems like a good deal over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »

What was the specs of your old PC?

3570k, 8gb ram, 970.

I'll be gutting the above PC for some minor upgrades and selling a second one to recoup the money. It's basically a free upgrade.

Card is old sure but still worth about €150. It outperforms the 970/980 in games that support SLI. Granted it doesn't have as much memory.

I'll be selling that big case separate. It's a custom water coolers dream. The thing is huge. I still have a big Thermaltake case that I will stick the second build in. My own case is the Nzxt H440.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The GPU is pretty old at this stage but still seems like a good deal over all.

At first I was thinking I was missing something when I very casually looked at the spec's but to be fair considering the actual parts in there, it's a very good deal.

Switch the GTX970 to the new PC and sell the old one with the GTX690 and you shouldn't be out too much for significant upgrades in (presumably) every area - processor, case, power supply, motherboard, ram, cooling hard drive, etc. :)

Lovely PC - glad that the person who bought it appreciates what's actually in it!

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the plan. It's a much higher spec than mine. This thing was top of the line in every area when it was bought. I'd say it cost the guts of €2500 new about 4 years ago.

I'll probably use everything except the case and Raptor drive. I'd sooner have a 512gb SSD.

I love the case but it's really too big for my needs. The H440 already feels too big. It's the perfect case for someone doing a big custom loop with a couple of big rads, reservoirs and pumps though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement