Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,183 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

id sell you a amd 290x 8GB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

The gtx 980 is one of the best single cards definitely. For Price/Performance that's another thing. However, there's a lot of money off that gtx 980 so I'd be inclined to say to go for the 980.

I would usually recommend going for the gtx 970 and going for sli in the future if you really needed the power. What resolution will you be playing at?

2560x1440

My xfire 7950s did me well until now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Ninjah Tigah

Danger781 wrote: »
    2560x1440

My xfire 7950s did me well until now :)

I'd say that going with the gtx 980 may be best for you if you're playing at 1440p. Any dual solution at the same price of £350 wont be over 2gb of vram I don't think.

I'd say that going with the gtx 980 may be best for you if you're playing at 1440p. Any dual solution at the same price of £350 wont be over 2gb of vram I don't think.

So you reckon this is the best value for money in this price range? Say <€600?

So you reckon this is the best value for money in this price range? Say <€600?

Hmm, well in this situation because the gtx 980 is only £350 it is. However, if it went back up to £400+ I'd be saying to go for a gtx 970. Currently £350 is the exception to the rule in my eyes.

• Advertisement

Decided I'm going to hold off until Amazon process my refund. Would have been leaving myself a little tight on funds otherwise. Might look into SLI 970's then.. Bound to be some more deals coming up soon :)

Decided I'm going to hold off until Amazon process my refund. Would have been leaving myself a little tight on funds otherwise. Might look into SLI 970's then.. Bound to be some more deals coming up soon :)

I hope so... Hardwareversand haven't decided whether to refund me yet or not so watching all these Black Friday sales pass by... They better have it sorted before Christmas. I'm thanking them in one way though. Means that either way, the gtx 970 8gb gets closer to release(if it is gonna come out.) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

Just bought the Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB MX100 from Amazon lightning deal, now I'm not sure I need it or not lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Grabbed one of those myself, just 'cause. Might well not use it, but for €75, it's a pretty damn good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Serephucus wrote: »
    Grabbed one of those myself, just 'cause. Might well not use it, but for €75, it's a pretty damn good deal.

Damn i messed it and was only looking at a new ssd recently. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Eidos Montreal have announced their new in house game engine, the "Dawn Engine."
    ...In the past, we’ve relied on existing engines for our games. But in the end, we found that our creative vision was somehow limited. So we decided it was time for us to invest in creating an engine tailored for our needs.
    The result of this work is the Dawn Engine. Based on a heavily modified version of IO Interactive’s Glacier™ 2 engine,...

It will be used to develop future games in the Deus Ex and Thief IPs.

I was going to stick a screenshot here but it's quite big so I'll just link to it:
    We wanted to share a first glimpse of what we aim to achieve, with a screenshot taken directly from the Dawn Engine. Keep in mind – despite any hints you may pick up from this image, this screenshot was only taken in order to display the level of detail and artistic fidelity that is possible with the Dawn Engine.
    http://cdn.eidosinteractive.com/mtl/marketing/Community/Blog/DAWN/DAWN_ENGINE_inengine_screen_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Anyone here have any of those ultrawide monitors from LG, namely the 34inch 1440p ones? I see there is a curved version out recently too. Seriously tempted to ditch my surround setup and go with one of those and it would be less taxing on my GPUs too. Backlight bleed is a concern though which is making me hesitant.

Just pulled the trigger on a Z97-A and G3258. The fans on my build have been annoying me for a while, and the Z77 board I have has very few fan headers, and crappy fan control, where-as the ASUS one has awesome temperature-reliant fan curves you can set up from within the BIOS.

... So there'll be a Z77 Ex4 and delidded 3570K for sale in a week or so. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Serephucus wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on a Z97-A and G3258. The fans on my build have been annoying me for a while, and the Z77 board I have has very few fan headers, and crappy fan control, where-as the ASUS one has awesome temperature-reliant fan curves you can set up from within the BIOS.

... So there'll be a Z77 Ex4 and delidded 3570K for sale in a week or so. :P

Have you already ordered??

MRTULES wrote: »
    Have you already ordered??

I have, yeah. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Received a shiny new GTX 970 yesterday, the Palit Jetstream one. Curious to try out this 0db tech. Excited! :D
    Anyone have any experience with using a dedicated PhysX Nvida GPU on PhysX heavy games? Playing Warframe @ 120fps w/ 660ti and the biggest drops are when there's tons of special particle effects going on so I thought if I could lift the load off the main GPU onto a dedicated processor it might help things out. Some benchmark links would be great, too.

A few years ago, I had two GTX 285's in SLI with a 9800GT for Physx. There was little GPU usage on the 9800GT but I definitely noticed a performance increase. I know it's a bit old now, but there's a thread on TPU with a few benchmarks and real-world opinions.

I think the idea of having a dedicated Physx card is largely redundant now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

roast wrote: »
    Received a shiny new GTX 970 yesterday, the Palit Jetstream one. Curious to try out this 0db tech. Excited! :D

A few years ago, I had two GTX 285's in SLI with a 9800GT for Physx. There was little GPU usage on the 9800GT but I definitely noticed a performance increase. I know it's a bit old now, but there's a thread on TPU with a few benchmarks and real-world opinions.

I think the idea of having a dedicated Physx card is largely redundant now though.
    Nice. I wonder how the cooler is. You can probably get 1500mhz out of the core on that chip, even more.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Nice. I wonder how the cooler is. You can probably get 1500mhz out of the core on that chip, even more.

Reviews suggest the cooler is pretty decent, though the fans are apparently a bit loud at 100%

Not gonna do any overclocking for a couple of months (until I get a new board/cpu) as I'm unfortunately going to be horribly bottlenecked anyway. :(

roast wrote: »
    Reviews suggest the cooler is pretty decent, though the fans are apparently a bit loud at 100%

Not gonna do any overclocking for a couple of months (until I get a new board/cpu) as I'm unfortunately going to be horribly bottlenecked anyway. :(

Overclock it for the lulz for now :)

Overclock it for the lulz for now :)

I'll probably end up getting curious and doing it anyway! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Thinking of putting a GTX970 into my workstation.
    It only has a single 6 pin PCIe power connector coming from the PSU(635W).
    If I used a single 6 pin to double 6 pin adapter cable would it work?
    These are the specs of the PSU
    330960.PNG
    Current spec 2 x E5- 2650 Xeon, AMD FirePro W7000, 2 10k 2.5" SAS drives and an SSD.

It should do. A Dell-brand 635W PSU I wouldn't trust though. I doubt that thing can sustain a 600W load for any appreciable length of time. Even less than that. A good 450W PSU is more than enough for a 970, but I'm not so sure I trust that PSU...

It should do. A Dell-brand 635W PSU I wouldn't trust though. I doubt that thing can sustain a 600W load for any appreciable length of time. Even less than that. A good 450W PSU is more than enough for a 970, but I'm not so sure I trust that PSU...

You think? I always thought Dell power supplies were highly regarded, especially in there workstation systems.
    Also it's 80 plus gold, it wouldn't get that certification without being able to sustain it's rated loads would it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Dell don't make the PSU though. Flextronics do and, IIRC, they make the AX-i series for Corsair as well. Not cream of the crop like your Deltas or whatever, but pretty decent.

My bad. If it's certified 80 plus Gold, you're golden :pac:

My bad. If it's certified 80 plus Gold, you're golden :pac:

Thanks Gumbi.
    Does anyone think those Xeons would bottle neck a 970? Lots of cores but not very fast :(

SickBoy wrote: »
    Thanks Gumbi.
    Does anyone think those Xeons would bottle neck a 970? Lots of cores but not very fast :(

They turbo to 2.8 which is not too bad. I would grab a cooler and overclock them to 3.5 or something (no idea how well they overclock but that should be easily possible.

It depends on the game. If the game utilises multiple cores well you won't be bottlenecked, if they don't, then you might be. However many games are GPU limited so you'll get a lot out of your 970 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Best sub 100 euro GPU??
    Would love peoples thoughts on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

MRTULES wrote: »
    Best sub 100 euro GPU??
    Would love peoples thoughts on this.

R7 260x 1GB version?

Or this 2GB version

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-R7260X-DC2OC-2GD5-1188MHz-Express-Graphics/dp/B00FSC51TU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1418033695&sr=8-5&keywords=r7+260x

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement